View Full Version : Jumps!

IcePrincess
10-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Anyone here have any good tips on how to do really big jumps? Rotating isn't really a problem for me and I just want to get my jumps in the air more! :) Any advice from those of you that are terrific jumpers is appreciated!

Perry
10-13-2004, 05:46 AM
Are you talking about singles or doubles? The trick to a big double (or triple) is to have fantastic single. Work on them for almost more time than you work on the double.

For singles, it's not being afraid to fall. If you want to have a big jump, you're going to have to suffer through some bad falls. Eventually, though, if remind yourself how worth it it is, your jumps will be amazing. (of course, never practice them to the point where you injure yourself or practice bad habits and make the jump worse).

Justine_R
10-13-2004, 02:47 PM
For singles, it's not being afraid to fall. If you want to have a big jump, you're going to have to suffer through some bad falls. Eventually, though, if remind yourself how worth it it is, your jumps will be amazing. (of course, never practice them to the point where you injure yourself or practice bad habits and make the jump worse).

it's not being afraid to fall .....I just realised something!!
Thanksyou:)

doubletoe
10-13-2004, 05:03 PM
2 more tips:

1. Just before you take off on any jump, make sure you get down low on your knee, with your knee lined up over your toe and your chest lined up over your knee.

2. On edge jumps like axels, salchows and loops, roll up onto your toepick as you take off, and point your toe as you leave the ice. This extra spring from rolling up onto your toepick will make a big difference in your jump height! If you jump rope as your warmup before skating, it will help build up the muscles that give you that spring. And remember to stretch out your calf muscles afterwards, because if the muscles get too tight, you will lose your spring.

3ggi3
10-24-2004, 12:23 AM
well

speed is good
bending is good
being on the correct takeoff edge is good
fully pointing toes on takeoff
(using hips, thighs, knees, calves, ankles, feet, and toes)

sk8er7
10-24-2004, 12:47 AM
Using your free leg (the leg NOT on the ice) by pushing that up, will help you get higher jumps, and remember speed=distance, right now your trying to get them higher so your gonna wanna take it slower!!! :lol:

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-02-2004, 06:15 PM
first of all if you want a big hight jump... dont kill the ice! lol go nice and easy.. when u slam your pick in the ice.. you mite find you will pop the jump..just follow thru... well any way thats what helps for me ;) hope it helps for u :)