View Full Version : End of summer- what did you accomplish? What's next?

CanAmSk8ter
09-02-2004, 05:25 PM
So with summer ending, I thought this would be a time to look at what those of us who are lucky enough to have summer ice time have accomplished this summer that we're proud of. For all of us, what comes next?

I worked very hard on the Kilian this spring and summer and when it came time to compete it I did one of the best I've ever done. I've made some real progress on the American Waltz and will probably test it in the next couple of months. That will be the end of my Silver Test! And I've made a lot of progress with my overall fitness by doing extra off-ice.

Next, I have to pass my American and work more on the Kilian. I'd like to take it in the spring sometime. And I have to start working on my other Pre-Golds. I know them all, but I've hardly partnered them at all. I also want to take my Juvenile and maybe Intermediate Free Dance this year.

icedancer2
09-02-2004, 06:22 PM
It sounds like you have accomplished a lot this summer!!

Although I have had summer ice, my accomplishments have been mostly off-ice, but skating related:

1) I lost 25 pounds!! I looked like such a cow in the dress that we competed in for Synchro that I vowed to lose the weight -- now the dress fits but I need a whole new wardrobe!!

2) My papers for my Bronze Dance and Bronze Freestyle (Singles)/Pairs judging appointments finally got turned in last week and hopefully I will start judging later in the fall (oh no -- watch out skating world!!)

Started trial judging the next level (Silver Dance and Singles/Pairs appointment) last week. Yea!!

backspin
09-02-2004, 07:45 PM
Started working w/ 2 new coaches. Passed my pre-juv. moves, & went back & took (& passed!) my European & Silver Tango tests standard. I also got a student through her pre-silver dances & first 2 moves tests before she left for school.

Next, juvenile moves in November, American Waltz & Rocker (possibly at the same time, still mulling that over) before the end of the year. (hope hope hope)

Stormy
09-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Landed my axel and made lots of progress on my doubles. Learned flying sit, which is stlll pretty iffy. Learned four patterns on the Novice moves.
Next up, learning the rest of Novice moves, testing Silver Free and Gold Moves. Putting together a Gold program just in case it will be ready for AN. Maybe starting dance since a friend of mine can teach me the Prelim dances, and she probably won't charge much. If I ever test dance, I wanted to test Solo anyways.

jenlyon60
09-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Worked on Silver Tango solo all summer. Have made a lot of progress... before this summer I could skate it fairly well with my coach. Now I can skate it with much better control and flow solo without the music (we're just starting to put bits and pieces to the music).

Can finally fairly consistently do the swing mohawk in the Tango solo. That has taken me 3 years on and off to accomplish. Don't know what made the breakthrough other than I had been working on it off pattern, and one day coach had me do it on pattern, and some other skaters were nearby, just close enough to force me to stay on the pattern that coach wanted, and it worked. And it's mostly stayed since then (about a month ago).

Have also been continuing to work on Bronze MIF...one of these days I'll get around to testing it. Sometimes I think my coach and I are going overboard on how much power and flow we're aiming towards, but then I look at the gains in my power and flow in Tango and other stuff, and it seems to be paying off all around.

Perry
09-02-2004, 08:34 PM
I came back from a devastating injury that ended my competitve career, and spent most of the summer juggling how much/long to skate vs. how much my hip hurt. I finished coreography on my senior program (my last freestyle test) and got all my doubles back (though I'll never be allowed to do loops again, because of the damage). I started dance again, and was actually able to the cross-rolls on the Argentine the first time out (I was never able to do them before, despite who and how long worked on the with me, but that was probably because I'd ripped everything that enables you to move that way). I passed my Westminster with only about 15 hours of total work on it (even counting before the surgery), simply because, since my hip's at least in working condition, I'm stronger than before. I brought my mom to tears when I finished the test, because it was the first real achievement in my recovery, and I'd struggled with so much coming back, and I managed to pass by two tenths over by two judges that never ever pass over, and rarely both pass, and everyone told me it was the test of the day. It was really painful, but it was really meaningful to be able to accomplish something when I've had to give up most of my skating aspirations because of this injury.

fadedstardust
09-03-2004, 01:59 AM
I'm glad everyone had good summers. I had a horrible training summer, haha. My coach and I separated and I haven't found anyone else that suits me yet, so I've been working on my own- not training very much at all, bouncing around, and dealing with tendonitis on and off. Money has also been pretty tight this summer. It's looking to be better as we get further into fall, both for the coach and money issues, so I'm keeping my chin up, I'd like to pass my Junior moves test, but as far as gearing up for fall, I've decided to take the year off from qualifying competition. There's no way, with the summer I've had, that I'll make any kind of good showing. It's going to be one very long year. I'm not a long-term goals kinda person, and next year sure seems far away, but it'll be my last as a Novice so I'd like to have the best showing I can. I'm thankful to be skating at all though, especially when I read stories like Perry's. :( Perry thank you for sharing your story, I am so sorry for your injury.

luna_skater
09-03-2004, 02:14 AM
Well, this summer felt a little strange since I only tested my last gold dance and jr. silver skills. Last summer, I tested and passed 9 dances. But this year I didn't skate in May, and only skated once a week before passing the Westminster, my last gold dance, at the end of June. Then July was all about skills. I started learning jr. silver skills back in March, but had only worked on them on and off since I was focusing on dance. So in July, twice a day nearly every day, I hit the ice and worked on loops, loops, and more loops. They had gotten pretty solid and by about week three my coach asked if I wanted to start learning sr. silver. I said no way...I wanted to pass those loops, and I was only doing this test once! I passed! Thank god, because I don't know how much longer I could have worked on those skills for.

I didn't have much ice in August, but I have gotten pretty far along with my sr. silver skills. My rockers exercise is strong, and the expanding is getting pretty good as well. I have a LOT of trouble with the brackets part of the multi-threes and brackets, so they will be my arch nemesis for September. I had aimed to test sr. silver in October, but we'll see how it goes after I get back from vacation on Sept. 13. Might have to put them off till November!

slusher
09-03-2004, 07:38 AM
Perry, congratulations. That's a huge injury to overcome and not everyone can do it. I admire your dedication.

My coach's competitive career was cut short in such the same way. Although coachie came back onto the competitive circuit, the limitations of what could be done essentially ended any hopes of winning, and goals changed. Sometimes, to make Nationals is a goal in itself.

Mrs Redboots
09-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Perry, I hope you will go on skating for many years to come, even if you can no longer compete at the level you would have wished.

As for me, this summer I have choreographed our first free dance, and, although it's not quite up to standard yet, we hope it will be for the British Adult Championships in four weeks' time. We have also started work on the Willow Waltz, which I'm told we'll need for next year's competitions, and I'm delighted with how that's going.

I think I'm finally beginning to conquer my fear of turning at speed, although I still can't do so by myself. But partnered, it's really beginning to happen now, although if I am at the wrong angle, I still can't do the intro 3-turn into a dance (Jenlyon, I sympathise!).

Chico
09-03-2004, 08:52 PM
I landed my 2 loop clean twice. My backspin is better. Some days it's sorta kinda good. =-) My overall speed and ability to work on skills in a crowded rink became comfortable. I can haul butt and doge with the best of them. =-) I was the only adult at my rink who skated consistently with the high end kids this summer. I started working with a new coach and my self confidence has improved by leaps and bounds.

Chico

MQSeries
09-03-2004, 08:55 PM
I'm finally able to do the sitspin :P

I've always wanted to be a good spinner. Now I have to focus on the camel once the rink is open for for winter season.

jazzpants
09-03-2004, 11:43 PM
I managed to finally get the general gist of the forward power 3's. Even though there's no power, it's getting closer to what it should be. (Actually, there is some amount of power now, but it's not quite there yet...) I didn't pass the Bronze Moves test, but I'm getting closer than before.

PattyP
09-05-2004, 10:23 AM
I passed my Adult Gold test at the beginning of summer and have spent the rest of the summer trying to learn *$#@#! doubles :frus: I am getting close on the d.sal and my coach is encouraged by my progress.

Things have been a bit slow this summer as I have been dealing with a recurring calve muscle strain that has taken me off the ice for a couple of weeks. It is now improving and I can do everything except split jumps, something about the landing really aggrivates it.

I have new music and I'm working on my programs for next year. If all goes well, I will debute them at Skate SF!

Patty