View Full Version : Help With Bw Inside Edges

kit*kat
10-06-2004, 08:54 PM
just like the title. i need help with b/w inside edges. i can to the first push but the 2nd push i cant use my other foot. its weirdo! my coach brings me down too. i just dont get it!! any advice on how to do b/w inside edges?

vesperholly
10-06-2004, 09:30 PM
These are the hardest edges. Work on the Schaffer push, which is a figures push. For LBI, you stand pigeon-toed on the line, push your right foot out to the right and put your weight on the left foot. It's hard to describe, I can post a video after I skate on Friday. Most people have stronger L or R pushes. Practice and patience will improve the less strong one.

montanarose
10-06-2004, 11:18 PM
It's only a small part of the big puzzle, but one thing that seems to be key (at least for me) is that, after the push, DO NOT lift your free foot off the ice until you have brought it back directly in line with -- and in front of -- your skating foot. And in order to do this, guess what? -- your skating knee has to be (all together now): WELL-BENT and you need to be sitting back and down securely over your skating foot. Once you have brought the free foot back in line over the tracing, you can then lift it off the ice and keep the free toe pointed down until you begin to pass the free foot back at about a third of the way through the semi-circle.

If you don't do this, you won't be able to keep your body weight centered nicely over your skating foot. Instead, your weight will be hanging somewhere out there in space between your two feet and you will tend to fall into the circle and onto your free foot.

Hope this helps -- I have not mastered these BI edges myself, but this is one tidbit that has helped me.

kit*kat
10-10-2004, 08:10 PM
These are the hardest edges. Work on the Schaffer push, which is a figures push. For LBI, you stand pigeon-toed on the line, push your right foot out to the right and put your weight on the left foot. It's hard to describe, I can post a video after I skate on Friday. Most people have stronger L or R pushes. Practice and patience will improve the less strong one.

a video would be awesome but i guess its a little after friday so i guess when ever u can would be great.

NickiT
10-11-2004, 02:56 AM
I don't know if this helps, but I simply think of drawing "C" shapes with my blades when I do my backward inside edges.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
10-11-2004, 02:58 AM
And look where you have been, to bring the opposite shoulder slightly forward.

Justine_R
10-11-2004, 09:55 AM
I had problems with these too..for canadian skill skating it was skill 6 , Junior Bronze......I am still on the skill now.
The excerise change threes consists of 4 (i think?) forward three turns(with swing rolls) then 4 backwards ones(with swing rolls) :) and the inside one would kill me:)...I don't know if you have this included in yours but in my skill we have to swing our foot through and back and then turn with out foot in front!, and i just couldn't do it.
I talked to my coach and right away she noticed the problem was i was swinging my free leg around instead of through causing me to mess up the edge.
Now I can finally do the three turns and hopefully be testing it soon:)
Hope this helps!

kit*kat
10-13-2004, 07:43 PM
YAYAYAYAYA I DID IT!!! IT JUST CAME TO ME!!! MY TEACH WAS DOING IT WITH ME AND I DID IT!!!! THANKS FOR ALL UR HELP!!!!!! :bow:

icedancer2
10-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Isn't that great???!!

Another "AHA" moment!! :bow:

Tessie
10-13-2004, 08:43 PM
YAYAYAYAYA I DID IT!!! IT JUST CAME TO ME!!! MY TEACH WAS DOING IT WITH ME AND I DID IT!!!! THANKS FOR ALL UR HELP!!!!!! :bow:
Congratulations - now if I could only get mine! What was your trick / technique for the break through? This is the only thing holding me back on FS 2 in the USFSA adult program. :roll:

NickiT
10-14-2004, 02:41 AM
Congrats on getting this skill!!!! I bet you feel great now!

Nicki

Justine_R
10-14-2004, 02:56 PM
Yay!!!:):):)

Andie
10-21-2004, 12:45 AM
BW Insides are supposed to be the hardest to do??? That's strange - they seem to be somewhat easier for me than BW Outsides. *shrug* I'm still improving my back edges, though.

kit*kat
10-21-2004, 08:20 PM
Congratulations - now if I could only get mine! What was your trick / technique for the break through? This is the only thing holding me back on FS 2 in the USFSA adult program. :roll:

well it sort of came to me.lol. dont really curve that much. stay straight against the wall. im 12 so i cant really explain that well. just do a regular right b/w 1 foot swizzle and lift.all u have to do is worry about moving ur left leg. i dunt really know what part ur having trouble on so just pm me and ill try to explain.