View Full Version : UK skaters

dalsvet
09-29-2004, 10:51 AM
Hi everyone,

I will be moving to the UK :) in early December, and was hoping for some assistance. Does anyone know the skating situation in/around Coventry (West Mids) with respect to adult skaters?

Thanks a lot!

Dalya

2loop2loop
09-29-2004, 10:57 AM
You're in luck if you are going to Coventry. Coventry has a great skating school with many high level skaters including the current British ladies champion and a number of other senior level skaters.

The skating school is run by two coaches from Russia one of whom in particular takes a great interest in adult skating.

I occasionally train in Coventry and I enjoy it a lot. It is inspiring to be on the ice with such high level skaters, but at the same time the atmosphere is supportive and not at all intimidating to lower level skaters.

John

Mrs Redboots
09-29-2004, 11:25 AM
Coventry is in the Central League for Recreational Ice Dance matches, and as Husband and I very occasionally dance for Slough, which is in the same league, we just might see you if you are a dancer.

If you are more interested in the Open competitions (your only choice, if you aren't a dancer), I do recommend you join NISA so that you are eligible to compete in this country. There are shedloads of adult competitions, and competitions with adult classes, and, of course, you are well placed for the European competitions (Dune of Flanders Cup in early December - pm me for details) next summer.

batikat
09-29-2004, 05:27 PM
If you are interested in dance (well or free really as she can teach both), then there is a coach there at Coventry who used to be at Bracknell, who is really lovely and has taught many adult skaters. She is a former British Champion ice dancer (with her then partner whose name I forget now). She wasn't my coach but she used to run a weekly dance moves class which I really miss. Her name is Lynne and if you meet her tell her 'Hi!' from Gail at Bracknell!

Good luck with your move to the UK!