View Full Version : Improv skating event

NoVa Sk8r
09-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Has anyone ever competed in an "Improvisational Skating" event?

The Halloween Classic is offering it. Basically, the skater creates an impromptu program using music chosen by a committee. Music is payed twice on the warmup, then skaters are ostracized before skating. Judges grade on choreography, originality, and showmanship.

I'm very interested in doing this (Loops thinks my hamming it up on ice has finally found an outlet!). But I am scared, er, iceless, doing this. Has anyone done this event? What can I expect?

mskater
09-07-2004, 11:43 AM
I knew some skaters that used to compete this event in ISI competitions and they all loved it. If anyone can pull it off it would be you! Just pick your elements in advance so that all you'll have to come up with on the spot will be the "glue":]

NoVa Sk8r
09-07-2004, 11:47 AM
Spirit of Paul Wylie, don't fail me now!

Actually, the hardest part might be bringing an appropriate skating costume. :)

mskater
09-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Hmmm, guess you could go with the "blank" all black costume in which you could paint any picture with:] An all black costume would also be in line with what Paul Wylie would deem appropriate attire;]

NoVa Sk8r
09-07-2004, 12:06 PM
But I think I may be too attached to skating in rhinestones. But you're right, simple, but elegant, is the way to go--"Paint It Black"!

LoopLoop
09-07-2004, 12:43 PM
But I think I may be too attached to skating in rhinestones.

Uh-oh, I think I've created a monster. 8O

skaternum
09-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Please, I beg you, don't wear all black! It's so ... Adult Skaterly. I'm waging a one woman campaign to stamp out black on the ice at adult competitions. It always looks like a funeral when adults skate. Color! Don't be afraid!

phillyskater
09-07-2004, 01:13 PM
I might be able to add a little insight here. I was the one who made sure the Board offered this event at the Halloween Classic, based on what I've seen (and done) at other competitions. I was really nervous the first time I did it too, but then realized that it was the most fun I had at the competition. As long as you have a couple of elements picked out in advance, the rest is really fun and stress-free (I promise!) :)

As for the event at the HC, there will probably be 2 or 3 different pieces of music cut into 1:40 so that the skater has an opportunity to create several different expressions. For example, in the last Improv event I did, the first piece was the theme song from the t.v. show "Dallas", the second piece was a new age kind-of slower piece (perfect for spirals, spread eagles, ina bauers) and the last piece was disco. It's actually easier with more than one type of music because just when you run out of expressive ideas and moves, the music changes and you get to start over. So that's what we're shooting for at the HC.

Hope that helps!
philly

NoVa Sk8r
09-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Thank you so much for mentioning this. I thought I was the only one who thought this. I mean, everyone in my event at Peach was wearing plain black/white, and then I come out with a tight red shirt bedecked in 150 rhinestones! I promise lots of color in Aston--maybe even an orange garment for Halloween!

Please, I beg you, don't wear all black! It's so ... Adult Skaterly. I'm waging a one woman campaign to stamp out black on the ice at adult competitions. It always looks like a funeral when adults skate. Color! Don't be afraid!

Mrs Redboots
09-07-2004, 02:54 PM
Please, I beg you, don't wear all black! It's so ... Adult Skaterly. I'm waging a one woman campaign to stamp out black on the ice at adult competitions. It always looks like a funeral when adults skate. Color! Don't be afraid!We were more or less instructed to, the only improvisation class I've ever done.

It was fun, but I don't think I'll do another one - all the elements that worked so well listening to the music in the cloakroom, and worked pretty well in the warm-up, totally abandoned me during the actual performance. Sigh..... But it is very popular, and a lot of people had a go at the Mountain Cup this year.

Terri C
09-07-2004, 04:42 PM
I promise lots of color in Aston--maybe even an orange garment for Halloween!

Now that the women wearing pants rule was passed at last spring's GC, I may be wearing a jumpsuit for Improv in Philly!

TimDsk879
09-07-2004, 04:46 PM
I would love to enter that event. Sounds interesting. I hope they pick a good piece of music :P

batikat
09-07-2004, 05:14 PM
I've done an improv event in the Uk but it sounds slightly different to yours. We were told in advance what elements could be included (these were strictly limited eg at lowest level it was 2 spins and 1 jump (toe-loop or salchow)). You could do any connecting moves you liked so drags/ina bauers/spreadeagles etc step sequences or anything from the field moves type steps are all useful.

We had 15 mins to listen to the music in a changing room and then they take the music away and you go out one by one to perform. I always seem to end up last so don't get to see anyone elses'.

As you dont know what music you might get, they stipulated a dress code of something fairly simple but if you like rhinestone shirts then go for it!

It helps if you have a few things worked out before hand like a few starting and ending moves - maybe even a step sequence. I think some people more or less have a programme planned and just alter the character of the movements to fit the music. I havent' managed to do that yet - and it seems like cheating!!!! My main problem both times I have done this event in Open comps is getting so carried away with the connecting moves I run out of time for the elements - big mistake if like ours the elements are restricted!!!!! :lol: The last time I missed the music cue for where I was going to put the sit spin and suddenly realised the music was ending , rushed into the spin and of course fell straight out of it! Ah well!

It was nerve-wracking but fun in a masochistic sort of way.

mskater
09-07-2004, 08:15 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for adding a little color wherever it's needed:] I mentioned an all black costume b/c if everyone in this event wore, all black, the judges would not be distracted/influenced by what the skater was wearing and I think that would help level the playing field. Besides, I'd hate to see someone show up for this event in a brown leather tunic only to find out he or she would be interpreting Abba's "Dancing Queen" :]

TimDsk879
09-07-2004, 08:18 PM
Does anybody know what music pieces they have played in the past? Not just peach classic competition, others as well. ;)

skaternum
09-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Peach Classic hasn't done this event.

In other comps I've been to, the improv music was all over the place. Classical, movie soundtrack, opera, jazz, you name it. You never know what you'll get.

Debbie S
09-07-2004, 10:29 PM
At Wilmington, there were 3 pieces mixed together: "Landslide" (Stevie Nicks version), one song that I'm completely blanking on, but I'm sure it will come to me soon, and "Respect" (Aretha Franklin).

NoVa Sk8r
09-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Thanks folks. Now I know what I'd be getting myself into. I don't really know if I can even do this event since I don't think I can even get to the comp till saturday (I think the event starts on friday) and I'm thinking of entering 4 other events. My improv would be coming from a very belabored person, so I'd hope for the Work Song (chain gang) from Les Miz, the Heigh-Ho! song from Snow White, and maybe You Better Work from RuPaul. Now that would be some improv!

skatingatty
09-08-2004, 01:58 PM
Improv events can be fun, but nerve-wracking too. I entered the event once at the Central Carolina Classic 2003 and won, wearing a generic dark blue velvet dress. The music was a snippet from 'Carmen,' and they let us listen to the music twice in the dressing room, then twice on the warm-up. I remember the panicky feeling I got when the warm-up went by in a jiffy and it was time to get out there and perform. This year, I didn't enter the event, but the music was "What a Wonderful World." That would've been less stressful had I entered it, b/c last year my showcase program was to that same piece of music, plus a bit of "Big Yellow Taxi." I was a tree, wearing a brown unitard and a green afro. Ok, maybe I am a little crazy.... Many people didn't get what I was. :lol: Adult skating lets us be kids again.

NoVa Sk8r
09-08-2004, 02:08 PM
YOU ROCK! (or should I say, "You tree!" >:^]) :bow:

I'm all about being a kid.

I was a tree, wearing a brown unitard and a green afro. Ok, maybe I am a little crazy.... Many people didn't get what I was. :lol: Adult skating lets us be kids again.

Azlynn
09-10-2004, 09:08 PM
This used to be offered all the time at our local competitions. It was my favorite to enter, and where I had my best results. It's such a relaxing and fun class. Biggest thing - pay attention to where the changes come in the music. And the end! I'd suggest a neutral costume - we had that rule that if you brought something special you had to be willing to share it with everyone else.

It's a wonderful event that allows skaters to shine.

MQSeries
09-11-2004, 02:02 PM

I think being understated, even boring, especially for the typical adult body, is always the better route to go than being loud, even bordering on the obnoxious.

NCSkater02
09-12-2004, 05:55 PM

I wore black for compulsaries only. I had made it to test in (haven't yet.) I wore a dark aqua (it was called "lake" on the fabric bolt) for my free skate. Next year, I want purple or lavender for one, and blue for the other. I haven't decided which.

Anti-black enough for you? ;)

skaternum
09-12-2004, 06:55 PM
Color need not be loud, garish, nor obnoxious. I didn't suggest skating dressed as a clown. :) But color can be your friend. It can emphasize the music, bring out your skin tones, etc.

NCSkater02, sounds great!