View Full Version : Question about Men's boots

pennybeagle
11-01-2004, 06:42 PM
Hi folks,

My husband has started a LTS class and likes it enough that he's considering buying his own skates :D

Skill-wise, he is a beginner who is fairly coordinated and not afraid of speed (has done a lot of inline skating before). Size-wise, he's close to 200 lbs, so while I don't want to get "too much" of a boot, I don't want to encourage him to buy skates that will break down too quickly on him. He has a fairly wide foot.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

skaternum
11-01-2004, 07:37 PM
Oh, boy! We've got another one hooked. :twisted:

For a wide-footed, beginning skater, I'd suggest the Jackson "Glacier" skate. Here is a link to Rainbo's catalog: Men's Glacier (http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/product.cfm?id=4AC56B5C-475A-BAC0-52ED91D5F9BC3E7D). Really, any of the lower end Jackson skates would be fine. Jackson's are known for being wide, so they'd probably be a good fit. Make sure he wears extremely thin socks when he gets fitted and when he skates, lest he get blisters.

FYI, Riedell skates are known for being built on a narrow last, so you'll probably want to avoid those.

dbny
11-01-2004, 08:29 PM
It's hard to get "too much" boot for a 200 pounder who likes to go fast and has inline experience, IMO. I second the Jacksons, for their width, but I would recommend the Freestyle, which is not an entry level boot. I don't think your husband will have a problem with its stiffness and I do think he would break down a Glacier fairly quickly. The Freestyle is heat moldable for comfort and has a Mark IV blade which is a good all around blade.

slusher
11-01-2004, 08:53 PM
I agree with Jackson Freestyles. The toepicks could be interesting on the MarkIV blades for a beginner.

dbny
11-01-2004, 10:10 PM
I agree with Jackson Freestyles. The toepicks could be interesting on the MarkIV blades for a beginner.

Inliners do not generally have a problem catching the toepicks or pushing from them, as the inline push is from the side and not the toe, and is therefore very close to the figure push.

Mrs Redboots
11-02-2004, 06:51 AM
My fitter commented, last time we bought my husband a new pair of boots, that it's actually very difficult for men, as there is not a wide range of intermediate boots, unlike for women. A good choice of entry-level boots, and a good choice of elite boots, but not a lot in the middle! Husband ended up with Gams, and although he is a light-weight, he finds them very comfortable now; I have noticed, however, that heavy-weights do well in Gams. But take him to your own fitter, and see what he has to say!

pennybeagle
11-03-2004, 10:13 PM
Thanks to everyone for your advice!! I will look into the Jackson Freestyles. :D