View Full Version : Sunshine Adult Challenge of Florida

NYCitySk8r
11-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Hey everyone,
Does anyone know if the first annual Sunshine Adult Challenge of Florida from January 22-23, 2005 is expected to draw a similar amount of people as the Peach Classic and Halloween Classic?

If so, it would be great to have another substantial adult competition on the adult circuit!

TimDsk879
11-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Hell No!???!

vesperholly
11-09-2004, 08:31 PM
It's probably too close to Sectionals to draw a substantive crowd. I am very pleased to see all these adult-only competitions popping up, though. I wish I had enough money to go to more of them. Keep it up, club organizers!

Edges94
11-14-2004, 09:32 PM
Hey Tim,

What's your problem????

starskate6.0
11-17-2004, 07:09 PM
Id like to see more adult skaters and the more events open to us the better. Im still looking for information on the Eastern Adult sectionals and I am concerned about the cost and parking and a hotel in NY city, I can only guess that it would be expencive. Any one got any clue's about this. :?: :roll:

Debbie S
11-17-2004, 08:20 PM
I am concerned about the cost and parking and a hotel in NY city, I can only guess that it would be expencive. Any one got any clue's about this. :?: :roll:

It depends on where you stay. You could pay $300 a night or more, or you could pay less - it all depends on what type of accomodations you are seeking. I bet you could find some good deals on Travelocity or Expedia even at some of the better hotels, but you might not get the greatest rooms (like on low floors, small, etc.) But you won't spend much time in the room anyway. As for parking, I wouldn't even try to drive to NYC - aside from the traffic mess getting into, around, and out of the city, parking fees at hotels are insane. Try to take the train into the city and use cabs to get to Sky Rink - Chelsea Piers is quite a walk from the nearest subway station, unless you are feeling adventurous. I have no idea if there are fees for parking at Chelsea Piers, but retrieving your car from hotel parking can be difficult, depending on the hotel's situation (sometimes your car can be parked in a lot or garage several blocks away).

sk8pics
11-18-2004, 06:12 AM
I have no idea if there are fees for parking at Chelsea Piers, but retrieving your car from hotel parking can be difficult, depending on the hotel's situation (sometimes your car can be parked in a lot or garage several blocks away).

Oh, boy, are there parking fees at Chelsea Piers! :roll: I parked there all day last year when I was there for the Winter Classic, and it cost me something like $50 or $60. Much better to take a taxi from your hotel.

Pat

Stormy
11-18-2004, 07:59 AM
Ugh, I was just going to drive to NYC since it's less than 4 hours for me, but it sounds like not a great idea to take my car into the city. Maybe I should just fly in.

manleywoman
11-18-2004, 09:51 AM
Stormy...drive to Trenton, NJ and park your car there for $15, then take the train in. Much cheaper, and you'll have more control over your schedule.

sk8pics
11-18-2004, 11:46 AM
Yes, these days if I want to go into the city, I drive to Metro Park, NJ, and take the NJ Transit train into Penn Station. Parking on the weekend there is $5 a day, and the round trip train ticket, off peak, is $10.25. You will probably want to take a taxi to Chelsea Piers if you are carrying a lot of stuff, but if you preferred, you could buy a subway pass and take the subway to 23rd street and then the cross-town Bus on 23rd St. I actually did that when I went to watch Mid-Atlantics and it was easy.

You can take the Jersey transit train from Newark, too, or any number of other stations, but I just go to MetroPark because the station is very easy to get to and the parking garage seems very well maintained. Just don't take Amtrak by mistake! Much more expensive than the Jersey transit and really not necessary for this sort of trip.

Pat

NoVa Sk8r
11-18-2004, 12:10 PM
But Stormy will be coming from Massachusetts, so wouldn't it make more sense to drive to a Metro-North train station in Connecticut (the New Haven line) or someplace in Westchester/Putnam County (the Harlem line) and take the train to Grand Central Station, then taxi or bus it to Chelsea Piers?

I say avoid New Jersey at all costs--sorry, I am a native New Yorker! :P

skaternum
11-18-2004, 01:18 PM
--sorry, I am a native New Yorker! :P
Well that explains a few things!! :P

manleywoman
11-18-2004, 01:21 PM
But Stormy will be coming from Massachusetts, so wouldn't it make more sense to drive to a Metro-North train station in Connecticut (the New Haven line) or someplace in Westchester/Putnam County (the Harlem line) and take the train to Grand Central Station, then taxi or bus it to Chelsea Piers?

Yess. sorry...I assumed she was coming from the south. Don't know why. But still, driving to CT and taking the train in is better than driving all the way into NYC

sk8pics
11-18-2004, 01:22 PM

I say avoid New Jersey at all costs--sorry, I am a native New Yorker! :P

:roll: :lol: I, too, am a native New Yorker and I hate the NJ Turnpike! :frus: Ahem, sorry, anyway, I didn't notice where Stormy would be coming from, but of course, she shouldn't go through NY to park in NJ. Sorry I have no advice for Stormy as to Connecticut train connections and stations.

Pat

starskate6.0
11-18-2004, 06:12 PM
Thanks for all the info guy's. I appreciate it and Ill give it some thought. No offence to the NYC crew but Im not a big fan of big city trafffic so the train may be the way to go.

Maybe Ill do a dry run to the rink one day and see how it goes. :??
Ill probeblly do some other competitions between now and then. :P

Edges94
11-18-2004, 09:38 PM
My public apology to TimDSK879 -- I'm sorry! I didn't know he was poking fun at a friend on the board. :oops:

NYCitySk8r
11-19-2004, 05:30 AM
Hey Tim,

What's your problem????

Yeah, Tim is my best friend and he was just joking around because I had started this thread and no one was responding :lol:

skaternum
11-19-2004, 08:17 AM
Edges94, I don't really think you owe Tim an apology. Nobody but Tim and NyCitySk8r got the joke. Everybody else assumed the same as you.

Mrs Redboots
11-19-2004, 08:45 AM
you could buy a subway pass and take the subway to 23rd street and then the cross-town Bus on 23rd St. I actually did that when I went to watch Mid-Atlantics and it was easy.We did it from Brooklyn the time we skated at the Sky Rink, and it was extremely easy. Mind you, it was about 6.00 am.... but even still!

You can take the Jersey transit train from Newark, too, or any number of other stations, but I just go to MetroPark because the station is very easy to get to and the parking garage seems very well maintained. Just don't take Amtrak by mistake! Much more expensive than the Jersey transit and really not necessary for this sort of trip.We did the Jersey transit when we went to Philadelphia, changing trains at Trenton, NJ, and it was a very comfortable and easy run. Most enjoyable! Public transport in the NYC area seems to be very easy to use, and much cheaper than here in London!

starskate6.0
11-21-2004, 10:05 AM
Mr redboots

I have been to London many times and skated a few times at the Famous Richmond arena where many of englands finest came from. ( they tore it down :frus: ). Where do you skate ??

Mrs Redboots
11-21-2004, 04:40 PM
At Streatham, mostly, which is where we train, but we go to Alexandra Palace once a month, and periodically to Slough.

starskate6.0
11-21-2004, 07:14 PM
:oops: I joined the forum just a few day's ago and thought I would read some of the comments from the Adult Nationals and to my suprize my name came up in conversation a few times and I feel that I must apologize to those of you that did not like my warm up at Nationals and may have though I was a sandbagger, 8O

I am the one who did the double in the warm up in the silver II mens.
It was not ment to upset people, I often do harder jumps in the warm up if i can because it make me feel confident for the event i am about to skate.

I actualy tried to skate up to gold my first year but I just made the Jan15 dead line for the silver test and if you do see my program you will notice that spinning is not a strong point and the camel has alway's been a struggle, so the gold test was not and option and the moves just a dream.

I started at pre-bronze a couple of years ago and had had some experience as a skater in the past ( "boy is that a long story"), but never tested or competed till I started as an adult.

I have now tested into gold and I feel that's where I realy should be, Once again Im sorry if some people got a little upset but I was testing as fast as i could to get there and now Im here. :roll:

I will say the the men in silver 2 last year where very good and a great bunch of guy's. I look forward to the gold mens event this season and meet other great people at the Adult Nationals. :P

sk8er1964
11-21-2004, 08:02 PM
:oops: I joined the forum just a few day's ago and thought I would read some of the comments from the Adult Nationals and to my suprize my name came up in conversation a few times and I feel that I must apologize to those of you that did not like my warm up at Nationals and may have though I was a sandbagger, 8O

I've always said don't judge someone until you've skated a mile in their boots. That said, though, throwing out a double in a level where it's not allowed is considered by many (myself included) to be poor sportmanship. Kind of like - look at me and cringe, competitors. I'm quite sure you didn't mean it that way (and I didn't see your event, just heard of it), but I thought you'd like to hear why some of those comments may have been made. We're having quite a spirited discussion on another site that I'm on with a silver lady right now, and many of those commenting are saying the same thing.

Now that that's out of the way, welcome to Gold! I've been skating Gold II (female version) for the last two years. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's nice to not have the restrictions, and nice to have those extra seconds of music. ITA with you on the spins - the camel is an evil thing. I only like spins if I can get into them through a jump! The death drop is fun, fun, fun (it's my latest project).

However, one word of advice for next year's Sectionals (I assume you will do sectionals) and AN - don't do a triple sal in warm up :lol: (I am just teasing :halo: ).

starskate6.0
11-22-2004, 06:23 AM
sk8ter1964

Thanks sk8te 1964, Ill try not to be cheeky next year, to be honest every guy in that event could out spin me hands down. Ill try to be a good boy next year, as for the triple, Im afraid thats a long way off, Ill be working on becoming a better skater on the moves, footwork and spins this year. I hope you will come up and introduce yourself if we should meet at an event in the future.
:bow: :D I have to go to work.

" The greatest risk in life is not taking one"

Spreadeagle
11-22-2004, 10:17 AM
We're having quite a spirited discussion on another site that I'm on with a silver lady right now, and many of those commenting are saying the same thing.

Out of curiosity, what site is that on? I saw some discussions on the USFS boards, but that was awhile ago.

sk8er1964
11-23-2004, 08:47 PM
sk8ter1964

Thanks sk8te 1964, Ill try not to be cheeky next year, to be honest every guy in that event could out spin me hands down. Ill try to be a good boy next year, as for the triple, Im afraid thats a long way off, Ill be working on becoming a better skater on the moves, footwork and spins this year. I hope you will come up and introduce yourself if we should meet at an event in the future.
:bow: :D I have to go to work.

" The greatest risk in life is not taking one"

Were you the stilt guy? That was one of the coolest interps I've ever seen!

starskate6.0
11-23-2004, 09:09 PM
"yes" Thats was me... :halo: But Ill be on my regular skates for interp next year. I have question,, does any one know if there is a pairs interp event in adult skates ??

Im doing 3 christmas shows on stilts this year.

sk8er1964
11-23-2004, 09:15 PM
"yes" Thats was me... :halo: But Ill be on my regular skates for interp next year. I have question,, does any one know if there is a pairs interp event in adult skates ??

Im doing 3 christmas shows on stilts this year.

I believe that there was an event at the Peach Classic this year that was an interp for mixed and/or similar pairs. I wasn't there, though. Cam anyone verify? None at AN, AFAIK.

NoVa Sk8r
11-23-2004, 10:34 PM
The Peach had an Adult Interpretive event, which allowed any gender combination. This year, there were 4 woman/woman teams (and what great programs we saw!).

There is no pair interp listed for the Washington FSC New Year's Adult Invitational.

I believe that there was an event at the Peach Classic this year that was an interp for mixed and/or similar pairs. I wasn't there, though. Cam anyone verify? None at AN, AFAIK.

Mrs Redboots
11-24-2004, 05:12 AM
"yes" Thats was me... :halo: But Ill be on my regular skates for interp next year. I have question,, does any one know if there is a pairs interp event in adult skates ??There is in the UK, sometimes, and at the Dune of Flanders Cup. And great fun, too!

techskater
11-25-2004, 09:10 AM
Skater1964 is referencing the Yahoo Competitive Adult Skaters' board that is closed unless you are a member. That discussion went from "spirited" to "ugly" rather quickly, you might say. The sportsmanship statement came up over there about doing things beyond the boundaries of your level.

skaternum
11-25-2004, 06:43 PM
And that's one of the reasons I left that group. (That, plus excessive whining in general.)

techskater
11-26-2004, 05:31 PM
I generally don't mind that board, but some people get upset over some ridiculous things over there. I think that's your whining in general

Kristin
12-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Well, regarding the "whining", there has been plenty of that on every board I have ever been on so CAS is no different.

USFSA board: There used to be a rude user who went by "Tara" (about 4 yrs ago) who claimed to be an adult skater working on doubles and used to berate *everything* people said. Eventually I think she was kicked off (or maybe she left because she was getting flamed). Some of the discussions some people got into with her were WAY worse than anything I have ever seen on any of the other boards. She was so rude that the moderators had to censor/delete some of her posts.

Skateforums: remember the discussion not too long ago about Adult skaters and how they were just "wasting their time?" What a kick in the teeth to adult skaters everywhere!

Synchroboards: Recently there were a few people who claimed other Synchro teams were "spying" (!) on rival teams at competition and the discussion got a bit heated. I don't think I have ever seen anyone say the word "spying" for Adult singles competitions.

And yes, the recent CAS stuff, there were people talking about winning medals, intimidating other skaters, sandbagging, etc.

NO Board is immune.

Kristin

w.w.west
12-09-2004, 10:34 AM
The worst board, IMO, is rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational.ice. I think that is the name of it? People even call each other vulgar names on that. The fan side of it is even worse. Athough, I don't think it is primarily an adult board....let's hope not anyway. I've stopped wasting my time at that one.

I think all users of all boards need need to remember the golden rule: If you wouldn't say it to their face, then don't say it. These boards are great for information and general chat, etc. Naturally, there will be disagreements, but when you can keep the "respect" in "respectfully disagree", it makes it a whole lot more civilized!

Kristin
12-09-2004, 12:12 PM
Nicely put, W.W.West!