View Full Version : Skate Spinner

angelaa
08-01-2002, 01:10 AM
Has anyone used a skate spinner? Does it work? I am in college and the nearest rink is an hour away, and I am DYING to keep practicing. Any other tips for off-ice practice/training? I stopped skating last year as a result of an injury, and at the time I was working on my axel and dbl. salchow. Any info is appreciated!

Angela

Mrs Redboots
08-01-2002, 12:51 PM
I have one, and find that it is actually better for working on one's turns and balance, rather than for spins - but then, I can't spin anyway, on or off the ice! It is an excellent practice-tool for turns, though.

flo
08-01-2002, 01:25 PM
I tried a spinner, and didn't think it was very helpful. I would do anything that keeps you in relatively good shape and balanced - something for strength, and something for coordination/presentation. You could also try the pic skates.

IceAngel725
08-03-2002, 05:33 PM
I have had my spinner for almost 6 months and love it! I had the hardest time learning to spin, and if i didn't have the spinner i probably still wouldn't be able to spin! Its not exactly like spinning on the ice, but is similar. I don't get to skate as much as i'd like to, and the spinner gives me a chance to at least practice something. I'd definitely recommend getting one!

KatieC
08-06-2002, 01:23 PM
I got a spinner about two years ago, and use it sporadically. Is is helpful? Well, debatable in my opinion. I find I can practise a sit spin and keep my knees together on the spinner - can't do it on the ice though :)
On the other hand, my cats think it's quite entertaining to watch me spin around and occassionally hurl myself into the ping pong table :roll:

So, my vote is try it maybe, as long as it's not too expensive. Good Luck.