View Full Version : Buckeye Flight Info posted

Michigansk8er
10-31-2004, 12:19 PM
They finally posted the Flight info (and schedule) for the Adult Buckeye next weekend. I think I'm in the biggest flight. Way it always goes.

http://www.skatecincinnati.org/Competition/2004CompetitorSchedule.htm

Michigansk8er
10-31-2004, 12:22 PM
Here's a link to the schedule:

http://www.skatecincinnati.org/Competition/2004CompetitionSchedule.htm

jazzpants
10-31-2004, 02:21 PM
And it looks like sk8er1964 will be there too, according to the schedule... ;)

Michigansk8er
10-31-2004, 05:32 PM

Yep. We are riding down together!

Elsy2
10-31-2004, 11:13 PM
Can't wait to see you all! I know, I should have entered something......but I will be there cheering you all on, and I am the "designated" coach for a friend.

It will be a fun day!

sk8er1964
11-01-2004, 10:04 AM

Yep - me too. Should be a good time.

This is Michigansk8er's first competition since her surgery - yeah! 8-) 8-) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

SDFanatic
11-01-2004, 03:51 PM
I'll be heading down there also to cheer everyone on, I haven't had a lot of ice time to practice, nor a coach to work with, so it will be a while before I enter one.

See ya down there!

Steven

sk8er1964
11-01-2004, 04:08 PM
Cool, Steven - see ya there. I certainly had great luck in the last competition you watched (Mids)! 8-)

pennybeagle
11-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Hmm. I have an event at 9:40, then the second one at 1:05, and then I test my freestyle program at 5:10. This looks to be a long day. My only wish is that I were able to skate a program clean in practice! (Although I managed to get through a program today that only had ONE two-footed jump and ONE wonky spin...which is better than last week, when the average was four mistakes per program!) Hope that everyone else's practices are going better, and hope mine catch up sooner than later!

Elsy2
11-02-2004, 04:04 PM
I believe they ran a public session on the other rink during the Buckeye last year. I'm going to take my skates just in case I get the urge......

sk8er1964
11-02-2004, 04:29 PM
Hmm. I have an event at 9:40, then the second one at 1:05, and then I test my freestyle program at 5:10. This looks to be a long day. My only wish is that I were able to skate a program clean in practice! (Although I managed to get through a program today that only had ONE two-footed jump and ONE wonky spin...which is better than last week, when the average was four mistakes per program!) Hope that everyone else's practices are going better, and hope mine catch up sooner than later!

You'll be fine, pennybeagle. PM me with your name and we'll cheer you on!

(PS - it's been so busy at the rink lately that I have not been able to run a complete program, with all the elements, in about two weeks. :evil: )

Michigansk8er
11-02-2004, 07:42 PM
I believe they ran a public session on the other rink during the Buckeye last year. I'm going to take my skates just in case I get the urge......

Hey, maybe we will get a chance to play around a bit!!!! Then again, we have to watch everyone too. Sk8er1964's pairs debut!!!!

Beccapoo2003
11-02-2004, 07:48 PM
To all my skating buddies.....HAVE FUN!!!
Becca from Alabama

Michigansk8er
11-02-2004, 08:08 PM
To all my skating buddies.....HAVE FUN!!!
Becca from Alabama

My skating really stinks at the moment.............so I plan to have my fun off of the ice!!!!!! It's going to be a great time. Wanna come up and do my spins for me? I think my camel is out wandering around the desert somewhere.

Elsy2
11-03-2004, 09:02 AM
I just called SportsPlus, and there will be no public session Saturday afternoon. There will be one from 6 to 10 p.m. (wow, that's a long one), but we will be focusing on Happy Hour by that time!

Pennybeagle and Michigansk8er......I think you are competing together in Silver Spins at 9:40?

pennybeagle
11-03-2004, 09:59 PM
There are two ice surfaces at Sports Plus. One of them is (obviously) being used for the competition. Now, I don't have all the inside info, but I think that Queen City FSC is running their club freestyle session during the competition (unfortunately I am not a member). There is also a Learn To Skate class that's going to run some time in there. I would also bet that they will have some hockey sessions, since they always seem to on Saturday.

There is also no evening public session on Friday, November 5th, the last time I checked.

There is another skating rink about 5 minutes from Sports Plus called Northland. That's a single ice surface, and it's an older facility, but they might have a public session or a freestyle session.

One final thing about Sports Plus: Although the floor is covered with skate-friendly padding, there is a lot of gum stuck to it. Better bring a yoga mat to stretch on. ALSO, many of the events will require you to walk on bare concrete, under the bleachers, so that you can get to the entry/exit door to the ice. BRING YOUR SKATE GUARDS!!! (If you forget them, I think the pro shop will be open, or you can borrow some from someone else, I suppose).

Thanks for all the encouragement! I'm more nervous about the fact that I'm testing the Silver FS after the competition. I will need to pass that before January if I plan to compete silver at Nationals. I was on my way to doing a fairly good run-through today and I almost crashed into a small skater who skated right at me while I was in the middle of my spiral sequence. Then, I managed to miss everything else in the program :evil: Oh well. It's early in the season, right??

Michigansk8er
11-07-2004, 02:50 PM
I'm back from Buckeye. Had a terrific time seeing everyone. Sk8er1964 did a great job on her pairs debut...............and won all of her other events!!!!!!! Pennybeagle has some TERRIFIC spins, and a lovely freestyle program!!!!! (How'd the test session go???).

My skate was pathetic.............but my warm-up went well. Isn't that just the way it goes sometimes? Still, I had a lot of encouragement, which was wonderful. Sk8er1964 made a banner and gave me one of her medals. Elsy2 & Steven were there to cheer us on.

I hope this competition can grow. It's small right now...............but they are hoping to give it another go next year.

pennybeagle
11-07-2004, 08:13 PM
I had a good time at the competition, and it was great to meet fellow skaters from this board! :)

I was a little disappointed in my freestyle program...I landed as many jumps on my butt as I did clean on one foot. Oh well. I figure I have four or five months to work on it before nationals...which I will be able to compete as a silver skater because I PASSED the test !! :D
I think the judges were being nice. I missed four elements that I counted (combination jump--fell on the second jump, combination spin--not enough rotations on the first spin, flip jump--missed toe pick and never left the ice, jump sequence--fell on the second jump)...but they only made me re-skate the combination jump and the flip. Coach said I got an early Christmas present. Don't care, though--I will take it!

Now, if I can just figure out how to stay on my feet on off my bottom when people are looking...

Mrs Redboots
11-08-2004, 05:30 AM
Pennybeagle, congratulations on passing your Silver test! Michigansk8er, you're a champion just being there, it being your first competition since your operation. Sk8er1964, I do hope your pairs partner didn't drop you (since he's the only man who's ever succeeded in lifting me, I don't suppose he did!), and congratulations on your medals.

Congratulations to all who were there. YOu're all champions!

skaternum
11-08-2004, 06:53 AM
Congrats on just getting out there and skating in front of judges. There are so many skaters who don't have the guts to do it!

Are results posted anywhere?

Elsy2
11-08-2004, 08:32 AM
Pennybeagle,

We were so worried about you! We overheard that someone broke their wrist, and that fall you took looked like you landed on your wrist. We thought for sure they were talking about you!

Turns out the conversation was about someone else entirely, and not someone at the Buckeye.....Whew!

Even though you had a few falls, your skating was lovely, and we all think you will do just fine and be very competitive at the Silver level. Congrats on passing the test!

Congrats to Michigansk8er for reaching her goal of competing again! I think she has the competition bug now, and a fun interpretive program is in her future.

Always a pleasure to see Sk8er1964, who had a most beautiful axel, and a good attempt at her 2/loop - she stood up on it, yeah! Keep working on that "spinny-thingy"..........(death spiral). The pairs program was great fun to see!

Glad you could join us Steven! Pleasure to meet you.

This was a fun competition and I highly recommend it for next year.

Mel On Ice
11-08-2004, 01:15 PM
I"m so happy for all of you. Leslie, you did it!

sk8er1964
11-08-2004, 04:29 PM
I had a really great time at the Buckeye - a great bunch of people. Very friendly, they let me skate over and over and over without booing me off the ice :P and they pointed us in the direction of a really good brew pub after the event was all done (and even joined us there). What more can you ask? :halo:

Pennybeagle - you aren't messing around with that axel of yours! Even if you did fall, there was no hesitation going into it - which was great to see! Congrats on passing the test.

It was nice to see Elsy2 again - can't believe it's been over two years. And Michigansk8er back on ice in competition! Woo hoo! :mrgreen:

Oh, the pairs thing was rather fun - it sure is different competing with someone else than it is by yourself. Kind of less nerve racking. Even if some of the fans couldn't recognize the elements (spinny-thingy my foot) :evil: :lol: ;)

Elsy2
11-08-2004, 08:27 PM
sK8er1964.....ya know I was just having some sort of brainfart when I couldn't come up with the correct name for death spiral :?? This happens alot lately! :frus:

sk8er1964
11-09-2004, 11:19 AM
sK8er1964.....ya know I was just having some sort of brainfart when I couldn't come up with the correct name for death spiral :?? This happens alot lately! :frus:

Ahh, Elsy2 - I was just teasing you. Sorry if I sounded like I was complaining - I wasn't. :oops: My partner and I call our faux split-twist the twist thingy, so you are not alone.

Elsy2
11-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Not to worry, I know you were teasing! I am going to forever after call your death spiral the spiny thingy.......... :lol: There are some other pairs terminology that we use around here that I will share with you privately too!