View Full Version : Peach Classic - Results/News/Gossips?

jazzpants
09-04-2004, 07:16 PM
Hey you guys!!! Hope you all are kicking butt (or at least not getting pelted by bras and panties...) :twisted:

How about some news??? How did skaternum do today?

Terri C
09-04-2004, 07:20 PM
Yes, please anyone that is online from Atlanta, any gossip/ results would be appreciated!!

Stormy
09-04-2004, 09:58 PM
Well, I just got back from Peach. What FUN!!! If you post specific events, I can try and remember results. There was a huge banner/sign made out of panties and bras, lots of vodka nips flying onto the ice and lots of good good skating. Wish my trip could have been longer, but I had a BLAST. :)

jazzpants
09-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Well, I just got back from Peach. What FUN!!! If you post specific events, I can try and remember results. There was a huge banner/sign made out of panties and bras, lots of vodka nips flying onto the ice and lots of good good skating. Wish my trip could have been longer, but I had a BLAST. :)Silver Ladies Freestyle II - Group A
Silver Jumps II
Gold MIF
Adult Gold Pairs
Adult Silver Pairs
Silver Men Freestyle
Masters Men (or Ladies) Freestyle
Adult Bronze Ladies II (either group... I just wanna know what elements they're doing these days at the Bronze level.) :P

Yeap! Underwear phantom strikes again!!! :twisted: :lol:

Stormy
09-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Silver Ladies Freestyle II - Group A
Silver Jumps II
Gold MIF
Adult Gold Pairs
Adult Silver Pairs
Silver Men Freestyle
Masters Men (or Ladies) Freestyle
Adult Bronze Ladies II (either group... I just wanna know what elements they're doing these days at the Bronze level.) :P

Yeap! Underwear phantom strikes again!!! :twisted: :lol:

Ok, to the best of my knowledge, the events I know-

Gold MIF- Lisa Chisholm won.
Silver Men's FS- David Tsai, Steven (Last name is escaping me), Rob Lichtefeld, Bill Papineau
Master's Mens- Davin Grindstaff, Chad Vinson- Both had GREAT skates!!
Master's Ladies- Amy Entwistle, Cheryl Bushnell (two people scratched)

flutzilla1
09-04-2004, 11:09 PM
I have friends who competed in Pre-Bronze I, Bronze I and Silver I. Do you remember the name(s) of any of the medalists?

Thank you so much and I am so glad you had a great time and got home safely! How was the weather going when you left?

sk8er1964
09-04-2004, 11:28 PM
Silver Men's FS- David Tsai, Steven (Last name is escaping me), Rob Lichtefeld, Bill Papineau

I'll bet Bill had the most fun! :D

Story - I tried to help him at AN. He was concerned on his warm up about his back. So, I told him "go try a waltz jump and see how it feels". He did an axel :roll: . Then he did another one. 8O . Then he landed it for the first time in competition :D 8-) . Ornery cuss. :bow:

vesperholly
09-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Pfff - how did STORMY do?!?!?!?!?! :D

Stormy
09-05-2004, 08:42 AM
Uhh, well, Stormy surprisingly won Silver I, won Silver MIF (WITH THE RIGHT MOVES!!) and got 2nd in Silver Jumps.
Silver I was me, Jenny Kenski, Judy Tseng, Jenny Baker, Theresa Neilsen.

The weather was fine, sunny and warm, no signs of the hurricane.
:)

Mrs Redboots
09-05-2004, 09:39 AM
Ornery cuss. :bow:Only guy I've ever met who can lift me - not that he tried it on-ice, mind you.....

Terri C
09-05-2004, 12:12 PM
Hey Stormy,
Two questions here:
1. What did the Pre Bronze ladies do ? I'm competing in Philly and want to make sure that my program is in line with everyone else's!

2. How did the adult pairs do?

Oh and by the way, that Steven guy you were referring to that got 2nd is Silver Men is known to all of us on the board as NoVaSk8er!

Stormy
09-05-2004, 03:56 PM
Hey Stormy,
Two questions here:
1. What did the Pre Bronze ladies do ? I'm competing in Philly and want to make sure that my program is in line with everyone else's!

2. How did the adult pairs do?

Oh and by the way, that Steven guy you were referring to that got 2nd is Silver Men is known to all of us on the board as NoVaSk8er!

Yep, I knew he was NovaSk8er. :)

Pre Bronze Ladies I didn't really see as I was getting ready. Pairs were all good. Gold Pairs was Sargent/Mata (nice speed and good throw axel), Drum/Tremblay (didn't see). Silver Pairs was Grim/Trzaska and Bill Papineau and his partner whose name I can't recall. :)

flutzilla1
09-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Congrats Stormy! Well done! :)

mskater
09-05-2004, 09:20 PM
Got in a few hours ago and now that I've retrieved my dog (long-LONG story that I won't bore anyone with) I can't wait to share my thoughts and experiences from the Peach...especially since they're still fresh in my mind:] (Oh, btw, that emoticon is for you Nova;] ...that one too!

I thought I'd break things up into "highlights" and "highly-forgettables".

HIGHLIGHTS:

-Skating my first clean program since 1999 and landing a double lutz in competition for the first time ever!!
-Deciding at the last minute to stay an extra night and attend the competitor's party which was "off the chain";]
-Imbibing and unwinding with friends and lip synching to the cover band's version of Hole's "Make Me Over".
-Catching up with friends I don't get to see very often and making new ones.

HIGHLY-FORGETTABLES:
-Getting "busted" trying to sneak onto a public session w/out paying :roll: Which I justified doing since I had missed a pre-paid practice earlier in the morning but WHATEVERRRR:]
-Getting a bit too tipsy at the after party and voguing with one of Skaternum's grass skirts.
-Spiking the oversized beach ball into the overhead light defuser causing it to come off it's hinges and give everyone a real scare
:halo: Again, not my fault, it was simply an act of self defense:]
-Just about every single camel spin I did while in GA;]
-No Vesper:( Hope to see you at Sectionals!

Stormy, you were so impressive this weekend and I'm so glad we got to hang out again...see you in DC??

Nova, thanks for keeping me laughing like the whole weekend...you really are too much:]

Loops, so glad we got to meet and I'm already looking forward to DC...but seriously, haven't we met before??;]

Nova and Loops, I still can't believe you hit the "Pamchenko" when it counted, I think that's what sealed the victory for you guys ;)

Skaternum, you are crazy...crazy-beautiful that is; um, will you marry me? Seriously, I'm your biggest fan!

All I can say is Adult Skating Rocks!! Can't wait for next year's Peach...I'm coming equipped with a cow bell and fog horn this time...

TimDsk879
09-05-2004, 09:28 PM
I competed at Adult Gold Men's. Got the bronze :roll: I did deserve it with my performance.
Overall it was a good learning experience for me.

Tim David

skatingatty
09-05-2004, 09:41 PM
Hi everyone! It was great to see both familiar and new faces at Peach. I got to meet Stormy for the 1st time- she is a great skater, and I will have to rewatch my video to see her skate. Actually, I am STILL in Atlanta, b/c my car crashed on the side of I-85 about 20 mins. after I left the Ice Forum. I think a tire must've blown out, b/c my car started swerving out of control at about 75-79 mph and I hit a batch of trees. I have a lot to be thankful for-- that no one was in the car w/me, that I didn't hit other cars, and I had my seatbelt on and got out with a skinned elbow and some minor marks from the seatbelt. Oh yeah, despite being thrown in disarray, all my skating clothes and skates are intact too. :) Luckily I was no longer wearing my hermaphrodite skating outfit and had washed the makeup off too. :lol: A good Samaritan quickly stopped and let me use his cell phone to call AAA, and the fire dept. and police came soon too. Waiting for the tow truck took forever, and the police officer drove me to a gas station. My brother was home (in Dunwoody) and drove out to get me. Car rental places are all closed tomorrow (except the ones at the airport), and the costs would be as much as a place ticket, so I will be flying back to NC tomorrow. I think that's the last time I'll drive to Atlanta or any place far from home now. Gotta buy a new car too, and probably no skating this week. Sigh.

Getting back to Peach, I didn't see the pre-Bronze ladies skate. Maybe the results will be on the GA FSC website soon? Becca Guthrie won the Silver II jumps, landing a perfect axel-toe. Lori Drum came in 2nd with her trademark elegant jumps. Becca and her partner had a hilarious interp. pairs this morning with Becca as the shark and the other lady as a surfing beach bum being terrorized; they won the event. In Men's Gold, the results were 1. Kelton Brown, 2. Angelo Watler, and 3. Tim David. In Ladies Gold, it was 1. Kristin? Bayliss (sp?) and 2. Lisa Chisholm.

Besides me and my hermaphrodite routine, I realized many of the women competitors were dressed like men-- are we going to see this gender reversal trend in men's interp? :) Paul Harvath(?) did a very entertaining program as a rocker, complete with a wig and fake guitar. Actually, all of the interps were fun, and it was a great way to end the competition. As for Bronze II elements, I think the competitors were doing all the single jumps through lutz. Pairs was an excellent event. It's so incredible to see what dangerous things the skaters do. Anyhoo, I gotta get ready for my flight home tomorrow. Many thanks to the organizers of the Peach Classic. As always, it was a wonderful event!! :bow:

Terri C
09-05-2004, 09:49 PM
Hi everyone! It was great to see both familiar and new faces at Peach. I got to meet Stormy for the 1st time- she is a great skater, and I will have to rewatch my video to see her skate. Actually, I am STILL in Atlanta, b/c my car crashed on the side of I-85 about 20 mins. after I left the Ice Forum. I think a tire must've blown out, b/c my car started swerving out of control at about 75-79 mph and I hit a batch of trees. I have a lot to be thankful for-- that no one was in the car w/me, that I didn't hit other cars, and I had my seatbelt on and got out with a skinned elbow and some minor marks from the seatbelt. Oh yeah, despite being thrown in disarray, all my skating clothes and skates are intact too. :) Luckily I was no longer wearing my hermaphrodite skating outfit and had washed the makeup off too. :lol: A good Samaritan quickly stopped and let me use his cell phone to call AAA, and the fire dept. and police came soon too. Waiting for the tow truck took forever, and the police officer drove me to a gas station. My brother was home (in Dunwoody) and drove out to get me. Car rental places are all closed tomorrow (except the ones at the airport), and the costs would be as much as a place ticket, so I will be flying back to NC tomorrow. I think that's the last time I'll drive to Atlanta or any place far from home now. Gotta buy a new car too, and probably no skating this week

OMG!!!! Are you okay???

NoVa Sk8r
09-05-2004, 09:51 PM
OMG!!!! Are you okay???

Wow! Ditto, there.

But atty had a great skate in her interp--smooth as silk and a great concept. Bravo!

NoVa Sk8r
09-05-2004, 10:02 PM
I will probably be posting a lot! This was my first out-of-town adult competition, so there was so much that I experienced.

I first want to say CONGRATS LOOPLOOP!!!! Peach offered testing opportunities, and Loops passed her adult gold moves test on Friday night :bow:, proving once again that she is my hero.

Oh, I failed my adult silver moves test ... I like to think that it's because I was so distracted by Loops' stellar performance that it completely disoriented me. But, I came so much closer to passing than last time (which was just short of a disaster). This time, one judge passed me (yippee!). The other judges gave great comments and feedback, so of course I'll be working hard to pass them in a few weeks. Skating bronze at adult nationals is NOT an option.

I met a lot of great people and saw so many skaters from my former life in NC. It was wonderful to see David Tsai and mskater (it had been, what, 4 years?).

The pair skaters were great. And we had no problems when all 8 of us were on the same warmup. Skaternum and partner look SO good together. And their off-ice lifts are to die for!

As for our performance, Loops and I had a decent practice session and warmup. Our performance was not exactly perfect--um, almost dropping the pair partner is NOT a good thing--but we added some harder elements since last month, so we're happy. We even helped teach another pair to do an axel lift. Another team showed us how to do a star lift off ice--and mskater helped us do our first one out by the pool (while barefoot in our bathing suits!).

Stormy
09-05-2004, 10:03 PM
HIGHLIGHTS:

-Skating my first clean program since 1999 and landing a double lutz in competition for the first time ever!!
-Deciding at the last minute to stay an extra night and attend the competitor's party which was "off the chain";]
-Imbibing and unwinding with friends and lip synching to the cover band's version of Hole's "Make Me Over".
-Catching up with friends I don't get to see very often and making new ones.

HIGHLY-FORGETTABLES:
-Getting "busted" trying to sneak onto a public session w/out paying :roll: Which I justified doing since I had missed a pre-paid practice earlier in the morning but WHATEVERRRR:]
-Getting a bit too tipsy at the after party and voguing with one of Skaternum's grass skirts.
-Spiking the oversized beach ball into the overhead light defuser causing it to come off it's hinges and give everyone a real scare
:halo: Again, not my fault, it was simply and act of self defense:]
-Just about every single camel spin I did while in GA;]
Stormy, you were so impressive this weekend and I'm so glad we got to hang out again...see you in DC??
All I can say is Adult Skating Rocks!! Can't wait for next year's Peach...I'm coming equipped with a cow bell and fog horn this time...

Oh, man!! Now I wish I'd stayed to see the voguing and beach ball incident! Although I already had had plane reservations and if I'd changed them it would have been beaucoup bucks, so I left right after the results came out for my last event. Nuts, I missed all the fun.
It was great to meet NoVa Sk8r, LoopLoop and Skatingatty. I am so sorry to hear about your accident....I hope you're ok! BTW, atty, you did an awesome Silver Jumps routine. Solid high jumps with creative arm positions. :bow:
I can't wait for Peach next year either. I'll bring the air horn and vodka nips!
:)

NoVa Sk8r
09-05-2004, 10:19 PM
mskater did a great job--he landed 5 doubles in his program (glad to see you're branching out on the emoticons, too)! Your camel in the program was good, so stop pooh-poohing yourself. :)

(Oh, btw, that emoticon is for you Nova;] ...that one too!

HIGHLIGHTS:

Oops, I think I'm the one to blame for this. I snuck onto the public, too. And in a crazy fit, I decided to work on the axel and the double salchow in order to get ready for my silver freeskate.

HIGHLY-FORGETTABLES:

Yeah, not one of your finer moments, but it was a hoot to watch!
At least you weren't WEARING the skirt. :oops:

My pleasure ... sorry I kept threatening to "scatch your eyes out, put them back in, and scratch them out again." That was the Celebrex, vodka, and ibuprofen talking. :P
Poor Loops got twice the, er, laughs. I maybe had too much fun on the plane ride home. We had plenty of creative writing exercises, and I even got to play with the die-cast Harley motorcycle that I won after my newfound talent in ... skeeball!

Nova, thanks for keeping me laughing like the whole weekend...you really are too much:]

See, and everyone kept telling us, "No--ees too dangerous. Ees not possible!" ;)

Nova and Loops, I still can't believe you hit the "Pamchenko" when it counted, I think that's what sealed the victory for you guys ;)

Figureskates
09-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Sounds like you al had such a great time...I am absolutely green with envy!!

NoVa Sk8r
09-05-2004, 10:29 PM
I luckily had no encounters with the phantom of the unmentionables. But IIRC, Bill (or was it Rob?)--fellow silver competitor--got a huge mens underwear garment cut out from a sheet.

mskater
09-05-2004, 10:29 PM
Wow Skatingatty, I'm glad you are ok...what a nightmare!

Stormy, we'll definitely have to plan on staying for the party next year because it really was a good time:]

Forgot to say a big THANKS to all of the organizers at the Peach for, once again, pulling off a competition to be proud of...gotta be that southern hospitality:]

Terri C
09-05-2004, 10:33 PM
Okay all with all the vodka tossing, what will be tossed at Halloween Classic- whiskey or gin???

NoVa Sk8r
09-05-2004, 10:34 PM
Major snaps to Rob L. et al. for pulling off a seamless event.
And the rumor mill has it that Rob may be joining the ranks of pair skating--I say, come on in, the water's fine!

Oh, more snaps to Becca (I think it was her), for providing the little plastic bottles of flavored smirnoff vodkas. :bow:
The raspberry one thrown on the ice after my freeskate came in handy, uh, let's just say, immediately after i skated. The orange one that followed was just as good. :)

TimDsk879
09-05-2004, 10:35 PM
ooh, i wish i could have attended the party. I was so tired from no sleep and my adrenaline rush just crashed me down. Any parties maybe in Aston,PA?

Terri C
09-05-2004, 10:42 PM
Any parties maybe in Aston,PA?

Hey Tim,
There's going to be a competitor's party at Halloween Classic too- I can't wait, since I couldn't make it to Peach!!

TimDsk879
09-05-2004, 11:13 PM
I have a feeling that Halloween will be wilder... :lol:

vesperholly
09-06-2004, 01:12 AM
DEF - I'll be there with bells on! 8-) No Peach 05 for me, either - my best friend is getting married on Labor Day weekend and I'm a bridesmaid. :-) Ah well, NATIONALS 06 will have to suffice.

Good job to everyone! Special :bow: to Stormy and mskater for doing so awesome! I'm just so relieved that everyone did the right moves and no one's blade broke and there was fab skating to be had. :lol:

Mrs Redboots
09-06-2004, 08:01 AM
All I can say is Adult Skating Rocks!! Can't wait for next year's Peach...I'm coming equipped with a cow bell and fog horn this time...How about a rubber chicken (ask Becca or Bill P if you don't know why!) :halo: My mother's been making rasperry vodka at the moment..... me, I preferred the Bourbon that kind Beccapoo gave us at the Mountain Cup.

Wish I'd been there - sounds like you guys had fun!

skaternum
09-06-2004, 08:55 AM
Good gracious, am I tired!?! That was a blast! There are so many things to report on, I don't know where to start.

I'll start with the underwear banner. Hee hee. I only took it to the rink on Saturday, but it was a fun addition. Marianne Campbell was the first recipient. The look on her face when she finished her program, looked up from her bow and saw "Great Skate" spelled out in flo orange on underwear waving from a banner -- priceless!

All the comments about mskater's freeskate are dead on -- it was simply awesome. He didn't let skating against the Great Davin Grindstaff mess with his head. :) And his costume was gorgeous too.

Skatingatty's man/woman interp was great. She easily won her interp group, which was impressive because it was a good group, and also won her jumps event. That girl can skate fast!

My favorite event to watch was the Silver Men's freeskate, and not just because ALL the competitors were my friends. There was some really good skating in that event. My homeboy David Tsai had a beautiful skate for 1st, but Nova Sk8r gave him a good run and came in 2nd. Nova spins like a top and is amazingly flexible. And in spite of being insanely busy running a competition, Rob L summoned up the strength to lay down a darn good 3rd place program! Bill P was a very brave boy and stuck in his axel -- awesome! :bow: The best part, though, was during warmup. Both David and Nova Sk8r have hydroblade moves in their programs (David actually taught it to Nova years ago), and they entertained the crowd by doing sbs hydroblades in perfect unison. The crowd went nuts!!

Our club was very proud of Kelton B's Gold Men's win. He's a former roller skating competitor, but this was his first time competing adult Gold.

The pairs stuff was a hoot, as always. They'd split the teams in to 2 events: Silver Pairs and Gold Pairs. We got put into Gold Pairs with the great team of Sargent & Mata. Oooh, lucky us. :lol: But then they put it on the schedule and announced it as Adult Pairs and Masters Pairs. We didn't know what event we were doing. Ha ha! We found out Friday night that Bill P's U.S. partner had scratched, but they were going to allow his Mtn. Cup partner, Piret, to take her place. (Isn't that the great thing about adult comps? Nobody sweats the little stuff like this.)

They put all 4 teams on the same warmup, and this year nobody ran into anybody else. It was a miracle! In the Adult/Silver event, Bill and Piret did great, especially considering they were re-learning the program about 16 hours before. Their lift went well, and they look so cute together on the ice! Looploop and Nova Sk8r looked like ... how to describe it? ... like they belong on the ice together skating pairs. :bow: Their axel lift is fully extended and high, and their spiral sequence is to die for! I was really impressed.

Our Masters/Gold event was fun. Paul & Judy did a new program, and it's really nice. They did all their usual incredible overheads, including a platter and a press that has an extra rotation in it over last year. They also did a split twist, BO death spiral, and camel/catch camel combo spin. No surprises -- they looked great. My partner and I were very pleased with how we skated. Our only major problem was on the sbs sit spins. Those are usually in synch, but he got a bad entry into his and had to bail after a couple of revs. Oh, well. Our lifts (lutz & loop) were fine, but the throw loop could have been better. Looking at the tape, it looks like we just waited too long or something. Our camel/catch camel went fine, which was a relief becuase it had been giving us fits the last few weeks. As expected, we came in second but we were elated to have gotten a first place ordinal. First one ever for pairs. :)

I had a good jumps program, but of course the Great Becca Guthrie kicked all our butts with her axel combo. I came in 2nd with my lutz/loop combo -- and am honored just to skate on the same ice that Becca did. :bow: I also had a good interp. I did my "Crazy" number and came in 2nd. The lady who won our group did a really fun program dressed as a waitress, skating to "Tips." It was awesome, because she used her prop of a tray with glasses on it really well. She actually used it throughout the entire program in some really clever ways. I'm always so impressed with the interp programs people come up with. We adults can be so creative. Looploop did a beautiful interp too, with some gorgeous spread eagles and Ina Bauer. Really pretty.

And considering all her recent shoulder problems, dani had some great skates too! She medaled in Gold MITF (not bad for a Bronze skater, huh?) and had the guts to try her freeskate, in spite of being unable to skate and train enough because of her injury. Her Chaplin interp, which came in 2nd to the Great Becca Guthrie's hilarious number, was even better than last time I saw it. Dani wins the Brave Little Soldier award for having the guts to skate so soon after an injury.
One of the cool things about Peach this year was seeing a fair number of men. They had everything from No Test through Masters. It was really good to see men out there competing.

But man oh man, the party! We had such a good time. I think I danced off about 3 pounds Saturday night. I had such a good time (hint hint) that I had to skip practice ice the next morning. I loved the Hawaiian Beach Party theme. Everybody got lei'd! ;)

My NC buddies Michele & David had a good skate in the Pre-Bronze dance event. Their tango was quite good, in particular. Michele medaled in every event she entered -- including a Silver medal in the freeskate.

I was really afraid that, with entries being lower than last year and the hurricane coming on, Peach would be less fun this year. It started off more subdued, but came on strong in the end. I'd say it was even more fun than last year! If the kids only knew how much friendship, fun, and camaradarie there is in adult skating, they'd all be dying to get old. What a great bunch of people! Snaps to Rob, Ginger, Marianne, Jennifer, and all the others who put on a great event. The scheduling seemed a little whacky this year, and there was some strangely unused ice for half-ice events, but overall it was great!! Who know what went on behind the scenes, but for us competitors, it went like clockwork.

skattingatty, hope you're okay! Let us know if we locals can do anything to help.

skaternum
09-06-2004, 08:59 AM
Rob is faaaaast! The results are already up on the Georgia FSC's website:

http://www.gafsc.org/peachclassic/peachclassic04s.htm

LoopLoop
09-06-2004, 10:11 AM
Oh my, what a weekend! Where to start?

First off, I'll echo everyone else's congrats to Rob, Ginger, Marianne and everyone else for such a smooth (and fun) event. :bow:

My two highlights of the weekend were passing my gold moves test (finally) and seeing Nova Sk8r skate THE BEST program he's ever done, including practice. I was so proud of my partner! ;) The silver men was a great event; they all skated well and even more importantly had fun out there, especially the side-by-side hydroblade Skaternum mentioned.

Pairs was so much fun, too. Well, except for that moment when NoVa almost dropped me :lol: . We pulled off our sort-of death spiral, which we'd had to really limit in practice due to my shoulder problem, the loop lift went well, the throw loop was pretty good (and we only learned it last month!), and I don't think NoVa forgot our program this time either. Skaternum and her partner were terrific, much better than she'd led me to expect they'd be. Paul and Judy were amazing, and Bill and Piret...well... I can't even imagine trying to pull off a pairs program with only a few hours of practice, so major props to both of them. And thanks to mskater for teaching us a star lift at the pool!

Speaking of mskater, he was awesome! And yes, I think we must have known each other before and just not realized it. ;) You'll be here for the New Year's comp, right?

Skatingatty, I'm glad you're ok after your accident! And your interp was a lot of fun to watch, along with so many others. Mine, well... when I got onto the ice for it, for some reason I was terrified. I haven't felt like that on the ice in a few years, so I wasn't able to get past it and therefore just couldn't sell my program. Heck, I couldn't feel my legs, so I certainly couldn't express my music very well. Oh well, there's always next time to improve on that.

2loop2loop
09-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Congrats to everyone on their skates at the Peach this year, especially to all my Mountain Cup buddies - you guys did great :bow: :bow: :bow: Also congrats to my friend Jenny who flew over from the UK and won Silver II freeskate.

Hopefully someday I will make it to this competition - it sounds like a great time. At the moment though I am hoping to be at the NYWC next year.

John

nerd_on_ice
09-06-2004, 12:49 PM
Congratulations to all who competed! :bow:

I am far from competing or even starting to test, yet, but now I have even more reason to work hard. I want to be pelted with vodka miniatures and honored with a sign made of underpants! :lol:

jazzpants
09-06-2004, 03:00 PM
Bright orange underwear signs, miniature vodkas and everyone getting lei'd at the party!?!?!?! 8O I better start saving up for next year's Peach!!! :twisted: :lol: (Right now I'm saving up for either Adult Sectionals or Nationals...ummmm...probably the Sectionals now given that I'm not sure I can pass those Bronze moves test in time. I'm nowhere near ready to test yet!!!)

skatingatty: 8O 8O 8O I'm glad to hear that you came out of it (relatively) unscathed though.

Congrats to everyone that skated!!! :bow: :bow::bow:

skatingatty
09-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Hi everyone! I'm back at home in NC now-- whew! What an adventure that trip was. Thanks for your concerns. I'm doing fine-- just got a skinned left elbow and very minor marks from the seatbelt; everyone, remember to always wear a seatbelt. I've already looked at some used cars. I'd like to get a hybrid, but even the used ones are going for over $20,000. Maybe I'll be back on the road soon and able to make my Wed. skating lesson. :)

Yes, I forgot to praise mskater for his wonderful freeskate! I had never seen him do that complete program. Everything was dead-on perfect. Also impressive were NovaSk8r's spins and carriage. I think he could pass for Brian Boitano's younger brother, looks-wise and skating-wise. And, speaking of skater similarities, I thought Yumiko (?) looked like Yuka Sato doing her interpretive-- very artistic with flowing edges, and the blonde lady wearing a white dress with fringe and gloves, who skated to "Chicago," reminded me of Maria Butyrskaya. Lastly, I still can barely tell Jenny Baker and Sara Panzer apart!

Congrats to LoopLoop on passing gold moves. :bow: I didn't notice any problems in your interp. It was a beautiful program. I'll put up some pictures on the web as soon as I can.

TimDsk879
09-06-2004, 06:40 PM
Congrats to you all the competitors, if any of you guys have pictures from peach classic, send some it to the Adult Figure Skating Website (http://www.adultfigureskating.com) so you guys can be featured.

NoVa Sk8r
09-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Also impressive were NovaSk8r's spins and carriage. I think he could pass for Brian Boitano's younger brother, looks-wise and skating-wise.

OMG, thanks! I have a 'Tano lutz, too. No comment on the death drop. But as I told mskater and Loops, I'm really going for Lucinda Ruh's older brother--I want to achieve "glorious" spins status! Maybe by adult nationals? Stay tuned ...

mskater
09-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Thanks to everyone that complimented my program; I'm still on a "skating-high" and loving every minute of it:]

Skatingatty, I just bought a used car last weekend from the Mazda/Buick dealership out on Wake Forest Road and it was the first really pleasant car buying experience I've had. They will truly work with you to get you a good deal and as of last weekend had many good cars to choose from. Ask for Rhonda if you decide to give them a try.

Btw, I was totally flipping out over the Yuka Sato "look-a-like"...really uncanny similarity during her interp.

Ok, bedtime for me...I'm sure I'll think of more to say once I've gotten some rest:]

TimDsk879
09-06-2004, 10:51 PM
I mostly slept and ate all day... Can't wait to go again next year and do better...

Good night all :yum:

Mrs Redboots
09-07-2004, 06:01 AM
Well done, all of you! WISH I'd been there, to have competed in (ideally) preliminary or pre-bronze dance, Ladies III Interpretive (thank heaven's I'm not Ladies II; I can't compare with Becca!) and (for Robert) pre-bronze or Bronze solo dance!

What are "compulsory moves" as compared with "moves in the field", please?

Figureskates
09-07-2004, 06:17 AM
First of all, congratulations to all those who participated and placed.

Is it my imagination or what but looking at the results, it seems that the bulk of the skaters were from the south. I was checking to see if any of the usual suspects I know attended and none did.

I might try to make it myself since 1) there is a pre-bronze category, and 2) our sister company the Weather Channel is there so maybe I can put the two together and really cut expenses!!

skaternum
09-07-2004, 08:24 AM
I checked the numbers against last year and here's what I got.

Competitors: 132 (2003) vs. 107 (2004, based on the competitors list).
Events: 69 (2003) vs. 74 (2004, based on the schedule).

Because of the threat of a hurricane, a few people stayed home this year, so there were less than 107 competitors.

So based on these numbers, we can conclude that there were fewer people this year, spread out over more events. So the number of skaters in any one event was smaller on average than last year. But the fun quotient was just as high, if not higher, than last year. :P

Elsy2
09-07-2004, 10:03 AM
What are "compulsory moves" as compared with "moves in the field", please?

Compulsory moves events are events where you are given the elements that must be included in your program. The program is without music and on half the ice surface. Everyone is doing the same elements, and no extra elements are allowed. Elements include both jumps and spins and often a required footwork sequence or other sequence like spirals, etc.

For the kids, compulsory moves events are a great preparation for the eventual short programs at the higher levels. For adults, it's a great way to compete an extra event that compares like elements.

Hope that makes sense....I'm a little groggy this morning.

Congrats to all of you....it's great to read about your adventures!

flo
09-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Congratulations to all! It sounds like you had a great time. Any potential partners there? TimDsk879??? ever consider pairs? ;)

TimDsk879
09-07-2004, 11:25 AM
Unfortunately I'm the one who should get thrown :lol:

I weigh 125 lbs and 5 ' 7. I did have some experience with pairs, but I don't think I have the strength to lift. I can throw :lol:

flo
09-07-2004, 12:22 PM
That could be an interesting program!

skaternum
09-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Very "Annisina and Peizerat," I think! You could blow the judges away by hefting Tim. :)

NoVa Sk8r
09-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Y'all could do an interesting pairs interpretive number. We might be having that event--I hope--for the New Year's Adult Invitational, Feb. 5-6.

Everyone write to the comp organizer, Peter Tsai <petertsai@verizon.net>, and request this event--it was a big hit at Peach!

skatingatty
09-07-2004, 01:41 PM
I mostly slept and ate all day... Can't wait to go again next year and do better...

Good night all :yum:

Tim, I just read over a little of your journal. Were you really improvising your program? I get tired of doing the same freeskate program, but I know it'd be disorienting to go to a strange rink and try to do a new program. Sorry I didn't get a chance to introduce myself, but I thought your presentation was (as Dick Button would say) "first-rate." You definitely look like someone who has had dance training. Hope everything goes better at the Halloween Classic. I won't be going, but I look forward to reading people's reports. :)

climbsk8
09-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Wow. What a fun weekend. Do you think the USFSA would allow us to have the competition sponsored by Smirnoff next year?

OK, maybe not.

I have an idea for the party theme for next year...after all the cowbells in the crowd, I think it should be "farm animals." Or we can go whole hog and make the party theme "underwear-clad farm animals with a vodka buzz."

Who would have thought a bunch of adult skaters could act so juvenile? Golly, that was fun!

Keep in touch, everybody! I'm really looking forward to this upcoming competitive season after seeing how I skated this weekend, and seeing how everybody else is skating too!

Mrs Redboots
09-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Compulsory moves events are events where you are given the elements that must be included in your program. The program is without music and on half the ice surface. Everyone is doing the same elements, and no extra elements are allowed. Elements include both jumps and spins and often a required footwork sequence or other sequence like spirals, etc.Rather like our "Hop, step and jump" competition - which, at the baby level, is upright spin, 3-jump and spiral (each element performed and marked separately), and at the highest level (at our rink) is axel, combination spin and step sequence.

kisscid
09-07-2004, 03:21 PM

Are you saying they actually did a bounce spin into a throw?????
Cid

climbsk8
09-07-2004, 04:19 PM
Nova and Loops are really GOOD, but not...that...good. :)

kisscid
09-07-2004, 04:22 PM
That would really have been something huh? I'm glad to hear everyone had such a fun time. What is a vodka nip? I read that these were thorown to skaters.
Cid
(I work in a bar I should know what this is....but can't figure it out.)
Cid

skaternum
09-07-2004, 04:27 PM
It's just a mini bottle of vodka.

TimDsk879
09-07-2004, 04:27 PM
Tim, I just read over a little of your journal. Were you really improvising your program? I get tired of doing the same freeskate program, but I know it'd be disorienting to go to a strange rink and try to do a new program. Sorry I didn't get a chance to introduce myself, but I thought your presentation was (as Dick Button would say) "first-rate." You definitely look like someone who has had dance training. Hope everything goes better at the Halloween Classic. I won't be going, but I look forward to reading people's reports.

= Thanks for your kind words skatingatty, I do get tired of skating the same program over and over again throught a season. Also I love music!!! I have a list of music pieces I would love to skate to. :D I was disappointed on how I did, but I guess every skater have to go through a rough performance to wake them up. Thanks again for your compliments. Hope to meet you at New Year's Invitational, Easterns, and Nationals.

Tim

NoVa Sk8r
09-07-2004, 06:03 PM
The funny thing is that Loops has yet to even see the movie ("The Cutting Edge"). Get on it! :P

Nova and Loops are really GOOD, but not...that...good. :)

Elsy2
09-07-2004, 09:52 PM
Rather like our "Hop, step and jump" competition - which, at the baby level, is upright spin, 3-jump and spiral (each element performed and marked separately), and at the highest level (at our rink) is axel, combination spin and step sequence.

This sounds somewhat similar, but the compulsory moves programs are performed like a freeskate program, and judging is based on the overall performance. You might have a difference in elements if the event specifies something like "a single/single combination". Someone may do a lutz/loop, which would marked higher than a sal/toe. Some events will be more specific and all will do essentially the same elements. Hope that clarifies it a bit.

skatingatty
09-07-2004, 10:26 PM
Hope this link works:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/judytseng2001/printthumbs?.dir=/fd72&qty=1

They are mostly pics of North Carolina skaters + one of my car! Enjoy!

jazzpants
09-08-2004, 01:34 AM
Hope this link works:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/judytseng2001/printthumbs?.dir=/fd72&qty=1

They are mostly pics of North Carolina skaters + one of my car! Enjoy!It's asking me for a password, even though I definitely have a cookie to the Yahoo Photo website. I don't think it's public to everyone??? :D

skaternum
09-08-2004, 05:01 AM
I had the same problem. Judy, can you "share" them or make them public?

Mrs Redboots
09-08-2004, 05:58 AM
This sounds somewhat similar, but the compulsory moves programs are performed like a freeskate program, and judging is based on the overall performance. You might have a difference in elements if the event specifies something like "a single/single combination". Someone may do a lutz/loop, which would marked higher than a sal/toe. Some events will be more specific and all will do essentially the same elements. Hope that clarifies it a bit.Yes, thanks.

Beccapoo2003
09-08-2004, 07:53 AM
Thanks guys, for the nice compliments on the Interp and the Axel. It was the first one in competition!!!!!! Yeay!!! :D :D :D Just hope it chooses to stick around! You never own an Axel, it owns you!! What hasn't been mentioned was the faceplant in the warm up on that jump right in front of the judges!! DOH!! :oops: (met Mr. Toepick on that forward outside entry edge) I guess the Ice Gods were hungry for a sacrifice!
Skaternum's Crazy Interp is amazing. She does everything with her arms in a straightjacket, including jumps and spins!!! :bow: Wow! She did it in the exhibition at AN.
There were a few underwear tricks that did not get pulled off, being in 8 events puts a cap on some of the mischief! That's OK though, there's always next year! ;) 8-)
I'm so glad the beach balls were a hit at the party, those were left over from Nationals, can you believe there are still more even!? The cieling panel event was kool! We did some dancing around in giant underwear, too.
Wasn't sure how the Vodka Nips would fare in the US, but thanks to Mrs. Redboots prodding, and all the comments, methinks it was a success! :D NoVa skater finished his before he even got off the ice, much to the crowd's delight! 8O It was mentioned that maybe they should be given BEFORE the program!
SkatingPatty, I'm so glad you're OK. From the picture that looks like a nasty accident.
It was great to see everyone. Can't wait 'till the next comp! Adult Skaters are such a supportive bunch. We really are very fortunate to be able to partake in something so positive in our lives. ADULT SKATERS ROCK!!!(head banging)

And the awesome adventure continues.............

Becca from Alabama

skatingatty
09-08-2004, 10:12 AM
Hmmm... let's try this link. Hope it works!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/judytseng2001/album?.dir=/fd72&.src=ph&.tok=ph_HStBBWL5DhkxZ

Beccapoo2003
09-15-2004, 08:12 AM
More photos from Peach! http://www.bobrausch.org/skating/
Becca

2loop2loop
09-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Liked the interp Becca - it has evolved a bit since the Mountain Cup - or should I say decomposed :lol: :lol: :lol:

The dive at the end looked painful! I take some falls, but that made me gasp 8O

John

jazzpants
09-16-2004, 02:26 AM
OMG, Becca!!! http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/bloblaugh.gif (Mind you, this is the first I've ever seen the streaker program... I guess it's different when you actually see the program for yourself.)

Ice T
09-17-2004, 09:34 PM
Hey everyone! I'm the Tampa Silver I lady who was crazy enough to drive home through the hurricane on Monday!

I had the BEST time at Peach Classic this year! It was probably about the most fun I have had in a long time. I did, however, greatly miss my best friend, Amy E, this year who has moved to the other side of the world. :cry:

I skated probably the best I have skated all year, and finally felt like I got my head back in the game after bottoming out in every competition except one this year. Thanks to those of you who comforted me in the locker room after I found out that I was dead last despite giving my best performance. For those of you who know me, I've had a lot to deal with this year from changing coaches against my wishes, dealing with several injuries, and endless other heartaches along the way. This competition was what I needed to give me a great boost and inspire me in my training. I don't have other adult skaters to train with, so it was so fun to connect with other adults and make even more new friends this year. The Atlanta skaters are always so welcoming and friendly, and this year I didn't want to go home. THANK YOU!!

I can't wait until next year! And so next year......will someone please throw me one of those Vodka bottles? I could have used it! ;)