View Full Version : Stretching Advice

SinCityJenn
10-20-2004, 05:50 PM
So I'm def not as flexible as I used to be. Used to be able to do the splits, extend my leg behind me a little high. But that was 5 years ago and I haven't kept on it so now I can't do the splits at all, when I extend my leg behind me I can't get it very high and I'm lucky to still be able to touch my toes. I know you have to practice at the splits every day to get there and becoming flexible again will take time and lots of stretching but my question is:
Is there an easier way or quicker way to getting to do the splits or getting flexible again since flexibility is key in sk8ting? What stretching do you do that you have learned is very helpful? And how long do you hold in that stretched position? Thanks.

mskater
10-20-2004, 06:36 PM
Hi Jenn,

I'm in the same boat; though I was never a "pretzel" I was a bit more limber a few years back. One of my former gymnastics coaches taught me this little trick for getting lower in the splits. First off, make sure that your muscles are adequately warmed up. Once warmed up, go ahead and hit the split position of choice...right leg in front, left leg, or straddle. Then while in the split position, try to bring your legs together; kind of like scissors closing. Keep trying for about 10 seconds, tensing as hard as you can. After 10 seconds are up, totally relax your leg muscles and you should then be able to go a tiny bit lower. Try it a couple times, it really works:]

SinCityJenn
10-20-2004, 09:13 PM
Oh yeah, I remeber hearing that in gymnastics too..just tried that....ouch..this will take some time. Thanks.

Isabelle
10-20-2004, 10:26 PM
Here are my stretching tips:
First of all, for optimum stretching, make sure you're warm. (and I mean really like sweaty, feeling warm inside your muscles kind of warm) Hold all stretches for a minimum of 30 seconds. For splits, go as far as you can until you feel a little "ouch" (NOT "Yowwwwww..." ;) ) and support yourself with your arms while holding there.
For stretches where you're leaning over (ie stradle, frog, legs out in front to stretch the back of the legs) you can do 2 things: go as far as you can keeping your entire back flat, and also the more common rounded back so your nose is closer to the floor or your legs. Also, if you come up a little and breathe in, and then exhale as you go back down, (this is after holding it for your 30 sec), you should be able to get a bit farther.
And of course, stretching shouldn't be comfortable, but it should never hurt. Don't try to push past your limits!

:)

NoVa Sk8r
10-20-2004, 10:32 PM
Good responses.

I think that I am pretty flexible (especially for a guy), and I find that it is crucial to stretch directly after skating. Better yet, before you get off the ice, stretch for a few minutes at the boards. And after you take your skates off, stretch again.

Flexiblity won't come overnight, of course, so you've got to keep at it.
In fact, I think I owe my flexibility to all the stretching I used to between weightlifting sets at the gym.

(I'm still working on that Beillman, though. 8-) )

SinCityJenn
10-21-2004, 04:54 PM
Thanks guys.

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-02-2004, 06:34 PM
after you skate make sure you strech or you will get less and less flexible as you go on... make sure you strech and warm up befor u skate... to prevent injerys