View Full Version : Who has taken the adult Bronze MIF test?

vintagefreak
11-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Comments on this test from your experiences? Any cautions or advice? Thanks! ~AF

Mel On Ice
11-01-2004, 12:31 PM
I took it twice. First time I took it, I failed by two patterns, the 5 step mohawk sequence and the power 3s. I failed the 5 step on the basis of misinterpreting the pattern in an old rule book, and did 7 small, sloppy patterns down ONE SIDE of the rink, for a total of 14 lobes. Power 3s didn't have a lot of power in them, and were a bit scrapy.

When I passed the second time I took it, I had much more confidence in all of the moves, and was surprised to find I actually failed one move, but passed based on the fact the 5 step and power 3s were passed a tenth over passing. The failed move was the back crossovers to back outside edges, one of my stronger elements the first time I took the test. Earlier in MIF class, I was told I was holding the free leg too high, and the pattern resembled alternating back spirals. So I overcorrected, and held the leg too low, and was marked down for not having the leg in landing position.

And if you don't pass your test the first time, don't be upset, use the judges' comments to improve. I now know people who take the tests, knowing they will fail, just to know what they need to improve.

pennybeagle
11-01-2004, 02:36 PM
I took this test in the summer of 2003. My coach was very picky with moves, and I passed at or over the passing standard on each move. I know that different coaches have different approaches, but here's what worked for me (based on my test result paper and my skating notes from last summer)...

Power 3s: My coach wanted POWER on this, so I only did three power 3's on each side. Make sure that you bend your knees and cross under with power on the transition. When I say "cross under," I'm talking about the back crossover that you do to set up the next 3-turn. Too many skaters do a weak back crossover with their free leg dangling behind them (most likely because the 3-turn is scary to do with speed). To score more points with the judges, make sure you're not just crossing OVER, but also crossing UNDER with your free leg, getting that extra push, extending that leg and staying low in your skating knee. This move took me forever to get to my coach's satisfaction, but then I passed with an extra .2 on the test. Also, it's a good thing to have in your future programs...a quick way to get power and speed into something.

5-step: Clean feet. Make sure that your feet come together with control as you change feet EVERY TIME. This should look like a fluid dance move, with a nice lilting action in your knees. Also, you should think of each 5-step pattern as one continuous lobe...when you change feet, make sure you are stepping onto the same lobe with the correct edge. The first step of the sequence will determine the lobe. You should be quick and neat with your feet. Common mistakes I've seen (and mistakes I had to correct before taking the test): stepping too wide, stepping off the lobe, stepping onto an incorrect edge and switching the edge in the middle, changing the lobe in the middle of a 5-step pattern, scraping with toepicks. I was working on this pattern at the same time I was working on the Willow Waltz, so I got to hear a lot about the "staying on the same lobe" business. Personally, I hated this move, but I'm more of a power skater, anyway.

Forward perimeter stroking: These are forward progressives, with power. You should be crossing over and crossing under. Try to prevent yourself from breaking at the waist. The trickiest part for me was getting the darned crossovers on the ends, but that was a matter of getting the pattern consistently in the same place every time. Make sure your free leg is extended as you step on to the FI edges.

Back perimeter stroking: NO TOEPICKS. Get down in your knees, rotate your torso into the circle, and lean back on the crossovers on the end patterns to show speed and power. The judge wrote on my paper "good, deep lobes with power," which I suppose means that's what they want.

Back X-overs to back extensions: I've seen people do this in different ways, but my coach had me look over my shoulder on the back extension in the direction I was going. So, if I was doing a RBO extension, I'd look over my left shoulder. You have to keep your chest up and shoulders parallel to the ice...bend the skating knee like you're doing a landing position, and point the toe of the free leg. Again, no toepicks.

That's all the advice I have...good luck!

doubletoe
11-01-2004, 07:19 PM
On the 5-step mohawk sequence, make sure you count out the strokes in an even rhythm and stay on each stroke for the exact same length of time. If I recall correctly, I would tend to make the first and fifth stroke too short and the third stroke too long (and that third stroke would also tend to take me too far out from my lobe).

fadedstardust
11-01-2004, 10:03 PM
Woa, you guys have backwards perimeter stroking on your tests? The regular track doesn't have that, that actually sounds like a pain in the butt. You're just supposed to do it like the forward, but in reverse?

dbny
11-01-2004, 10:08 PM
Woa, you guys have backwards perimeter stroking on your tests? The regular track doesn't have that, that actually sounds like a pain in the butt. You're just supposed to do it like the forward, but in reverse?

They're talking about back power crossovers, not perimeter stroking as in the pre-pre MIF test.

Lurking Skater
11-01-2004, 10:12 PM
On the 5 step mowhawk, I always used a cadence in my head and that really seemed to help even out my steps, plus I kept thinking inside or outside on every step to make sure I stepped on a clean edge. Focus on your extension, too. It's the secondary focus, but more importantly, it shows you have control over your edges.

When I didn't pass my Preliminary moves, one thing that the judge told me to do on my back crossovers to back extensions was to let my shoulder guide me on the edge. I was used to keeping them checked, but once I got the hang of it, it really helped bring my edges around. Make sure to keep your back up and think of extending from your hip.

On the forward and backward power stroking, focus on getting both pushes from your crossovers and stepping on the inside edge after. That's another push to get more power.

Luckily, I passed this on the first try. I think the best thing I had going for me was confidence in myself, so I really went for everything. I think the judges pick up on that and it can only make you look better.

jazzpants
11-02-2004, 10:29 AM
I have this past August and unfortunately I did not pass the test. I haven't talk to my coaches yet about when I'll be taking it again, though I haven't really thought about it b/c of Skate SF.

I have been working on this since 2002 and it's been a frustrating experience. :frus: Sure, I get steady improvements, but I just don't see enough of it now to see myself passing the test even now. Never mind my nerves were already shot the day of the test -- I walked in 45 minutes earlier than my test time to find out that my warmup group is already warming up to skate! My coach didn't know about it either!!! 8O 8O 8O (Moral of that story: Show up at the beginning of the test session, even though you aren't skating for at least 2 hours!!! You never know when you're gonna be put on the ice b/c someone may drop out at the last minute.)

icedancer2
11-02-2004, 03:17 PM
I want to test this someday, but have a question, too:

On the Back cross-over to back edge extension move, has anyone ever seen anyone do the long back edge as a swing roll instead of as a brush-bacK?

I figure as an ice-dancer a swing roll (with nice extension) is more in keeping with my skating than the brush-back (ie., landing position) since I don't jump, ever. there are a few places in dance where a brush-back is optional (like on the Westminister Waltz), so maybe that's the way they want to see it...

I also have a lot of trouble with the power three-3s going to the right. The 3-turn is fine, but I have a lot of trouble stepping forward after the back cross-over. it drives me completely crazy and I have to do it really really slow, which just makes it worse. Arrgghhh!

Elsy2
11-02-2004, 03:55 PM

The bronze test does have Backward perimeter Crossover Stroking, which is also on the Pre-juvenile test. You probably just forgot that one!

The alternating backward crossovers to backward outside edges is on the Preliminary test.

vintagefreak
11-02-2004, 04:14 PM
I want to test this someday, but have a question, too:

On the Back cross-over to back edge extension move, has anyone ever seen anyone do the long back edge as a swing roll instead of as a brush-bacK?

My coach has me doing the long back edge as a swing roll. Actually, I started learning this pattern from a different coach who taught me the landing position/brush back but I feel so much better doing the swing roll. It flows so much better and this is one pattern I actually enjoy doing very much (that and the 5 step mohawk). Maybe I have an ice dancing future? Who knows. Anyway, its great getting the input, keep it coming! :) ~AF

doubletoe
11-02-2004, 04:59 PM
I don't know if it is "wrong" to do the back outside edges as swing rolls instead of jump landing position, but if in doubt, I'd suggest doing them in landing position (since--if I understand correctly--MIF were invented to improve skating skills of freestyle skaters). I was told by my coach that learning a proper landing position was the actual purpose of that move, and when I looked at the instructional video she loaned me, the skater was definitely doing the back outside edges in landing position.

sk8pics
11-02-2004, 06:32 PM
My main moves coach always wants me to do the back outside edge like a swing roll, so bring the leg forward and then back, but of course the final position is a landing position. I think doing it this way helps me settle over the outside edge properly. My primary coach hasn't mentioned this yet, but I'm sure it's becasue he has too many other things to pick on. :roll: Actually, I guess that's not quite fair because I like him to be picky, and the last time I worked on this with him he said they were the best he'd ever seen me do them. 8-)

Pat

fadedstardust
11-02-2004, 11:48 PM
They're talking about back power crossovers, not perimeter stroking as in the pre-pre MIF test.

Ohhhhhh yes I remember that one. I still do it everyday in warm up. I was picturing the reverse of the pre-preliminary basic stroking test for some odd reason. Whoosh, everything is going straight over my head lately. Thank you for the clear up!! :D

-as far as the swingroll vs brush back, I would say that's too big a risk to take. Some judges wouldn't mind. Some wouldn't notice. Some would fail you, I bet. Stick to the exact test so you have the highest chances of passing, I say. But then again if everyone at your rink says it's okay to do the swingroll instead, then it probably is.

pennybeagle
11-03-2004, 10:12 PM
On the back extensions...

I think the primary focus of that move is power, and then extension. I would agree that a swing roll looks pretty, but (like others have said) it may not be what judges are looking for.

If your coach has taken a lot of skaters through the adult Bronze or preliminary test at your rink, and they all passed with swing rolls, then I would say go for it. If you are testing at another rink, or if your coach doesn't have a lot of skaters who have passed this test, then I'd do the edge as a landing edge, point the toe, and focus on power.

I have tested at two different rinks, but I've never seen this move done with a back swing roll. Of course, take that with a grain of salt--this could be a regional thing.

Best of luck!