View Full Version : Maybe visiting NYC around Christmas time

jazzpants
11-03-2004, 05:09 PM
Howdy!

It's time to visit the in-laws... especially since my FIL's health is not doing too well these days. :cry: So we're looking at tickets and it looks like we're going to try to go to NYC this year to visit the in-laws... Likely time to go is somewhere between Dec 21st and 28th of this year.

So the obvious places to go skating are... Rockefeller Center, Central Park and Chelsea Piers. I will probably end up going to Chelsea Piers this time, since I didn't make it there last time I was at NYC. Knowing my in-laws, they will take me to Grant Park(?) in Hewlett to skate too.

My questions are: 1) where would be good times to get some quality ice w/o feeling like I'm gonna to look dopey on the ice. (I'm just a pre-Bronze skater here!!!) 2) If I could get a couple of lessons from a pretty good skating coach while I'm there, that would be REALLY KEWL!!! Any recommendations? (Please PM me on this one...) 3) Wanna meet me (those of you who skate at or near NYC?) I'll be happy to arrange something...

And, unfortunately due to finances and the fact that I'm realizing I'm not likely gonna pass Bronze Moves by the Jan deadline, never mind Bronze FS, I'll probably be skipping Sectionals and Nationals for this year as well too. :cry: I'll probably will be focusing on Bronze Moves 'til I pass the bloody test and then onto competing at local comps to get more competition experience as I work on my jumps and spins.

See 'ya there!!! (I hope...)

dbny
11-03-2004, 06:26 PM
Hooray! Maybe I can convince you to come to Brooklyn for a morning at the Kate Wollman Rink in Prospect Park. You can find ice time at Chelsea Piers here (http://www.chelseapiers.com/sr01.htm) and here (http://www.thescny.org/). Don't worry about looking dopey on the ice, you won't.

jazzpants
11-08-2004, 01:59 AM
Hooray! Maybe I can convince you to come to Brooklyn for a morning at the Kate Wollman Rink in Prospect Park. You can find ice time at Chelsea Piers here (http://www.chelseapiers.com/sr01.htm) and here (http://www.thescny.org/). Don't worry about looking dopey on the ice, you won't. What's the easiest way to get there? I'm coming on the LIRR and not sure if I should come via Jamaica, go to Penn Station and then come back out to Brooklyn. I want to take the LIRR to Brooklyn, but am not sure how to get from any of the LIRR stops to Prospect Park. I'm not taking a car there. except for a trip to and from the airport to my in-laws home and back now. But I'll be on public transportation for most of the trip.

Thanks much for the info!

dbny
11-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Take the LIRR to Atlantic Ave. Then you can get the Q train to the Prospect Park stop. If we work it out properly, I can pick you up there, and take you back to Atlantic Ave, if you are going right "home" again.

Where on LI are you going to be? I skate at Iceland in New Hyde Park on Friday afternoons and go from there to Abe Stark in Brooklyn to teach.

jazzpants
11-09-2004, 01:09 AM
Take the LIRR to Atlantic Ave. Then you can get the Q train to the Prospect Park stop. If we work it out properly, I can pick you up there, and take you back to Atlantic Ave, if you are going right "home" again.

Where on LI are you going to be? I skate at Iceland in New Hyde Park on Friday afternoons and go from there to Abe Stark in Brooklyn to teach.I will be in Valley Stream. If my in-laws takes me to the ice rink (which lately will not be likely since both their eye sight isn't what it used to be...), I will end up going to Grant Park in Hewlett.

I might take you up on the offer for a ride! :)

Raine
11-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Hi, Jazz!

Sorry to hear that you're father-in-law is not doing well. Your in-laws will take comfort in your visit, I'm sure. :)

Visiting NYC many years ago I went to a small studio rink called the Ice Studio at 1034 Lexington Avenue. I just looked this place up and it seems to still exist. I couldn't find a web site, but their number is (212) 535-0304.

It was a revelation for me to skate there because there were ballet studio-type mirrors, and it was the first time I'd ever seen myself skate, and I horrified by my bent free leg "extensions"! I and a little girl and her instructor were the only skaters there. I remember walking to Bloomingdale's afterwards, which is several blocks up the street.

Hope you have a great trip.

Cheers,
Raine

sue123
11-12-2004, 11:02 PM

Where on LI are you going to be? I skate at Iceland in New Hyde Park on Friday afternoons and go from there to Abe Stark in Brooklyn to teach.

i used to go to abe stark every weekend before i went away to school. i live about 2 blocks from there. now, i have a 20 minute drive to get to the closest rink around here, until december when the outdoor rink that's across the street from the school opens.

viennese
11-13-2004, 08:53 AM
i am not far from prospect park and skated there last winter (very cold, but lovely under the stars). a friend & kids did a hockey basic skills class there and had a blast. we will be pleased to go check out rink conditions for you.

from the Atlantic Avenue station you can take the
* Q train to 7th Avenue OR
* 2/3 to Grand Army Plaza Brooklyn

these two stops are just one block apart from each other.

You can walk 10 min. through the park to the Wollman Rink (there are signs and maps) or, if you take the Q train, you can pick up a bus that goes alongside the park on Flatbush Avenue (you will want the the UPHILL, away-from-Manhattan side of the street. Ask for the stop nearest the Wollman Rink and the Prospect Park Zoo.

A taxi would go the same way as the bus.