View Full Version : Swizzle exercise

Mrs Redboots
09-08-2004, 06:00 AM
My coach has got hold of this book called "Conditioning for Figure Skaters" and, as I mentioned on the lessons/practice thread, he has started me, and some of his other skaters, on the on-ice aerobic exercises. One of them, though, is unclear, as it calls for "swizzle, swizzle, swizzle, dip jump".

Now, my coach reads that as what we call "lemons" (i.e. feet moving apart on BI edges and then back together again. Is this correct?

Not that it matters, as he's substituted back slaloms into a dip jump for his skaters (I can't really do that, it's scary, but fun!), but we just wondered what the original exercise would have been.

angelskates
09-08-2004, 06:33 AM
Mrs Redboots, I have the book, it's been great for me, especially the drill sheets (like the one you refer to). I don't know what "lemons" are, but I THINK they are swizzles, since swizzles are the shape od lemons! Swizzles are as you describe, toes point out on inside edges (forwards or backwards) then go back together.

Very useful off-ice stuff in that book too.

jenlyon60
09-08-2004, 07:15 AM
My guess is that it's a "bend the knees and jump with 2 feet from backwards to forwards and land with 2 feet" jump.

I've seen the kids from our stroking/conditioning class do something like that out of 2-foot slaloms. Both directions, forward to back and backwards to forwards. It's sort of like a jumped 2-foot rocker.

Mrs Redboots
09-08-2004, 07:34 AM
Thanks. Here, the kids are made to jump up in the direction they're going (this is backwards), then land facing straight back, so it's a sort of 1/4 or 1/8 revolution turn. When I try, I just sort of clatter my skates on the ice.... but then, my back slaloms aren't what they should be.....

Angelskates, the kids were doing off-ice drills when I left the rink! I am going to enjoy the aerobic exercises, though - but back power circles are EVIL.....