View Full Version : My daughter wants to skate...

Birdlady
11-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Hello all!

I am new to all of this...my daughter want to ice skate. She is 6. She is just completing her first 6 lessons in a Learn to skate series. Her coach has told me to go ahead and move her up to team lessons already! I already signed her up for 6 more weeks of the Learn to Skate and was told that should be good but after that, she will be bored and is ready to move up to Team Excel (if anyone is familiar with the program)

Question...

What is a decent skate to buy for her? Her feet are always cold is her main complaint. I am totally clueless as to anything about this sport , although I do love to watch it on TV! I trust her coach and the rink she is currently practicing at so no problems there (Iceworks in Aston,PA) but I am sure if she sticks with it, I will have plenty of other questions!

Thanks in advance for anyone so kindly as to answer my totally beginner question!

AshBugg44
11-02-2004, 01:25 AM
I would recommend asking at the ice rink for someone who does skate fittings there. They can recommend the best skates for your daughter based on her skill level, size and such. They probably know much more than I do. I know the lady that does skates at my rink is incredibly knowledgable!

skaternum
11-02-2004, 04:59 AM
Cold feet is pretty common with beginners because, quite frankly, they're just not moving around enough to work up some body heat. Also, if she's wearing cheap plastic rentals ... shiver!

Both Riedell and Jackson make good low level skates. Riedells are notoriously narrow, while Jacksons are notoriously wide. Your best bet is to go to a good skate shop with a good fitter (ask the coach for a recommendation) and have her fit properly. The fitter should ask about her skating level and measure her foot. You should get a boot that comes with the blade screwed on to the sole. Be warned, though. Do not buy "too much" skate for her level. If they try to sell you boots and blades sold seperately, go somewhere else. Boots that are too stiff will discourage her and could prevent her from learning her basic skills properly.

Good luck!

Mrs Redboots
11-02-2004, 06:43 AM
You might also want to ask your daughter's teacher if s/he knows of anybody who has outgrown her boots and whose mother might be willing to sell them on. At your daughter's age, skates are very often outgrown before they are outworn, and a second-hand pair may well do her very nicely indeed. But if you do hear of a pair, again, check with her teacher to make sure they (a) fit and (b) aren't actually broken down.

Sk8n Mama
11-02-2004, 09:00 AM
I would ask your daughter's coach what is an appropriate skate for her level. She may know of a place or listing of used skates, which are perfectly fine for your daughter's level. New skates won't make her feet warmer, though. The cold feet is more a product of the fact that there is a fair bit of standing around at the Learn-to-Skate level. Don't be afraid to ask the coach questions-that's what he/she is being paid for :)

Perry
11-02-2004, 03:44 PM
I agree with Mrs. Redboots -- used skates may be the best way to go. You get better quality skates for a cheaper price, and, frankly, it can be difficult for a beginner to break in new skates. With used ones, there is a breakin process, but its not nearly as difficult, since the boots are already partially worn. Fruthermore, since she's six, you're not going to be buying boots from someone who's getting new ones because they've over-worn the old ones; you're going to be buying boots from someone who's outgrown the old ones, so they shouldn't be overly broken down. That said, you should probably have someone you trust that knows skating with you when you do this, to make sure the boots haven't been mistreated, and that the people aren't overcharging. My first boots, eleven years ago, were used, and, though I don't remember much, since I was 4, I'm told they were perfectly fine.

Also, on the cold feet note, there used to be this rink around here that couldn't have been more than 20 degrees. I didn't skate there all the time, but when I did, I wore thick over tights and undertights. I don't know if Mondor still makes the thick undertights, but provided they don't make your daughter's feet not fit in the boots, they really help. Also, don't tie her skates too tight -- sometimes cutting off your feet's circulation can make them feel like they're cold.

fadedstardust
11-02-2004, 11:37 PM
If you do check out used boots (and it's a perfectly good idea, because even beginner NEW boots will run you 75-100 bucks) be SURE to check the blades- and yeah have someone with you to double check. There can't be too many deep nicks and especially, no rust, or very little. The most common thing I would imagine with little kids is leaving the skateguards on too long (which creates rust), walking around without skateguards (which can drive hard things into the blade and create huge nicks that sharpening may not smooth out), or not drying skates/taking off skateguards at all which will definitely kill the blade. The boot is less likely to be unusable than the blade so be very careful with that! Good luck and yay for your daughter, this is a great sport!! Ask anything you want!

Birdlady
11-03-2004, 12:24 AM
WOW! Thanks for all the great responses!!! I had been considering the used skate route..so thanks for letting me know what to look for. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who could go with me. I really, REALLY am totally new to skating! She wanted to try it, so we went to the rink. I am really just learning my way around.

Thanks for all being so nice and not calling me names

:roll: :lol:

Melzorina
11-03-2004, 05:16 AM
Call you names? Why would anyone do that? You should relax, these people are cool!

lazenpa
11-03-2004, 06:05 AM
this is what i would do. run run run as fast as you can to a differnet sport. do it fast run run run

dbny
11-03-2004, 03:24 PM
I agree with other posters, but also would like to give you someplace to start from. First, your daughter should wear tights, not socks. Second, a rule of thumb is that figure skates should be a size smaller than shoe size. Sizing varies from brand to brand, but for the entry level skates, a size smaller is pretty true. Be careful not to get a larger size when the real problem is width. If you are in doubt about the length of the boot, pull out the insole and have her stand on it. Finally, this is hard to describe, but can be important in getting a good fit. Have your daughter put her foot into the boot, then, before lacing it up, have her kick the tail of the blade down onto the floor. This seats the heel as far back as it will go. With her foot still in the kicking position, with the tail of the blade on the floor, and the toe up, lace the bottom of the boot. When you reach the hooks, have her put her foot flat on the floor and bend her knee over her toes. Continue lacing with her leg in that position. This should create enough room at the back of the boot for you to put your thumb in, and will allow her to bend her knees while wearing the skates.

Lmarletto
11-03-2004, 09:02 PM
First, your daughter should wear tights, not socks.
Not even socks the same weight as skating tights? Why is that?

Second, a rule of thumb is that figure skates should be a size smaller than shoe size. Sizing varies from brand to brand, but for the entry level skates, a size smaller is pretty true.
I have found that the Riedell 21's in kids sizes 11, 12 and 13 are pretty close to street shoe size - according to the insole test anyway and Riedell's measuring guidelines. I never could get my rather small hand down the back of those little skates. My Riedells were 2 sizes smaller though.

Birdlady, I've heard that the hockey guy in the pro shop at Ice Works does a pretty good job fitting beginning figureskaters. It's a bit of a haul for us so I've never checked him out. Do the coaches there not recommend the pro shop?

Birdlady
11-03-2004, 10:54 PM
Thanks all!

Yes, actually, they do recommend the pro shop for fitting and then to buy used ones :lol: LOL They have one of those machines that I am guessing is for the heat-molded skates....Those sound interesting! How are they? Probably out of price range for what I would like to spend right now. Will $75 - $100 get me a decent new or used skate appropriate for a beginner?
Thanks also for the tip on lacing the skates!!

I just wanted to get some background so I feel comforatable with any advice I get from them. I don't want to be sold stuff I really don't want or need. Plenty of time for that later..I'm sure :)

Mrs Redboots
11-04-2004, 04:15 AM
Heat-moulded skates come in a variety of weights - a couple of manufacturers make them like that for ease of wear. New skates can be very uncomfortable just at first - no worse than hired ones, I hasten to add, but they do need to be "worn in" to fit your (your child's) feet. And some manufacturers have stuffing in them which moulds to fit and, once it has done that (after you've skated in them several times) you get them "baked" in shape. Which you can do in a domestic oven - I did my husband's. Or you can leave them as they are.

I don't know prices in the USA, but here you would get a good pair of used skates for the equivalent of the amount you mention. But do ask whether your child may skate in them first, before you definitely decide to buy, and do get either her teacher, or the staff at the shop, to check whether they fit her. It's no good saying that because she will take size X in brand Y, she will also take size X in brand Z, although that will give you a good starting-point.

CanAmSk8ter
11-04-2004, 06:33 AM
Will $75 - $100 get me a decent new or used skate appropriate for a beginner?

It should. I would check out the pro shop at your rink- Ice Works is a great rink (one of my former coaches teaches there now, probably doesn't teach learn-to-skate though), and I would think they'd have someone there who knows what they're doing, at least for a beginner. Most of the better rinks do.

NickiT
11-04-2004, 09:15 AM
I would certainly look into second-hand skates at this stage as your daughter is still very young and as others have said, little skates get grown out of before they are worn out. Also brand new skates are very expensive and if your daughter sticks with her skating you will have plenty of years ahead where you will need to buy brand new boots and blades at great expense, so while she is at this young stage, I'd definitely go for used skates. I did with my two until they reached a certain standard.

Nicki

luna_skater
11-04-2004, 08:17 PM
I have found that the Riedell 21's in kids sizes 11, 12 and 13 are pretty close to street shoe size - according to the insole test anyway and Riedell's measuring guidelines. I never could get my rather small hand down the back of those little skates. My Riedells were 2 sizes smaller though.

My Riedells are also 2 sizes smaller than my regular shoes. I wear an 8.5 and my skates are a 6.5. However, I have had them for 7 years so I don't know if they still size them the same.

Birdlady
11-08-2004, 01:44 PM
OK, went to the Proshop, and for her size, they have Reidell's only. $85.00

Are these decent? Should I check out other brands as well? (regarding the reference earlier of narrow vs wider skates) She is skinny so I think her foot tends to be more narrow than wide. How is that price?

Also, after her first 6 lessons, she has been "graduated" to the Team Excel program. She finished all the snowplow sam items except for the 1 foot glide and of course, the stop. I think I am gonna be in trouble....LOL

Thanks!!

:D

twokidsskatemom
11-08-2004, 02:03 PM
OK, went to the Proshop, and for her size, they have Reidell's only. $85.00

Are these decent? Should I check out other brands as well? (regarding the reference earlier of narrow vs wider skates) She is skinny so I think her foot tends to be more narrow than wide. How is that price?

Also, after her first 6 lessons, she has been "graduated" to the Team Excel program. She finished all the snowplow sam items except for the 1 foot glide and of course, the stop. I think I am gonna be in trouble....LOL

Thanks!!

:D
The are fine for a starter skater. The fact she is small isnt related to her foot being wide or not,I have a 36lb 5yo who has jacksons.
As fas as skates themselves, I wouldnt worry about it much. She is just starting, she might not want to skate for long, her feet will grow in a few months you will have to buy another pair.All kids have different feet so what she uses now might not be what she uses when she starts doing jumps which will not be for awhile anyway.
have fun !!!

rudi
11-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Those sound good.

I bought Jackson's for about that price, but I also tried on some Reidell's. I just went w/the ones that felt best on my feet.

Good luck.

Lmarletto
11-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Is this something different than the USFS Basic 8 that follows Snowplow Sam in USFS program? Just curious...my daughter has been in both ISI and USFS programs. I didn't know there was anything else.

twokidsskatemom
11-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Is this something different than the USFS Basic 8 that follows Snowplow Sam in USFS program? Just curious...my daughter has been in both ISI and USFS programs. I didn't know there was anything else.

http://www.iceworks.net/figure_teamexcel.shtml

Sounds like another program by this coach.

I looked at it, it would be one day of off ice and one day for lessons.Im not sure if I would put a starter child in it and Im not sure about someone telling you your child would be bored in lts classes yet.
I would check more into it ...

I read some more... I think they just have basic basic skating and then they go into the fs or hockey part.... I bet the lts doesnt do basic 1 to 8
Team excel is just the fs part of it.

Birdlady
11-08-2004, 11:55 PM
It's a two part class, 45 minutes ice and 45 minutes off ice....same day- one class follows right after the other. It also includes a half hour Saturday practice time, plus a pass to the weekly public skate. I assume to encourage the kids to skate more that just the formal lesson.

I have watched her in all her lessons and have seen her do everything. She does seem a bit bored. She will be going into a class with 2 coaches for more attention. She says she is bored, too altho she loves to go to the classes! She says, she wished the rink was next to our house so she could go everyday!! LOL!

After going through the website a bit more, I think it is just a bridging type program....I will let you all know! She starts tomorrow ! :)

fadedstardust
11-09-2004, 03:03 AM
Be careful because just because your kid loves/is doing well with skating doesn't mean she'll want to do a program like this. If it includes off ice, it's a pretty serious program. Off ice is basically (usually) working out, working on jumps, etc...it's conditioning and muscle building. Kids start taking it when they reach I'd say Juvenile-Intermediate freestyle (double jumps) and need to start building more endurance, muscle, and working on the snap of their double and triple jumps. I don't really think it's something that would benefit a little kid or something they would enjoy doing, but maybe I am wrong. I don't know how old the kid is or what level she has passed (I can't remember so far back as the snowplow sam stuff, if I even took it to begin with), but maybe if she is bored she could stay in LTS and have a weekly/bi-weekly private lesson instead, if funds are available. It seems like that would be more worth your money than this, but that's just my opinion. Again, I have no idea why I'm even awake right now so if it doesn't make sense, feel free to ignore it. :)

Mrs Redboots
11-09-2004, 06:40 AM
It so depends on the kid, of course - we have a 4-year-old at our rink who has just started the off-ice stretch classes offered by one of the mothers who happens to be a gymnastics/dance/fitness teacher, and she's absolutely loving it. Partly, I suspect, because she gets attention from the older skaters in the class, but also because it's new and different....

Birdlady
11-09-2004, 07:12 AM
It is supposed to be geared to her age group- she is 6....but...I'll let you know tonite how it goes :) I think they also are trying to stress injury prevention and good habits start early ...

Birdlady
11-09-2004, 08:31 PM
OK, cause I cannot read, obviously, I showed up for the lesson tonite and it was a 45 minute freestyle practice time, and 45 minute on ice lesson. Mondays and Thursdays include the off ice lesson.

I did ask about it tho, and they have ages 5 to 8 in this class and the off ice stresses things like balance, coordination, stretching, etc.

Tonite on the ice they worked on a 1 foot glide, beginning spins, and going from skating forward to backward (the transition steps).

So I don't know all the skating terms used up above here, hope I answered some questions. BTW, she loved the lesson, and skated the full hour and a half. But she cried almost hysterically when she took her skates off because her feet hurt from being so cold. :lol: 8O :roll:

Birdlady
11-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Also, can anyone recommend a site or book that will give me some basic terminology and info for this sport that won't put me to sleep? Thanks!! :D

Lmarletto
11-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Cool that the group is just 5-8yo. Was the lesson a different format than standard LTS? Did they play games that emphasized skill development or just work on skills in isolation? If the intention of the program is to give little skaters a taste of the format of real figure skating training and to make learning skills more appealing than the standard LTS program, I don't see the harm in that. My daughter's dance school, for example, tries to give very young dancers a feel for the environment of serious dance training while still keeping the content of the lessons both physically and emotionally age appropriate.

I'll be interested to hear what constitutes off-ice training for this age group. I can imagine all sorts of fun exercises that would be good for beginning skaters. I have jokingly referred to my daughter's gymnastics class as off-ice training, but really the focus on upper body and core strength training in that class has had a big impact on her balance.

Oh, and this site (www.sk8stuff.com) has a lot of good basic information.

fadedstardust
11-09-2004, 11:09 PM
Yes, it sounds like a good class, and the fact that she skated the whole time is great!! I also am curious to see what the off-ice class includes, please post back after your daughter experiences it! But it seems like a good program now that you've given us some idea of what it is.

As far as books, most Barnes and Noble or Borders have a decent selection of books- one is called the School of Figure Skating I think, it has a guy in a blue spandex suit (Scott Hamilton??) jumping on the cover. Then there is "steps to figure skating" or something similar, it has a woman and man's figure skates on the cover. There's others, pretty much any "technique" book will have a decent overview of skating, and most have graphics/diagrams. I know Nancy has a book like that too, and Kristi Yamaguchi has a "Figure Skating for Idiots" book though I'm not sure how technical that one gets. Just take a look at your bookstore, they're bound to have something, and they're usually more helpful than online sites because they can put diagrams and drawings. I haven't seen many of those online. Good luck!!

Birdlady
11-09-2004, 11:16 PM
Yeah! Skating for Idiots !! that's what I need!! HAHAHA....

Seriously, thanks for all your help here and information! I really appreciate it! What did we folks do before the internet...... ;)

bizsk8
11-10-2004, 06:22 AM
Team Excel is a bridge program. It exists at IceWorks in Aston PA and I know it exists in Fairfax VA as Team Select. It bridge skaters from recreational skating to potentially more commitment to the sport, whether it be competitive or not. :)

Birdlady
11-11-2004, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the info! I'll post more details about the off ice class when she takes it on Monday. :)

flippet
11-12-2004, 09:27 PM
Kristi Yamaguchi has a "Figure Skating for Idiots" book though I'm not sure how technical that one gets.
The book is Figure Skating for Dummies (you've probably seen the 'for dummies' series of books, with the yellow covers), and for someone new to the sport, it's not too bad. Take a look at your local library too, as well as browsing the bookstore.

Here's the book at Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764550845/qid=1100316314/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/103-2395927-8599057)

fadedstardust
11-13-2004, 04:41 AM
Haha I guess dummy is a slightly more tactful term. ;) Either way, it's bright and yellow and it's out there. I've seen it at Barnes and Noble before.

Birdlady
11-13-2004, 03:35 PM
Well, I took the plunge :) ! After going to 3 "sporting good" stores in DE, I got new skates at the Proshop! Dick's, Sports Authority, and some other place in a mall all had $30 skates.

I got the Reidell's ...her shoe size is 13....her skate is a size 1 1/2. She skated for 2 hours today and her feet were not cold at all!!!! They were $75 and I had a 10% off coupon so I think that was a good deal. Her dad was looking at the Reidell 27's(once he saw the difference between what she had and what she could have) and they were $150 but I did mention that they won't fit her in 6 months so we went with the lesser expensive ones. Thanks for all the good advice here! Still will post on her off ice class on Monday for anyone who is interested! 8-)

timing
11-13-2004, 07:32 PM
I got the Reidell's ...her shoe size is 13....her skate is a size 1 1/2. She skated for 2 hours today and her feet were not cold at all!!!!
That seems large. My daughter has been wearing Riedell's for a few years and they have always been the same size or a 1/2 size smaller than her sneakers. She is now in a size 3 sneaker and we just had her size 2 1/2 skates stretched (length and width). She has worn Silver Stars and the last three pairs have been Gold Stars (not a beginner skate) so maybe they are sized differently.

Glad to hear that her feet are now warm. In the winter when the rink is colder my daughter wears her in the boot tights and adds a pair of over the boot tights for additional warmth. Warm feet makes the skating much more enjoyable.

icedancer2
11-13-2004, 07:34 PM
I thought that sounded too big, too. Are the boots nice and snug? Don't wear thick socks under them -- the boots should be snug enough that a pair of tights or thin socks are all you need.

Good luck with your daughter -- skating is great fun!!

twokidsskatemom
11-13-2004, 11:58 PM
my son started in rie 17, and still wears them , but a bigger size.His shoe size is 13 and he wears 13 skates. Last year he was 12 shoe and 12 skate. He wears thin socks, kind the same as tights.

Birdlady
11-14-2004, 04:58 PM
Well, I can't move the skate on her foot....it seems snug...she could not get the 13's on at all. She skated fine with them. :roll: :) I hope they are OK.

icedancer2
11-14-2004, 05:09 PM
They sound fine, then.

Happy skating! :)

Birdlady
11-16-2004, 07:34 PM
OK! The off ice class consisted of , jogging, jumping rope, jumping jacks...left and right excercises, quarter turns and half turns. Practicing form for 'spirals' (guess you all know what that is :) ) He worked them pretty good and one child walked off to get a drink and he told her "I did not say you could stop yet" in a nice way.....

He also used these excercises as a teaching tool. He would say "do 10 jumping jacks" and if they went over or under, he would say they did good but Only to do what he asked for , no more, no less.....they need to learn discipline and that is what discipline means...doing what is asked exactly.

Then they all got to play "crab tag" which was pretty funny!!!

Lmarletto
11-16-2004, 08:27 PM
That sounds like good off-ice fun for 6yos. Listening and following directions seems like a key focus for most activities for that age group. :lol:

fadedstardust
11-16-2004, 10:57 PM
Yup, sounds like a good class! The only thing is that a kid shouldn't have to ask permission (and disrupt the whole class) if they really need a glass of water during strenuous excercise. They need to keep hydrated and having the "humiliation" of interrupting and asking in front of everyone very often prevents people, especially younger kids, from drinking when they need to. Otherwise, sounds great, glad you and your daughter found such a good program for her! :)

twokidsskatemom
11-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Yup, sounds like a good class! The only thing is that a kid shouldn't have to ask permission (and disrupt the whole class) if they really need a glass of water during strenuous excercise. They need to keep hydrated and having the "humiliation" of interrupting and asking in front of everyone very often prevents people, especially younger kids, from drinking when they need to. Otherwise, sounds great, glad you and your daughter found such a good program for her! :)
You know i agree again lol.

Mrs Redboots
11-17-2004, 06:04 AM
It's also important to know when not to do the class - the heating has totally broken at our rink, and I asked one tot, who I know is part of the stretching class at 6.30 pm on Tuesdays, whether she was doing stretches with so-and-so's Mummy (she was skating with "So-and-so" at that moment), as if she was, it was time to go and take her skates off, but she said she wasn't going to stretch this week because "it's freezing cold up there!" I think the class did take place, but I'm not sure - the teacher was worried in case she got cold (she is not a skater) and was unable to stretch.

Make sure your daughter doesn't try to skate or stretch if she isn't quite well - they say if all your symptoms are above the neck, that's fine, but if they descend below it, then rest.

(Whenever I see the title of this thread, "My daughter wants to skate.....", I'm always tempted to add "So don't get in her way!")

Birdlady
11-17-2004, 05:08 PM
;) Trying not to get in the way ;)
I just want to make sure she is getting what she needs and wants to "have fun" at this point!

Yeah, I am a mom that feels this way, if you have a fever, you stay home. Period. Otherwise, it depends on how she feels if she wants to do an activity or stay home. I try to be a temperate mom, and I try not to delude myself that my child is perfect! LOL!

About the drink part, they had really just started and my kid is new, but this child was not. She was somewhat disruptive in that she kept interrupting the instructor and stating that she wanted to do things other that what he wanted them to do at the time. I don't think it was mean spirited but just to mantain some discipline within the framework of the class. I think :lol:

I am glad for all your input and that you feel this is a reasonble class for my kid......Thanks!!......

getting out of the way now :D 8O

luna_skater
11-17-2004, 06:34 PM

If they REALLY need a drink, then yes. But in my experience, kids who need a drink really are just tired and want a break. The coach can probably judge whether the kid is looking to slack off, or really does need some hydration. ;)

twokidsskatemom
11-18-2004, 07:07 PM
If they REALLY need a drink, then yes. But in my experience, kids who need a drink really are just tired and want a break. The coach can probably judge whether the kid is looking to slack off, or really does need some hydration. ;)

Or they really need a drink of water.Im not sure a coach who has 10 kids or more in a class can tell if a child needs water .If it was every 10 minutes that is one thing. If its once, then child needed it. Or having bad day.This is a class for young kids, not 10 year old or teens.
Imo :)

LittleBitSk8er
11-19-2004, 11:41 AM
this is what i would do. run run run as fast as you can to a differnet sport. do it fast run run run
That is what I felt like saying... :lol: But in all honestly, my child loves to skate and if your does too then it is worth the cost! There is so much to learn that can transfer to others areas of life it is hardly comprehendible! Great work ethics, dedication, self-reliance, persistence not to mention self-confidence .:)

I hope your daughter loves the sport, and I recommend getting her something to cover her ears and or head, gloves and a blanket to help keep you warm too!

In addition, a good starter boot is the Riedells. But be sure to get the boots that come with the blade…if not then run run run to another pro shop!

Good Luck and Happy Skating8-)

batikat
11-19-2004, 06:31 PM
[QUOTE=LittleBitSk8er, and I recommend getting her something to cover her ears and or head, gloves and a blanket to help keep you warm too[/QUOTE]

Just an idea to help you keep warm if you are watching the skate lessons. Get a small fold up pad to sit on if you are rinkside. I have one that cost just a few pounds ($5 ish). It is incredibly light, folds in half and then half again so ends up about 4" by 15" when folded and is highly insulating. It is amazing what a difference something warm to sit on can make to one's comfort while watching kids skate! Mine came from a 'Natural World' shop but I guess most outdoor type shops would have them.

Of course you can always skate too.....I do, but not usually on the same sessions as my kids so the seat pad is very useful!

sue123
11-19-2004, 06:43 PM
[QUOTE=LittleBitSk8er, and I recommend getting her something to cover her ears and or head, gloves and a blanket to help keep you warm too

Just an idea to help you keep warm if you are watching the skate lessons. Get a small fold up pad to sit on if you are rinkside. I have one that cost just a few pounds ($5 ish). It is incredibly light, folds in half and then half again so ends up about 4" by 15" when folded and is highly insulating. It is amazing what a difference something warm to sit on can make to one's comfort while watching kids skate! Mine came from a 'Natural World' shop but I guess most outdoor type shops would have them.

Of course you can always skate too.....I do, but not usually on the same sessions as my kids so the seat pad is very useful![/QUOTE]

if you're not so adament about watching your kid skate, most rinks have a place seperated from the actual ice that isn't cold. my old rink had a place with benches and tables right outside the skate rental place, along with a pizza stand. my dad spent many hours there while he waited for me, since the skating lessons weren't during general skating. but i could understand if you want to see your kid skate, in which case i would second the idea for a blanket if your rink is really cold, but i would think that usually a warm sweater and jacket with gloves is usually enough?

that seat warmer thing sounds pretty cool actually. i should get one like that for my car.

Birdlady
11-19-2004, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all the good tips! My daughter has actually begun to shed her gear because I guess between the new boots keeping her feet warm and her moving a bit more, she is sweating! LOL!!!

Here is a pic of where she skates, the Restaraunt has a full rinkside window, there are 4 rinks and there is a restaraunt view of all 4 (2 restaraunts , one in between each pair of rinks)

http://www.iceworks.net/cafe.shtml

The outside and a blurb on the overview for the rink

http://www.iceworks.net/company.shtml

I consider myself fairly lucky as this rink is 15 minutes from my home. I have seen Elvis Stojko there more than once.... :) He is very nice.

My daughters coaches are Samantha Hunter and Oleg Fediukov

Here is the program...and the coaches, many of whom I have met and all are extremely nice there!

http://www.iceworks.net/figure_teamexcel.shtml

Thanks about the seat pad! I have a Brownie Girl Scout Troop,,,perhaps I will have them make a "Sit Upon" for me! While I do occassionally sit in the restaraunts....I am a crazy mom who prefers to sit right in the penalty box!!! LOL As long as I am not distracting the kids.....If it is a problem I go away :lol:

I can't thank you all enough for the excellent feedback and advice! You are all really nice and helpful! I feel much better!

skaterinjapan
11-20-2004, 09:20 PM
Hi Birdlady and all,

I've been following all the posts here and today went to the Team Excel website. It seems like a fun alternative to the Basic Skills program! I hope your daughter enjoys it.

I noticed on the website that Debbie Koegel is an instructor at your rink. She was actually my first coach back at the International Skating Center of Connecticut in 1995. I remember her fondly--she did a great job of teaching me basic skills moves while also being very warm and friendly. Debbie must have been only around 18 then, but she was a great instructor.

Regarding watching your daughter's lessons from the hockey box...Where I work, we don't allow parents in the rink at all during lessons, because we've found that their very presence can be too distracting for the students. Since your daughter appears to be comfortable in lessons, I would suggest watching her from the comfort of the warm restaurants, or at least, from a greater distance away than the hockey boxes so that she can become an independent skater. You'd be surprised as to how much self-confidence a skater can gain if her parents aren't always there to provide re-affirmation and support!

Good luck, and enjoy skating!

Birdlady
11-20-2004, 11:11 PM
LOL! Small World! It seems all the staff I have met so far are very nice there!

I posted earlier...I watch ringside only if I am not a distraction. If she is even looking at me, I go the the restaraunt. But, as far as she is concerned...I may as well be chopped liver while she is skating! Ha!

I really just try to blend into the background...I work at a dental office and know just how distracting parents can be, regardless of their intentions and I try to keep that in mind at all times! Thanks for the advice!