View Full Version : Rinks in Ireland, England, or Scotland?

TreSk8sAZ
11-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Hey everyone. I know that there are quite a few skaters from Europe who may have skated (or are located) in these countries. Maybe you can help me.

Right now I'm looking at 3 colleges in which to study abroad for a semester. My first choice is University College Cork, in Ireland. The other two are University of St. Andrews, Scotland, and University of East Anglia near Norwich, England.

I'm wondering if there are rinks near any of these schools. I don't particularly wish to stop skating for the 4 to 6 months that I'd be away.

If anyone can help, thanks!

dooobedooo
11-08-2004, 03:43 AM
Very wise of you to ask us first ... !!

Cork in Ireland is right in the middle of very beautiful countryside, has a mild climate, is chockfull of history, and wonderful for sailing ... but the nearest ice rink is about 300 miles away.

Norwich in Cambridgeshire is a historic town with great markets, and once every couple of years, there are two weeks in January when you can go fen skating outdoors in the fields ... but the nearest ice rink is nearly 80 miles away, in Peterborough.

St Andrews in Scotland is historic and ancient, has great walking and watersports nearby, and of course Prince William went there too. It is colder on the East side of Scotland, and you will be very lucky in summer if the temperature tops 19 degrees C. .... you will need a car .....but the nearest rink is a newish Olympic rink at Dundee with some very serious young free skaters and coaches. There is also a rink at Murrayfield in Edinburgh with a good dance club, and where the Kerrs (ice dancers) train some of the time.

PS. Edited to add ... From St Andrews, Dundee is just over 12 miles away, Murrayfield is about 50 miles away.

Mrs Redboots
11-08-2004, 05:34 AM
PS to Doobedoo's post - I know at least one skater who is studying at St Andrews and skating at Dundee and/or Murrayfield. Can put you in touch if necessary.....

mikawendy
11-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Hi, TreSk8sAZ--

I studied abroad at UCC for a year, so if you choose UCC (despite the severe lack of remotely close ice), PM me if you want to know any particulars. I loved the university and the town.

Cheers,
--mikawendy