View Full Version : Question for pairs skaters

sk8er1964
10-26-2004, 08:16 PM
Ladies - does pair skating put more stress on your lower back than singles? I'm doing a bit of pairs right now (nothing fancy - throw loop and faux split-twist) and I am experiencing lower back achiness. I also started an off-ice weight training program about 3 weeks before I started trying pairs, so it could be that. I'd like to isolate the problem, though, so that if it's the weights I can adjust them.

I'm enjoying my first foray into pairs - we'll compete in a week and 1/2 at the Buckeye. Should be fun.

skaternum
10-26-2004, 08:40 PM
I can only speak for myself, but I do find that pairs puts more stress on my lower back. Worst offenders are the throws, pair spins, and death spirals.

Come to the New Years Invitational in VA in February!!

NoVa Sk8r
10-26-2004, 08:41 PM
Welcome to the wacky world of adult pair skating!!!

A strong back is essential for pairs (for both partners).
My pair partner (loopLoop) often practices strengthening her back on the ballet bar before we do any off-ice lifts and such. She can provide more details; I'm just the dumb lug who gets to lift her. 8-)

Mrs Redboots
10-27-2004, 07:27 AM
We don't do much in the way of lifts (a very manky thrown 3-jump is as good as it gets!), and our so-called "pairs" elements is mainly a pivot-spiral. However, we have our couples lesson on a Sunday, mostly in dance with one or two pairs elements thrown in, and I have noticed my back tends to ache more then than after my solo lesson. I assumed that was because I have often done very little on the Saturday - we often have a rest-day then - but since this question has been raised, I wonder.....

LoopLoop
10-27-2004, 08:16 AM
Hmmm... I think it might be the combination of your new weight-training program AND the pair skating. My back doesn't mind doing pairs at all.

I lift weights twice a week and do pilates once a week, and I think due to those my back is pretty strong, as are my abs, which really help to support the lower back muscles. When you're practicing the throw loop, think of activating your abs to stay strong on the landing rather than taking the impact in your back.

pinkjellybean
10-27-2004, 08:58 AM
You're probably are feeling it in your back if you're getting started in pairs skating... I no longer skate pairs but my lower back is normally kind of sore, it does take a beating but it should get better...

I skated pairs for quite a while and you should develop pretty strong back muscles, just for lifts alone, never mind death spirals and the pounding you take on throws... your back pain is probably because of the skating and weight training but it's a good thing you're doing training off the ice, that should help you get stronger and decrease pain in your back.... have you started death spirals? Those can really hurt your side when you start.

flo
10-27-2004, 10:34 AM
Hi,
I did notice this with the throws. They are much higher than the similar jump, and the landing from that height can put an added strain on the back. With the lifts I did build up a nice strong dancer's back, and loved to wear the low back leotards!

sk8er1964
10-27-2004, 04:45 PM
Thanks everyone. I won't be too concerned as of yet, unless it progresses into pain.

I did really notice the height issue on the throw jumps. It was like - ok, I'm ready to land....where's the ice....bam! And then came the fall.... Took me quite a few to get used to it, and I still miss sometimes. You sure do need a lot more knee bend on the landing, too, then in a regular jump.

As for the ab/back thing, I can see a problem here with me too. My abs are not the strongest muscle group in my body - core strength is one of the reasons I started an off-ice program.

We are doing a death spiral, but to be honest I assume it's pretty lousy. I haven't seen it yet, of course, but will get the competition tape. No lifts, though. I'm an, ummm, larger than average woman and I was too afraid to even attempt one. Tominina's fall at Skate America certainly doesn't encourage me to want to try one either!

skaternum - one of these years I'll get to the New Year's comp. Unfortunately, my son's hockey budget pretty much guarantees I won't be doing anything requiring an airplane ticket. Mids are still up in the air, as is AN, although I do really want to go.

As for my pairs partner, he has another woman. Sigh. I'm just a replacement because she can't do this competition. I thought it would be a fun thing to try (and it has been :D ). Since there's not a whole lot of other guys around here that are anywhere near my level, and who aren't already doing pairs, I doubt it will become a full time pursuit. At least he gets to do an axel and a double sal in this program, since we have to skate Gold because of me 8-) .

LoopLoop
10-28-2004, 08:39 AM
No lifts, though. I'm an, ummm, larger than average woman and I was too afraid to even attempt one.
Size doesn't necessarily matter! Skaternum and I are both taller than average; she's 5'6" and I'm 5'7" and our partners lift us! Granted that the on-ice lifts aren't overheads, but the lifts are as much technique and timing as strength. Have you done any off-ice?

As for my pairs partner, he has another woman. Sigh. I'm just a replacement because she can't do this competition.
We know who he is! More than one other woman, isn't it? It used to be one in every country, now he's getting them in multiple states too. :lol:

sk8er1964
10-28-2004, 12:17 PM
We know who he is! More than one other woman, isn't it? It used to be one in every country, now he's getting them in multiple states too. :lol:

Yep! :lol:

Mrs Redboots
10-29-2004, 08:48 AM
Size doesn't necessarily matter! Skaternum and I are both taller than average; she's 5'6" and I'm 5'7" and our partners lift us! Granted that the on-ice lifts aren't overheads, but the lifts are as much technique and timing as strength. Have you done any off-ice?Yes, but judging by the photos I've seen of Skaternum, she's beautifully slender. I don't know whether I've seen photos of you, but I'm sure you are, too. I, meanwhile, am 5'8" and currently weigh about 35 lbs more than my husband does..... (this number is decreasing by about 1 lb per week, but then he complains I'm starving him and loses weight even faster, even though he's not trying! Don't you hate men's metabolisms?!)

We know who he is! More than one other woman, isn't it? It used to be one in every country, now he's getting them in multiple states too. :lol:Now he can lift me - and has! Off-ice, mind, and we'd both had a few drinks at the time....

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-02-2004, 05:56 PM
hmm.. i think it depends on what level your in and how old you are... i am young and just started pairs.... i have a but of back pain but its mosly knee pain... throws put alot of pressure on your knees ..and death spirels dont hurt my back... the momentum of you spinning kinda puts less pressure on your back... well thats how i feel i think every one is different...

NoVa Sk8r
11-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Ugh, Loops is unfairly thin. Makes me want to fast! :P

Skaternum--she's *always* lookin' good! 8-)

Yes, but judging by the photos I've seen of Skaternum, she's beautifully slender. I don't know whether I've seen photos of you, but I'm sure you are, too.

skaternum
11-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Skaternum--she's *always* lookin' good! :oops: <blush> You're too kind.

Actually, I've been thinking of gaining about 10 pounds just to mess with David's mind. "Why, no. I haven't lost weight. Maybe you're getting weak. Are you sick? You should see a doctor about this unexplained weakness." :twisted:

By the way, the short documentary film about adult pairs skating (made by one of my co-workers and featuring yours truly) was recently accepted into another film festival. Time to put on my fur coat and dark glasses and avoid the paparzzi! 8-)

NoVa Sk8r
11-03-2004, 09:37 AM
NO! David doesn't need any more distractions! ;)

Hmm, I think you must have taught Loops this trick already...

:oops: <blush> You're too kind.

Actually, I've been thinking of gaining about 10 pounds just to mess with David's mind. "Why, no. I haven't lost weight. Maybe you're getting weak. Are you sick? You should see a doctor about this unexplained weakness." :twisted:

By the way, the short documentary film about adult pairs skating (made by one of my co-workers and featuring yours truly) was recently accepted into another film festival. Time to put on my fur coat and dark glasses and avoid the paparzzi! 8-)

LoopLoop
11-03-2004, 10:03 AM
NO! David doesn't need any more distractions! ;)

Hmm, I think you must have taught Loops this trick already...

Ummm... no comment. :twisted:
Just remember where my blades are when I'm in the air!

NoVa Sk8r
11-03-2004, 10:26 AM
Um, I meant that skaternum must have been teaching you about messing with my mind.

Your blades in the air? Not cool. They've already cut my upper left thigh. :evil:
YOU should remember that I am *supposed to* catch you in the split twist. :twisted:

[Isn't pair skating fun?!]

Ummm... no comment. :twisted:
Just remember where my blades are when I'm in the air!

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-04-2004, 05:43 PM
lol? are u guys doing pairs together>?

NoVa Sk8r
11-04-2004, 06:22 PM
<sigh> yes...

Our training is turning into an R-rated verbal fight. But I just think it adds more zest and tension to our skating and choreography! :P

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-04-2004, 06:49 PM
lol cool! it sounds like u 2 have been doing it for a long time... i just started beging of summer and were doing really good! i think lol double twist overhead lifts... but we still dont act like a pair team yet

NoVa Sk8r
11-04-2004, 06:56 PM
Actually, we've only been taking pairs lessons since early February.

It all started from last year's holiday show...

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-04-2004, 07:01 PM
sweet! thats cool!

tripletoesrule
11-05-2004, 12:36 AM
I was a competitive pairs skater last season, and yes my lower back is completely messed up. On my 12thish vertebrae i now have a deformity from the hard landings and falls. My vertebrae used to be rectangular like it's supposed to be, but now it's a triangle... not too good and often i find it hard to get out of bed in the morning... sadly because i'm only 17 and LOVE PAIRS!

Mrs Redboots
11-05-2004, 05:32 AM
but we still dont act like a pair team yetDoes that mean you don't fight? ;)

I do dance and artistic pairs with my husband, and we are apt to fight like cat and dog while doing it. But all the best teams fight, it's a well-known fact.....

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-05-2004, 06:09 AM
lol,,,, umm kinda. im new and hes done it for like 2 years b4 me and im new, but im learning fast, but he pushes me arround like were a tEAM rite?

skaternum
11-05-2004, 08:45 AM
Does that mean you don't fight?David & I don't fight. I tell him what he's done wrong. Then I tell him what to do. Then he does it. No need to fight! :lol:

skaternum
11-05-2004, 08:50 AM
lol,,,, umm kinda. im new and hes done it for like 2 years b4 me and im new, but im learning fast, but he pushes me arround like were a tEAM rite?lil-sk8r-chick5,
In case no one has PM'ed you yet ... Just wanted to let you know that the "norm" for posting in these forums is to write in standard English, not IM-speak with lots of abbreviations, etc. You're more likely to get appropriate, interested responses from people if you make an effort to write so that everyone can read it. (And I hope you don't think that I'm picking on you personally. This little reminder gets posted every so often when it comes up. Just ask Justine. :lol: )

Thanks,
skaternum

LoopLoop
11-05-2004, 09:38 AM
David & I don't fight. I tell him what he's done wrong. Then I tell him what to do. Then he does it. No need to fight! :lol:

I'll have to try this one with Stephen. :P

LoopLoop
11-05-2004, 09:39 AM
We are. Sometimes I think people are more entertained by our online bickering than by our skating. :oops:

mskater
11-05-2004, 10:25 AM
"We are. Sometimes I think people are more entertained by our online bickering than by our skating."

-Actually, reading your banter makes watching you skate live much more fun. I remember watching you guys at the Peach and wondering if you were chatting back and forth during your program. :)

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-05-2004, 11:23 AM
David & I don't fight. I tell him what he's done wrong. Then I tell him what to do. Then he does it. No need to fight! :lol:
yea but when i say that he says, well what do u want to do :) and i say something,, then he makes an excuse and says like no my back is hurting :cry: i dont no what to do

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-05-2004, 11:26 AM
lil-sk8r-chick5,
In case no one has PM'ed you yet ... Just wanted to let you know that the "norm" for posting in these forums is to write in standard English, not IM-speak with lots of abbreviations, etc. You're more likely to get appropriate, interested responses from people if you make an effort to write so that everyone can read it. (And I hope you don't think that I'm picking on you personally. This little reminder gets posted every so often when it comes up. Just ask Justine. :lol: )

Thanks,
skaternum

Sorry, so you mean not to wite like this--->you-u, i am-im?????
sorry, :cry:

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-05-2004, 11:27 AM
We are. Sometimes I think people are more entertained by our online bickering than by our skating. :oops:

LOL i dont think so

skaternum
11-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Sorry, so you mean not to wite like this--->you-u, i am-im????? Yes, exactly. While this isn't an English class, thank goodness, anything that helps others (most of whom are not teens) read and understand your messages is desirable -- writing out words, punctuation, capitalization. Every "place" online has a culture, and the culture here isn't into "teenspeak." So do keep posting, because you have some interesting comments. We just want to be able to understand them!

skaternum
11-05-2004, 11:42 AM
Actually, reading your banter makes watching you skate live much more fun. I remember watching you guys at the Peach and wondering if you were chatting back and forth during your program.David & I used to talk all the time while skating, but I find that during a competition, we're both too nervous to think about it. There are a couple of places in any given program where I might offer up a key reminder, but it's usually a single word or phrase, like:
"bend"
"slow down"
"breathe"
"reach"

During practice, we yak a lot while executing our tricks. But often that's me yelling, "LOOK OUT!" as he runs me right into some kid doing a camel spin! :) Did I mention he has issues with spatial relations??

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Yes, exactly. While this isn't an English class, thank goodness, anything that helps others (most of whom are not teens) read and understand your messages is desirable -- writing out words, punctuation, capitalization. Every "place" online has a culture, and the culture here isn't into "teenspeak." So do keep posting, because you have some interesting comments. We just want to be able to understand them!

sorry.....

Mrs Redboots
11-05-2004, 12:08 PM
David & I don't fight. I tell him what he's done wrong. Then I tell him what to do. Then he does it. No need to fight! :lol:You mean, he believes you? :o Oo-er, how do you do that??

Actually, when we are going through something you'll hear me use a code-word to remind Husband of what comes next ("Foxtrot" usually means "our cross-roll sequence in Foxtrot hold", for instance). And in our Waltzing Cat sequence, I tend to sing the first bit, which goes like this: "Le-eft and right, and swing, and cha-as-se and you-do-a-3-turn; le-ft and right, and swing, and step and step, and mohawk and edge. Crossover, crossover, crossover....." at which point we go into a pivot spiral and I have to concentrate on getting my free leg up!

NoVa Sk8r
11-05-2004, 02:30 PM
Um, yeah, I was a nervous wreck at Peach--shaking like a leaf. So Loops told me during our spiral sequence (the "30-second spiral sequence" :) ) to calm down. I think I was rattled after I almost (notice it's 'almost'!) dropped her during an axel lift. I was the calm one in Philly.

During the program, I usually say, "Oh ,dear!" or "Touch down" or "Down ... Up" (which now makes no sense at all during our loop lift but old habits die hard) or "No, it's good" or "Are you OK?"
Our telepathy is getting stronger each day, so you won't be seeing us mouthing any words soon! Well, lots of off ice mouthing (but that's usually not skating related! ;) )

"We are. Sometimes I think people are more entertained by our online bickering than by our skating."

-Actually, reading your banter makes watching you skate live much more fun. I remember watching you guys at the Peach and wondering if you were chatting back and forth during your program. :)

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-05-2004, 06:06 PM
nova skater do you mind if i ask you a few questions? if you dont want to you dont have to.. lol

1) what lifts can you do?
2) are you working or landing double twist?
3)what level are you in?

thanks- lil-sk8r-5

NoVa Sk8r
11-05-2004, 07:03 PM
1) On ice, we can do loop lift (1 or 2 revs, depending on how nauseous I want to make Loops), axel lift (usually 2 revs, but at one point when I was confident and strong and eating on a normal basis, we were doing 3 revs--I called it our triple axel lift 8-) ), and a split twist lift (this comes and goes like dust in the wind). We also do a stag lift or attitude lift. I basically pick Loops up from her waist and left leg--it's kinda like a wrapped dance lift.

Off ice, we have an easy platter lift. The press lift is pretty good--depending on how much sleep I get and how badly I've hurt myself at the gym. :P Our wrist technique on this element is, to paraphrase John Zimmerman, bizarre and strange. But hey, it works. Flo showed us (in the lobby of the Renaissance Hotel in Philly) how to do a platter/star lift. :bow: We're still a bit scared skateless of this.

2) Double twist? Are you crazy? :P
I think I would need to gain about 20 lbs of muscle and grow about 4 or 5 inches to do this. We've had a few bad landing on the single twist lift on ice. I'm pretty secure in saying that no other adult pair team would attempt a double twist in competition.

3) Ah. I am technically an adult bronze level skater. But I've been competing in silver level since Jan. '03 (I passed bronze level in April '02). I have been trying (some might say not very hard :evil: ) to pass my silver moves test so I can take the easy (for me) silver freeskate test. I am retarded when it comes to moves. :frus:
As my coach once said, "You can do a flying camel and some brackets, but you can't hold a back inside 3-turn?") What can I say? I've got until jan. 15 to pass these tests to qualify for silver level at adult nationals. I'm not betting on it.
Loops is a bona fide silver level skater (and she has passed her gold moves 8-) ), so we compete in silver pairs (only one member has to be at the named test level; the partner can be one level lower).

nova skater do you mind if i ask you a few questions? if you dont want to you dont have to.. lol

1) what lifts can you do?
2) are you working or landing double twist?
3)what level are you in?

thanks- lil-sk8r-5

NoVa Sk8r
11-05-2004, 08:18 PM
Try all you like. I believe my standard response of "B**ch, please!" will suffice. ;)

(That's OK, folks; Loops has her own retaliatory response!)

I'll have to try this one with Stephen. :PDavid & I don't fight. I tell him what he's done wrong. Then I tell him what to do. Then he does it. No need to fight!

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-06-2004, 08:06 AM
1) On ice, I can do loop lift (1 or 2 revs, depending on how nauseous I want to make Loops), axel lift (usually 2 revs, but at one point when I was confident and strong and eating on a normal basis, we were doing 3 revs--I called it our triple axel lift 8-) ), and a split twist lift (this comes and goes like dust i nthe wind). We also do a stag lift or attitude lift. I basically pick Loops up from her waist and left leg--it;s kinda like a wrapped dance lift.

Off ice, we have an easy platter lift. The press lift is pretty good--depending on how much sleep I get and how badly I've hurt myself at the gym. :P Our wrist technique on this element is, to paraphrase John Zimmerman, bizarre and strange. But hey, it works. Flo showed us (in the lobby of the Renaissance Hotel in Philly) how to do a platter/star lift. :bow: We're still a bit scared skateless of this.

2) Double twist? Are you crazy? :P
I think I would need to gain about 20 lbs of muscle and grow about 4 or 5 inches to do this. We've had a few bad landing on the single twist lift on ice. I'm pretty secure in saying that no other adult pair team would attempt a double twist.

3) Ah. I am technically an adult bronze level skater. But I've been competing in silver level since Jan. '03 (I passed bronze level in April '02). I have been trying (some might say not very hard :evil: ) to pass my silver moves test so I can take the easy (for me) silver freeskate test. I am retarded when it comes to moves. :frus:
As my coach once said, "You can do a flying camel and some brackets, but you can't hold a back inside 3-turn?") What can I say? I've got until jan. 15 to pass these tests to qualify for silver level at adult nationals. I'm not betting on it.
Loops is a bona fide silver level skater (and she has passed her gold moves 8-) ), so we compete in silver pairs (only one member has to be at the named test level; the partner can be one level lower).

oh sweet! i didnt know you were an adult! cool.... thanks for answering my questions!

NoVa Sk8r
11-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Well, I'm sure Loops can/will insert a cheeky remark here. Something akin to, "Well, technically, he is old enough to be considered an adult, but he hardly acts that way."

oh sweet! i didnt know you were an adult! cool.... thanks for answering my questions!

LoopLoop
11-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Well, I'm sure Loops can/will insert a cheeky remark here. Something akin to, "Well, technically, he is old enough to be considered an adult, but he hardly acts that way."

Gee, you saved me the effort! ;) ;)

flo
11-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Hi,
Actually we were crazy enough to try a double twist. We had a solid single with some height, and an overhead harness! The hardest thing was the first try without the harness....interesting 8O . Actually you start preparing for one by doing a singlewith a second split before you get caught. It sets up the timing for the double, and if you don't get the double, then you hae a nice variation on the single.

NoVa Sk8r
11-07-2004, 11:30 AM
Awesome!!!

(I meant attempting it in competition, though.)

Hi,
Actually we were crazy enough to try a double twist. We had a solid single with some height, and an overhead harness! The hardest thing was the first try without the harness....interesting 8O . Actually you start preparing for one by doing a singlewith a second split before you get caught. It sets up the timing for the double, and if you don't get the double, then you hae a nice variation on the single.

jmp123
11-07-2004, 07:12 PM
Awesome!!!

(I meant attempting it in competition, though.)

I believe that Kristi Frank and Mike Patterson completed one in Masters Pairs - 1999? I thought at least one other pair tried it - not sure which year.

NoVa Sk8r
11-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Wow.

Well I certainly *won't* ever be attempting the split double twist.
The thought of Loops giving me a broken nose attempting this ... ugh.

Perhaps Trevor Laak and partner attempted one as well in masters pairs a whiles back?

I believe that Kristi Frank and Mike Patterson completed one in Masters Pairs - 1999? I thought at least one other pair tried it - not sure which year.

mskater
11-08-2004, 08:44 AM
Yep, they did Nova, I was in the audience and remember watching it; was really nice. They also were the only team to attempt (and land) sbs doubles.

flo
11-08-2004, 09:22 AM
We were in the master's event with Kristy and Frank - they had a nice program. We met Trevor and his partner he next year - they were a great pair, and really helpful.

LoopLoop
11-08-2004, 12:54 PM
I saw Trevor and Laurie one year and they were amazing. They did a double twist, side by side doubles, a throw double salchow, and I remember a lift with multiple changes of position which covered the length of the ice.

And Trevor was an adult-start skater, too; his partner wasn't, she'd skated pairs when she was younger.

NoVa Sk8r
11-08-2004, 12:58 PM
So there's hope for me yet!

And Trevor was an adult-start skater, too.

NoVa Sk8r
11-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Well, suffice it to say, we *WON'T* be working on the split double twist.
But I will keep my eyes open for it at adult nationals.

I would like to do sbs double salchows one day!!!

I saw Trevor and Laurie one year and they were amazing. They did a double twist, side by side doubles, a throw double salchow, and I remember a lift with multiple changes of position which covered the length of the ice.

flo
11-08-2004, 01:10 PM
With the new rules the double split twists and combination lifts will now only be seen in master pairs. It will be interesting to see how the numbers break down at Nationals.

NoVa Sk8r
11-08-2004, 01:13 PM
I meant that we won't be trying the double twist in any of our numerous ( :) ) exhibition shows or hotel lobby improvs. ;)

With the new rules the double split twists and combination lifts will now only be seen in master pairs. It will be interesting to see how the numbers break down at Nationals.

flo
11-08-2004, 01:17 PM
Actually I was thinking that we'll have to make sure to see the master event to see these elements. That's one thing about shows, we can do whatever we want.

NoVa Sk8r
11-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Did you (or anyone else) see the masters event in pairs at Lake placid '04--
any comments/reports on the elements attempted/executed?
There were only 2 teams, IIRC.

Actually I was thinking that we'll have to make sure to see the master event to see these elements. That's one thing about shows, we can do whatever we want.

LoopLoop
11-08-2004, 01:38 PM
I would like to do sbs double salchows one day!!!
Are you sure? In that theoretical world I'd rather do sbs double loops! Or maybe a throw double loop...

NoVa Sk8r
11-08-2004, 01:43 PM
Really, you like loop jumps, I wouldn't have thought it, Loops!

But double loop jump = evil.

I like the idea of throw double loop.

Are you sure? In that theoretical world I'd rather do sbs double loops! Or maybe a throw double loop...

skaternum
11-08-2004, 01:58 PM
Did you (or anyone else) see the masters event in pairs at Lake placid '04--
any comments/reports on the elements attempted/executed?
There were only 2 teams, IIRC.Here are my notes, fwiw. I thought they were more complete, but I must have been drunk. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Gaudreau & Gaudreau: Tango – catch foot pair spin combo. Overhead press lift. Throw loop. SBS Sit. Star (didn’t quite make it overhead). SBS loop. Pair sit (man started on 1 foot!). Toe loop-toe loop combo (I think). BODS. Good unison & speed.

Kuechle & Williams: Lutz lift. SBS axel. Spiral sequence. Baby doll lift. Pair tango camel spin. SBS Camel-sit combo spin. Footwork. SBS flip. Split twist (2 ft.) Catch Camel spiral. Loop lift. Throw waltz. SBS split jump – something?- jump sequence. Pivot spiral. Good speed & lines, especially spirals.

NoVa Sk8r
11-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Thanks; you rock! :bow:

You? Drunk? Never! ;)

Here are my notes, fwiw. I thought they were more complete, but I must have been drunk. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Gaudreau & Gaudreau: Tango – catch foot pair spin combo. Overhead press lift. Throw loop. SBS Sit. Star (didn’t quite make it overhead). SBS loop. Pair sit (man started on 1 foot!). Toe loop-toe loop combo (I think). BODS. Good unison & speed.

Kuechle & Williams: Lutz lift. SBS axel. Spiral sequence. Baby doll lift. Pair tango camel spin. SBS Camel-sit combo spin. Footwork. SBS flip. Split twist (2 ft.) Catch Camel spiral. Loop lift. Throw waltz. SBS split jump – something?- jump sequence. Pivot spiral. Good speed & lines, especially spirals.

jmp123
11-08-2004, 05:23 PM
And Trevor was an adult-start skater, too; his partner wasn't, she'd skated pairs when she was younger.

Actually, I believe Laurie was late teens/early twenties when she skated pairs - we're about the same age, and I competed against her in Novice Pairs when I was in my early 20's (back then there was only Novice/Junior/Senior). I believe she also won a bronze in pairs at an early 'World Pro' Championship - I have a link to the results somewhere.

thebiggestggfan
11-15-2004, 10:18 AM
I think so!

sk8er1964
11-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Well, I know the reason for the back pain now. Definitely the pairs skating. I'm still doing the off ice, but not the pairs and the back is fine.

I think we had a wonderful performance at my pairs debut, BTW (he was more critical, but them again he has done this before). Blew a couple of singles elements (go figure), but managed to either nail or save the pairs elements (sans lifts, of course). It was a lot of fun, and much different going out there to compete with a partner as opposed to being alone. More comforting, somehow. I really enjoyed the whole experience.