View Full Version : Collegiate Skating

Perry
09-13-2004, 02:45 PM
Does any do it? Has any one done it? Does any one have any knowledge about it whatsoever?

I'm a junior in high school this year. A hip injury ruined my dreams of every really achieving what I want in skating (mainly since it sidelined me for what look like it will turn into the better part of three or four years), but before my injury I had a double axel and triple salchow, both of which I could probably get back once my hip is a little better. I'm one test away from my gold medal in both dance and freestyle.

I'm thinking about possibly competing collegiate in college. Do you think skating would help me get in to interested schools (such as Dartmouth)? And is collegiate skating worth it?

RoaringSkates
09-13-2004, 03:18 PM
I used to work in university admissions. I think that skating will help you get into schools, if you've worked at it and been devoted to it. If the school has a varsity skating team, and you are good enough to get a place on it, it will help even more. You could call admissions at the schools you're interested in and ask them to give you the contact info for the coach. This is a normal request, so don't be shy. You can then contact the coach directly and ask about skating there, admissions, etc.

Quite a few universities have varsity skating teams.

Even if you don't compete on a team, having something that you've been so devoted to on your application will certainly help, especially if you can talk about it in one of your essays.

CeeCee
09-13-2004, 03:37 PM
I am a coach and have two students that have been involved in Collegiate Skating. I'll ask them to check out your post and respond. I can tell you they both have enjoyed the experience. It really helped them make friends and feel comfortable in a new area.
Good luck.

Skatewind
09-14-2004, 10:41 AM
Collegiate skating is growing every year. A lot of colleges now sponsor skating teams comprised of skaters of all different levels who do team competitions at various events. Synchro skating is another option. It also sounds like you might be a good candidate for Collegiate National Championships, which has Junior & Senior Ladies FS events. If you would like to continue to skating throughout college, it's definitely a good avenue to pursue that will give you a chance to meet other students & have fun too.

sk8er1964
09-14-2004, 12:12 PM
A couple of girls I skate with skate for the University of Michigan. One's a Novice, and the other a Junior. The Junior's been to collegiate nationals. They both seem to enjoy it - they go to several competitions at other colleges, and are working on testing.