View Full Version : Benefits of competing vs. laying low and testing

gregyoshi
08-31-2004, 10:41 AM
I know there are lots of competitive skaters out there and I'm wondering what everyone thinks about competing vs. laying low, practicing and skating in order to complete tests only andbe in shows. See in my case, I'm not interested in competing anymore. I used to and never enjoyed it. I didn't think it was that big of a deal to skate in a group with, say, 2 skaters and come in first or second. Plus the costs are prohibitive right now. I can't afford to pay my coach travel feels, fees to be there with me when I compete and all that. It's hard enough to scrape up the money for ice time and privates. But I would compete if I thought I should-if it would be beneficial, so your advice is important right now.

I like performing much better and testing, which gives me a huge sense of accomplishment. I'd like to coach one day so I just wonder how necessary it is to compete when it's obvious I'm never going to be a Johnny Weir or anyone like that. Anyone else on that same wave-length as me? Am I nuts? Thanks much, Greg

backspin
08-31-2004, 01:01 PM
Well, I'm a little bit in your shoes, as I started skating as an adult, & started coaching a few years ago. I don't have a competitive history, so I'm working on testing through to the top to give me the credibility I'll need to be taken seriously.

I do think it would be beneficial for me to do some competing (I've actually done 2 competitions, a few years back), just to know how it feels, but I also think there is much knowledge to be gained by just attending competitions as a spectator regularly--so you know who's doing what at what level, what is needed to be competitive, etc. PSA training and ratings are also ways to gain knowledge and credibility as a coach.

Skating in a show would definitely be a feather in your cap for the resume.

However, ultimately coaches are judged by the students they produce, which takes time and patience, to build up their reputation. I think that encouraging your students to test and compete (when they are ready) is really the way that you will build your credibility as a coach.

Hope that's helpful! :)

Mrs Redboots
08-31-2004, 01:23 PM
I think everyone should compete at least once; if they hate it, they never have to do it again. After all, they might find they really enjoy it, like my husband!

As for skating in shows - go for it, if you're good enough! All good experience, and a great many coaches here come out of shows.

twokidsskatemom
09-01-2004, 12:52 AM
we have lots of skaters here who only want to do the shows, adults and kids alike.There isnt anything wrong with that.
my dd on the other hand, would rather practice to get better and compete than do the ice show.Some moms dont understand that but its her call, not ours.She loves the solos :)

Mrs Redboots
09-01-2004, 05:26 AM
Er - I think you'll find that gregyoshi was talking about professional shows, not the kind put on by local clubs at Christmas.

twokidsskatemom
09-01-2004, 12:11 PM
Er - I think you'll find that gregyoshi was talking about professional shows, not the kind put on by local clubs at Christmas.
sorry i didnt understand

kisscid
09-01-2004, 01:30 PM
Gregyoshi you mentioned wanting to coach sometime in the future. I think in order to be an effective coach you would need to do a couple of competitions, just to see what it is like to have to prepare for them. You'll be better able to help your students when they are preparing for a comp if you have acrtually done it yourself.
Cid

Elsy2
09-01-2004, 01:30 PM
Competing will only benefit you if you win a regional or national title for your resume, and most skaters will not do that. Your test level is going to be very important for your credentials. So IMO concentrate on testing as high as you can.

I don't know much about the professional shows, but that can be a plus if you get that sort of experience.

In the long run developing a track record of your students successfully testing or competing is what you will want. It can take a long time to develop that sort of success as a coach.

If you haven't done so already, you may want to consider teaching learn to skate as a start. See if you really do love coaching. Good luck!

Beccapoo2003
09-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Why not consider judging as well as competing? If you judge, generally the hosting club helps with expenses. Just a thought....We need more new judges! :D
Becca

Beccapoo2003
09-01-2004, 08:26 PM
I meant to add that if you haven't competed in an Adult competition for a while, things may be different. Being with many others in your position that feel as you about skating, hearing and learning the stories of others conquering obsticles as Adult skaters, the inspiration, and in MHO the most important thing.....the wonderful support and fun that comes with competing as an adult!!!! :D :D :D
Becca

Mrs Redboots
09-02-2004, 04:30 AM
Why not consider judging as well as competing? If you judge, generally the hosting club helps with expenses. Just a thought....We need more new judges! :D
BeccaHere, if you judge, you may not coach, and vice versa. You can't even take both trainings at the same time, as a friend of mine found out to her cost. Don't know what the USFSA rules about this are.

And I totally agree with Becca about the joy of adult competition!

jenlyon60
09-02-2004, 08:10 AM
Here, can judge and can compete (The other week, I ran across a high level competitor who's currently trial judging for his initial appointment).

Can compete and coach in USFS now that the ISU rules only distinguish eligible and ineligible, not "amateur" and "professional". The major limitation is that one can't both judge and coach at the same time in USFS. I understand ISI uses a totally different system.

gregyoshi
09-02-2004, 02:23 PM
Thanks so much for all the helpful info. I really appreciate it! I think I know now which direction I'm headed.

Just a few questions/comments.

Someone thought I meant I was interested in professional shows. Sure-that would be great someday but now I'm just happy to be in club shows and exhibitions. Just to clarify that.

I have a question but I think I'll post it as a new topic, since it's not specifically related to this one. Thanks again, Greg

twokidsskatemom
09-02-2004, 08:37 PM
I thought that is what you meant but I was corrected so...
Anyway, we have kids and adults who only skate to do the ice shows in the spring. They dont like to compete and that is what makes them happy.There isnt anything wrong with that. It is inportant to them. My kids would rather compete.
If that makes you happy, go for it !!!Good luck !!