View Full Version : tips on double axel?

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-05-2004, 06:03 PM
hey guys,
i am trying to land my double axel and i want it soooo bad! my coach is telling me stuff but i dont no why its not getting better. then i got a lessen from my jump coach...now its getting better... does any one have any tips... like ill tell you what i know

1-patturn/edge
2-bend
3-keep left sholder infront
4-arms and legs come thru at the same time..
and i may have forgotten some things... i just need some help i have been working on this since the begining of summer:( i wanna get it! :frus: :cry:

3ggi3
11-05-2004, 06:10 PM
to me technique is really based on what works with you and your style of skating
but I must say that a good double axel to learn from would be the better ones done by angela nikodinov or fumie suguri
note how their back edge accelerated on an outside edge and they step forward very gently with minimal upper body movement
everything needs to be gentle and natural, like michelle kwan

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-05-2004, 06:16 PM
thanks:D but my coach told me to lean forward.. is that what you mean?

Perry
11-05-2004, 08:26 PM
The trick is to have a perfect single. Ther are, of course, some things, like rotation, that you can't emulate in a single, but the hardest part of a double axel is the takeoff, and for that, practicing a single spares your joints from wear and your butt from bruises...

fadedstardust
11-05-2004, 08:42 PM
This is an obvious one but when trying to get another rotation out of the deal, most people forget this: kick through, not around. You're not going to get 2 1/2 revs by kicking around. Kick up, snap, land. Practice 'em off ice a lot!

3ggi3
11-05-2004, 10:56 PM
yea!
have ur weight primary to the front and continue this throughout the jump! landing is way easier this way 8-)

Mrs Redboots
11-06-2004, 05:12 AM
According to what I've heard my coach say, you need to jump up, and you need to be very careful not to drop your hip. He also says that landing a multi-rotation jump is hard, and for the longest time you don't expect to do it, so that even when you have done a perfect jump, you often fall, simply because that's what your body is used to doing!

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-06-2004, 07:58 AM
The trick is to have a perfect single. Ther are, of course, some things, like rotation, that you can't emulate in a single, but the hardest part of a double axel is the takeoff, and for that, practicing a single spares your joints from wear and your butt from bruises...

yea thats why i really want to land it.. i think i have perfect single. nice and high and very controled

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-16-2004, 06:46 PM

well thats the thing! i have a PERFECT single axel great hight! but its not working!