View Full Version : Adult Nationals - what to expect

Mel On Ice
11-17-2004, 11:28 AM
Big hooray, I'm planning on competing at my first ever USFSA Adult Nationals next year. I've competed at two ISI Adult Championships, but know there's just no comparing them.

What can I expect for my first time? I have absolutely NO expectations of getting out of qualifying, I'm going for the experience and having fun saying "I'm going to Nationals!" Before anyone says "you never know," I do know I'm destined for the cellar since my hardest jump combo right now is a loop-loop and the waltz-half loop-sal.

For the most part, many of my friends who have gone to AN and competed have told me tales of this amazing support group, great friendships forged, a general love-fest where everyone applauds everyone.

Then there's the other side, the one that makes me shy and self-conscious of my abilities to skate. I guess I'm intimidated by some of the things I've heard and read recently. Pysching competitors out, cut-throat attitudes, mean-spirited sniping.

Is it just a matter of attitude? Or do I have it easier being on the lower rungs of the ladder, the bronze "just happy to be here" group? Or am I being naive, competition is competition?

I guess I just want to say I want to go, do my best, have fun and not sweat it. And I'm still bringing the champagne...!

skaternum
11-17-2004, 11:46 AM
Before you get a bunch of serious replies ... :P Every so often I trot this out -- thought it might be time. It was posted to the rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational newsgroup in April 2000.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I just got back from my first trip to Adult Nationals, and I was so impressed with Lake Placid and my fellow skaters. Overall, it was a wonderful experience: supportive spectators, lots of ice time, and friendly competitors. On the plane coming home, I jotted down a few thoughts to share. All are written in the spirit of the event, so don't try to read TOO much into them.

What I Learned At My First Adult Nationals
1. People who place ahead of you in your group are clearly sandbagging. :-)
2. People who place behind you in your group skate at the appropriate level.
3. Average looking skaters rarely get into the "highlights" video.
4. Skaters who train full time and hire choreograhers almost always place better than those who don't.
5. If you wear a really glitzy costume, you'd better have the skating skills to match it.
6. Club jackets are cool!
7. Doctors should NEVER attend adult pairs events as spectators unless they've recently increased malpractice insurance. The events are as scary as you might think.
8. Interpretive events are either REALLY good or REALLY bad.
9. Adult skaters really do move on the ice differently from people who skated as kids.
10. A good, professional cut of music is worth paying a few extra dollars for.
11. Don't put complicated spins or footwork in your program unless you've seen a video of yourself doing them and they look okay. Don't trust your friends - see for yourself.
12. Adults look silly with hair and body glitter.
13. There are an almost infinite number of ways to "put up" long hair.
14. "Presentation" is actually easier in an arena than in a practice rink.
15. There are very few prima donnas in adult skating.
16. Twelve pairs of ice dancers are too many on one warm-up session.
17. Ten hours under fluorescent arena lights will give you a splitting headache.
18. Don't drastically increase the amount of time you spend on the ice prior to your events. Weak points (e.g., knees or back) will start to complain.
19. Crowds watching competitions are most supportive at lower level events. Support is directly proportional to the skater's need for encouragement.
20. God is saving a special place in Heaven for judges who endure hour after hour of Bronze level freeskates. It is right next to the place in Heaven for the coaches who coach the Bronze level freeskaters.
21. Men should not skate with change in their pockets.

Figureskates
11-17-2004, 11:53 AM
As a member of the host club at Lake Placid, I agree with all your points.

Just want to emphasize that the attitude of the Adults is so refreshing compared to all the other events I have volunteered at with the club. There is not the "attitude" which makes it a lot of fun. Try a few days behind the registration table at a sectionals, regionals, or Junior Championships.....I have seen some skating moms from hell. The adults was a totally different and fun experience....one of these years I am going to be on the other side of the table and on the ice.

Stormy
11-17-2004, 02:29 PM
Try a few days behind the registration table at a sectionals, regionals, or Junior Championships.....I have seen some skating moms from hell. The adults was a totally different and fun experience....one of these years I am going to be on the other side of the table and on the ice.

ITA!! I've worked at an Easterns and many Club competitions and an Adult Nationals and AN was definitely the most fun. Too bad my club won't bid on it again! :(

ETA: Next AN will be my first one too! I can't wait!

Figureskates
11-17-2004, 04:05 PM
ITA!! I've worked at an Easterns and many Club competitions and an Adult Nationals and AN was definitely the most fun. Too bad my club won't bid on it again! :(

ETA: Next AN will be my first one too! I can't wait!

I hope you have fun.

My club can't wait to bid on it again. We have had it four times so far. I am hoping by then to be retired up there, since now we travel back and forth between Lexington, MA and Lake Placid. One other competition that was up there as being a lot of fun were the Synchro Nationals in Lake Placid in 2002.

Hannahclear
11-17-2004, 04:10 PM
I'm age eligible in one more year!

I'm shooting for the 07 Adult Nationals. I should be able to pass the tests by then, if not sooner, to compete in bronze.

Thin-Ice
11-18-2004, 02:44 AM
Mel On Ice

One other thing you need to consider about AN is which age group you will be in. Some of the Bronze I skaters are just passing through on their way to Gold and are much more competitive in attitude than say the Bronze III groups.. most of whom are just happy to be there. Usually there are more Bronze I skaters than Bronze III, so you'll have a wider cross-section of humanity in the younger age groups... that means more exposure to different types of people. There are all kinds of people at AN -- but remember we're all skaters and can truly appreciate all the hard work that goes into putting together ANY program at any level.

This will be my 10th AN. :idea: My best advice for your first AN is: practice hard so you feel confident and ready to perform, LOVE your program(s), make sure you bring a notepad so you can jot down the names/addresses/emails/phone numbers of all your new friends, remember we do this for fun.. and HAVE A BLAST!!!

We're all looking forward to meeting you! :D

LWalsh
11-18-2004, 09:40 AM
My club can't wait to bid on it again.

Figureskates - Does that mean that they have a bid in for 2006? Oh please tell me they do!

Lwalsh

Mel On Ice
11-18-2004, 09:52 AM
Thin-Ice

I'm 35, so I'm in my last year of Bronze I eligibility. Like I said in my first post, I have no delusions that I will make it out of qualifying, I've seen the quality of bronze skaters in I, and I truly am "just happy to be there."

Love both my programs! My coach and I just finished choreographing a new Bronze program for me this past weekend and it's awesome. I've branched out into the progressive rock genre, and am using an instrumental by my husband's favorite band. I'm moving faster than before, but then again, there was lots of need for improvement in that department. 8O My interp is fun and cool, and I love the dress and the footwork.

And some of my "me against the world" fears were squashed times two yesterday. I had a phone conversation that reaffirmed my faith in the positive vibes in the adult skating community. I have consistently competed against (we both prefer to say "with") the test chair of a neighboring FSC. She's taking her Bronze tests this next month, hell-bent on going to Nationals too. We had a great conversation about our goals and fears and wished each other the best of luck and promised to gab later when we compete against each other in 3 weeks. That helped me refocus on the fact this is a "friendly" competition, and if we both skate great, we both win.

The other instance was an envelope I got in the mail from a competitor who beat me soundly at the ISI Adult Champs. She sent pictures of us posing together with our medals, and included some of my teammates competing. From this one chance meeting has sprung an outstanding friendship!

And yes, I can't wait to meet you too!

skaternum
11-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Some generalizations I've heard: (1) The people who skated as kids are more competitive in attitude and less chummy than adult onset skaters. (2) High age class + low test level = nutso who takes their skating way too seriously. Peronally, I think it's always dangerous to generalize about people. The adult skating community is just like any other bunch of people in that there will always be a few cranks who take it/themselves way too seriously. They may be old, young, returning, adult onset, whatever. Crazy is crazy. :) But the adult skating community, especially at AN, is one of the friendliest, most supportive group of "competitors" I've ever been around. I guarentee that if you are the tiniest bit receptive, you'll come back from AN with a bunch of new friends and some wonderful memories.

<mushy sentiment alert> I still get all misty when I think about my first AN. I really went into it with no expectations, but the whole experience was almost magical. I won't bore you with the details, but except for getting stuck in the death trap elevator at the Northwoods Inn in Lake Placid :frus: , it was probably one of the best weeks I've spent. Just magical! </mushy sentiment alert>

NoVa Sk8r
11-18-2004, 11:14 AM
Ooh, I cannot wait to go; I'm a first-timer as well.
I hope my nerves don't get in the way. But it sounds like the experience will be magnificent. Here's hoping for "magical" instead of "traumatic!" :)

Skaternum, will you be joining us in Kansas City :?:
If not, I'll have to find some other person to share my vodka with. :lol:

Mel On Ice
11-18-2004, 12:18 PM
NoVa, there will be plenty of people who will take you up on that.

NoVa Sk8r
11-18-2004, 12:41 PM
Haha ... don't I know it! :D

NoVa, there will be plenty of people who will take you up on that.

flo
11-18-2004, 12:59 PM
Hmmm... what to expect:
Lots of people, long lines, 500+ black or blue roller bags (mine is leopard print), event ice monitors with the patience of saints, 30lb makeup bags, 7am practices,12:40 am practices, skaters and coaches who thought this was the olympics, a trail of feathers and sequins from the parking lot into the rink, a much sought out "quiet room", lots of "spirits" (as we found to be the correct term in PA.), always someone to volunteer to put you on the ice, sweet loc kids who are just amazed that we are upright, lots of encouragement, a fair share of sandbagging as well as "how on earth did they pass their test?", no sleep, new friends, and even a good bit of skating.
My suggestion: Get lots of rest the weeks before, and, unless you trip over it, just enjoy whatever comes your way.

starskate6.0
11-18-2004, 01:02 PM
Good advice from Skternum there Mel on ice.

I skated my first AN last year and had a blast , met some fabulous people.
Don't forget to say hello when you walk into the dressing room, break the ice and say hi, you will find a lot of friends and conversation in a hurry.

Adults don't realy skate against each other, more like with each other.
My first experience was very good and I will be at the gold level this year for the fist time. Iv already skated at my first competition in Aston at the Halloween event at this level and the guy's where great and cheared each other on.

My advice is too find music that excites you and you just love, if you don't love it you can't express it, also skate for the fun and joy of entertaining others as well as your self, It will breed confidence in your ability no matter what level you skate at. If you love it your nerves will melt away with the smile on your face and the crowd will be with you and so will the judges.

" The greatest risk in life is not takeing one"

:)

starskate6.0
11-18-2004, 01:06 PM
Flo

"That was great" I loved it. :lol: :bow:

skaternum
11-18-2004, 01:17 PM
Skaternum, will you be joining us in Kansas City :?:
Nope, you'll have to find a new drinking buddy. In case you haven't noticed, I'm not competing in singles freeskating this year at all. I'm really trying to buckle down and make some improvement in my skating skills. I don't do a singles program every year, anyway. Getting one choreographed and trained for competition just eats up so much of my ice time. In years that I do compete, I find myself getting better at competing, but not any better at skating!

And following the New Years comp in VA, David & I are going to take a little break from pairs. We just don't have enough ice time to spread that thinly. I really enjoy our venture into faux pairs (David is one of the sweetest people on the planet and we have so much fun!), but just needed some time to work on singles skating skills. <sniff> It's not a divorce; just a seperation. :lol: We'll resume again at some point, I'm sure. Watch your mail for the press release. Ha!

manleywoman
11-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Some generalizations I've heard: (1) The people who skated as kids are more competitive in attitude and less chummy than adult onset skaters.

As one of those in that category, I don't really think we're less chummy at all. I wish people didn't have that assumption. :?? I'm happy to cheer for anyone and put anyone on the ice.

NoVa Sk8r
11-18-2004, 01:30 PM
I, too, feel this way. It's hard to work on new elements or polish up the fundamentals when you are so tuned to competing and working on the performance aspect.

I'm really trying to buckle down and make some improvement in my skating skills. I don't do a singles program every year, anyway. Getting one choreographed and trained for competition just eats up so much of my ice time. In years that I do compete, I find myself getting better at competing, but not any better at skating!

Hmmm, a separation ... sounds like a great idea for another pair team that I know so well (is Loops reading this?).
Unfortunately, we have enough ice time, so I'll need another excuse. 8-)

Actually, I feel like pairs skating has greatly improved my singles skating. My crossovers are atrocious, but they've got to be better for pairs, so I'm working hard on that. This is the reaction from Loops and coaches when they see my crossovers: :frus: 8O :!:

Well, I enjoyed watching you and David skate together. Y'all have great flow and a clean, smooth line. I look forward to the press release announcing the rapprochement. :P

And following the New Years comp in VA, David & I are going to take a little break from pairs. We just don't have enough ice time to spread that thinly. I really enjoy our venture into faux pairs (David is one of the sweetest people on the planet and we have so much fun!), but just needed some time to work on singles skating skills. <sniff> It's not a divorce; just a separation. :lol: We'll resume again at some point, I'm sure. Watch your mail for the press release. Ha!

LoopLoop
11-18-2004, 01:59 PM
8O As long as the vodka is AFTER the pairs event... Not before lifting and throwing me!!!

LoopLoop
11-18-2004, 02:01 PM
And following the New Years comp in VA, David & I are going to take a little break from pairs. We just don't have enough ice time to spread that thinly. I really enjoy our venture into faux pairs (David is one of the sweetest people on the planet and we have so much fun!), but just needed some time to work on singles skating skills.
:cry: :cry:

NoVa Sk8r
11-18-2004, 02:06 PM
You are NO fun at all! :P
Actually, I thought you said I could have one drink beforehand to calm me down (?)

8O As long as the vodka is AFTER the pairs event... Not before lifting and throwing me!!!

sk8er1964
11-18-2004, 02:06 PM
As one of those in that category, I don't really think we're less chummy at all. I wish people didn't have that assumption. :?? I'm happy to cheer for anyone and put anyone on the ice.

Me too.

flo
11-18-2004, 02:23 PM
Thanks!
Manley & 1964 - I've also found the former kids not as "chummy" - not disagreable, but with a different approach, possibly from what they were use to experiencing in competitons as kids. But usually when they see that AN is a different animal, and how encouraging the atmosphere can be, they are as well. I've also found that some of the returning skaters are great supporters of adults. They knew how hard it was to come back, with an older body, to a sport they knew, and have respect for those of us who, with an older body, are learning the sport for the first time.

starskate6.0
11-18-2004, 03:13 PM
I too feel the pain of 45 year old bones and have to work out off ice for 20 minutes before I lace them up and get out there. But I do believe in the power of positive thinking my mind often does triples but the reality is some what limiting."ha ha" Come on Back...bend :frus: :lol: :lol:

daisies
11-18-2004, 05:33 PM

I'm also in that category! And after meeting manleywoman in Lake Placid, I can vouch that she is super nice!!! :)

I've also found the former kids not as "chummy" - not disagreable, but with a different approach, possibly from what they were use to experiencing in competitons as kids. But usually when they see that AN is a different animal, and how encouraging the atmosphere can be, they are as well.

I think this may be true. I had no idea what to expect at my first adult competition; my only experience was as a kid, and I remember how cut-throat it was. But I recall within the first day of AN in Wilmington, I heard a child yell "yay Mommy" from the audience, and from that moment on I knew adult skating was different, encouraging and special. I've been to all 10 ANs, and God willing I'll go to the next 10. But even if I weren't skating I would still want to go. That's how awesome it is!

starskate6.0
11-19-2004, 08:44 AM
In responce to the come back kids,I think they realize that this is a different animal, but I understand it from both sides of the fence. I think the come back kids are suprized to see someone like 77 year old Barb out there doing a witch number at the halloween skate, What a fabulous number, and did you see that costume close up ?? 8O the detail was amazing not to mention the go for it attitude of the woman her self, I watched her at last years nationals as 76 old bones and she brought the house down.

:bow: I look forward to seeing what the imagination of this woman comes up with next year. I too was a come back in a strange way, without a lesson or coaching I joined shows from 23 to 34 and then hung them up
( its a long story ) but came back to take lessons and do test for the first time in 2002 and I learned about competitions events and how they work with Adults and I can only say I have never been so happy to skate with such a great bunch of people in Adult competitions. :) :P

And it is alway's a joy to watch you all and see what those imaginations come up with. "wow

Figureskates
11-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Barb is a hoot and a member of my skating club. You have to watch her on practice ice....she's faster than a lot of the kids!!

starskate6.0
11-19-2004, 11:12 AM
Which club is that??....Please send my regards to Barb and say hello, tell her Ross from Ice works say's Hi , I thought her number was fabulous. :bow:

Figureskates
11-19-2004, 11:28 AM
Skating Club of Lake Placid.

Carleenp
11-20-2004, 04:29 PM
I am still in learn to skate (adult level 4), so obviously I won't be competing. But I live in Nebraska and am about a 3-4 hour drive away. I would also like to try adult competition at some point if I can get there, so I figure I will drive down to AN in KC and watch. So I will be there in the stands cheering on every skater there and mentally sending good wishes! :)

starskate6.0
11-21-2004, 09:54 AM
Hi Carleen

Im sure we will all be glad to meet you at the nationals in KC, Remember you don't have to be a super star to compete, there are levels for adults you may be able to compete in if not at the nationals. Look into the pre bronze moves to start with for the test levels, and if you realy want to get going there are adult events in many adult competitions with no test level requirements at all so in theory you could start as soon as you like at no test. Of course its all a matter of what your comfortable with.

I hope you will introduce your self and to many of us here at the forum we would love to say hello. :)

Michigansk8er
11-21-2004, 10:26 AM
Mel,

I wish I could be there to cheer you on, but it's not looking promising at the moment.

Just go have fun, and enjoy your skate...............but sign up for practice ice just in case. I never in a million years expected to make the final round my first year, so I didn't buy practice ice. Boy was that a mistake..........and a very L-O-N-G wait at Lake Placid trying to scrounge up a session or two.

I'm so excited for you!!!!!!