View Full Version : Adult Nationals

Michigansk8er
10-29-2004, 04:04 PM
I was reading the report from this year's Governing Council, and read that non-US citizens can compete at AN if they apply by January 1. I believe this is for non-qualifying events. Does anyone know anything about this?

skaternum
10-29-2004, 04:31 PM
No, this applies to [/i]all[/i] events at AN. The logic is that the deadline for adult championships should be relatively the same as that faced by the "kids" and their championships. Not stated well, but put another way:

Standard track qualifying starts in October-ish, and the deadline for non-citizens is July, I think (about 3 months before).

Adult track stuff is mid-April, and the deadline for non-citizens if January (about 3 months before).

So the deadline is relative to when the event is.

Michigansk8er
10-29-2004, 04:34 PM
OK, then I guess it really would be non-qualifying. There would have to be an earlier date for sectionals qualifying events. Thanks!

daisies
10-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Here's everything you need to know on the subject:

http://www.usfsa.org/Shell.asp?cat=5&id=46&sid=25856

skaternum
10-29-2004, 05:22 PM
As far as I know there isn't any earlier date for qualifying events at adult sectionals, but that's a good question for Maggie. It isn't covered in the FAQ, and the rule change from last year's GC doesn't mention qualifying sectional events. Hmmm...

Michigansk8er
10-29-2004, 05:30 PM
OK. I've got it. I was thinking this might mean it was open to non-citizens but under a different rule..........such as just apply by January 1.........not live here for a certain amount of time, etc. (or at least that was part of the criteria for the non-citizen rule when our exchange student applied). Thanks! In the FAQs, it sounds like the January 1 rule applies to sectionals too.

daisies
10-29-2004, 05:32 PM
The FAQ does address Sectionals:

<<<A: A non-U.S. citizen application to compete is required for the championship events only at adult sectionals and for all events at the U.S. Adult Championships. If you have completed the non-U.S. citizen application to compete for a championship event at adult sectionals, you do not need to fill out a separate one for the U.S. Adult Championships. >>>

The way I read it, you only have to fill out a non-citizen form for sectionals if you are entering the qualifying events, and it's due by Jan. 1. If you are entering open events only at sectionals, the form's not needed.

For AN, though, the form is needed regardless of what you enter. HTHS!

skaternum
10-29-2004, 09:19 PM
I assume the deadline for the form for qualifying sectionals is January 1st, but I've learned never to assume anything with USFSA. :) The literalist in me knows that it only says "if you've filled one out for sectionals." It doesn't say when you must have done so.