View Full Version : British Adult Championships 2005

Mrs Redboots
09-20-2004, 04:17 AM
The British Adult Championships are almost upon us - who else is going? I know John F is....

Husband and I are doing Elementary Dance in the Veterans Age Category. Know at least one other couple we'll be up against (and this time, maybe we'll beat them?), possibly two.

batikat
09-20-2004, 12:57 PM
I'm going - in fact all the Bracknell skaters who went last year except one are going again. Just as well I got a medal last year though, as now the age range has changed to include from 21-50 I don't think I have much chance against the younger adult skaters. Ah well - I'm just going for the fun of it this time.

I think it will still be 2004 though won't it :lol: ;)

TashaKat
09-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Good luck :D

What are the dates? If I get the chance I'll come over and see you all.

x

NickiT
09-21-2004, 06:16 AM
As Batikat has already posted, the gang from Bracknell are coming again so yep, I'll be there! Just hope I have a better skate than I did yesterday :roll: !!!

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
09-21-2004, 09:12 AM
Oh, duh! You're quite right, I meant 2004!

Tashakat, it will be Sunday 2 October - I don't know whether there are any classes on Saturday 1, or just practice ice and the draw. I haven't yet heard from NISA, other than an acknowledgement of our entry. Has anyone?

NickiT
09-21-2004, 02:20 PM
Oh, duh! You're quite right, I meant 2004!

Tashakat, it will be Sunday 2 October - I don't know whether there are any classes on Saturday 1, or just practice ice and the draw. I haven't yet heard from NISA, other than an acknowledgement of our entry. Has anyone?

Isn't it on Sunday 3rd October?????

And nope I haven't heard anything from NISA, not even acknowledgement of entry. As far as I know none of us from Bracknell have heard anything yet.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
09-22-2004, 06:41 AM
It's getting up too early in the morning to skate - it destroys the brain cells! I do know *when* it is, though - next weekend! I assume that, as last year, it will only be practice-ice and the draw on the Saturday, and the competition proper on the Sunday, but we'll see. Anyway, I dare say they will let us know within the next few days.

Mrs Redboots
09-22-2004, 07:14 AM
I posed the same question on the Usenet group, and got this reply from a British skater (spelling and punctuation theirs)

No i contacted them last week to say i haven't had any confrimation of
my application and they contacted me this week to say that they hope
the timetables will be out by the end of the week and that they'll
actually cash the cheques this week too - more than a little annoying
since i presumed the cheque had been cashed in August when i wrote it.
Seems very disorganised to be producing the timetable bearly a week
before the competition, but i gather the elite nationals are the same
since they're 1-4 December and the tickets are still unavailable to
buy because the timetable hasn't been set yet!

NickiT
09-22-2004, 08:08 AM
I'm relieved that it's not just me waiting to hear then. Just had today's post and still nothing. I think it's a bit poor really. It doesn't make much difference to me but there are some people at my rink who need to know so that they can arrange their following Monday accordingly. (Depending on how late it finishes on Sunday!)

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
09-23-2004, 06:05 AM
Well, quite. I need to know because we are staying with our daughter, in York, and I need to be able to let her know what time we are arriving on the Saturday, or whether we'll need to leave on Friday night, and what time we shall be tiptoeing out of her house with our shoes off on the Sunday morning.... it's all very well.... nothing today here, either.

Pause.

I've just rung up NISA and spoken to such a nice young woman, who sounded utterly exasperated as she was supposed to have had the final timetable last night, but, of course, it never arrived. She has tried in vain to contact the referee this morning, but hasn't yet succeeded in doing so, and is tearing her hair because, of course, everybody is ringing up wanting to know! Anyway, her profound apologies to us all and she is hoping to get the information out later today!

NickiT
09-23-2004, 07:19 AM
Well, quite. I need to know because we are staying with our daughter, in York, and I need to be able to let her know what time we are arriving on the Saturday, or whether we'll need to leave on Friday night, and what time we shall be tiptoeing out of her house with our shoes off on the Sunday morning.... it's all very well.... nothing today here, either.

Pause.

I've just rung up NISA and spoken to such a nice young woman, who sounded utterly exasperated as she was supposed to have had the final timetable last night, but, of course, it never arrived. She has tried in vain to contact the referee this morning, but hasn't yet succeeded in doing so, and is tearing her hair because, of course, everybody is ringing up wanting to know! Anyway, her profound apologies to us all and she is hoping to get the information out later today!

Thanks for the update Annabel. Let's hope we get something tomorrow then!

Nicki

max
09-25-2004, 10:43 AM
To all of you UK Adult Skaters who I know read this forum.

I am organising the volunteers for your Championship next week. Still reeling from the shock of the timetable. The volunteers will be working from 7.30 am to 9.30pm without a break. When do they expect the volunteers to eat?

If any of you have any time spare on the day to help, it would be greatly appreciated. Even if its only an hour, it will allow someone to go and have something to eat. Just ask at the competition desk for Maxine.

Good luck to you all.

Mrs Redboots
09-26-2004, 04:00 AM
Will do - the Husband has just said: "I'll be very happy to help, because I don't like standing around!" (which is true) and we finish our class at 3.30 pm, so he will be at your disposal from then until we have to go to the podium (that's not bragging - there's only 3 in our class so we have a guaranteed Bronze). I would like to see the rest of the free dances, but will certainly help out for an hour.

Tashakat, FYI, Nicki T is skating at 8.48 am (Bad luck, Nicki!), our Compulsory dances are at 12.13, John F skates at 15.01, our Free Dance is at 15.17 (John, if you dig holes in the ice, I'll not be pleased!), then Batikat goes in the solo compulsories at 16.34 and in the free dance at 19.24. So you have a wide choice of who and when to come and watch - I hope we'll see you!

We have the nicest competition we could possibly hope to have - two other couples, both good friends, and both of whom we do have a remote chance of beating. The Ss will almost definitely win - their free dance is always very strong - but we have beaten them in compulsory dances before now, and might well do so again. We have yet to beat the Ps in compulsory dance, but you never know, this might be the time (we were so close in France!). I don't know about their free dance - from what I've seen, they have more technical content than we do; on the other hand, I have a feeling we skate ours just that much better. It will be very interesting. I won't be surprised if we finish 3rd out of 3 - but at least we have a chance not to, not like some competitions when you see who the opposition is and you know quite well what the result will be before you set skate to ice!

max
09-27-2004, 06:26 AM
Thanks Annabel. I do appreciate it, especially as I think this will just about be when people are getting fed up. Is Robert up for helping on Marking and Checking. You can email me on skateuk@aol.com.

TashaKat
09-27-2004, 08:23 AM
Tashakat, FYI, Nicki T is skating at 8.48 am (Bad luck, Nicki!), our Compulsory dances are at 12.13, John F skates at 15.01, our Free Dance is at 15.17 (John, if you dig holes in the ice, I'll not be pleased!), then Batikat goes in the solo compulsories at 16.34 and in the free dance at 19.24. So you have a wide choice of who and when to come and watch - I hope we'll see you!

It IS the Sunday isn't it?

I'll have to go and see Saffy (the ned) in the morning but should be able to get there for the afternoon (sorry Nicki, I'd love to see you skate) .... unless I watch Nicki, don't ride, just fuss and then come back for you!

It is at the new rink (Ice Sheffield)? Sorry, can't you tell that I'm out of skating at the moment :roll:

Does anybody know if Will and Viv are taking part?

Hope to see you all soon :)

L x

TashaKat
09-27-2004, 08:25 AM
Max, I'm sure that I can help out a bit too! Not sure how much use I'll be but as long as you can give me clear instructions I'm fairly obedient ;)

Mrs Redboots
09-28-2004, 03:38 AM
It IS the Sunday isn't it?Yes.

It is at the new rink (Ice Sheffield)? Sorry, can't you tell that I'm out of skating at the moment :roll: Yes.

Does anybody know if Will and Viv are taking part? Yes.

I mean, yes, they are. Skating straight after us in the Intermediate Couples. Slight nonsense, I gather, as they had entered for the Veterans class but it has come up that they are in the younger age group, 3 couples in that class and only 1 in the Veterans, or Age Group 2 as it is called. So presumably that won't be impossible to change on the day....

max
09-28-2004, 07:16 AM
Thanks TashaKat, Just ask for me at the competition reception desk.

Max

2loop2loop
10-01-2004, 08:42 AM

I'm also skating at 11.00 now. Somehow NISA managed to lose my interp form and didn't enter me for the competition - however I phoned them up and I am on the list now. I'd hate to miss out on this one especially since I've been practicing my interp programme since...uhhh....yesterday :oops: :oops: :oops:

...and whilst 8.48 seems unlucky for Nicki T, George P is going even earlier. I tell you one good thing about going in the masters category is that you always seem to get a sensible time of day to skate.

FWIW 11.00 seems like an unusual time of day for the interp competition, but I don't mind that there will be the chance to get my feet into the ice earlier in the day.

As far as digging holes go, I'd like to point out for the record that I am generally not much of a hole digger anyway, but I don't intend to dig any more holes than are necessary.

John

Mrs Redboots
10-01-2004, 10:34 AM
Well, we're off! See you guys on Sunday - best of luck to all of us.

For the non-British, you can be sure we'll be telling you more about it than you probably wish to know when we get back....

John, I think they messed up on a lot of the entries - at least one dance couple has been entered in the wrong age-group, and so it goes.... Mind you, considering the national governing body of our sport doesn't even employ a part-time Press Officer, can you imagine, I'm not surprised by anything they do.... sigh....:frus:

sk8er1964
10-01-2004, 01:40 PM
For the non-British, you can be sure we'll be telling you more about it than you probably wish to know when we get back....

This Yank has been following this thread with interest! :D

Good luck to all of you, and let us know how it goes!

batikat
10-01-2004, 02:06 PM
See you all in Sheffield - Good Luck to all.

BTW Has anyone else still not recieved any info at all from NISA/Sheffield/organisers regarding their entries? I emailed them and got an emailed timetable etc back but it seems a litle remiss to be 2 days from a major competition with no official word from them.

Mrs Redboots
10-02-2004, 07:22 AM
BTW Has anyone else still not recieved any info at all from NISA/Sheffield/organisers regarding their entries? I emailed them and got an emailed timetable etc back but it seems a litle remiss to be 2 days from a major competition with no official word from them.I know at least one other skater who didn't get anything. But what do you expect from an organisation that purports to be the official governing body of our sport, yet doesn't even employ a press officer (my current peeve - actually, I'm shocked!)!

I'm at the daughter's in York at the moment, still feeling car-sick after a horrendous journey - roadworks, at least one accident, and then we always get lost on the last bit as it's all one way, and talk about feeling car-sick...:mrgreen: