View Full Version : First boots for me

fadi
09-25-2004, 01:48 PM
Hello
I am 23 years old, practicing for roughly 2 years now but never bought boots before.
I don't jump/dance nor play hockey in a team, just have fun on ice.

I do know some tricks, and I feel it is time for me to get my own boots.

What are the things that I should look at? how should I select, what amount should I expect to pay?

I am not even decided whether I want to buy hockey style or figure style boots... what do you suggest?

I do have relatively wide feets.

Obviously I don't want to pay a fortune, I only go twice a week to the arena for aproximately 3hours each time.

dbny
09-25-2004, 01:59 PM
Take a look at the lower level Jackson models. Jackson is known as a wider boot and they have figure boots with blades that start at about $60. Stay away from Riedells, as they are known to be narrow. You could also look at some of the softec boots/blades, which are made almost like sneakers.

TashaKat
09-25-2004, 02:14 PM
Are you wanting to do spins or anything? If you are then I would say go for figure boots.

I've used both hockey and figure and much prefer figure but then I prefer figure skating! At the end of the day it's your choice but my opinion is that if you're wanting to do much more than just fun skate (and yes, it IS addictive) then you will need to make a decision one way or the other otherwise it doesn't really matter.

What I would say is that if you get figure boots you should make sure that the blade isn't riveted on so that you can have it moved if it's not in the right place AND if you get the figure skating bug then you will be able to upgrade boot/blade.

Don't get second hand boots (if that's what you're going to look at) which are floppy in the ankles, they won't have enough support and will make your life miserable. I would also go for leather rather than plastic or synthetic.

You can get lower level boots for a reasonable price but it's a matter of trying on different makes to get a good fit. I, for example, can't wear Risport or Belati because they just don't suit my foot shape (and I hate them but then that's a different thread ;) ). I wear Harlick but wouldn't recommend those for you as they are expensive and not really a beginners boot.

Good luck

x

fadi
09-26-2004, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the tips.
Actually I tried both types a week ago and felt that the hockey ones feel higher off the ground than the figure ones...
I think I will go with figure models.

Now I understand that you can buy the boots and the blades seperately, is that a must? is there any other accessories that I should buy to protect and maintain the boots?

I will have a look at (actually search for) Jackson and sotec :)

Mrs Redboots
09-26-2004, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the tips.
Actually I tried both types a week ago and felt that the hockey ones feel higher off the ground than the figure ones...
I think I will go with figure models.

Now I understand that you can buy the boots and the blades seperately, is that a must? is there any other accessories that I should buy to protect and maintain the boots?

I will have a look at (actually search for) Jackson and sotec :)Ask one of the teachers at your rink where you should go to buy skates. Different brands fit different feet so, ideally, go somewhere with a wide range of brands that you can try on, and someone who knows what they are doing. Yes, blades come separately (the all-in-one kind of boot and skate you buy in your local sports shop are okay to start with, but after about six months you need something a bit more, so sensible to start as you mean to go on), and at your level you should look at buying Coronation Ace blades.

You will also need plastic blade guards for walking around off the ice, towelling "soakers", or blade covers, to store the blades in (never, never store your blades in the plastic guards or they will rust), and an old face-flannel or piece of towelling to dry your blades with when you have finished skating. In an ideal world, you should also get or make cloth bags in which to store each boot when you're not wearing them, but not everybody has that. And, of course, some kind of bag to carry everything in! There are special triangular bags you can buy, but they only really hold skates and guards, with no spare pockets for water-bottles, tapes, spare tights, laces, etc. Some people use roll-along suitcases, the size suitable for hand-luggage, but that's a bore if you use public transport to get to the rink. You could use a child-size day-bag, or, I use a hand-luggage-sized laptop case. Whatever....

fadi
09-26-2004, 09:12 AM
That's good info Ms Redboots!!
Thanks, I've never imagine buying boots could be as involved :)

But why do you think I should get the Coronation Ace blades?
I tried to search on the internet, and there is more than one type of Coronation Ace blades: K-pick, parabolic...

please can you ellaborate more on this?

I am seeing some guys at the arena with boots that look like sneakers, some models without laces but a kind of plastic clips (like ski boots)... Any idea what they are? they look cool hehe...

dbny
09-26-2004, 10:24 AM
IMO, if you are not going to take lessons and get involved in figure skating, Coronation Ace blades are not worth your while, and you will be fine with a set of boots and blades that are sold together.

TashaKat
09-26-2004, 02:02 PM
I am seeing some guys at the arena with boots that look like sneakers, some models without laces but a kind of plastic clips (like ski boots)... Any idea what they are? they look cool hehe...

If you're going to skate once a week without doing much more than going forward then they're fine but they're NOT a boot that I would advise anyone to get. They can be quite uncomfortable and can rub quite badly if they don't suite your foot shape.

I agree with dbny, get an entry level boot with the blades already attached. If you later decide to progress into figure skating then that's the time to start looking at different blades, at the moment the Coronation Aces wouldn't help you and, therefore, would not be worth the money that you spent on them.

Are you going to try any lessons? Learn to skate can be fun and isn't too pressurised.

Mrs Redboots
09-27-2004, 03:53 AM
Yes, if you are only going to skate for fun, no point investing in Coronation Aces. However, if you buy an entry-level boot-and-blade combination (WIFA do a good one, but they may not suit the shape of your feet), make sure the blades are screwed on, so that you could upgrade in a few months if you do start skating seriously.

I agree, the plastic boots aren't worth it, except for entry-level hockey. Better to spend just a little more money and make sure you have a good fit. I repeat, ask at your local rink where you should go. They may even have some kind of second-hand boot market, often the teachers at a given rink know who's selling what and can tell you whether you would be getting a bargain or not.

fadi
09-27-2004, 10:15 AM
ok ok I will ask my local rink teachers... just trying to gather info as much as I can.