View Full Version : List of Adult Competitions

manleywoman
11-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Hey all. I had to make a list for myself to see what upcoming competitioon I could do before Sectionals, and just thought I'd go ahead and make a list of all the upcoming adult-friendly events in the next six months. Certainly if you all have some to add, lets list them here.

---------------------------
December 10, 2204
Dune of Flanders Cup
Dunkurque, France

January 7-8, 2005
Ice Aged Classic
Alberta, Canada

January 22-23, 2005
Sunshine Adult Challenge
Pembroke Pines, Florida

February 5-6, 2005
New Year's Invitational
Ashburn, Virginia (just outside of DC)

February 19, 2005
Deborah Burgoyne North American Invitational
Wyandotte, Michigan

February 19, 2005
Eastern Sectionals and NY Winter Classic
Chelsea Piers, NYC

March 4, 2005
Midwestern Adult Sectionals
Colorado Springs, CO

March 11, 2005
Pacific Coast Adult Sectionals
Tacoma, Washington

April 6-17, 2005
"Cup of Germany" for adult skaters
Grimma (near Leipzig), Germany

April 13-17, 2005
U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships
Overland Park, Kansas

May 28-29, 2005
Vana Tallinn Trophy
Tallinn, Estonia

June 3, 2005
Mountain Cup Adult International
Villard-de-Lans, France

June 10–12, 2005
ISU Adult International
Oberstdorf, Germany

June 28–1 July 2005
Fabulous Skaters' Cup
Cologne, Germany

---------------------------

Personally I'm hoping to do New Years Invitational as a warm-up for Sectionals, but since I'm competing Easterns I have to ask my coach if she thinks it's a good idea to do a competition so close to Sectionals. Plus I have to consult with my checkbook to see if I can afford another entry fee and flight.

sk8pics
11-10-2004, 11:46 AM
Don't forget that the NY Winter Classic is being held in conjunction with Eastern sectionals, Feb. 18-19.

Pat

NoVa Sk8r
11-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Any word/comment from any adult pair teams who are thinking of doing any of these competitions?

I'll certainly be at the New Year's Invitational in Feb. (probably just for the silver pair event), as well as adult nationals (pairs, but maybe singles as well?).

skaternum
11-10-2004, 12:22 PM
David & I are planning on only doing New Years in VA, as Adult Gold.

Mrs Redboots
11-10-2004, 01:13 PM
You've missed out several on the European circuit, including one in Germany at the end of June, and the 2nd Vana Tallinn trophy the weekend before the Mountain Cup. Most of the European ones are on the Mountain Cup website (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Mountain_Cup/). If you need to join the Mountain Cup Yahoo Group, please e-mail me.

I do hope that as many of us as possible will support this first ISU World Championships for Adults - so many people have worked really long and hard to make it possible. We plan to be there - I wish I could say I had done my share of the work to make it happen, but other than dropping words in ears, I've done very little! Huge, huge kudos to those who were involved!

manleywoman
11-10-2004, 01:16 PM
Sorry Mrs Redboots...I was going off the USFSA's site and what had already been posted here. Didn't mean to exclude the Europeans! Can you PM them to me so I can add them? I can't find them off the link you provided.

I'll be going to Germany for the ISU one for sure. I'm getting a new frock for the occasion!

sk8pics: I updated my list to reflect your correction.

Mrs Redboots
11-10-2004, 01:36 PM
I didn't for one second think you'd missed them out on purpose - there ought to be a global web page for such things, don't you think?

I've PMed you with the information, as requested.

I shall be getting a new frock, but perhaps it won't be ready for Worlds; maybe for next year's British Adult Championships in October, though. I already have the material for 2 dresses, but am not having them made up until I reach my target weight, which I hope to have done by next summer's competitions.

manleywoman
11-10-2004, 04:55 PM
I updated the list with Mrs. Redboots' list of european and canadian events.

Terri C
11-10-2004, 06:32 PM
For me it will be the New Years Invitational and then no competing in order to complete some unfinished business (Bronze MIF and Free tests!)

Skaternum and NoVa, Dani told that she will not be at New Year's this year, so we will have to find another goon! LOL! :lol:

TimDsk879
11-10-2004, 09:47 PM
Speaking of New Year's Inv. in VA., when will the announcement and forms be online?

Debbie S
11-10-2004, 09:53 PM
Speaking of New Year's Inv. in VA., when will the announcement and forms be online?

They e-mailed the announcement to past competitors last weekend, and in the e-mail said they were still waiting for the sanction from the USFSA. I imagine that as soon as that's completed, it'll go up on the Wash FSC website.

Terri C
11-12-2004, 10:17 AM
Did anyone who got the Washington announcement read the elements for compulsories and spin events??? IMHO, the elements they are asking for are really off the wall. I mean a layback in Bronze spins- come on! :evil:

NoVa Sk8r
11-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Well, to be fair, the requirement there is attitude, layback, OR sideways spin. But I hear ya. In 2003, one of the silver spin requirements was a back camel. Only later on did we find out that it was a typo!

Did anyone who got the Washington announcement read the elements for compulsories and spin events??? IMHO, the elements they are asking for are really off the wall. I mean a layback in Bronze spins- come on! :evil:

Terri C
11-12-2004, 10:33 AM
NoVa,
What I'm also saying is that after reading the compulsory and spin events for almost all of the adult competitions, Washington has the most difficult events in terms of what elements at each level.

Debbie S
11-12-2004, 11:11 AM
I agree with you, Terri. I can actually understand the back scratch, since it's a requirement for the Bronze FS test, and the attitide spin, which several Bronze skaters that I've seen have in their programs, but a camel-combo spin? That's not required until Silver FS - I guess the view of the organizers is that everyone in Bronze is actively working on Silver and can do the spin anyway.

The compulsory is interesting. Personally, I thought the ones at Halloween were better constructed in that the elements at each level were pulled from that level's FS test. In Bronze, it was a sit spin, loop, waltz-toe, etc, and in Pre-Bronze it was a 1-foot spin, a spiral, and a waltz and toe separately, among other elements. I was pleasantly surprised to see the hardest required jump in the Bronze compulsory at New Year's is a salchow, but then I saw the camel listed.

And then there are the MIF events. Not to exceed my per-post gripe allotment :), but why couldn't they come up with a second Bronze move for the Bronze level? After all, there are 5 to choose from. :roll: Instead, they chose the power 3's (which are not exactly my favorite Bronze move to do, but I realize that I need to get over that) and the Silver spirals. I'm sure it wouldn't take me too much time to get that move into competition shape, but I would benefit so much more from having both the moves be at my current level. Oh well, at least they didn't include the Pre-Bronze alt 3's like they did with Bronze last year.

Terri C
11-12-2004, 11:33 AM
I know that when my coach takes skaters to competition, she usually has them skate a level higher for compulsories and then their test level for freeskate, so it kills me that I or most of us Pre Bronzers are not at the point where that can happen!

sk8pics
11-12-2004, 11:43 AM
So Debbie or Terri,

What are the elements in the pre-bronze compulsory and moves events for the New Year's competition? I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, just curious.

Pat

Debbie S
11-12-2004, 12:25 PM
So Debbie or Terri,

What are the elements in the pre-bronze compulsory and moves events for the New Year's competition? I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, just curious.

Pat

taken word for word from the app

Bronze CM - salchow, a 3-jump sequence of different 1 rev or less jumps (ex: half-flip-toe loop-mazurka/bunny hop-split jump-falling leaf), a camel spin, BO spiral, 2 consecutive forward power 3's (R or L), 1:00 max

Pre-Bronze CM - salchow, half-lutz, 1 foot upright or scratch spin, R & L mohawks, any spiral, 1:00 max

Bronze Spins (no Pre-B event) - attitude, layback or sideways spin; back scratch spin (any entry); camel to any other position (no change of foot)

Bronze MIF - ABM #3 Forward Power 3-Turns and ASM #3 Forward R & L Spirals

Pre-Bronze MIF - APBM #3(a) Forward Crossovers and APBM #2 Basic Consecutive Edges (F & B)

NoVa Sk8r
11-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Yeah, Washington FSC has this crazy notion of actually challenging the adult skater.
Heaven forbid! :P

The camel isn't required on the bronze FS test, but just about every bronze skater does one in competition. So if people are intending to be bronze skaters at some point, shouldn't they be working on the elements they will need then? I know this is a "compulsory" event, but still.

Even more, there's a lutz in the silver compulsory event, yet the lutz is on the gold test (should I kvetch about that?). And the gold MIF event includes a move from the Intermediate test, which is not included in the adult structure at all!

Or for a better analogy, for international competition (senior ladies) the short program requires two different triple jumps (one in the combination and a different one as a solo jump), but the U.S. senior test only requires a double lutz. Does that make the COMPETITIVE requirements unfair? It goes back to the same thing, the TEST elements are the "ticket" to get into a certain level, not necessarily what is required to do well at that level.

I say if you're going to skate UP a level, you should expect the elements to be a challenge.

That said, I know y'all can do it! Practice, practice, practice! 8-)

Ok, release the hounds on me! :twisted:

NoVa,
What I'm also saying is that after reading the compulsory and spin events for almost all of the adult competitions, Washington has the most difficult events in terms of what elements at each level.

Terri C
11-12-2004, 12:45 PM
That said, I know y'all can do it! Practice, practice, practice! 8-)

Ok, release the hounds on me! :twisted:

Oh the hounds will come on you alright- probably on your lesson tomorrow!! :lol:

jenlyon60
11-12-2004, 01:36 PM
I think those dang forward power 3's show up on almost every Bronze MIF competition... with the other move varying...

BTW, what are they calling out for Silver MIF? Since I didn't compete last year (I just fed judges and helped otherwise as necessary), I didn't get a preview e-copy.

I agree with you, Terri. I can actually understand the back scratch, since it's a requirement for the Bronze FS test, and the attitide spin, which several Bronze skaters that I've seen have in their programs, but a camel-combo spin? That's not required until Silver FS - I guess the view of the organizers is that everyone in Bronze is actively working on Silver and can do the spin anyway.

The compulsory is interesting. Personally, I thought the ones at Halloween were better constructed in that the elements at each level were pulled from that level's FS test. In Bronze, it was a sit spin, loop, waltz-toe, etc, and in Pre-Bronze it was a 1-foot spin, a spiral, and a waltz and toe separately, among other elements. I was pleasantly surprised to see the hardest required jump in the Bronze compulsory at New Year's is a salchow, but then I saw the camel listed.

And then there are the MIF events. Not to exceed my per-post gripe allotment :), but why couldn't they come up with a second Bronze move for the Bronze level? After all, there are 5 to choose from. :roll: Instead, they chose the power 3's (which are not exactly my favorite Bronze move to do, but I realize that I need to get over that) and the Silver spirals. I'm sure it wouldn't take me too much time to get that move into competition shape, but I would benefit so much more from having both the moves be at my current level. Oh well, at least they didn't include the Pre-Bronze alt 3's like they did with Bronze last year.

skaternum
11-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Personally, I think the New Years spin & compulsory events are always a little too far out of line with the level. These are essentially "throw away" events for most people. If people are too uncomfortable doing them, they just won't enter. (She says from personal experience.) 'Round here, even in our standard track competitions, we've found that making the throw away events too hard means we lose entry $$. Or if the requirements don't match the other competitions the skaters are likely to do, we lose entry $$.

LoopLoop
11-12-2004, 01:42 PM
BTW, what are they calling out for Silver MIF? Since I didn't compete last year (I just fed judges and helped otherwise as necessary), I didn't get a preview e-copy.
For Silver MIF, they have the FI/BO 3s and the F/B cross strokes.

What I find interesting is that the adult MIF tests are not used as a qualifier/disqualifier yet; I've passed gold MIF, but technically I could enter the silver MIF event.

jenlyon60
11-12-2004, 03:32 PM
and because I've completed PreSilver dance (although I haven't tested Bronze MIF) I can't compete MIF lower than Silver.