View Full Version : coaching Bills

spinningtiger
09-15-2004, 04:01 PM
Hi i am a new coach and i am wondering what other people are doing to keep track of everything? like you make you bills out and how do you keep a copy for your self ? I think photocoping is a waste?
any ways ...... any ideas welcome !

Perry
09-15-2004, 05:21 PM
All of my coaches keep track of their bills in special legal pads that have two sheets of paper for every bill. When you write on the top sheet, its thin enough that it goes through to the bottom. That way, you can keep a copy for yourself.

CeeCee
09-15-2004, 06:19 PM
I keep all my notes in a small daily planner. I write the students name, lesson time (30 mins, 45, ect) and payment status. For music edits and competitions I keep track in the same book after I give them the written copy.
Hope this helps.

spinningtiger
09-15-2004, 09:39 PM
ok well I think i have found a way of printing them off and doing them on the computer and then just burn it on a disk for back up any ways on another note........... in your club do coaches children pay for Ice time?

Blosmbubbs
09-15-2004, 10:24 PM
My students would pay me either ahead of time or at each lesson. My coach would keep a calander with our lessons and put a note on what we owed her.

Mrs Redboots
09-16-2004, 04:32 AM
in your club do coaches children pay for Ice time?I don't think so, but wouldn't swear to it.

As for keeping track of things, my coach has some kind of diary, in which he notes who has paid what up to when, so that if someone pays their patch fees six months in advance, for instance, he makes a note of that and when they are due to pay again.

You really do need to keep accurate records, for tax purposes; it might be worth employing an accountant - perhaps another coach at your rink could recommend someone?

AshBugg44
09-16-2004, 04:54 PM
ok well I think i have found a way of printing them off and doing them on the computer and then just burn it on a disk for back up any ways on another note........... in your club do coaches children pay for Ice time?

Nope, not at my rink.

Isk8NYC
09-16-2004, 10:50 PM
We don't use "bills" here, students pay at each lesson or once a week, etc. I write the lesson entry in my calendar, just to keep track of it. Our rink has a commission worksheet that we record lessons on for commission purposes.

If you need two copies, how about going to an office-supply store and buying a small rent or cash receipt book that has carbonless copies? They're inexpensive and handy to have on hand.

twokidsskatemom
09-17-2004, 01:31 AM
One of the coaches here has a punchcard, after each lesson they punch the card.
We just pay our kids coach every two weeks,when dh gets paid. Works for us.We trust the coach, she trusts us.We had Jill shipstad Thomas up here last week for some kids, my dd had lessons from her.We paid her at the end of the week, just like our regular coach.

lotusland
09-17-2004, 10:50 AM
We used to get hand written carbonized invoices for coaching bills, but for the last 6 or 7 years all the coaches I know do their bills on the computer. Typically each coach keeps track of each student's lessons in a daytimer of some sort (at the rink) and then transfers the info to their computer for billing. Also, most parents I know keep track of when, where, how many of what, and cross-check it to the coach's bill when they get it.

My favourite program works like this:

Billed either 2X a month or 1X a month, each billing period is a separate bill.
Dates ( 1- 31) across the top, and the disciplines down the side, e.g. freeskate, dance, stroking, etc. with a special section for items that are charged differently such as competions, music, choreography etc. Under each date the coach indicates how many lessons you received and in what discipline(s), e.g. under the 2nd you got 1 freeskate, under the 4th you got 2 freeskates and 1 stroking etc. Each discipline adds up across the page and totals on the right hand side. Items that lesson fees apply to are sub-totalled and multiplied, then any special fees are sub-totalled. The two sub-totalls are added and voila ... one whopper of a bill. :lol:

I like this system because you can keep track of exactly how many lessons the skater gets in each discipline. Its especially helpful if $$$ becomes an issue and you are trying to stick to a budget, you can decide where to add or delete lessons.

Hope this helps :)