View Full Version : Learning new dance and need tips

Dr. Phil
10-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Anyone have any tips for me on the Rocker Foxtrot?

Perry
10-12-2004, 08:30 PM
I havem't done that dance for a long time, so I can't really offer any specific advice on it. For all dances, though, it helps to leave the music on for the entire session (if possible) so that every pattern you do is with the music. I didn't start doing this until my golds, and I still don't have the spine to do it when I'm not on lesson, but it really, really helps.

TashaKat
10-12-2004, 11:48 PM
ENJOY IT!!!!

I love the Rocker :D

When I was doing it I used to work on each 'tricky bit' in isolation .... the rocker, the mohawk, the BIIIIIIG edges and then just run through and run through and run through (with music where possible).

Are there any specific bits of it that you want tips on?

CanuckSk8r
10-13-2004, 08:40 AM
The softer you stay in your knees, the easier the steps and the rhythm will be for you. Don't be afraid to keep you upper body loose for a foxtrot either, it tends to be easier.
Happy dancing! I love the Rocker (once I got the hang of it) and loved competing it, such a "lilty, edgey" dance. Oooh, now I want to go skate!!!!

Dr. Phil
10-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Thanks for all your tips- can anyone help with the mohawk? What position should your upper body be in to make it easier?

icedancer2
10-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Well, you need to be behind your partner's hip, with your left shoulder forward, right shoulder back -- same if you are doing it solo. What exactly is the problem here?

think about shoulders over hips -- square.

A strong check is generally necessary on the mohawk.

Fun, fun dance!!

Mrs Redboots
10-14-2004, 05:47 AM
Much easier to do the Swing Dance (which in the UK is skated to the same music) instead! But I did rather love the Rocker, the only time I tried it. Sadly, our coach doesn't like it, and as we are scarcely going to need it other than socially for many years to come, if ever, we are unlikely to learn it properly yet.

CanuckSk8r
10-14-2004, 08:19 AM
For the Mohawk, keep your leftside VERY strong on the entry and throughout. The strong check will make it easier for your lower body to execute the turn much easier, as you do the rbo cross rbi keep that left side strong and controlled as well, it keeps your body moving in the right directions!

How do you like the Rocker??

backspin
10-14-2004, 09:15 AM
practice the mohawk steps around the circle in the middle of the ice--& check your tracing to make sure you're staying on correct edges. Most people step into that first LO edge pretty flat, & then change it to an inside as they step into the mohawk. You have to lean strongly into your circle through all those steps to make them correct.