View Full Version : Adult pre-bronze freestyle test

DancinDiva
10-29-2004, 08:16 PM
My coach and I are starting to work on my APB freestyle test and we're a little unsure about something. Do I have to skate all the elements in the order they are listed in, or can I mix them up? Do I do each element separately and then come to a stop before doing the next one, or do I put them in a routine and link the moves using crossovers and such? The rulebook isn't totally clear on any of this, and my coach has never put a student through the adult tests before so he isn't entirely sure, either. I'd appreciate any help that you can give me!

daisies
10-29-2004, 08:36 PM
Hello! You don't need to do the elements in order, especially since the order is different in the rulebook than it is on the judging sheet! You can basically do it however you want -- you could link them together in a routine, but that's an awful lot of work for no reason. You basically only need to do one element at a time, and you could just skate around to set up for each element individually. Or you could come to a stop. It's up to you! Good luck!

DancinDiva
10-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Thanks! We already put together a little routine, its nothing more than the elements linked by backward and foward crossovers. I actually find that I do better by doing them in a routine than I do when I perform each element individually. Its a very simple routine that we put together in about five minutes, but then a friend of mine who happens to be taking her tests to be a judge, asked me if it was allowable to do the elements in a routine. So that's what got me all nervous, because if a judge isn't sure its allowable, then I probably shouldn't do it, right?

daisies
10-29-2004, 09:07 PM
I'm a judge and would have no problem with it. It's just an elements test, so it isn't meant to be a routine -- and obviously there is no music -- but I don't see anything wrong with it.

A lot of times the judge-in-charge will talk to you right before you begin your test, and he/she will ask you if you know what the elements are. At that point you can say, yes, I am doing a "mini-routine" with them ... and if he/she has a problem with that, he/she will say so. In which case, you can just go do the elements individually.

The adult pre-bronze test is an encouragement test. I don't think a judge will (or should) say anything if you want to do a little routine.

skaternum
10-29-2004, 09:12 PM
All true, but ... you should always be prepared for the fact that the judge in charge will run the test the way he/she wants to. You might want to have your coach talk to the test chair of your club (an infinitely safer way to get info about your club's test session than to ask a bunch of skaters scattered around the globe) and find out what the norm is at your rink. If no adults have ever tested pre-bronze in your club, find out what the pre-preliminary tests are like. They're often run the same way.

Good luck!!

dbny
10-29-2004, 09:20 PM
From my experience, the adult track tests are run the same way the standard track are. This means that you should do the moves in the order in which they appear in the rule book (students have been corrected by judges on that account). You should also stop at the end of each move and look towards the judge to be sure she/he is ready for you to go on to the next move. On the four edge patterns, skate the first one, wait for the judge, then skate the next one on the same line going back the way you came. Some of the moves must be started from a standstill (the four edge patterns and the alt threes, for example) and I would not put them in a routine for that reason. I've seen some students do fancy exits from patterns, but IMO, this just looks ridiculous. Most judges will know from your first strokes in any move whether it is going to be strong or not, and if it is strong, will most likely be writing on your test sheet while you are finishing up the move.

Having said all that, there is considerable variation in the way test sessions are run from arena to arena and across the country.

tazsk8s
10-29-2004, 10:17 PM
I took this test not long after it came out. I was one of the first to take it in my former club. The rulebook said elements only, so that's how my coach and I prepared for it, elements only with a brief stop between each one, like the pre-preliminary FS. When I got my test sheet back, I had passed, but the judge had commented "Too many scratchy stops in program." Seems that she had been expecting a program (no music, of course). I've talked to a number of adult skaters who have tested with this club since then and they still expect a program, even though it's not specified that way in the rulebook. So far as I know they're the only club in the area like this, and it's even stranger because they do the pre-preliminary FS the "regular" way.

DancinDiva
10-29-2004, 10:30 PM
From my experience, the adult track tests are run the same way the standard track are. This means that you should do the moves in the order in which they appear in the rule book (students have been corrected by judges on that account). You should also stop at the end of each move and look towards the judge to be sure she/he is ready for you to go on to the next move. On the four edge patterns, skate the first one, wait for the judge, then skate the next one on the same line going back the way you came. Some of the moves must be started from a standstill (the four edge patterns and the alt threes, for example) and I would not put them in a routine for that reason. I've seen some students do fancy exits from patterns, but IMO, this just looks ridiculous. Most judges will know from your first strokes in any move whether it is going to be strong or not, and if it is strong, will most likely be writing on your test sheet while you are finishing up the move.

Having said all that, there is considerable variation in the way test sessions are run from arena to arena and across the country.

Yes, but those moves you're talking about are on the MOVES test, I was only wondering about the freestlye test. I always practice the moves with a stop between all elements.

jenlyon60
10-29-2004, 10:55 PM
At my club, the judges usually run the APB FS test like the Pre-Prelim FS, and it's usually done as a single-judge test.

The skater will be told, before s/he starts, who their judge is, and the judge will tell the skater which elements to do.

skaternum
10-30-2004, 08:20 AM
In other words, to rudely reference back to my own post, you need to find out how it's done at your club, since there are multiple ways it can be done!

dbny
10-30-2004, 12:13 PM
Yes, but those moves you're talking about are on the MOVES test, I was only wondering about the freestlye test. I always practice the moves with a stop between all elements.

:oops: I hope I'm not losing my mind. That's the second post I mis-read last night. Sorry for the info you didn't need.

backspin
10-30-2004, 04:40 PM
My club often puts 2 or 3 people on the ice at one time, for these tests that only require one judge. If your club does that, make sure your "program" can be done in a limited amount of space--1/3 of the ice.

When I tested this the judge wanted me to come back to her in between each element, & she told me what to do next.

daisies
10-30-2004, 04:55 PM
Backspin has a good point ... you may not get the whole ice for your test and you will have to look out for other people also testing (and they should look out for you). So a routine might not be the best idea in that regard.

The good thing about doing each element separately is you get to rest between each!

daisies
10-30-2004, 04:56 PM
At my club, the judges usually run the APB FS test like the Pre-Prelim FS, and it's usually done as a single-judge test.

Just FYI, it can only be a single judge if that judge is Silver-Test level or higher. A Bronze-Test-level judge can't single-panel a test. So it will all depend on who is judging that day! :)

2salch0w
10-31-2004, 07:45 AM
On my pre-Bronze I did ask how they wanted me to do it and they didn't seem to really care. So I told them I would just link them all together and that worked out fine.

I don't recommend stopping after each one. That could break your flow/momentum, requires additional energy to start up again each time, and probably isn't how you practice. But don't get too concerned with making a mini-routine out of it. I just skated plainly into the next element each time to get to my usual setup. For example, I started with the jumps and did a loop jump, held the landing, stepped forward and did a crossover, mohawk to backwards and set the waltz jump.

I think you want to keep moving when you're nervous, and once you get some speed and find your edges, don't stop and have to start all over again.

Tim

vintagefreak
11-01-2004, 11:04 AM
I'm new and might as well jump in. The test is skated as individual elements but according to my coach, the judges like to see connecting movements between elements but they aren't mandatory. I'd practice running though all the elements as if they were a compulsory program (basically, a program without music). Keep practicing the elements in a certain order so you have a nice flow and they get to be very routine. Do them in the order your coach advises. I did mine this way and I passed:

Forward crossovers (in a large circle and I think the minimum number of xovers is 4 but I'm not absolutely certain). Doing more than minimum is great. , backward crossovers (same deal), spiral (or lunge), 2 different jumps (I did a waltz jump first, then a loop but you can do your choice and it can be either half or full revolution), a 2 foot spin ( 3 revolutions or more) and a one foot spin (upright, 3 revolutions or more) . I don't believe it matters which order you do all these elements but I would work them out logically if your coach doesn't have a preference. It makes a bit of sense, since you don't get lots of warmup time, to do the crossovers first and the spiral or lunge and then either the jumps or spins because you'll be loosened up and less nervous by the time the crossovers are finished. Take your time. It is my understanding you have as much time as you need. Do the element and finish with a nice landing position and then look at the judges to make sure they're not writing when you proceed to your next element. Just a glance will do. You don't want them to miss your next element, so this is why you should look or you might have to reskate certain things they missed. Don't worry if you fall, they'll allow for a reskate.

I've always been instructed to go up to the judges when you first enter the ice. Skate on up with confidence and introduce yourself with a smile and they'll tell you how to proceed. I hear that sometimes they ask for a skater to come back to them after each element, but I don't think this is all that common. After you're finished with the elements, I'd go over to them again and they'll tell you if you have to reskate anything. Make sure to smile and thank them. They'll appreciate your warmth.

Additionally, take your time! Breathe! You can stop and regroup between elements so that you calm down. Catch your breath if you have to. Smile all through the test if possible because it will help keep you relaxed. You're doing this for you and always focus on that. Good luck! ~AF

vintagefreak
11-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Good reference:

http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_rules/singles_fs_test_elements_adult.htm

~AF

Mel On Ice
11-01-2004, 12:33 PM
there are people in this sport I trust completely to provide the best information, and Don Korte is one of them.

jenlyon60
11-01-2004, 01:19 PM
The most important recommendation I know of (other than "read the rulebook" ... you'd be surprised how many people don't and trust what they get told through the grapevine) is

Find a test session at your club or a nearby club and go and watch. Especially if they are having one or more people test Adult Pre-Bronze or Adult Bronze or whatever.

Every club runs test sessions somewhat differently, depending on factors such as availability of ice time, availability of judges of the right level, etc.

The club I belong to is one of the largest USFS clubs, and for our Pre-Pre/Adult Pre-Bronze MIF tests, our test chair usually uses Silver judges or higher, and puts up to 6 testers out on the ice at one time (1 per judge when using Silver/Gold judges).

I'm new and might as well jump in. The test is skated as individual elements but according to my coach, the judges like to see connecting movements between elements but they aren't mandatory. I'd practice running though all the elements as if they were a compulsory program (basically, a program without music). Keep practicing the elements in a certain order so you have a nice flow and they get to be very routine. Do them in the order your coach advises. I did mine this way and I passed:

Forward crossovers (in a large circle and I think the minimum number of xovers is 4 but I'm not absolutely certain). Doing more than minimum is great. , backward crossovers (same deal), spiral (or lunge), 2 different jumps (I did a waltz jump first, then a loop but you can do your choice and it can be either half or full revolution), a 2 foot spin ( 3 revolutions or more) and a one foot spin (upright, 3 revolutions or more) . I don't believe it matters which order you do all these elements but I would work them out logically if your coach doesn't have a preference. It makes a bit of sense, since you don't get lots of warmup time, to do the crossovers first and the spiral or lunge and then either the jumps or spins because you'll be loosened up and less nervous by the time the crossovers are finished. Take your time. It is my understanding you have as much time as you need. Do the element and finish with a nice landing position and then look at the judges to make sure they're not writing when you proceed to your next element. Just a glance will do. You don't want them to miss your next element, so this is why you should look or you might have to reskate certain things they missed. Don't worry if you fall, they'll allow for a reskate.

I've always been instructed to go up to the judges when you first enter the ice. Skate on up with confidence and introduce yourself with a smile and they'll tell you how to proceed. I hear that sometimes they ask for a skater to come back to them after each element, but I don't think this is all that common. After you're finished with the elements, I'd go over to them again and they'll tell you if you have to reskate anything. Make sure to smile and thank them. They'll appreciate your warmth.

Additionally, take your time! Breathe! You can stop and regroup between elements so that you calm down. Catch your breath if you have to. Smile all through the test if possible because it will help keep you relaxed. You're doing this for you and always focus on that. Good luck! ~AF