View Full Version : Have you ever?.....

FSWer
10-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Say I was reading my Rainbo Sports Skating magazine and was just couious if anyone here has ever modeled for it?

CanAmSk8ter
10-17-2004, 09:35 AM
Those models aren't necessarily skaters. They're probably just models. Most of them really don't "look" like skaters to me.

dbny
10-17-2004, 10:40 AM
I know two skaters who have modeled for Capezio and have been in the RainboSports catalog.

fadedstardust
10-17-2004, 01:04 PM
I modeled for Discount Dance Supply a few years back, which is a dance magazine, and since I modeled leotards and shoes, I had to have had ballet experience. I guess it might be different for skating but as far as I know they still want skaters or dancers to model their stuff, not so much models.

CanAmSk8ter
10-18-2004, 10:22 AM
I know GK used to use actual skaters. Shelby Lyons and Amber Corwin were in their catalog when I first started getting it in the mail. I think some of the bigger companies, like GK and Capezio, do use skaters at least sometimes, but I don't think the smaller companies usually do, especially if they're more gymnastics and/or dance focused.

AshBugg44
10-18-2004, 01:39 PM
I know that Imperial Sportswear uses local skaters to do their modeling...

nja
10-18-2004, 01:43 PM
I never modeled for Rainbo, but I know some people who did years ago. Some of the models in the Rainbo catalog are local skaters and some are not. It used to be all be local models, but a few years ago, when they started upgrading their clothing line, I noticed that some of the pictures featured skating stars like Tara Lipinski and Bebe Liaang, and they are definitely not local to the Chicago area! Rainbo must get permission from other companies like Capezio to use some of their existing photos.

FYI...there is an old picture of Evan Lysacek that is still being used in the newest Rainbo catalog, page 19 (he's the one on the left). This picture was taken when he was still living and skating in the Chicagoland area. He must have been around 13 at the time this picture was taken. I know it has been in the catalog for several years.

CanAmSk8ter
10-18-2004, 04:34 PM
I know that Imperial Sportswear uses local skaters to do their modeling...

That's the other company I was trying to think of. The woman who owns it was at my rink for one or two summers with her daughter and a couple other skaters from their rink. IIRC, her daughter was in their catalog at one point (haven't gotten one for several years now, since dresses aren't cool to wear at my new rink).

Blosmbubbs
10-18-2004, 06:58 PM
How do you get to model in the catalogs? I'm a skater and I would like to model, the thing is I'm short so I don't know if they would use me.

fadedstardust
10-19-2004, 12:55 AM
Height doesn't really matter much for print as long as the clothes you're modeling look good on you. I knew someone who got me the job but you might try just calling the company and getting the information, this isn't like trying to get into a magazine or anything, you don't need an agent for it. Good luck.

AshBugg44
10-19-2004, 01:19 AM
That's the other company I was trying to think of. The woman who owns it was at my rink for one or two summers with her daughter and a couple other skaters from their rink. IIRC, her daughter was in their catalog at one point (haven't gotten one for several years now, since dresses aren't cool to wear at my new rink).

Where is your rink? I know the woman who owns it (she made my Pirates dress...custom...) and I skate with her daughter. Her daughter still is in the catalog, along with skaters from around here, like her daughter's pairs partner!

http://imperialsportswear.com

jazzpants
10-19-2004, 03:50 AM
I would love to model for one of those skating dress catalogs too, but this ol' girl is WAAAY too old for that. I can't say that I'm not slim enough for it. I have a pretty good figure, considering my age... ;)

I know of one website where there are skating clothes for guys and one of our local skaters modelled for that website. He looked KEWL!!! 8-)

fadedstardust
10-19-2004, 09:20 PM
There are adult models in Discount Dance supply and many others. Go for it!