View Full Version : Day trips to other rinks

Terri C
08-21-2004, 07:49 PM
Has anyone gotten the urge to make a day trip to skate a freestyle session at another rink?
I'm thinking about doing this next weekend, when I'm off the entire weekend and have no obilgations, with the exception of church, but I can go when I want.
Ideas, thoughts anyone??

jazzpants
08-21-2004, 10:16 PM
Has anyone gotten the urge to make a day trip to skate a freestyle session at another rink?
I'm thinking about doing this next weekend, when I'm off the entire weekend and have no obilgations, with the exception of church, but I can go when I want.
Ideas, thoughts anyone??Not for a freestyle session, but I've traveled about 1.5 hrs. to make it to Santa Rosa and the Snoopy Rink to get my blade adjusted and also to skate the 1st of the weekend session. Had lunch at the Warm Puppy too. (And of course, I got to meet Skippy Baxter too!!!) 8-)

Now if I really want to absorb EVERYTHING, I would have planned for one of the fancier restaurants in the North Bay (instead of eating at the Warm Puppy, but I was hungry and didn't have much time...) Also, I would have also planned for visiting the Schultz Museum and make a short stop over to Calistoga for a mud bath and massage after skating too! *sigh* Ah, well! Next time...

I wonder how many rinks are still doing the "Hokey Pokey" for birthday skating parties? Hmmmm? :)

TashaKat
08-22-2004, 12:05 AM
Hi

I used to work in a job where I was all over the country, at one end of the country one week and the other end the next. I always had to stay for a minimum of a week, sometimes a fortnight. I always took my ice and roller skates with me and would go to the local rinks. I enjoyed it because you get to meet different people and see how different rinks are.

I say go for it and enjoy :)

Mrs Redboots
08-22-2004, 05:53 AM
I second Tashakat's comment! We are thinking of visiting another rink tomorrow, since ours has no early morning patch all next week due to hockey school. :( :x And the week after, we are definitely going to another rink (Tashakat's old one, actually!), which we visit every month or thereabouts.

Isk8NYC
08-23-2004, 06:36 AM
Go ahead! I used to (and still do) skate in a bunch of different rinks, mainly because of scheduling. You'll meet new people, learn new things, and watch new skating programs. (Even I can grow tired of watching the same ones over and over.)

For example, none of the rinks I skate at regularly have a jump harness. I took my daughter to a freestyle session some distance away, where they do have this tool. The jaded mother, who was so blase' about "Oh that's a jump harness." couldn't get over how fascinated the girl was with this tool. (Unfortunately, I didn't know any of the coaches at the rink, so I couldn't get her a "ride" on it!)

Elsy2
08-23-2004, 09:44 AM
I say go for it too. I'm lucky that I have 3 rinks within 30 miles, and it is fun to go to the others and meet new people and see how other skaters are doing.

I also went to an adult skate in my old home town a few years ago. It was very interesting, no freestyle, just skating round and round. Then we went around with partners and everyone changed their partners several times. The rink was packed with adults, I've not seen so many adult skaters in one place except competition. This was Winterhurst in Lakewood, OH.....some of you may know the place.

Michigansk8er and I are planning to meet in Indianapolis sometime. Perhaps we will skate, or else just shop....we'll see!

RoaringSkates
08-23-2004, 12:33 PM
Whenever I travel I try to find a local rink. One of my favorite business trips is to Indianapolis, IN, because there is a rink within walking distance from the hotels and convention center, and I bring my skates for shows and skate at night.

Even here in NY/NJ I once took a day off from work so I could skate at the big famous rink in Hackensack. There were a lot more decent adult skaters in Hackensack than at my home rinks, where I'm usually one of the few. In addition, I got to sort-of-meet Oksana Baiul, accidentally.