View Full Version : Morning On The Ice With Peggy Fleming

dbny
11-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Yes, this morning I skated at Rockefeller Center with Peggy Fleming (and the Pillsbury Doughboy :lol: ).

They were filming a commercial themed on "Empty Nest Week", and asked for women over 40 to come and skate. The weather was perfect for it. There were about 25 of us, some very good skaters, and quite a few coaches also.
They gave us coffee, and as part of the commercial, Pillsbury rolls. Afterwards, Peggy autographed skates for whomever wanted, and we all got a large autographed photo of Peggy and blue scarf, which we were asked to wear for the commercial. I have no idea if this thing will ever air, if it will air in my area, or if I am visible at all either on or off the ice, but I had a lot of fun there. In addition to the friend who roped me into going (I don't do early morning, and especially not in Manhattan), there were three other women that I knew. Best of all, there was a synchro coach who got a group together. I wasn't interested at first, but overheard her saying they were going to do Russian stroking, so I joined up. It was sooo much fun. We did the Russian stroking down the center of the rink, linked by arms on shoulders, then formed a circle, did spirals and three turns, still linked. I so wish I could join a synchro team, but don't have the time or have a team accessible to me.

Afterwards, we had lunch and walked a few miles downtown to visit a thrift shop we had seen on the way in, then picked up the express bus back to Brooklyn.

A great morning, altogether.

NJSk8Fan
11-09-2004, 04:53 PM
Wow! Whether or not the commercial ever airs, what a wonderful memory you made for yourself!!!
Be sure to let us know if you find out it's airing--tell us what you were wearing or what spot to look for you at!!!

flippet
11-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Wow, does that sound like fun! I'm jealous. :D Do let us know if/when you know.

A.H.Black
11-09-2004, 07:18 PM
What fun.

Can I guess that this is a pair of skates you will be keeping? Maybe you could use them like an autograph book and get other skaters to sign them as well.

dbny
11-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Can I guess that this is a pair of skates you will be keeping? Maybe you could use them like an autograph book and get other skaters to sign them as well.

Actually, I didn't get mine autographed. Had I thought about it in advance, I have a pair of old skates that I could have brought, but didn't. I know one skater came from Staten Island and I think it was primarily to get her daughter's outgrown skates autographed.

Mrs Redboots
11-10-2004, 06:19 AM
I'm jealous!!!!! :mrgreen: :x

skatergirlva
11-10-2004, 07:17 AM
Congrats! What a wonderful experience! I can't wait to see the commercial!

Happy Skating! :)

jazzpants
11-10-2004, 08:56 AM
I'm jealous!!!!! :mrgreen: :xMe too! We all hate you :x ... and am glad you had a wonderful time!!! :P :lol:

dbny
11-10-2004, 06:07 PM
I'm sure this seems unbelievable to some of you, but I actually didn't want to go :oops:. I was put off by the time of day and by the trip into midtown during rush hour. My friend wanted me to go with her, and I kept hemming and hawing until time was up, and I felt I had to go because I had strung her along. When we got home, I hugged her and thanked her for "dragging me along".

NJSk8Fan
11-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Shortly after reading your post, I saw a very breif clip on the weather channel of Peggy at Rockefeller Center--it was so fast and the tv was muted, so I don't know what was said, but it was definately to do with the commercial you participated in!

dbny
11-11-2004, 07:06 PM
Shortly after reading your post, I saw a very breif clip on the weather channel of Peggy at Rockefeller Center--it was so fast and the tv was muted, so I don't know what was said, but it was definately to do with the commercial you participated in!

Wish I had seen it. If any of you do spot the commercial, please PM me so I can look for it too. I tend to tune out commercials to the extent that when I do notice a good one, I'm usually told it's been airing for six months already.

Mrs Redboots
11-12-2004, 06:31 AM
And please, if it's anywhere on the Internet (you know how some great commercials do get posted, these days, usually by the advertising agents in question), please post a link! Otherwise we on this side of the Pond won't see it - and, come to that, if advertising is as regional in the US as it is here, probably nobody outside the greater New York area will see it!

Birdlady
11-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Now, I know I am the "newbie mom" here but...Peggy Fleming!!! I grew up watching her (showin' my age here :lol: )! My daughter has last years Hallmark Snow Globe of her in her room. PS...I had a Dorothy Hamill hairstyle when I was like, 7....LOL!!!!

Congrats! Sometimes the best fun is when we get 'dragged' somewhere we would not normally go!!! :P

Tessie
11-12-2004, 06:33 PM
:) Lucky you! I walked past the plaza two days after the election, was wishing I brought my skates to sneak in a few edges before the day took off on me.
Although the rink looks small. An 8:00 am skate doesn't seem to look too crowded.

flippet
11-12-2004, 09:47 PM
Here's a little info I dug up:

Pillsbury and Peggy (http://www.generalmills.com/corporate/media_center/news_release_detail.aspx?itemID=7058&catID=227)

kayskate
11-13-2004, 06:32 AM
Just curious. How did you find out about this? Apparently you knew to go to this filming b/c your friend dragged you along. Were you invited as part of a skating club?

Did yo have lunch w/ Peggy?

Kay

Isk8NYC
11-13-2004, 07:29 AM
I am green with envy. Was this a Craig's List thing?

dbny
11-13-2004, 08:22 AM
Just curious. How did you find out about this? Apparently you knew to go to this filming b/c your friend dragged you along. Were you invited as part of a skating club?

Did yo have lunch w/ Peggy?

My friend, who has two of her own skating schools, got an email, as did members of the Skating Club of New York and some other clubs.

No lunch with Peggy, just Pillsbury rolls at the boards while she was on the ice with the doughboy :)