View Full Version : Can my boots be saved/reused?

tidesong
11-17-2004, 08:59 AM
My boots are nearly 2 years old now and the support on the ankles its still way better than my last boots before i decided to change. However, the bottom part that holds the screws are gradually rotting away. Some of it just got so bad that when I tried to tighten them today the screw just went round and round without biting deeper into the boot. And apart from that it has been getting loose regularly and moves around when I skate (after which I straight away get them tightened).

What i wonder is that can any skate stores do anything with those boots or are they good as gone if I decide to buy new boots and reuse the old blades (which are still in very good condition)

Mrs Redboots
11-17-2004, 10:38 AM
It does sound like it's time for new boots, but ask your teacher to have a look at them first, before you make a final decision. You can probably plug the holes with something, rather like you do holes in the wall when they are too large and you use a Rawlplug or plastic wood or Polyfilla or something - there must be an equivalent to use on the soles of your boot. Your teacher will probably know, or at least know who to ask.

TashaKat
11-17-2004, 12:11 PM
Is it the actual sole that has rotted or are the screw holes just too big now?

If it's the former then it's probably going to mean a new pair of boots but if the screw holes have got too big you can pack them with a flexible filler and then screw the screws back in once the filler is dry. In an emergency I have packed the hole with cut-off matchsticks!

vesperholly
11-17-2004, 12:27 PM
My skate tech doesn't put screws in all the holes, so that when one gets too loose, he can move the screw to a new location.

To prevent this in the future, always take your skates out of the bag after you skate so they can dry completely between sessions.

tidesong
11-18-2004, 02:34 AM
The screw holes are getting rotted and also the sole around the blade as in the front and back part, the part near the middle is still fine but not as close to the blades.
I always take my skates out of my bag to dry completely after skating sessions, but it doesnt seem to help.
I didnt know there were proper fillers, the people at the rink put some wood scraps in as a temporary measure (and it got loose after skating for two hours). My question is that will it last for another four months coz thats when the competition is and I would rather change it now than realize that it really cannot hang on anymore a week before the competition. I do have some holes left as a backup measure on the front of the boot, but the back of the boot has already have the backup holes screwed in too. Just wondering how long a boot can last when it has reached this stage, because yeah its only my second proper pair and I dont want to mess up before the competition. And I will ask my coach about fillers thanks :)

Mrs Redboots
11-18-2004, 07:10 AM
While you're at it, Tidesong, ask your coach about getting new boots - you're quite right, if you're going to do that, now's the time. It sounds, from what you say, as though it is the time! If your coach agrees with me (and I can't tell without seeing your boots), do check with them whether you should stay in the same level boots/blades, or go up a level.

blue111moon
11-18-2004, 09:22 AM
You could contact the manufacturer and see if they can re-sole the boots. I had Reidell do this on one pair; it took about a week and only cost me for shipping. Plus they re-conditioned the white leather so the boots looked like new but without the break-in pain. I got another two years use out of the boots after that and then gave them to a recreational skating firend who still uses them four or five years later. (I can't remember how old my current boots are.)

It's worth a phone call anyway.

InsideAxel
11-18-2004, 09:30 AM
I second blue111moon's suggestion. I have always skated in Reidells and whenever repairs were needed, they were very pleasant to deal with. Maybe your manufacturer will be as accommodating.

Another option is this: I used to do roller figure and we mounted our plates to the boots by drilling all the way through the soles and using small machine-style bolts to anchor them. On the inside of the boot is where the flat head of the bolt goes (covered by the insole) and then the plate is secured with lock washers and nuts from the bottom. The excess bolt is then trimmed away with a Dremel tool or something similar.

Good luck,

Kelton