View Full Version : checklisting elements in skating

Mel On Ice
10-29-2004, 02:07 PM
In another thread, it was discussed the check list method of skating and I was wondering what everyone's opinion of it was?

I've done the basic skills program and adult track for USFSA; and the ISI track, progressing slow but steady.

What's been interesting to me is how uptight I get over one element at every stage. I squeak by on that element to pass the test, then suddenly, I have NO problems with that element. This happened with the back edges in fs1, the one foot in fs2, the change foot in fs3, loop in bronze free, etc.

Do you think actually passing the standard on that element clears the stumbling block from you mentally, and then you are finally able to relax? I'm still waiting for the stumbling block to clear for the sit spin, however.

Kristin
10-29-2004, 02:21 PM
Hi Mel! I've never been a big fan of the checklist method for skating. I like to work on a wide range of elements all at the same time. I think skating does build on itself, but sometimes working on lots of stuff instead of just one thing at a time helps you learn faster.

My goal was always to be the best-rounded adult skater I could be so I worked on freestyle, Dance, Moves, Figures, and Synchro. I would work on Figures in order to get my 3-turns good enough to test for the Prelim & Pre-juv moves. This ploy worked. In doing those figures, even now, I look at the video of my pre-juv test and the turns were placed correctly, and the edges had good control.

Similarly, jumping out of backspins helped me learn the loop. Pivots helped me learn the flip. Dance helped my stroking for Pre-juv moves, and the perimeter stroking moves helped me place my dances better. Dance helped with Synchro in regards to being more comfortable hanging on to someone while skating. And so on.

I think I wouldn't have gotten as far as I have if I hadn't worked on all these things at once.

::Cheers!::
Kristin

doubletoe
10-29-2004, 05:39 PM
What's been interesting to me is how uptight I get over one element at every stage. I squeak by on that element to pass the test, then suddenly, I have NO problems with that element. This happened with the back edges in fs1, the one foot in fs2, the change foot in fs3, loop in bronze free, etc.

Do you think actually passing the standard on that element clears the stumbling block from you mentally, and then you are finally able to relax? I'm still waiting for the stumbling block to clear for the sit spin, however.

Yep! I've had the same experience! I also find that my confidence level--and subsequent performance--go up once I've managed to land a problem jump in competition.

vintagefreak
11-01-2004, 11:57 AM
I've taken the approach that testing is a reward for my hard work and practice but not really just about checking things off the "can do" list. There is always room for improvement. I passed my prebronze fs with an "ok" scatch spin but I still work on it every day because I think it stinks. It has improved significantly over the past several months and is much better than when I tested for it, but I won't ever be saying I can check that off my list. Never, because I know how it varies from day to day. One day it makes me happy, the next I could cry. Passing the test probably gives you more confidence and less anxiety which probably helps you improve, so I think your way on that. But I always think of my skills as needing constant refinement.

I'd love to check those moves in the field off my list and not look back though!
~AF