View Full Version : The *worst* thing about skating

angelskates
11-05-2004, 08:14 AM
There are plenty of great things about skating, the friends, the feeling of flying etc etc. But tonight I discovered what I think the worst thing about skating is:

Lacing boots.

Now, I don't mean the lacing that you do every time you skate. I mean putting new laces in boots. Tonight I took the laces out of my lovely new Klingbeils, sno sealed, put on skate tape and then put in new cotton laces.

It took two hours. My fingers are red and sore.

I asked my boyfriend to do the other boot, he said "I thought I was here for my good looks and my body and now you want me to lace your skates after complaining for an hour about how hard it is" ;) So, I laced the other boot myself.

The first two holes take the longest for me, followed closely by the second two holes. Thank goodness it doesn't need to be done often!!

What is the worst thing about skating for you?

backspin
11-05-2004, 08:55 AM
Re. lacing your boots, esp. those first few holes:

2 words: needlenosed pliers. :idea:

MQSeries
11-05-2004, 09:03 AM
Three words:

Money, Money, Money

Mel On Ice
11-05-2004, 09:26 AM
and more money

Kristin
11-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Actually, the worst thing I have encountered is taping your boots with that sk8tape (in my case, to change the color of the boot from white to tan). That takes forever and you have to really be careful not to pull the tape too much so it doesn't "bubble." Why is this relevant to this discussion? Because you have to take your laces out in order to do this!!!!!!

On the other hand, my Freestyle "synchro" boots have never looked better!

::Cheers!::
Kristin

flo
11-05-2004, 10:22 AM
Lacing my boots hs been interesting. When my new pair of customs arrived in 99, the store owner and I were each lacing one. We both ended up with the laces on one side of the boot, and discovered that the bootmaker had an uneven number of lace holes on the boots. We called them to alert them to the mistake. We figured it was ok to skip one of the earlier holes on one side, and it worked out fine. This past summer when my next set of customs arrived - the same thing. So I do know that they are being made from the same pattern. I can always pick out my boots in a crowd.

jazzpants
11-05-2004, 10:48 AM
Worst thing about skating? For me... the early morning hours!!! I'm half asleep when I'm on the ice. And my coaches expect me to perform at my best with little amounts of sleep b/c I have to work late the previous night? EEEEK!!! (And my primary coach says when we made the switch from Monday night lessons to Wed mornings "It would be a good experience for you!")

Second worst thing? Injuries!!! I've already had two injuries this year alone to sideline me off the ice. (Well, one of them sidelined me for about a week...the other one for at least 8 weeks!)

THEN it's money, money and more money!!! :evil:

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-05-2004, 11:19 AM
i think the worst thing about skating is the money!

and i hate when ppl say figureskating isnt a sport! THAT MAKES ME SOOOO MAD :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry:

Mrs Redboots
11-05-2004, 12:04 PM
The worst thing about re-lacing my boots - which I did yesterday, as I wanted to polish them - is settling the laces comfortably when you put the skates on afterwards. I don't have a problem with putting the laces in.

The worst thing about skating is the frustration when you can't do something, even after many years of patient instruction, and you know quite well that it is your head, rather than your body, that won't let you do it.

Oh, and the money.....

Melzorina
11-05-2004, 12:37 PM
I unlaced my boots not so long ago, without realising the ends were frayed, so I couldn't get them back in! I tried everything, putting nail varnish on to harden them up, selotape, everything! I did eventually get them relaced but it took about 2 hours and I was extremely annoyed. I never even went skating that day either!!!

I agree with the money being a severe disadvantage, it's expensive, especially as I can't get a job and my parents aren't into funding my skating so much! I think at £14 a week, when I only go once a week is ridiculous!

NickiT
11-05-2004, 01:29 PM
How come it took you so long? I frequently remove my laces to wash them especially before a competition, and it only takes me about 5 minutes to relace them. I can't imagine sitting there for two hours relacing them!!!!

Nicki

NoVa Sk8r
11-05-2004, 03:07 PM
The worst thing?

Hmm. Dare I say a truculent and belligerent pair partner?

No, maybe it's the frustration at hitting your limit and knowing that you'll never land a double jump or do more than a "group 2" pair lift.

Or maybe it's the multitude of body injuries.

The money problem is not really an issue. If I weren't skating, I'd probably "waste" my money some other way! :)

flo
11-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Hi NoVa,
What are the group 1 and 2 lifts? We didn't have limits before.
Have to find that rulebook!

mikawendy
11-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Money, money, money...

and a close second is time, time, time. If I had more time to skate, I could do dance, figures, pairs...but since I can only get about 3 hours on average in a week, I do only freestyle for now.

(I keep saying that if I win the lotto, I'll take up dance, figures, pairs, etc., plus build a rink!! :D :D )

NoVa Sk8r
11-05-2004, 03:26 PM
The group lifts:
http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/pairs/recog_p_lifts_index.htm

With the new adult pair structure--bronze, silver, gold, and masters levels instead of just "adult" and "masters"--they've put in new language.
Here's the link:
http://usfsa.org/Shell.asp?sid=25396

To wit:

SSR 6.12 Adult Silver Pair—A well-balanced adult silver pair program must contain:
A. One lift, but not more than two different lifts, one of which must be from Group 1. The remaining lift may be from either Group 1 or 2. Overhead lifts are not permitted.
B. One throw single jump, but not more than two different throw single jumps. Throw Axel is permitted. Throw double jumps are not permitted.
C. One solo single jump, but not more than two different solo single jumps. Axel is permitted. Double jumps are not permitted.
D. One jump combination or sequence of jumps (the number of jumps to be included is free), limited to half and single rotational jumps, including the Axel jump, only. Double jumps are not permitted.
E. One pair spin, but not more than two different pair spins. Change of foot or position is not permitted. Minimum of three (3) revolutions in each pair spin.
F. One solo spin, but not more than two different solo spins. One change of position is permitted. Change of foot is not permitted. Minimum of three (3) revolutions in each solo spin.
G. One pivot or death spiral. Skaters may choose the position and hand hold.
H. One step sequence (i.e. circular, straight line, serpentine) utilizing at least half of the ice surface.

Hi NoVa,

LoopLoop
11-05-2004, 03:27 PM
Hi NoVa,

Group 1 are "armpit" lifts (lutz, axel, etc.)
Group 2 are waist lifts (split twist and loop lift)
Group 3 are hip lifts (star, platter, etc.)
Group 4 are press lifts
Group 5 are lasso lifts

For silver pairs, one group 1 lift is required and another lift can be either group 1 or group 2. For gold pairs, overhead lifts are permitted, but no combination lifts and no one-handed or no-handed lifts. In masters pairs, anything goes!

NoVa Sk8r
11-05-2004, 03:29 PM
HAHAHA! Loops and I responded at the same time. Eerie synchronicity off ice as well as on ice! 8-)

LoopLoop
11-05-2004, 03:29 PM
The worst thing?

Hmm. Dare I say a truculent and belligerent pair partner?
Yeah, that sounds about right. :halo:

LoopLoop
11-05-2004, 03:30 PM
HAHAHA! Loops and I responded at the same time. Eerie synchronicity off ice as well as on ice! 8-)
Unison, gotta love it!

Debbie S
11-05-2004, 03:50 PM
Maybe this isn't a good thread for me to be responding to this week - lol!

Yep, time and money are definitely up there. Lately for me, it's been the frustration of not progressing as I'd like. I know I'm never going to look like an elite skater, or even the teenage skaters at my rink, but I've been plugging away at the same jumps and spins for what seems like forever, with not a whole lot of improvement.

I'm actually going to take a break from skating for a few weeks, to figure out if it's worth it to me to keep going. I hate to spend money and not get any benefit from it. I don't really care about winning competitions or medals (although that is nice when/if it happens) but I just want to skate at a certain level of competency. If I can't reach that, why continue to be frustrated? Plus, when I finish b-school, will the job I (hopefully) have allow me to put in the time I would need even to just maintain my skills, much less improve?

Off to ponder my skating future, such as it is....

Terri C
11-05-2004, 03:56 PM
The worst thing?

No, maybe it's the frustration at hitting your limit and knowing that you'll never land a double jump or do more than a "group 2" pair lift.

Or maybe it's the multitude of body injuries.

:)
NoVa, you hit it pretty much on the head for me (oops, remember yesterday's camel spin discussion?? :lol: )

After Ashburn, I'll really work on getting outside my "comfort zone" on technical elements.

The other thing for me is that there are so few fellow adult skaters here in Southern VA that it makes me wonder that if I were around adult skaters more often, I'd be influenced to work much harder than I already do!

angelskates
11-05-2004, 05:56 PM
How come it took you so long? I frequently remove my laces to wash them especially before a competition, and it only takes me about 5 minutes to relace them. I can't imagine sitting there for two hours relacing them!!!!

Nicki

Nicki, my boots were brand new, so the holes weren't at the stretched and comfie stage and weren't 100% punched, plus I'd sno-sealed, which meant I had to push some of that out. Add to that tiredness and general incompetence!

Debbie, a break sounds like the right thing for you at the moment. You'll will probably miss skating and the challenge. It is so important to find the balance between patience and progression (I am not there yet, I want everything *now*). As my coach says "man man lai, bie ji" (chinese, means "slowly it will come, don't fret") For me, the fretting probably makes the progression even slower.

Another thing I don't like. "(Can you) do a *insert elite move of your choice*" by people who don't skate and realise that being a skater who skates every day doesn't mean I can do triples, laybacks etc etc. and don't realiise how hard the easiest looking thing is!

flo
11-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Thanks Loops and NoVa!!
I guess the platter - star combination is out! I don't think it will make a difference - we were in masters and the only pair with a combo lift- but it was fun to work towards. And NoVa, you have done a group 3 lift - we just did it on the ground. You two are pretty solid, so you can work on your overheads for show, and when you pass gold!
It's odd that the gold level allows a press, (a level 4). We tried a lasso and toe overhead - on the floor ok, but the ice :lol: quite a different matter.

TerriC, when I come down to visit my parents at the beach we can inspire eachother - then go for coffee.

Debbie - come skate with us at club, and just enjoy yourself. It's a very friendly and welcoming group, and we have great parties!

Melzorina
11-05-2004, 06:05 PM

Nicki

They had frayed, and they were too big to fit throuh the holes.

NoVa Sk8r
11-05-2004, 06:40 PM
One day, we'll get past group 2!!!
Actually, we (or is it just me?)--at one point--plan on getting that platter lift on the ice. Even if we start a program (I'm thinking exhibition here) with it; i.e., we're not moving. That way, less likely for Loops to:
a) sprawl across the ice or
b) fall on me!

Thanks Loops and NoVa!!
I guess the platter - star combination is out! I don't think it will make a difference - we were in masters and the only pair with a combo lift- but it was fun to work towards. And NoVa, you have done a group 3 lift - we just did it on the ground. You two are pretty solid, so you can work on your overheads for show, and when you pass gold!

NoVa Sk8r
11-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Terri,
Skating with other adults definitely has its perks.
At least for me, other adults offer helpful tips and hints on elements that they have experienced.
Also, skating with other adult (the freaks of the skating world, as one person I used to skate with calls us :evil: ) takes out the "them (young kids or even hockey players)" vs. "us" factor.

It's good to know your comfort level, but honestly sometimes you've just got to break over this barrier (within reason). I never ever thought I'd do a flying camel or a back shoot-the-duck. But I tried them and hurt myself a bit and finally got them. I remember the process, not the bruises. ;)

Good luck,
Stephen *superNoVa*

NoVa, you hit it pretty much on the head for me (oops, remember yesterday's camel spin discussion?? :lol: )

After Ashburn, I'll really work on getting outside my "comfort zone" on technical elements.

The other thing for me is that there are so few fellow adult skaters here in Southern VA that it makes me wonder that if I were around adult skaters more often, I'd be influenced to work much harder than I already do!

Perry
11-05-2004, 08:24 PM
The worst thing is definately injuries (of course I don't pay for my own skating, so....). I've had three major injuries, the last of which required surgery and had me off for two years. And when your high school is literally two city blocks long and six stories high, and you're carting around a 50 lb. backpack, being on crutches for eight weeks is just not fun...

fadedstardust
11-05-2004, 08:50 PM
The worst thing about skating is the fights it has brought between my mother and I, most are money related, others are performance related, and yet others because she doesn't really understand much about the sport and will say things that don't make sense and stand by them, or I will tell her about something and she won't understand what I'm talking about. So definitely the worst thing about it is the feuds it prompts constantly, considering my mother pays for my skating.

Chico
11-05-2004, 09:38 PM
The worst huh?

Inconsistent skills. One day you can and the next it's GONE.

Understanding what your coach wants and not being able to do it. Mind body disconnect....ugh.

Being an adult skater with limited time to skate. What I wouldn't give to be 12 for just a summer of skating!

Skates that need to get sharpened.

Killer falls that hurt and scare the heck out of you.

Really bad ice. I'll skate on it, but I don't have to LIKE it.

Two left foot days. THOSE days when everything just seems off.

Chico

triple twist
11-05-2004, 10:41 PM
The worst huh?

Inconsistent skills. One day you can and the next it's GONE.

Chico

ooooh my god you are so right! I've only had this whole situation happen to me in skating! I have NO idea WHY it happens or how to fix it, but it takes a fall and a half to realize that today is not a 'jumping day'...its a spinning day. which hurts!

vesperholly
11-06-2004, 01:29 AM
The cold - usually I don't mind it but in the past few weeks it has been mind-numbing, bone marrow freezing at my rink. I know it's bad when I put on gloves for practice, I usually NEVER wear gloves.

Mrs Redboots
11-06-2004, 05:22 AM
They had frayed, and they were too big to fit throuh the holes.When that happens, I use a bodkin (the thing that looks like a huge needle and is designed for threading elastic or tape through a casing) to do mine. I don't remove them often, but when I'm going to polish my skates I do.

luna_skater
11-06-2004, 10:58 AM
They had frayed, and they were too big to fit throuh the holes.

Have you ever tried burning the ends with a match or a lighter?

vintagefreak
11-06-2004, 11:55 AM
The cost of things...relative to what you get. Crowded freestyle sessions with variable ice conditions, stinky hockey locker rooms where you'd never consider entering without a biohazard suit (and forget about showering) so you have to change in tiny bathroom stalls where kids have "missed" etc; snack bar with only junk food, serviced by teens making 6 bucks an hour who'd rather be doing something else, and so on.

My husband joined a private golf club and he actually pays less per month than I do for skating (around $350 PER FAMILY so we all get to use it-gosh, wouldn't it be special if you could pay for ice time that way? ) and he gets so much more for his money. He can play pretty much any time as long as there is light and generally the play is fast. $10.00 for a cart that you can use for as long as it takes you and no charges if you walk, a roaming beverage cart with cocktails, sodas and snacks, FREE WATER. Beautiful, well maintained coarse (more consistently than the ice, anyway), plush, clean locker rooms (his even has a bar right in the locker room!) with all the ammenities (couches, TVs, mini library, game tables, sauna, towels, soap, shampoo, hairdryers, big baskets of things in the ladies' room) and a nice restaurant with good food (they have a chef, not a fry cook) , sit-down service and staff that come up and know each member by name. They also have a fitness center that you can use without paying extra and a pool. Grumble grumble.

How come ice rinks are so crummy generally but cost more for ice time overall? I can't imagine the overhead for a golf club would be less than an ice arena but I sometimes wonder why the conditions are tolerated without question. We put up with it and kids probably don't care that much but its beginning to annoy me. I don't ask for that much, but a little more would be greatly appreciated. I would settle for f/s sessions that had fewer than 25 skaters out there at any given time.

~AF

~shasta~
11-06-2004, 11:59 AM
i'd have to say injuries and trying to polish the skates white for competition-(which is partially why i can't wait to get my custom tan skates)

MissIndigo
11-06-2004, 12:33 PM
The worst thing, right now?

Power threes, on my bad foot. :giveup:

Man I hate those.

:lol:

skateflo
11-06-2004, 03:44 PM
As Fall is showing signs of winter coming and daylight hours suddenly are gone, the name of this thread reminded me of the hate I have for lugging my skate clothing bag to the rink and leaning against the bathroom stall wall as I put on my multiple layers 3 tops, 3 bottoms - it is a struggle! (Maybe my advanced age has something to do with it.) The days I can get home from work (I work in an OR) and change at home are a real treat.

That's what I will be facing hopefully in about 3 more weeks after rehabing a fractured patella......

jazzpants
11-06-2004, 10:31 PM
The worst thing, right now?

Power threes, on my bad foot. :giveup:

Man I hate those.

:lol:Join the club, MissIndigo!!! Join the club!!! :lol:

Boy oh, boy, do I hate those forward power 3's on my bad foot! Unfortunately the consequences of giving up on the power 3's is MUCH worse than making an effort to learn the thing, thanks to my coaches!!! :twisted:

SDFanatic
11-07-2004, 01:03 AM
[QUOTE=Melzorina]I unlaced my boots not so long ago, without realising the ends were frayed, so I couldn't get them back in! I tried everything, putting nail varnish on to harden them up, selotape, everything! I did eventually get them relaced but it took about 2 hours and I was extremely annoyed. I never even went skating that day either!!![QUOTE]

Find some heat shrink tubing (from an electronic supply house) slip it over the end of the laces, then use a lighter and shrink it onto the lace. Be careful of course if your laces are nylon as they will melt.

Steven

TashaKat
11-07-2004, 01:57 AM
Bad rink management who are only interested in hockey and who don't maintain the ice properly
Rink management who seem to think that figure skaters are a 'cash cow' and keep on putting the fees up just because (we had THREE price increases in 18 months, the final increase was an increase of over 60%)
Rink management (can't you tell that this is personal?) who make the PEAK TIME patches MUCH MUCH cheaper than the early mornings!! The peak time patches are heaving :(
Rink politics, wannabee skating princessess, 'skating moms' (I'm not talking about all mothers of skaters but that special breed that is a 'skate mom')
My job. If I didn't have to work I would have the time to skate :)
The lottery. If I could win the damn thing I would have both the time AND the money to skate ;)

I don't have a problem with laces either :?? I don't like it when I have to get them 'recomfortable' though :)

I don't set myself limits so not being able to do something now doesn't mean that I'll never be able to do it (though I'm not unrealistic enough to think that I'll ever be doing quads :giveup: ).

As someone who can't skate at the moment (time and money) there's nothing about actually skating that is 'worst' for me :halo:

Mrs Redboots
11-07-2004, 05:52 AM
Rink politics, and fights in the pros' room so that there is a feud between two coaches and if you take from one, you can't take from the other.... sigh.....

Not being able to do things you ought to be able to do, like 3-turns in hold, and not sure whether it is husband or you doing it wrong.

Wondering whether your coach really is as rigorous with you for competition as you'd like him to be, judging by the way he is before tests, and what the video looks like.

jwrnsktr
11-07-2004, 09:17 AM
The worst thing for me, and I do love skating, is the frustration of working on a single element and seeing little payback. Some things seem to take years to get. I won't talk about the 5 years I've been trying to get a scratch spin. Is it worth it? Hell yes! I still love skating and I am enjoying learning - the journey and the challenge is worth it in spades. When I feel like :frus: then I do the things I know I own and try to feel good about my skating.

Tessie
11-07-2004, 09:42 AM
The worst thing for me, and I do love skating, is the frustration of working on a single element and seeing little payback. Some things seem to take years to get. I won't talk about the 5 years I've been trying to get a scratch spin. Is it worth it? Hell yes! I still love skating and I am enjoying learning - the journey and the challenge is worth it in spades. When I feel like :frus: then I do the things I know I own and try to feel good about my skating.

ITA - Back edges ugh!

slusher
11-07-2004, 03:31 PM
Rink politics, and fights in the pros' room so that there is a feud between two coaches and if you take from one, you can't take from the other.... sigh.....

Agreed and then to take it further, half the board members have their kids take from the one coach and the other half from the other coach so then the skating board gets polarized because the coaches have got the entire club wrapped up in their feud and nothing gets done.

NCSkater02
11-08-2004, 08:19 PM
I work in an OR

Hey, so do I!! Four rooms, small county hospital.

I don't like always being the oldest and slowest on the ice. Most of the time, there are two older than me--both coaches. And the kids always seem to think I should be the one to move out of their way--even when I am in lesson and have right of way.

Trying to find convenient times when I don't have to race to the rink from work--they are few and far between.

Ruts in the ice--either from hockey or jumping. One of my rinks has a young man that leaves HUGE holes in the lutz corners. I'm afraid I'll fall in. :lol:

Michigansk8er
11-08-2004, 09:33 PM
Competition nerves!

jenlyon60
11-09-2004, 04:57 AM
Skate moms who feel threatened by kids who train or compete against their daughters. And go truly whacked out as a result.

(The male variant usually shows up as hockey dads or soccer dads...)

Mrs Redboots
11-09-2004, 06:45 AM
Skate moms who feel threatened by kids who train or compete against their daughters. And go truly whacked out as a result.

(The male variant usually shows up as hockey dads or soccer dads...)The ones I know are all fathers of figure skaters. And they are worse than the mothers, by an order of magnitude....

fadedstardust
11-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Yeah actuallly, skating moms (no dads at my rink, at least no evil dads) are pretty distracting. Sometimes I feel their eyes on me as I do a jump their daughters have struggled with to see if I've "surpassed" them. I know this isn't possible, and in SOME cases it's good practice for competitions, but I really wish some practices were closed. I hate having the negative parents watching my every move and see/tell their kid that I'm struggling on double axel etc etc etc. And that stuff definitely comes out in the locker room. Often parents catch things other kids are too busy practicing themselves to notice, and I really don't like my weaknesses scattered around the rink. :(

skatergirlsmom
11-10-2004, 01:13 PM
I hate having the negative parents watching my every move and see/tell their kid that I'm struggling on double axel etc etc etc. I really don't like my weaknesses scattered around the rink. :(

Hi, I am skating mom and I felt sad for you reading your post. There are so many skaters at our rink that I like and admire. I want them to do well and I try to encourage them. They notice me watching them and they don't seem to mind. It sounds like you may be dealing with some jealousy issues from the negative parents. I hope that there are some positive parents at your rink.

Mrs Redboots
11-10-2004, 01:16 PM
All the same, I think the absolute worst is rows in the pros' room. It really can make for the most appalling atmosphere and, what is worse, the young people are corrupted by it. They don't learn by example to put hurts and upsets behind them, and to move on, and I do think that's one of the most important things we can teach the next generation.

skatingatty
11-10-2004, 02:28 PM
Ill-behaved kids on the ice, particularly on weekend public sessions. I hate it when I get to the rink and see a group of little boys (hardly ever girls) all playing tag, tossing stuff (hockey pucks, caps, balls, snow), splatting and lying on the ice on purpose, coming toward me when I'm starting a spin, skating in the wrong direction, etc. Sometimes on freestyle sessions, certain bratty girls will assume they have the right of way at all moments, even when I'm having a lesson with my coach a few feet away. To me, that's the worst thing about skating. After that would be the costs, conflicts between coaches, and lack of good skating times for working adults.

phillyskater
11-10-2004, 04:48 PM
Competition nerves!

Amen to that! And add test nerves. I had wicked bout of nervous knees today that cost me my back 3's.....on the reliable side!!! :frus:

happy :evil: skating,
philly

fadedstardust
11-10-2004, 07:38 PM
Hi, I am skating mom and I felt sad for you reading your post. There are so many skaters at our rink that I like and admire. I want them to do well and I try to encourage them. They notice me watching them and they don't seem to mind. It sounds like you may be dealing with some jealousy issues from the negative parents. I hope that there are some positive parents at your rink.

Oh there are some nice parents, and we all appreciate them very much. You guys have a difficult job too- knowing when to give a compliment, when to leave the kid alone, when to motivate them, when to let them figure it out on their own, and all those cold hours at the rink!! You guys are loved. There's a few bad seeds is all, like in everything. But they sure don't make training too easy for us. My rink is pretty known for that kind of stuff though, so it goes with the territory. :)

jenlyon60
11-11-2004, 04:55 AM
There are definitely more NICE skatemoms than the other type. The problem is that the really pushy skate moms who appear to be living their dreams through their kids really "stand out in the field"

Oh there are some nice parents, and we all appreciate them very much. You guys have a difficult job too- knowing when to give a compliment, when to leave the kid alone, when to motivate them, when to let them figure it out on their own, and all those cold hours at the rink!! You guys are loved. There's a few bad seeds is all, like in everything. But they sure don't make training too easy for us. My rink is pretty known for that kind of stuff though, so it goes with the territory. :)

PattyP
11-11-2004, 04:11 PM
The worst huh?

Inconsistent skills. One day you can and the next it's GONE. Chico

Yep, this is the worst. I have an axel....it's gone. I have an axel...it's gone. I have an axel...it's gone. For 4 years I've been going through this. Does it EVER get consititant??? :frus:

jwrnsktr
11-11-2004, 04:23 PM
Yes, I forgot about this!!!!!! I owned the foward left inside three all summer, and suddenly, gone, gone, gone. Just getting it back now. What the heck?

doubletoe
11-11-2004, 04:32 PM
The worst things about skating?

1. Skaters and coaches who slip their music in ahead of yours when you're standing there in your starting pose and there are only 3 minutes left in the session!

2. Kids who play around on the ice and get in your way because they've already practiced for two or three hours and figure it's playtime. Meanwhile, you are trying to skate your program around them in your one precious hour on the ice

3. Competition nerves and test nerves! I envy people who actually LIKE adrenaline rushes!

4. Axels - Why can't I just get some judge to certify that I can land an axel so that I never have to actually DO it anymore?

supa sk8er
11-11-2004, 04:35 PM
The worst thing in skating is the pressure and the injuries. I know everyone gets so pressured about doing something like a double lutz and stuff, and you feel really depressed. It takes a much longer time to do this!!!! :lol:

supa sk8er
11-11-2004, 04:37 PM
Also, there is this idiotic skater at my rink who always passes me and says get outta my way, or move! She is soooo rude!

Melzorina
11-12-2004, 10:39 AM
I hate the hockey skaters who purposely try and knock you over by doing hockey stops as close to you as they can get, and covering you with ice!

jazzpants
11-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Yep, this is the worst. I have an axel....it's gone. I have an axel...it's gone. I have an axel...it's gone. For 4 years I've been going through this. Does it EVER get consititant??? :frus:Same here with my loop! :evil: :x :frus:

Terri C
11-12-2004, 10:54 AM
As we all love our coaches- when the coach tells you " I have a idea!"
And it turns out to be adding to your program or working on something that you feel you are not prepared for!

Melzorina
11-12-2004, 01:42 PM
I agree with that 100%! I also don't like it when my coach says "Do [insert jump here] again please, last time!" and then after that I get asked to do it again, and again and yet again.