View Full Version : Need tips for strength recovery

Lissy
10-06-2004, 10:35 PM
Grr...I just typed all this and then lost it somehow. :frus:
I'll try again.

Hey moms, or anyone who has had some sort of abdominal or pelvic (sorry for the TMI guys) surgery, I need some help.

I had a baby by C-Section on June 5. I have just started skating again. I used to have all of my singles through lutz.

I got back on the ice last week, and could not do a thing. My outside spread eagle used to be my trademark, and now I can't even do that! I went into my spread eagle and just about fell over in pain. I'm sure it wasn't anything with the incision, it's been 4 months, and the incision healed really well, I think it has to do with the muscles being cut through and weakened. I feel it most, like a pulling, in my lower abdomen, and upper thighs. It gets more and more sore as I jump.

Have any of you experienced this, and if so, what did you do to build up that muscle again? Is it just a natural process that will take time? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks much!

dbny
10-06-2004, 11:57 PM
I had a baby by C-Section on June 5. ....
I think it has to do with the muscles being cut through and weakened.

Did you have a cut down the middle or a low transverse (bikini cut)? I'm guessing down the middle, because they don't cut through any muscles in the low transverse. If that's what they did, then you are definitely going to have a hard time. I was lucky and had a low transverse and was still laid low by the whole procedure. I think you should start off slowly with a few crunches every day and add more as you feel able to.

sk8pics
10-07-2004, 06:07 AM
You might want to try some pilates, which will certainly help you build up your abdominal strength again. Maybe some stretching, too, given your comment about feeling the muscles pulling in your upper thighs.

Congrats on the baby! And just take it slow... you don't want to injure yourself by rushing things too fast.

Pat

Lissy
10-07-2004, 05:42 PM
It actually was a low-transverse. I remember being told something about how I would have a tummy bulge forever now because they cut through the muscle and it would be really hard to tighten that area and make it flat again. I don't remember though. Everything happened so fast I really don't remember what they told me. Plus it was three in the morning, and I had just gone through a 21-hour failed induction.

I did think of Pilates. I actually work for a hospital that offers classes, and they are held only like 3 blocks from my home. That's a really good idea.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Keep it coming!

slusher
10-07-2004, 09:27 PM
I've had 2 C-sections (smile cut, not up and down) and definitely between the saggy skin and muscle trauma, I have a permanent pooch that only plastic surgery would remove. I've gotten used to that, spandex is my friend, but it took a whole year for the lower abs to get back to their strength. The muscles aren't cut, but they're separated and when they heal there is scar tissue and that can give that pulling feeling. I did aerobics and swimming as part of the re-strengthening process and really had to concentrate to isolate those specific muscles.

I think that some off ice work will help a lot, and keep skating. Everything will come back with time.

skatergirlsmom
10-08-2004, 08:31 AM
Hi, I do not skate, but I had 3 C-sections and my daughter skates. I am so happy to hear that you had the horizontal cut. My mother had the vertical cut and that technique seems so wrong. My skater girl used to be in competive gymnastics, where she did some serious conditioning. These seem hard to me, so please consult your doctor first. A couple of ones that I remember are

Lemon squeezer: Like crunches. Lay on your back with your arms at your sides, knees straight and legs 6 inches off the floor. Bring your upper body and your legs to the middle. Repeat without touching the floor. (These were used as punishment for being tardy).

Supermans: Lay on your stomache. Arch your back and bring your legs and head up. Hold for a count of 15 or 20 or whatever is comfortable. This is good for stretching and conditioning.

name?? Hang from a pull up bar (a cheap bar in a doorway works fine) with your feet resting on the ground. With straight knees, try to bring your feet up to your face.

inverted situps: hang upside down from your knees on your bar and do sit ups.