View Full Version : Not testing?

skateflo
08-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Just curious about how many adult skaters here on the list have chosen not to test/compete (even in 'no-test' competitions?) Does this make you feel out of the mainstream of adult skating?

Is seems like everyone is working on MIF/freestyle/dance tests, etc.

I have decided that I am just not psyched the right way for testing. I've tried preparing 3 different times over the past decade and my skills deteriorate with practice. So to keep skating, advancing my skills, and keep the joy and fun in skating, I have decided testing is a no-go. Coach agrees.

flippet
08-22-2004, 11:16 PM
I don't test or compete (and never have), not due to choice, per se, but finances. (I'm not even skating at all at the moment.) The only testing I've done is with my coach, to pass ISI levels, and only made it to FS3.I do feel a bit out of the mainstream, at least, the mainstream around here. (The adult 'mainstream' at my rink did even less than I did--skated purely for social/'fun'/exercise reasons.) I would actually love to compete, but it doesn't look like it's in the cards for me right now, possibly not ever.

Mrs Redboots
08-23-2004, 03:47 AM
I have tested, but not at the moment as, if I test any higher, I'll have to compete at a higher level, which I'm not yet ready to do. There are other tests I can take (free dance, variation dance) which won't impact on competition levels, but we haven't got round to doing that!

Elsy2
08-23-2004, 09:55 AM
I think I'm done testing and competing. I really did enjoy it and am glad I went through the experiences I did. I haven't done either for two years now, and still very much enjoy my skating.

My dance partner and I have never competed or tested our dances. We still have a great time together.

I have to say that everyone should have a program at least once. It's a great challenge and it's quite different to do elements in a program rather than just in isolation.

I competed for a few years at pre-bronze before testing anything. Those competitions allowed you to skate up a level. When I tested, I felt ready and fairly confident.

I feel a bit out of the mainstream, but I have no stress about my skating now and that's nice too.

Chico
08-23-2004, 09:51 PM
I'm another adult skater who has chosen in the past not to test and compete. I DO want the skills and have chosen to work and pass skills upon my coaches say, "She decides when I'm ready to learn new skills and my old are passable for tests." My goals have been internal for the most part. What skills I want to work towards and focus on. As an adult I have chosen to work towards doubles as an important goal. Not the ONLY, but most important at this time. I figure this potential has a small time frame as an adult. I want to look back some day and say I tried and DID. This doesn't mean I have forgotten moves and spins. I work on these every day I skate. =-)I did learn how important the "whole" package is from my old coach. I am getting closer on those doubles and feel it's time to work towards a new goal. My new coach is encouraging me to have a program and test. The program sounds like an interesting goal to add to those doubles, but I'm still not ready for those tests. Like mentioned, my skating is for ME. Right now, testing is not what I want right now. Maybe someday. My coach is supportive and you never know.

Chico

sk8er1964
08-24-2004, 06:45 PM
I'm not testing right now, but I'm sure I will again. Like Mrs. Redboots (who I know does dance, not freestyle) :) , I won't test my next (freestyle) test because I am nowhere near the next level, which is master's. I don't really want to do the Novice moves right now (although I would like to pass through senior), because I'd rather concentrate on the double jumps (like Chico :) ) I was thinking about signing up for the dance session and maybe doing some dance, to give me something to do when the body doesn't want to jump. I don't know if that would lead to testing, though.

I will, however, be competing again this year. My first comp of the season is in November. Don't know if I'll do sectionals or AN this year, though. With a kid in travel hockey, I may not be able to afford them - especially since sectionals is so far away (Colorado). :cry: I'll do locals, though, and maybe the adult comps in Ohio if they have them this year.

skateflo
08-25-2004, 04:51 AM
Thanks flippet & Chico. I guess I was looking for other souls that found testing preparation was just not for them, yet have continued with skating goals and enjoyment.

I wonder if many adults get pushed into testing and/or competing because of coach pressure and peer pressure. Yes, some adults are testing goal oriented as a measure of their progress, but I wonder what they would do if no testing structure were in place. I wonder how many adults, before the adult structure was put in place, did not bother with the standard track, yet progressed anyway in their skating skills and enjoyed themselves.

Sometimes I think the adult structure is over-hyped, IMHO. All I know is when recently I decided to forget the whole testing scheme, I felt like a great weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Thank goodness I have a great coach that understands my feelings and is not slacking off in lesson quality and growth.

CanAmSk8ter
08-25-2004, 02:49 PM
Most of the adults I skated with before the adult tests were put in place did in fact take the standard track tests. However, at that point I skated with a small fraction of the number of adults I skate with now. Adult skating really has grown tremendously in the last ten years- I remember when I started it was a novelty to have an adult skater on the ice with us, even one who had skated as a kid. Not anymore!

Anyway, I can't imagine not testing, but I'll never be a true "adult" adult skater, having started at 11. (Not to mention that I'm not sure I plan to ever be an adult :cool: Just kidding!) But, to each their own. My mother has said several times that she doesn't understand why I do it, which is why I won't discuss it with her anymore. I can't really explain it, except that I can't imagine a better feeling than passing a test, and that I think I'd miss it even though I do get nervous.Between my new coach's very high standards about when he'll sign test papers and his amazing ability to keep me from losing my mind, I think testing will become more enjoyable for me than it has been.

Chico
08-25-2004, 09:42 PM
Welcome skateflo. =-) I don't know of any adults who have been pushed into testing. Encouraged, but not pushed. I think the "testing" format does keep a coach on track. Thus, why some coaches do encourage. I don't TEST but I do follow the testing schedule sorta. Not exactly....but close. My ability to jump is more advanced than my spinning and moves skills and thus these don't. I do appreciate that my coach seems okay on this. She seems to take me where I'm at, both strengths and weaknesses. If I stuck to the testing schedule 100 % I wouldn't be able to do this. I am learning the skills on the standard track and not the adult track. I disagree with you on the importance of this track even if I agree with you on testing per say. Skills do build upon each other and learning them so helps with the next. Skating is a journey.........process. This journey is different for all, and there truly are no wrongs. Have fun. =-)

CanAm,Sk8ter,

I'm not getting old either. =-) At least my spirit will be young.

Chico

skatetiludrop
08-26-2004, 12:31 AM
Hi all, I'm one of the very few adult skaters here where I live, Thailand, and it's not so out of mainstream not to test nor compete. I think most adult skaters do what they do because their sheer love of the sport itself. I myself have tested and passed ISI FS1 about a year ago. Now I'm only taking lessons. However, I'm planning to test FS2 soon and when I get to FS3 or 4, I might want to compete in this Skateasia event. I personally didn't want to go out there and compete in FS1 because if I want to compete, I want people to see me doing cool jumps (not that waltz jump and half flip aren't cool :) ) like say, axel and some double. What whatever the goals are, I know I enjoy skating and that's the most important thing.

jazzpants
08-26-2004, 12:44 AM
Welcome skateflo. =-) I don't know of any adults who have been pushed into testing. Encouraged, but not pushed. You just know of one!!! :mrgreen:

I understand the reasoning behind my testing Bronze Moves is to push me to work hard to get my skills to a certain level, but it worked against me to a certain point b/c of all the pressure and stress that's been put on me to test and pass the test. But I'm still thankful for the experience...

I don't know when I'm testing. I don't even think right now that I'll be going to AN 2005. I'm very discouraged right now about my basics skills. And it's not that I'm not trying hard. My coaches know that!

flippet
08-26-2004, 09:37 AM
Thanks flippet & Chico. I guess I was looking for other souls that found testing preparation was just not for them, yet have continued with skating goals and enjoyment.
Well, just to clarify, for me personally, I don't mind the testing preparation a bit--I like it. (If you can call slapping a program together strictly for my coach so I can pass ISI FS 1 or 2 'testing'.) It's fun to have a goal to put elements together into a program, and skate it cleanly, even if the only people seeing it are my coach, the few other adults and couple of beginning pre-teens on the ice, and their moms and my hubby with the video camera in the stands. It helps me feel like a 'real skater' if I have a program. The nice part is not worrying about throwing money away on a test session, if I were to zamboni the ice with my tush. :lol: However, my adult skating friends do only skate for fun, for the most part, and you'd never get them out onto a real test session, or to a competition. One in particular doesn't even really care how far she gets--she loves skating and learning, but for her, it's primarily a way to get exercise and have a little fun on a Tuesday night. She enjoys getting better at skills, but it's not about anything 'more' for her. There's certainly nothing wrong with that--any skater should be able to do whatever they please with their sport, without guilt. :)

Elsy2
08-26-2004, 09:39 AM
Just wanted to clarify that the adult moves are taken from the standard track, they are the same moves, but selected from several levels of the standard track for each level of adult moves. Does that make sense? :??

jenlyon60
08-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Don't get yourself down.... breaking old habits and building new habits is the hardest part of this sport, sometimes. Unfortunately, nervousness tends to make us go back to our comfort zone, which is often those old habits.

I skate a lot of early morning sessions where in the main season, I often get very little warm-up time before my lesson. My coach uses the early morning session (6:30AM) as a gauge of "preparedness." When I can come out and do whatever (Bronze MIF or Silver Tango) at or above what we believe is a passing standard, then we know I'm ready to submit my test papers.

And it still took me 3 tries to pass the blamed European Waltz... 4 tries if you count the first attempt 16 years ago.

I'm very discouraged right now about my basics skills. And it's not that I'm not trying hard. My coaches know that!

garyc254
08-26-2004, 01:12 PM
Personally, I never found it important to test. I did test through ISI Delta just so I could attend a few classes that were restricted otherwise, but I haven't tested since and don't plan to in the future.

I will continue to try new elements and to improve those few skills I already have.

Michigansk8er
08-26-2004, 03:50 PM
Just wanted to clarify that the adult moves are taken from the standard track, they are the same moves, but selected from several levels of the standard track for each level of adult moves. Does that make sense? :??

Yep! I know there is still some confusion about this out there. I think you are saying that you can test standard or adult.................but if you are just learning them, the skills are the same. An example would be the current move I'm struggling with. It's move name is: "backward perimeter power stroking with back inside 3-turns & forward inside 3-turns". It's NM Pattern 1 & AGM Pattern 5 on the tests........but it's the same move, no matter how you slice it.

Speaking of moves...........I have no intention of ever testing any of them. We work on the ones my coach sees as a benefit for me in particular, so there are some I've never learned, and most likely never will. I'm definitely not a moves fan. I want to jump and spin, and spin some more!!!! For me, however, testing has been a good measure of where I'm at, a goal, and a challenge. It's really different to do a skill well, and do it well to music at just the exact moment. I wanted that measure.............and my little medals to show my grandkids!!!!! :D Now I've retired to the skating for the fun of it gang. Instead of doubles (go Chico & Sk8er1964) my goal is a death drop!!!!! I live in a fantasy land. :roll:

MQSeries
08-26-2004, 04:53 PM
I used to test and hated it, only because I could not control my nerve on test days. But I do see the advantage of testing though. It gives one a logical point to end one set of skills and start learning a new set of skills; otherwise, it feels like it's just your own whim as to whether you have "master" the current set of skills or not. For example, I'm never going to feel good about my double 3's regardless of how often I practice them but it would be nice to have some judges tell me they're at least adequate so that I can stop worrying about them and go on to the next skill set.

I like MIF but find them too difficult for me to master. They're the foundation for great footwork though,and I wish I can do them. If you can incorporate MIF stuff leading into jumps and spins, think how great you would look on the ice.

Michigansk8er
08-26-2004, 05:41 PM
MQSeries,

I'm with you all the way on those double 3's...............and test nerves. I figure I'll never test moves because of the nerve factor. They'd have to be WAY above the passing average before I'd even test them..........so when the nerves took over I might still have a chance. I do have straightline footwork into a jump sequence. It's really fun when your program footwork gets to the point where it's on autopilot.

Chico
08-26-2004, 09:09 PM
jazzpants,

I'm sorry you felt pushed. No fun! I'm kinda a stubborn soul and wouldn't let this happen unless I wanted it. When and if I test it will be my choice. Being stubborn is a positive, but then again it isn't if you know what I mean! I agree on the stress thing too. I have enough stress in my life without making my fun stressful too. I tend to be a "perfect" striving soul, which causes some anxiety in skating, testing would kill me.

My coach really wants me to work on moves off the regular moves "schedule". I've been told here they are very similar or contain most of the same, but this is a coach priority for some reason. I'm just putting along at her say so in this department. Honestly, I don't know.

Chico

fadedstardust
08-27-2004, 12:25 AM
Hi-

Okay, this is going to be an obnoxious question, and I apologize in advance for it, but I really really want to get some answers because this is something I hear around the rinks from adults (and some kids) and I simply don't understand, so I'd love some perspectives. This isn't meant in a derogatory way at all, if it were to appear this way to anyone.

What is the point of working soooo hard and spending soooo much money on skating if you never plan on testing/competing? I mean I love skating with ALL of my heart, I've stuck with it through surgeries and having no money and I've driven so much as 3 hours out of my way to be with a coach who could help me land my triples, but, I do all this because I have a goal- it PROBABLY will never happen, but I still have a dream to be one of the best skaters in the world. It's not about money, or a medal, or even "fame", I just want to be at the top of my sport. That's what drives me. I could do it for fun, but if I did then I probably wouldn't spend much/any money on coaches, and I'd probably very rarely practice, and definitely wouldn't try any harder skills that could injure me. But you guys work very hard, you are all dedicated and working on difficult things, so I am wondering, what "drives" you, if not the prospect of passing a test, or placing well in competition? The sheer joy of being on the ice gets you to the rink, but what motivates you to work on harder elements, to stick it out when you can't seem to get something right...what keeps you dedicated to progressing?

I hope this is a fair question, and I hope I worded it properly, again I just really want people's personal perspectives of this, and I can't wait to read some. Thank you! :)

angelskates
08-27-2004, 02:38 AM
fadedstardust, I will answer for myself only. I am still on the ice after many major medical problems and even more "Why do you bother?" comments.

I am there because I love it, skating is my passion. I am not testing or competing at the moment, though I may again in the future.

The satisfaction of "getting" something new, whether it be a jump, spin, footwork is what drives me. The feeling of flying when I'm on the ice. Skating a good program even if it's only my coach and I who see it. Landing a jump, spinning a spin, fancy footwork and being so happy I can cry and then wanting to land/spin/do a billion of them in a row, just because I CAN. Feeling so tired I ache but still being there because I *have* to get that move, just because I'm so darn close and *know* I can!

Skating the basics and the feeling of relaxation that I get from nothing else. It says a lot for a person to skate without the goal of Olympics/Worlds etc. I am still relatively young (almost 25) and when I tell people I am a figure skater the first question I get is whether I have been to Worlds/Olympics etc or will I in the future. My answer....no, my goal is to be the skater I know I can be, to be the best that I can. That drives me. That and the fact that nothing is ever perfect in skating (to me). A jump can always be higher, spins faster etc. I strive for perfection, or as close as I can get.

Satisfaction and drive comes from within and for most skaters I know it's much more based on what the skater feels than how others' (judges etc) feel about their skating. I know someone who won a competition, didn't skate her best and was not satisfied, same competition, fourth place getter felt like she won and was 100% satisfied with her personal best skate. :D

Mrs Redboots
08-27-2004, 02:39 AM
I have to agree with fadedstardust here (I know I said I wasn't going to post again until Tuesday, but there's an hour before I have to leave for the station if I'm going to get a train at cheap rate!); I don't understand it, either. However, I know lots of people who do skate and work very hard for sheer love of the sport, with no thought of testing and very little thought of competing.

To be fair, many of the people I know are dancers, and of course there is social dance; here, most dance clubs have at least an hour's social dance ice per week, and great fun it is, too. But I do know one or two free skaters, who have no such outlet, yet they are on the ice regularly and having fun. I have noticed that they don't always progress very fast, if at all, though.

For myself, I have decided not to compete my Interpretive piece at the British Adult Championships, and am wondering whether I've slightly shot myself in the foot. Robert and I have entered for couples dance, so there is plenty for us to work on as a couple, but I have a horrible feeling that until it is time to work on next year's piece, my lessons will be "same old, same old", all the same exercises that I'm heartily sick of! I plan to have Words with my coach when he gets back from holiday. I would like to be working for something, but as I'm not doing much in the way of solo work any more..... Maybe I'll work for our Field Moves tests; I have Dance Moves up to the level of my ability - Robert is nearly ready to test Level 3, but I'm not - but I could certainly do Level 1 Field Moves, and perhaps level 2.

flippet
08-27-2004, 08:30 AM
Satisfaction and drive comes from within and for most skaters I know it's much more based on what the skater feels than how others' (judges etc) feel about their skating.
I think this is it, really. Skating is really a very individual, very mental activity, in addition to the physical. The 'drive' can be having the satisfaction that you told your mind to tell your body exactly what to do---and it finally did it! That yesss! moment can happen in a totally empty rink; you don't really need anyone else to see it (even if it would be nice), and sometimes you really don't need anyone else telling you that well, even if you 'did' it, you still don't look like Michelle Kwan. Skating is like painting, or poetry--there are plenty of people who paint or write because they like to see what they produce--but they'd either prefer not to show it to others, or if they do, they realize that tastes differ, and what may be perfect to express the throughts and feelings of the artist, may not seem 'perfect' to the onlooker.

If you skate mostly because your heart needs to, then why bother with what anyone else thinks, because it doesn't matter anyway.

garyc254
08-27-2004, 08:58 AM
Angelskates that was beautifully said. ITA

I don't need to prove myself to anyone but me (and possibly my coach).

Personal satisfaction is a very strong driving force.

sk8er1964
08-27-2004, 09:43 AM
I'm with Mrs. Redboots and fadedstardust on the testing issue. I guess it helps me to establish goals beyond "I'm going to learn x element". It's more like "I'm going to learn x element and perfect it to the point that I will pass the test". Plus, you can't compete (which I love to do) until you pass the required tests - so if you want to compete they become a necessity.

angelskates mentioned satisfaction. I can't tell you the satisfaction I felt when I passed my Intermediate moves (the first test I took that wasn't a requirement for me to compete) higher than passing average! Or the satisfaction at my placement at Mids this year (which I couldn't have entered without first testing). It wasn't that I needed the judges to validate me, it was more that the judges marks were an external reward for my hard work. I dunno, kind of hard to explain.

:arrow: Jazzpants - please hang in there. I know it can be awful darn tough, especially when you've worked so hard. Remember, we're all behind you no matter what you decide to do! :bow:

sk8pics
08-27-2004, 11:49 AM
For me, in a way I need the pressure of a test or competition to do some things, otherwise I may take a long time to learn something new. My coach recognizes that and has said he's knows I'll do skill X when I'm ready --or when I have to. And I love the feeling of conquering nerves or just a hard skill in a competition. I can't tell you the satisfaction I got from skating a good interpretive program recently with everything done really to the best of my ability. It's a feeling of accomplishment. I don't know if I'll ever get those bronze moves to the point where I can test them, but I'll work on them as long as it takes!

But testing and competing is not for everyone. I think someone is more process-oriented may not feel the need to do so. And no one should tell you you're wrong! But I am pretty goal-oriented and need something concrete to work towards.

Jazzpants --Hang in there!

Pat

MQSeries
08-27-2004, 01:53 PM

When a skater test, it isn't about him trying to prove to a bunch of strangers that he can skate. Like I said previously, I think the benefit of testing and passing is that it provide a logical point for a skater to stop spending time on one set of skills and start practicing another set of skills. Plus it provides valuable lessons, especially for the young kids, about setting goals and putting in the necessary efforts to achieve that goal.

People are happy doing different things and achieving different things with their skating. You just end up doing whatever make you feel good at the end of the day.

Lmarletto
08-27-2004, 01:58 PM
But testing and competing is not for everyone. I think someone is more process-oriented may not feel the need to do so. And no one should tell you you're wrong! But I am pretty goal-oriented and need something concrete to work towards.

Pat

I think it can be difficult for competitive, goal-oriented people who appreciate external validation to understand what motivates non-competitive, process-oriented people who couldn't care less about external validation. The rewards are more nebulous, and maybe harder to articulate. For sure, neither are "right" in their approach to life and in many situations their combined efforts complement each other nicely.

Speaking more generally (not specifically to Pat's post) it does seem to me that the competitive, goal-oriented structure that serves elite skating is expected to satisfy every skater, starting from the progression in basic skills. I'm not sure why that is, but as a non-competitive, process-oriented person, I think it distracts from my favorite parts of skating - development of body awareness and control, understanding the ice and interaction with it, musical or rhythmic self-expression. I could take tai chi or yoga or ballet and work very hard at them as physical artforms without ever being pressed to set goals that meet with someone else's approval. Why shouldn't I be able to enjoy skating the same way?

That said, I could very well be interested in testing once I have some testable skills. Not because climbing that ladder will give me a sense of achievement that will really do anything for me emotionally, but because I can see that I might find some very personal emotional value in working on delivering skills on demand. Competition? I can't imagine circumstances where I would feel like I could get anything that interests me out of it. But you never know...a year ago I couldn't imagine wanting things from skating that would require a private coach.

Lu

skaternum
08-27-2004, 02:30 PM
And then we have the people who say their love of skating is really more about the process, sign up for competitions just to challenge themselves with a different "process" (preparing for a competition), but very clearly are more concerned about the results of the process. :roll: Example: "I don't care about the competition. I just enjoy the process of preparing for it. ... Skating is all about the enjoyment of learning for me. ... But I'm not going to test up a level. ... I can't believe so-and-so placed ahead of me! grumble, grumble ... I'm not entering that event because what's-his-name always enters <and wins>."

Been there. Seen that.

Isk8NYC
08-27-2004, 08:55 PM
When I was in my 20's, I tested and competed ISI up to Freestyle 5. Then Life got in the way, so I resorted to just skating for myself. I taught a bit before my Mom became ill and died, then I took a complete break. Skated only to show off a few times a year. I could still do an axel for about 4 years, but then that disappeared without practice.

Imagine my surprise to return to teaching and find MITF, no figures, and (most stunning!), USFS adult tracks and competitions! The USFSA could give a flying fig about adults back in the 80's, but I won't go there.

So, now I'm working on passing all of these tests, given my late return and missing the grandfather clause period. At least I'm having fun, and my students are wonderful.

sk8er1964
08-27-2004, 09:29 PM
I think it can be difficult for competitive, goal-oriented people who appreciate external validation to understand what motivates non-competitive, process-oriented people who couldn't care less about external validation. The rewards are more nebulous, and maybe harder to articulate. For sure, neither are "right" in their approach to life and in many situations their combined efforts complement each other nicely.

:bow:

I usually get the "message too short" error in the Word Association thread :lol:

Chico
08-27-2004, 10:53 PM
faderdust,

I agree with many of the comments already made. For me, I skate because I just love it. I just have this feeling that this is something I should be doing. (hard to explain) I don't test because this isn't really important to me. My internal goals ARE. I push myself because I love doing so. I always want to be "better" and enjoy the challenge of trying to do be. I love being told I probably can't, and proving that I can. I like being competitive with myself. As for competing against others....I do this on practice sessions. =-) I'm also a mom. I've carved out a spot in my life for skating. This spot is hard to keep but I work hard to do so. Finding time for tests and competing just isn't possible right now.

Chico

Mrs Redboots
08-31-2004, 01:18 PM
Angelskates that was beautifully said. ITA

Personal satisfaction is a very strong driving force.Yes, but surely testing is about seeing whether you can do a given set of skills to a set standard? Competing, of course, is seeing how your skills measure up against skaters who are ostensibly at the same level as you - which you might well not be interested in doing. On the other hand, being at a competition is simply the most enormous fun, and it's just not the same if you're only watching!

flo
08-31-2004, 02:42 PM
For adults, there's much more to competing than the "external validation". Many many skaters don't receive the medals or the awards at competitons, but we all receive the experience. It can be wonderful to participate in an event with people who share your passion. Shows are also lots of fun, but not the same. Competing in events such as Adult Nationals provides the opportunity to re-connect with friends from across the country, be encuraged, encourage others, be an active participant in your chosen sport. The competitors are also the skaters who shape the sport, and work for it's evolution.

Michigansk8er
08-31-2004, 05:28 PM
For adults, there's much more to competing than the "external validation". Many many skaters don't receive the medals or the awards at competitons, but we all receive the experience. It can be wonderful to participate in an event with people who share your passion. Shows are also lots of fun, but not the same. Competing in events such as Adult Nationals provides the opportunity to re-connect with friends from across the country, be encuraged, encourage others, be an active participant in your chosen sport. The competitors are also the skaters who shape the sport, and work for it's evolution.

Agreed! :)

Lmarletto
08-31-2004, 05:43 PM
I've carved out a spot in my life for skating. This spot is hard to keep but I work hard to do so. Finding time for tests and competing just isn't possible right now.

Chico

Yup, this is another issue. Over the summer I managed about 4hrs a week on the ice, which was very nice. I haven't made it to the rink once in the last month due to a combination of changing ice schedules and family commitments. In a couple of weeks I will be able to work in about 3hrs a week - until things change again. Skating commitments with deadlines are probably out until the kids are older. I'm not complaining though. I love the fact that every hour on the ice feels like an indulgence.

Lu

fadedstardust
08-31-2004, 06:55 PM
Thank you everyone for your well thought-out points of view. I really enjoyed reading them. I just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to share a little bit of your views with me! :D It definitely sheds light on this topic for me where there hadn't been any before, and I'm always thankful to better understand others.

skateflo
09-01-2004, 04:37 AM
Since I started this thread, I will offer an update. I had one of the most joyous times on the ice yesterday both for a session of practice and then a session with my coach for lesson.

The weight off my shoulders has allowed me to feel more freedom to focus, try new things, even devise my own little dittie sequence to get more comfortable with inside 3's with some speed - coach was impressed. We continue to write exercises and key points in my spiral notebook for reference when I practice.

Coach continues to introduce new things - exercises, new elements, etc.
I really like not having a test structure to have to adhere to, be boxed in by, or to have to focus on week after week. Sometimes, as we all have found, leaving a difficult element for awhile and then returned weeks or months later, can be beneficial.

I'd rather work on fine-tuning my program to music as a way of incorporating all my old and new elements and just being able to share it with my coach - that is all the validation I need for my learning process. I am now comfortable with my final decision.

We never had many adults skating at my 2 rinks during the times I would skate (after work, versus the large number of adults that skate only in the mornings, that I see when I am on vacation.) I did see the 2 adults this week on the 5 pm session after all summer skating at my local rink. One was very welcoming and bubbling about her next competition and the other was unusually aloof.

So yes, I find myself now out of the mainstream of adult skating but now it doesn't bother me. What a peaceful feeling!