View Full Version : I'm getting new skates which manufacturers are good..

sk8gal07
09-19-2004, 08:49 AM
I'm getting new skates next month A. because my other skates feel too tight and B. because the skates i have now are for like the basic skills 1-7 and i'm going to be on fs4 so i need a better blade and boot. The skates that I have now are Gam 20's and from my experience with them they are SO comfortable and reliable i love them, but other people have told me that riedells are better skates for me :?? . So at this point i dont' know if i should stick with the Gams or maybe try another brand. Does anyone have any advice on what kind of skates to get for my level?

~Thanks =)

CanAmSk8ter
09-19-2004, 11:01 AM
My first thought is that if you like the GAMS, stick with them. My second thought is that if you're only FS4 you're not nearly experienced enough to make those decisions yourself. You absolutely need to get to a reliable skate fitter, be measured properly (especially because if these skates feel tight you may need another size, or maybe just a different width) and see what he/she suggests as far as boots and blades. Any idea why people have suggested Riedells for you?

My other thought is that, if you're the same poster who said in another thread that she doesn't have a coach until November, I would maybe wait until you start with your new coach to deal with new skates. Some coaches have strong feelings about what skates their students are in, and some coaches are also very knowledgable about skates and could be a big help in selecting. At the very least I would talk to the person who is going to be your coach and get his/her input before deciding.

Let us know what you decide! I'm a coach as well as a competing skater, and I'm always interested to hear what other people suggest as far as skates for different levels because I often get asked these same questions by my students' parents!

NickiT
09-19-2004, 04:03 PM
I have Gams (model 065) and I'm very happy with them. Choice of boot is a very personal thing, so it's hard to recommend. I do think that if you find a boot that you are comfortable with then it's wise to stick with it. I don't know much about Reidells so I can't advise there.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
09-20-2004, 04:14 AM
In my experience, people either swear by Gams, or at them! Either they are bedroom slippers from the first day you wear them, or you never get used to them and trade them in for something else.

I belong to the former category - mine must be about six or seven years old now, and I've almost never had a moment's discomfort in them. They have been punched out a couple of times, and I suspect that if this latest bid to lose more than a few pounds is successful I'll have to get another pair, but I would certainly ask for "the mixture as before".

Incidentally, I've no idea what model mine are, but I've always loved them. Not one blister, not one rub, not ever.

sk8gal07
09-28-2004, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Since my gams have never let me down i have decided to stick with the brand and upgrade to the GAM 24's.
~thanks

fadi
09-28-2004, 11:57 AM
How do you know what level you are in? what does FS4 mean? How can I rate myself?

Mrs Redboots
09-28-2004, 12:02 PM
How do you know what level you are in? what does FS4 mean? How can I rate myself?They are standard test levels in the USA, I believe in the ISI Learn-to-Skate programme. FS4 is really quite a high level - I am not quite sure what it involves, but certainly Sk8gal07 is not a beginner!

When you are ready to start lessons, either in a group or privately, you will be trained firstly in the very basic skills - moving forwards and backwards, stopping, getting up after a fall, that sort of stuff, and gradually work upwards. Any learn-to-skate programme sanctioned by an official body has basic tests, normally administered by the teacher in the lesson. Then, when those have been completed, you move up to the standard tests that all skaters have taken, even the really top-class ones. And you gradually work your way through those. Each national organisation has slightly different requirements, so the levels don't match exactly. Plus the USFSA also offers an adult training programme, where the tests are slightly less stringent than they are for standard skaters.

fadi
09-28-2004, 12:05 PM
I see... thanks for the quick reply!

I feel that Mrs Redboots is one of those skaters we see on TV during the olympics or some high level international competitions.

Only wish I could recognize you when I see you on TV :P hehe maybe the only one with redbots?

Mrs Redboots
09-28-2004, 03:52 PM
I see... thanks for the quick reply!We happened to be on-line (I nearly typed "on the ice") at the same time.

I feel that Mrs Redboots is one of those skaters we see on TV during the olympics or some high level international competitions.I wish! No, I'm just an overweight, incompetent, unathletic adult skater - but I have great fun with it.

Thin-Ice
09-29-2004, 03:02 AM
No-no-no-no-no-no-no!!! You can't be unathletic and a skater. We are all athletes if we work at this sport -- just some are more gifted athletes than the rest of us. I decided to adopt that attitude after going to a competition several years ago at the Pickwick Rink in Burbank, CA. There were signs throughout the rink saying "No Smoking. Athletes in Training". THAT was the moment I realized "Hey that's ME they're talking about! I AM an athlete-in-training"! It was a breakthrough for me, since I was always the family klutz (any reason "lutz" is buried in that word?) and could trip over a chalk line on the sidewalk.

So we may be a lot of other things.. but we are NOT unathletic! :idea:

Mrs Redboots
09-29-2004, 06:34 AM
No-no-no-no-no-no-no!!! You can't be unathletic and a skater. We are all athletes if we work at this sport -- just some are more gifted athletes than the rest of us.True, I suppose - but after nearly 10 years' training, I'm still preliminary/pre-Bronze level, so it's taking me a lot longer than most.... still, it's fun, it's exercise, and it isn't boring the way most other exercise is. And competing is the most fun you can have with your clothes on, if you ask me!

sk8gal07
10-10-2004, 09:06 AM
How do you know what level you are in? what does FS4 mean? How can I rate myself?

FS 4 or Freeskate 4 is one of the Freestyle levels in usfsa . The freestyle levels come after you pass all of the basics. You know what level you're on depending on all the levels you have passed until then.

3ggi3
10-24-2004, 12:24 AM
Grafs fall apart
I have had a lot of trouble with mine!

sk8er7
10-24-2004, 12:44 AM
I have rydell1500's and i love them, there so comfortable, i had them heat molded to my feet, and have not had a bit of trouble since!!! :D

lisalockwood
10-24-2004, 09:55 PM
I have Jackson Competitor skates. I would recommend Jackson over Riedell because several people have said that the Jackson Competitors are about the same as the Riedell Silver Star which cost more. Moreover, I had a pair of Riedell skates and they broke down really fast. But don't let that influence you because it probably wasn't a good enough model for my level. And, besides, I got Jackson Freestyle (not good enough) and they broke down in 3 1/2 months (instead of 2 1/2) :evil: .

What pair of skates would you recommend for a 12 year-old girl in Freestyle 5 (ISI) and working on a double loop?

Sasha Cohen is the best! :bow:

I am looking for an email pal about my level! My email address is lisalockwood@direcway.com.

Lisa :D

thedman
10-24-2004, 10:43 PM
graf boot and graf platnium blades

3ggi3
10-24-2004, 11:55 PM
graf boot and graf platnium blades

i have graf edmonton specials and graf diamond blades
so many skaters have been having trouble with graf
the lasts have been faulty and the heels of many pairs come apart months after purchase
i just recently got my second pair in two months
you are probably wondering why i didn't switch but I didn't find it resourceful to switch boot styles weeks before competition

~shasta~
10-26-2004, 05:38 PM
i personally love and swear by my Harlick skating boots... :bow: I have had SO MUCH TROUBLE with Riedell and S.P.-teri's.
The Harlick boot company is a family business that makes quality skating boots and roller skating boots. They are based in California but also come to many big competitions in the U.S.
i am very pleased with my current skating boots from them. Yay for harlick!!
__________________________________________________ _______________

Belbin and Augusto are the GREATEST. :bow:

lil-sk8r-chick5
11-02-2004, 05:51 PM
i have grafs.. i find them very good... but, mine are starting to fall apart...(but thats because there old), about 3 ppl has used them b4 i have.... i find them very good skates... and i HATE gams.... i really dont like the feel to them... the last pair i had of them... fell apart!

LittleBitSk8er
11-03-2004, 07:56 PM
The boot should depend on your foot, weight and level, so I have been told. My daughter has had Riedells and they worked out great. She tried the S.P. Terri and they did not work for her abut 6 months. No, her foot did not grow out of it. He constant complaint was that her toes were cramped. Therefore, we went back to the Riedell boots. She had major blade mounting problems, her blades kept falling off during jumps. Grr

So now we just ordered the Klingbouh (did I even come close to spelling that one right?) The reason is my daughter’s height of her foot, or girth. Is thick and the Riedells are not strong enough for her jumps, as the S.P. Terris do not accommodate that part of her foot well.

Like other posters have said check with your coach and a reputable boot fitter. They will be best to answer all you questions. If you still are not sure pay the fitting fee and see what a few boot fitters have to say.

luna_skater
11-03-2004, 08:44 PM
So now we just ordered the Klingbouh (did I even come close to spelling that one right?)

Klingbeil. :)