View Full Version : Advice Needed- Finding a Coach

eliao
07-31-2002, 12:18 PM
I've been a longtime lurker from the FSW days, and I thought I'd finally post. I'm finally trying to commit myself to taking private lessons and finding an appropriate coach. I've been skating mainly recreationally for 7 years now, and have no formal training other than a year and a half of on and off group lessons. My skating has hit a standstill, and I really need some formal guidance from a coach who has the patience for an adult skater (I'm 29) who has developed a pile of bad habits teaching herself how to spin and jump all these years.

Any advice as to how to approach a coach? Which questions to ask? I would have hired my group lessons coach, but there's been lots of coaching turnover at the rinks in my area, and I have no idea where to begin looking.

Thanks for listening.

Emily

garyc254
07-31-2002, 02:45 PM
Welcome Emily. Glad to have you on board. :D

The best suggestion is to talk to others at your rinks about their coaches.

Ask them what they like and dislike about their coaches.

Watch and listen to a coach give a lesson to another skater.

A good coach will let you take a trial lesson without committing to them long term. Or they'll let you join in on one of their group lessons for a trial run.

The hardest thing I dealt with was trying to schedule available lesson time around my work schedule.

I prefer a coach with experience :wink: (in other words, over 35). They are less likely to move out of town or miss lessons. That's not to say younger coaches are bad as I know several that are terrific and stable.

When I started skating last year, I took private lessons from the beginning. I've never regretted it.

Gary

eliao
07-31-2002, 03:01 PM
Thank you for the kind welcome and your reply, Gary. All of your advice was really helpful. I just need to find some time aside from work to get out to the rinks in my area and just observe and interview a few coaches. Hopefully, like you said, they will agree to a trial run. Hiring a private coach is such a significant investment, it would be a shame being stuck with a coach I couldn't get along with!

Emily

garyc254
07-31-2002, 04:23 PM
Fortunately, you don't have to sign a contract with coaches.

Good coaches are always in demand and are used to students taking lessons for a while, then dropping. They are realistic and know that skating is recreation for us. Work and home will always be our main concerns.

A good coach can fill a lesson slot with little problem.

If you do end up with a coach you can't get along with, don't be afraid to change coaches.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Gary

dani
07-31-2002, 05:32 PM
The good news is that at your level the "skill" level of the coach is not that important. In other words, you don't need a coach that can teach you a double axel. In fact, that would likely not be a good match.

I would pick a coach that has been coaching a while and that you personally like. Also, I picked my dance coach for the simple reason is that he is the only male dance coach in my area and I was looking for someone I could skate with. In other words, talk with the prospective coach. Watch them give a lesson from two perspectives, first, can you understand what they are explaining (or how or whatever). The second thing is the interaction between the coach and the student.

Another suggestion might be to take another series of group lessons and decide who you like. At my rink, there are three teachers that teach on the ice at the same time. We have two adult classes and a jump and spin class. I am in the J&S class even though I am an adult. Actually we have three of us now.

Just a couple of thoughts. Welcome and good luck!!!

Hugs,
Danielle

Mariposa
07-31-2002, 05:34 PM
What I would do is watch the other adult skaters and ask the ones who skate well with good technique who their coach is. I've been in your shoes and agonized far too long over choosing just the right coach, or being too intimidated to ask the coaches I really wanted to skate with for a lesson. Don't be shy! And make sure that you get exactly the coach you want, because like you said it is quite expensive to have a private coach.

sk8pics
07-31-2002, 05:47 PM
While I agree that you don't necessarily need a coach who can teach you double axels, you still should pick the coach that's not only a good match in terms of personality, but also good technically and with experience. I found my main coach through group classes, and started taking 15 minute private lessons with him while still in group classes. (It snowballed from there, but that's another story.) I told him some time later that I hadn't thought I was good enough to take from him, and his response was (after he stopped laughing), "Nah, I teach anybody." I'm lucky in that all 3 of my coaches (1 main, 2 back up or semi-regular) do well teaching adults and take me very seriously, and they suffer right along with me when I'm struggling with something.

I do know of some people who teach private lessons who really don't have high enough technical skills or experience, and bad habits can be really tough to break. So don't shortchange yourself just because you're an adult.

Pat

eliao
07-31-2002, 06:56 PM
Wow, thanks for all your advice, everyone. I guess choosing a coach is quite a personal decision. I've been reading everyone's advice and it's really forced me to think about what I need to look for in a coach. I do agree with everyone that a personality match is really important. I like the idea of enrolling in some group sessions again to give me the opportunity to evaluate some different coaches in the area. I am lucky that I have 4 rinks within comfortable driving distance to me. I'll check into adult sessions for each one and keep you all posted. Thanks again, everyone!

Emily

Artistic Skaters
07-31-2002, 08:50 PM
Once you have narrowed down your list, check resumes & references. If you can, speak to skaters who no longer take lessons with them as well as those who currently do.

icenut84
08-01-2002, 11:16 AM
Welcome to the board Emily! :)
You're so lucky to have 4 rinks within comfortable driving distance! The rink I skate at, the nearest one, is an hour's drive each way.
I agree with the others that enrolling in group classes again is a good way to see what the different coaches are like and who you like. Personality matches are important, and you want someone nice who you think you could get along with. Also, when you are evaluating each coach, make note of the way they are with all the students in the class. You'll probably find that there are some coaches who will say "Do this" and then not really explain it or correct someone who is having problems or doing it wrong. Good coaches will help you individually, make suggestions to help you if it doesn't work or you're doing it wrong, things like that. Also, sometimes you have a coach who does the same thing, week in week out. And there are others who have more variety in the lessons, and who teach different things and different sequences etc. I guess most of it's personal preference.

Rachel

sk8rzmom
08-06-2002, 06:04 PM
As the parent of a skater, I just want to tell you not to pick a rink for it's convenience and just because you know everyone. Most places are friendly and you'll get to know people everywhere. I've see too many families who are afraid to branch out and keep sticking to who and what they know, when they could be a lot happier elsewhere. And if you can drive , you can get to wherever you decide, not like a kid who is stuck with a parent behind the wheel!

Mrs Redboots
08-07-2002, 11:09 AM
Hi, Emily (same name as my daughter!) and welcome. Are there other adult skaters at your rink? If so, ask them who they take from, and then go to that coach and ask whether you may have a trial lesson with them. Alternatively, was there anybody you specially liked when you did group lessons? If so, find out if they are still around, and book a lesson with them. Don't be afraid to book trial lessons with several coaches - we all learn differently, and one coach's style of teaching might not suit your style of learning, although that doesn't mean you won't learn anything from them!

Once you have settled with one coach, by the way, it is considered bad form to take lessons from anyone else without your coach's knowledge and consent. The best coaches team teach anyway, and will refer you to someone else if they need to for certain aspects of your training. Mine always likes me to go to as many seminars and workshops as I can, and encourages me to have "holiday lessons" when I'm away: "Heaven knows, you need as many lessons as you can get!"

This is one addictive sport, by the way - you start off with one lesson a week, and end up with five.... or more.... oh dear....

Chico
08-07-2002, 10:21 PM
Hi Emily =-) My advice is to watch. Which skaters draw your attention, who has the skills you want and presentation you admire? Watch the coaches. How do they coach their students? How do they skate? Coaches coach what they present for the most part. Listen to your skating peers and skating "moms". What do you hear about the coaches? Are they responsible, professional, and positive for example? Don't make this your total determing factor, but keep this "stuff" in mind. If "everyone" says someone is bad about showing up for lessons you may want to consider this. Think about what YOU want in a coach and observe and listen. Coaches are individuals and they all have their unique strengths and "weaknesses". Think and watch long and hard because picking a coach is a big decision. This person plays a big part in how you skate and how you feel about yourself as a skater. Your coach will be your friend, teacher, cheerleader, and skating "parent". Remember this when you decide. Picking a coach isn't really hard, but changing coaches is nasty. Choose wisely,

Chico

Good luck. One thing I love about my coach is that I'm always his student. Even on my non lesson days if he sees something that needs to fixed or pushed harder he screams across the rink at me. Ditto with positives.