View Full Version : Skaters helping in public sessions

Aussie Willy
09-20-2004, 06:44 AM
Just a question that I am interested in and does this happen at your rink.

We had a family fun day today which was really good. Quite a few of our skaters helped the kids who came and the parents thought it was great.

When I talked to a few of the skaters later they said they would be happy to do this in busy public session (like over the school holidays) if they could free rink entry at other times.

It is a great idea and good for promoting the sport. Plus seeing skating is such an expensive sport it would really help some of our more dedicated skaters out financially. I am sure the rink manager would go along with it - just need to talk to him about it. So does this happen at your rink?

Mrs Redboots
09-20-2004, 08:17 AM
Not exactly the same, but similar; at least once when a young people's group had been misinformed of the time of the public session, and had to wait for an hour during Dance Club, and they behaved absolutely impeccably, you wouldn't believe how good they were, so the dancers stayed on to help them.

And another time we had a fund-raiser - not for skaters, I hasten to add; this was a national event called "Comic Relief" or "Red Nose Day", when people do silly things and donate the money to a national telethon, in aid of domestic and international children's charities - and took over the "disco" session after Friday evening's public session; we did face-painting and got everybody on the ice to line up and make the longest chain possible. And again, I think people stayed on the ice to help the kids.

dbny
09-20-2004, 09:35 AM
This could be a problem if there are pros present who are hoping to pick up private lessons, which is often the case at our outdoor rink. I'm sure no one would mind if one skater happened to help out one or two people who were really struggling, but a whole group of skaters essentially "working" as coaches could provoke resistance from coaches, IMO. Last year at the outdoor rink, the skating director told me there was a man waiting for a lesson with me (I was working with someone at the time), then I saw my husband skating around with that man, helping him out. Guess what? My lesson disappeared because hubby did such a good job for free :evil:

Mrs Redboots
09-20-2004, 11:13 AM
This could be a problem if there are pros present who are hoping to pick up private lessons, which is often the case at our outdoor rink. I'm sure no one would mind if one skater happened to help out one or two people who were really struggling, but a whole group of skaters essentially "working" as coaches could provoke resistance from coaches, IMO.I take your point, but in this case, it was the coaches who encouraged us to do it. They were busy with the usual adult learn-to-skate lessons, and the children came as a one-off, not on a regular basis. So they encouraged us to help those who wanted a hand to get started.

TreSk8sAZ
09-20-2004, 11:34 AM
This could be a problem if there are pros present who are hoping to pick up private lessons, which is often the case at our outdoor rink. I'm sure no one would mind if one skater happened to help out one or two people who were really struggling, but a whole group of skaters essentially "working" as coaches could provoke resistance from coaches, IMO.

Actually, not only could the coaches be mad, you have to make sure of what your rink policy is. I know at my rink, unless you have liability insurance (either through PSA or USFS) you can get into big trouble for teaching, or even just helping. This has even been an issue on freestyles with kids telling what others are doing wrong with, say, a jump or a spin and watching for a few minutes. This is on a freestyle, more or less public ice. Public ice would potentially be more dangerous since the public skaters have less of an idea of what they are doing, and incorrect technique or trying something that is harder than they should be (even with the help of a skater) could result in greater injury... and possibly a lawsuit.

I think kids helping kids, or skaters helping other skaters, is a great idea. But be careful in how it is done, and always check with your rink policy first. You don't want anyone to be kicked out.

flippet
09-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Public ice would potentially be more dangerous since the public skaters have less of an idea of what they are doing, and incorrect technique or trying something that is harder than they should be (even with the help of a skater) could result in greater injury... and possibly a lawsuit.
I can see the point here...sort of...while also seeing how ridiculous it is. It's hard to truly protect the rink--people can sue over anything, and as long as it's allowed, then they will, no matter what. I've had two rinks close up their public skating, period, because they've been sued. One was at a university near me--they had an alumni sue them because he fell while skating. Same basic idea at the other rink--some parent was skating on a public session, and a kid accidentally slid into them from behind, and the parent fell.

People, ice is slippery. Deal with it. :roll: :evil: But no, because they're a bit embarassed, or slightly injured, they decide to sue and completely ruin the fun for everyone else in the community.

For the scenario above, you could have two friends, Suzie Smith and Jane Jones out there, neither of whom have ever skated before, and Suzie could be telling Jane to 'do a twisty thing, you know, jump and all', and Jane could try it and splat, and next thing you know, Jane's parents are suing the pants off the rink, when it's not anyone's fault but maybe Jane's, for trying something ridiculously beyond her abilities.

Bottom line, the rink can try to avoid getting sued by keeping people from giving any kind of skating advice to anyone, but A) it doesn't work (people still do it, and a rink can be sued, regardless), and B) it ruins the fun for everyone.

Aussie Willy
09-21-2004, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

I don't think any coaches at our rink would have their noses put out of joint. I think they would only encourage it.

Good point about the liability issues though. I don't think it would be too much of a problem but I can see what you are saying.

RoaringSkates
09-21-2004, 11:35 AM
I helped a little girl out the other day on a public session. She was terrified, and at least I got her started. However, right at the front of my mind was liability. Not for the rink, but for ME.

The rink posts that they can't be held liable, that skating is an inherently dangerous sport. I'm sure they still get sued, but at least they've warned, so can have a decent defense unless they were negligent. And if you work for the rink, you're an agent of the rink, so I don't think can be personally sued. And coaches carry their own insurance. But for me, as a skater, just helping - that's a different story.

fadedstardust
09-22-2004, 06:04 AM
I take your point, but in this case, it was the coaches who encouraged us to do it. They were busy with the usual adult learn-to-skate lessons, and the children came as a one-off, not on a regular basis. So they encouraged us to help those who wanted a hand to get started.

If someone (who is qualified) is willing to help people for free, then, as much respect I have for coaches (and I have a ton), especially on public sessions, with kids barely beginning, I don't see the harm in it. There's more chances a kid will get interested in the sport of someone their age who is better than them shows them a few of the easy ropes. Actually, this may draw them in and make these kids seeks out coaches later on. Most average kids (and even adult) public skaters who haven't tried figure skating would LOVE to do a little "twirl" as I've heard (aka spin), or an awesome waltz jump, but don't have the first clue about the sport at all. There's nothing wrong in us skaters helping people get into the sport. I certainly help people for free, even if I'm on a freestyle and someone asks for my input, I'll give it. I ask for my peer's input sometimes, too. If you have a coach, they know you're not going to leave them for a couple of pieces of advices from a peer. And if you can't afford or don't yet have enough desire to warrant spending money on a coach, what's wrong with taking advantage of generous skaters willing to help you in exchange for free ice which they desperately need?

I'd do almost anything for free ice. It's a plus if I happen to enjoy what I'm doing, and helping someone in the process. I don't think about money other people could be making off a kid with less training than me when I give them suggestions, I guess if anything I think that I would have loved to be able to get a tiny bit of help when I couldn't afford a coach. We ARE a community, after all, of people in it with the love of the same thing. I know coaches have to make a living, but most do, a decent one at that, and it's not always about how much more dough you could rake in, in my opinion.