View Full Version : Elbow Bursitis

Blosmbubbs
11-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Last month I fell on my elbow doing a layback. I went too far back and just fell. It still hurts with certain movements or if I wear too many layers against it. Should I go to the doc and see if they can help it?

NickiT
11-13-2004, 05:49 AM
This isn't encouraging. I fell on my elbow last week and the pain isn't really improving. I haven't had it checked out as I'm pretty sure it's nothing more than a bit of bruising, but it looks like it could drag on for a while.

I hope your elbow feels better very soon.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
11-13-2004, 06:16 AM
A few weeks before I started Learn-to-skate lessons I tried to turn and fell, squashing my arm - I didn't do any real damage, but it was several days before I could even wash my face..... and a long time before it didn't hurt.

NCSkater02
11-13-2004, 07:02 AM
If you landed square on it, you may have bruised the bone. They take forever to heal....speaking from experience. Last year, I fell square on my left knee--just before my first competition. I couldn't do anything on an outside edge for several months that didn't hurt like the devil. Right now, I'm nursing the elbow that I fell on a couple of weeks ago--similar to you--fell on a scratch spin--leaned too far back.

vintagefreak
11-14-2004, 04:31 PM
I've fallen on my elbows many times and the worst falls seem to be when I'm barely moving. Anyway, these falls always result in a scary looking bump on the bottom of my elbow that are very painful but always resolve with ice and compression bandages. I was told by one coach that this is bursitis and the body naturally pumps fluid (swelling) into the area in order to protect itself. She recommended an elbow pad but I always just keep wearing the "ace" type bandage until it feels better, usually 4 or more weeks. When in doubt, see a doctor though. ~AF

Carleenp
11-14-2004, 08:14 PM
I had hip bursitis once (from running instead of from skating) and a cortisone shot helped a ton with it. Often with cortisone you have to be careful because it can make the pain go away, yet the area is still healing and so then the temptation to not rest it sets in and then it just comes back. I learned that the hard way! But I would think that with an elbow, that wouldn't be as big of an issue with skating. You might want to see a doctor to rule out other issues and see about that.

Of course it could be a deep bruise/bone bruise, and that I think just takes time. Lord knows I think I have a permanent one of those on my right knee! As soon as it gets better I bang it hard again. I am starting to get used to permanent knee bruises from skating! :frus: :lol: