View Full Version : ISU Adult Competition!!!

LWalsh
10-19-2004, 04:02 PM
This was just posted on the AdultEdge group! I am so excited this is really going to happen!

------- Forwarded message follows -------
Date sent: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:52:36 -0700
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: ISU Adult Competition is set!

Dear friends:

I am so happy to officially announce the ISU INTERNATIONAL ADULT COMPETITION !!!

The ISU Council just approved our budget request so we will be moving forward to finalize arrangements.

Please mark your calendars for June 10, 11, 12, 2005 in Oberstdorf, Germany. The new ISU judging system will be used.

I hope that the announcement - and details of the competition - will be available shortly. We will do our best to disseminate the application online for ease and efficiency! Please, continue to be patient.

The Mountain Cup will take place the weekend before this ISU competition (3-5 June) in Villard de Lans, France, so that those who are able to may compete twice for the price of one airfare! Villard will also host a training camp (6-8 June) making it possible to have a whole week of activities and two competitions.

Please feel free to spread the word about the dates and the location to all your adult skating friends!

Looking forward to seeing you in Oberstdorf!

Rhea Schwartz
Chair
ISU Adult Skating Working Group

Aussie Willy
10-20-2004, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the information. Nice to see the ISU showing an interest in adult skating. Won't be able to go but good to know it is happening.

NoVa Sk8r
10-20-2004, 10:20 AM
Sounds great--ISU recognizing adults. Woohoo!

Loops, I was gonna suggest we go (I know, as if, right!), but apparently, I'm too young. D'oh!

"The competition will take place from 10th to 12th of June 2005 at Oberstdorf in Germany. The competition will be limited to skaters from 30 to 60 years old. There will only be singles freeskate, pairs and ice dance for couples, and skaters will individually represent their club."

LoopLoop
10-20-2004, 10:24 AM
Loops, I was gonna suggest we go (I know, as if, right!), but apparently, I'm too young. D'oh!

"The competition will take place from 10th to 12th of June 2005 at Oberstdorf in Germany. The competition will be limited to skaters from 30 to 60 years old. There will only be singles freeskate, pairs and ice dance for couples, and skaters will individually represent their club."

If only it was a month later! (yeah, as if anyway, but...)

skaternum
10-20-2004, 12:06 PM
I think it's great that the ISU is sanctioning this, and I know Rhea busted her butt to make it happen. That poor woman (and others) went way "above & beyone" the call of duty to bring this about. Kudos to Rhea et al!!

I worry about the timing of this, though. Here's what the schedule for early summer adult comps in Europe will look like:

Week 1: Talinn, Estonia
Week 2: Villard-de-Lans, France
Week 3: Oberstdorf, Germany

I'm sure they put the ISU comp immediately after Mountain Cup in France to allow people to easily compete in both. But I wonder how many people will be able to expend that much vacation time, plus hotel money for 14+ days? And what will that do to the participation in Estonia? If people can only do 2 comps (if they're rich or lucky), will they choose the ISU comp over Talinn?

Nobody but the Great Becca Guthrie could do 3 comps back to back! And even then, she'll probably have to cut back from 8 events per comp to about 5! :lol:

phillyskater
10-20-2004, 01:33 PM
Sounds great--ISU recognizing adults. Woohoo!

Me too! (for once...) YAY!! :lol:

Mrs Redboots
10-23-2004, 02:38 PM
The difficulty with Tallinn (oh, how I'd love to do it!) is that there isn't anything planned between it and the Mountain Cup, whereas there will be a skate camp between the Mountain Cup and Oberstdorff, so a wonderful holiday of 2 weekends and one week in the middle.

For those who haven't been following the conversation on the Mountain Cup Yahoo Group (if you are not a member of that group, and would like to join it, please e-mail me privately or pm me if you don't have my e-mail address, and I'll add you to the list), there will be a coach (tour bus) to take skaters from t'other to which if enough people are interested to make it worth-while hiring one.

I am really, really, really, really, REALLY pleased this competition is finally going ahead, and many, many thanks to Rhea, Maggie, Barbara and the others for organising it.