View Full Version : Spin trainers and Maxi-flex?

pennybeagle
11-03-2004, 10:20 PM
Do you use them? Are they worth the $$? I was just browsing for skating-related equipment, and I was wondering if theses actually help.

angelskates
11-03-2004, 10:39 PM
I have them both (bought from Rainbo) and love them. My maxi flex I couldn't do without! My spinner took a long while to get used to, you have to be centred to spin. If you are just a beginner, the spinner is not for you, it more teachs to centre spins, rather than teaching you how to spin.

Maxi-flex is great for all levels and easy to use.

TashaKat
11-04-2004, 12:08 AM
I didn't find that the spin trainer helped me at all (though it was great fun). The only thing that got my spins half way decent was a good coach and lots of on-ice time :) But then I'm one of those strange people who doesn't find that off-ice jumps help either :roll:

What's a Maxi-flex please?

angelskates
11-04-2004, 03:35 AM
TashaKat,

A mexi-flex is a "thing" used for stretching (mainly legs). You attach it to a door (usually) and put your foot in....kind of hard to explain....here's a link to Rainbo Maxi Flex (http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/product.cfm?id=4AC58647-475A-BAC0-51F725CFD7083651)

Melzorina
11-04-2004, 04:14 AM
I've always wanted a spinner, they sound so much fun!

Mrs Redboots
11-04-2004, 04:28 AM
I have one, but mostly I use it for working on my 3-turns, rockers, counters and brackets, rather than on spins.

Melzorina
11-04-2004, 06:10 AM
Where dd you get it, and how much was it?

IceAngel725
11-04-2004, 11:45 AM
I found my spinner to be EXTREMELY useful. It took me forever to get a one foot spin...well over a year. I actually started doing better spins on the spinner and then transfered them to the ice. I'm told that I have good form on my spins, and i contribute this to my spinner! LOL. I really doubt that i would be able to even do a scratch spin now if didn't buy my spinner years ago. My original black one got all banged up and I bought the new gold one... i wouldn't recommend buying that one, i have a really hard time staying balanced on it, probably because I can't fit my entire foot on it... i don't know.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend trying the spinner. If you don't have the extra money, try borrowing one from a friend. Just be aware that it takes time to get used to it.

samba
11-04-2004, 03:05 PM
I have one and get the impression that you have to be able to spin on the spot to start with if you are going stand any chance of staying on it, I though my upright spins were pretty good until I got this thing and practised it in the living room, after a few crashes into furniture and the odd broken ornament,the cats now do a runner if I get it out!!

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-04-2004, 05:30 PM
i have both.. the maxi flex is great! i would recomend people to get it! ,,,, but my spinner? im not too sure about that one... sure you can do 1 foot spins and 2 foot spins but i cant really do the spins im working on like cammels and sit spins etc.

also with the spinner, you dont get the rite feel like on the ice you spin in like a circular motion like if you look at your spin on the ice the marks your blade leaves on the ice is like a 0 shape... but with the spinner you are completely centered..... like im sure no one spins on like a dot.....

lol you probably cant understand what im saying... i couldnt really write it the way i say it.... sorry

pennybeagle
11-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the responses. It seems that everyone likes the maxi-flex, so that will be on my list of things to get :)

As for the spinner, I am trying to get better centering/speed/comfort on my back sit, forward camel, and back camel, and I was wondering if the spin trainer helped with things like that. My back sit, especially, is a very uncomfortable spin for me (I love the forward sit), and although I've been working on it for two years, it is still very hit-or-miss.

fadedstardust
11-05-2004, 01:35 AM
You cannot really do camels on those spinners. Many people say you can pick up bad habits from them. I don't know if that's true, but I know that nothing beats ice practice, and that the amount of work on spins that you can actually do on those things are very little. And you stand very little chance of being able to balance a camel on it, although I'm sure some have. But I know some who have also fallen face first just for trying.

Mrs Redboots
11-05-2004, 05:38 AM
Where dd you get it, and how much was it?Friend brought it for me from the USA as a present. I had hoped you could get one at Topskate (http://www.topskate.co.uk) but they don't seem to have one, although they do have Maxi-flex.

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-05-2004, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the responses. It seems that everyone likes the maxi-flex, so that will be on my list of things to get :)

As for the spinner, I am trying to get better centering/speed/comfort on my back sit, forward camel, and back camel, and I was wondering if the spin trainer helped with things like that. My back sit, especially, is a very uncomfortable spin for me (I love the forward sit), and although I've been working on it for two years, it is still very hit-or-miss.

hm.... well i wouldnt recomend it, because i dont think it gives you the same feel, but thats just my opinion.... hope it helps, and there kinda expensive mine was 30 but i saw some for $50

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-05-2004, 06:02 AM
Where dd you get it, and how much was it?
yea, i got mine in canada and they were 30-50 dollars....

isk84kalan
11-23-2004, 06:02 PM
i wouldn't mind a Maxi-Flex. But a spinner? I have seen one, and someone in my club has one, but she spins so horribly....I think I'll skip on that one. ;)

Figuresk8_katie
11-25-2004, 04:03 PM
One of my coaches (2003 canadians competitor) told me at my last test day that the spinners are basically meant for warming up your rotations before going on for warm-up. Since warm-ups generally aren't very long, you're supposed to warm all the tight rotations up off ice so once you get on the ice for warm-up you're all ready to go! I haven't got a maxi-flex...but it's DEFINITELY going on my Christmas List! lol bye guys!!