View Full Version : Carmina Burana - Sp or LP???

TimDsk879
11-07-2004, 09:25 PM
Hmmm... I remember Todd Eldredge doing this as a SP, now Dambier is using it this season as a short as well. Does this mean Carmina Burana is the only vocal piece that has a leeway?

skaternum
11-08-2004, 06:54 AM
If they're using the version with the vocals, they're taking a hit with a deduction. Although the vocals are in Latin, they're still illegal.

TimDsk879
11-08-2004, 07:33 AM
I looked at the detailed scoring for Dambier for the SP at NHK. I did not see any deductions under music. I'm just as confused.... :?:

CanAmSk8ter
11-08-2004, 08:39 AM
The rule is that as long as the vocals aren't actual words, they're ok. My best friend used a piece with vocals in it for her Novice SP a couple of years ago and that's what she was told. I would have thought that Carmina Burana would be risky to use if the vocals were words, even in Latin, but so many skaters have used it over the years that I don't think I'd hesitate now.

luna_skater
11-08-2004, 06:02 PM
I believe vocals are allowed if they are being used as an instrument. Of course, that is open to interpretation.

daisies
11-08-2004, 07:16 PM
Yes, as long as the vocals aren't actual words and instead are used as an instrument, it's fine. There is no deduction for that.

skaternum
11-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Every judge I've ever spoken to about the whole "lyrics" issue has said that if there are discernable lyrics (meaning "words" in any language), it's a no-no. Latin is clearly a language, so I don't know how you could get by without a deduction. How much clearer does "O Fortuna" have to be? :lol: Any judges out there who disagree? Explain?