View Full Version : skate lessons

stogba
08-12-2004, 10:15 PM
I need some advice. I am 53 years old and have been taking beginner lessons since last January. The first set of lessons I really learned alot. The second set of lessons was the same as the first. Although I know I increased my balance and my skills I did not learn anything new. The second thing is for both sets of lessons I was the best. Which of course is good I guess but I don't want to be the star I want to learn something new. So I want to learn more and I am afraid if I sign up again I'll be put in the beginner lessons again as the rink I go to does not have that many adults that sign up and they just lump us all together. I've seen the next level up class and I know I am not at their level. So, would I be better off trying to arrange private lessons to get me to the next level or should I sign up for beginner lessons again? I have good balance, one foot glides, forward and backward swizzles but apparently I have a mental block about crossovers. Any advice would be appreciated.

Chico
08-12-2004, 10:50 PM
Hi,

Welcome to skating. Isn't this a truly lovely sport? It's a great way to challenge yourself, get exercise and meet wonderful people. I have made great friends who are younger and older than me. I know one gentleman who is 72 and is a great skater! Early skills do come quick and the more difficult skills can take awhile. I would ask the skating director what they would suggest. Private lessons are expensive. The one on one assistance is awesome though. The coach can focus in on just your "problems" and strengths. A quicker pace can be achieved if you practice hard. Group lessons are a great way to meet other adult skaters and build friendships. I guess if I was in your shoes I'd practice more and get even more comfortable with skating with my peers. Save privates for a bit. At the least take semi privates with an adult peer of the same skill level. Good luck.

Chico

dbny
08-12-2004, 11:36 PM
IMO, Private lessons now will do you a world of good. The only danger is that you may get hooked on them! I assume you are talking about forward crossovers. You are not alone. Everyone except the extremely talented (and kids) is scared of them, and with good reason (toepick!). There are a lot of things that can be hindering your crossovers, and having a coach check them out one on one should get you going. If you can find one or two other adults to share a semi-private lesson with you, that would help defray the cost, but make sure you are all at pretty much the same level.

TashaKat
08-12-2004, 11:41 PM
Hi :D

I did private lessons right from the beginning. I did do some group lessons just to get in more skating but didn't really feel that I progressed that much and, although they're cheaper, IMO you get more 'value for money' in private lessons, there is more focus on getting things right rather than just 'getting' a certain move and you can ask to do something inparticular or even ask to learn something new. If you don't want to do a private why not see if there's another adult who would like to share a lesson with you?

I'm not that bothered about the social aspect of group lessons so it doesn't bother me not learning with other people (in fact I get hacked off at the one's that are just there to faff around LOL :lol: ).

You could always try a lesson and see how it goes :)

All the best

Lx

Isk8NYC
08-13-2004, 06:28 AM
It is frustrating to feel that you're on a plateau, staying in beginner an extra class. Understand that class levels aren't necessarily intended to be "passed" in one group lesson session. (ie. 6 weeks) So don't feel that you're weak or anything. Just enjoy yourself and practice, practice, practice. I can't tell you how many skaters I see in groups that never come to the rink other than for lessons. I think I once read that a skater should have a 1:3 ratio of lessons to practice. Keep that in mind.

Private lessons are expensive and addictive, but they can be very valuable. In your case, you can focus the lesson on crossovers, to make sure you master them correctly.

One last, kind of dark, note. When trying to make up group lesson classes, sometimes people get put in the wrong class. It could be that your name was mistaken for someone else, or that your last teacher didn't evaluate your skating or he/she made a mistake. The "wrong class" scenario can also be because they didn't have enough skaters to make up the next level class. This often happens in the Spring, when kids turn to other sports and nice weather.

At my home rink, our director (who rarely makes a mistake) has an instructor check out every group for the first two weeks of lessons. Students can and will be moved to make the groups more homogenous. That way, everyone is challenged, and no one gets left behind. We're lucky: not every rink/skating program does that.

You should chat with the instructor and ask to go over your evaluation before the last session of your current groups. Specifically ask if you're ready to move up the next level. Ask what you should practice after classes. Talk to the Director (preferably during a quiet period) about the fact that the Beginner class isn't really challenging you after two sessions. You would like to move up.

Isk8NYC
08-13-2004, 06:30 AM
I have good balance, one foot glides, forward and backward swizzles but apparently I have a mental block about crossovers. Any advice would be appreciated.
You can also check out this site's archives for tips about crossovers. There are some older threads about skating maneuvers that have really wonderful suggestions.

nerd_on_ice
08-13-2004, 09:33 AM
I went through the same experience of picking up the basics really quickly but then having nowhere to go, so to speak, so I started taking private lessons pretty early on. Around here (Dallas, TX area) it's tough to find group lessons for adults beyond the beginner levels. Most people don't stick with it, or they just want to learn the bare basics in order to play hockey--not that there's anything wrong with that! :lol:

I second TashaKat's idea that while private instruction is more expensive, you will get more value for your money. There's no substitute for individualized attention and working on your particular goals/problems. You get to pick your coach instead of having one assigned to you. And, if you're like me, you'll be more motivated to practice--"I'm paying good money for these lessons and I'm going to get the most out of it!"

Good luck and congrats on all you've accomplished so far!

stogba
08-13-2004, 10:00 AM
Thanks everybody I really appreciate your input. I think the problem really is that there are not enough adults to have all the different levels. When I took the beginner class the second time the instructor told me she was putting 2 levels together. The problem was there was a lady in our class that would not stop holding on to the boards and the teacher spent most of her time with her. She had to, the lady needed alot of help! I do practice as much as I can, at lease 1x per week in addition to my classes. I live 80 miles from the closest rink so that the best I can do. The rink has an adult only public session on Sunday nights and my teacher is often there. I think I'll go and see if I can talk to her about possible private lessons to get me up to the next level. I won't be able to afford too many private lessons so I'll try not to be too dependent on them!

flippet
08-13-2004, 11:22 AM
I live 80 miles from the closest rink so that the best I can do.
Wow, you're dedicated! I'm 60 miles from my rink (at a university) and once I graduated, it was really hard to get there more than once a week for my lesson.

I think a few private lessons would definitely help you, especially if the group instructor's time is (necessarily) unevenly spent. I always did group (I'm poor), but then I pick up on things quickly, and only need the occasional glance or comment. At your level, it's pretty common to need more help and troubleshooting than that, and you'll get that with a private lesson. You may only need them for crossover help, and once you're past that hurdle, you may fit well into a group lesson again.

Another thought---can you 'recruit' some of your friends to take lessons as well? :D If there are more adult skaters registered, they'll be more inclined to split the group by level. The more, the merrier!

NCSkater02
08-13-2004, 12:24 PM
I take both group and private lessons. My groups are essentially privates--I'm the only adult and the only student in freestyle lessons. I think all the other kids together might add up to my age. It means I get two lessons a week, plus additional ice time (included with skate school) and I have the same two coaches. My group coach subbed for my private at competitions this summer when she was out of town.

I think I've got the best of both worlds. :D

slusher
08-13-2004, 07:21 PM
Last year I did group and privates, that is, one group lesson a week, one private lesson a month. (all I could get) What my private coach taught me to do was to practice on my own with some things, so that when I was beyond what the group was doing that it was OK to ditch the group and go to my own little patch of ice and do my own thing. When I didn't always do the group lesson, the group coach got over it pretty quick when she saw I was keeping busy.

And thinking more abou;this, when I take aerobics classes at the Y, it's all one class and the instructor shows three levels of moves, low (me), medium and high (hardbody). A good skating instructor should be able to do that if they teach via progressions and be able to handle a mixed class. Crossovers can go from one foot pushes on a circle to the full thing. Spending time with someone stuck to the boards is no help, at some point they have to let go, other than some minutes of reassurance they have to resolve that mental challenge on their own. However, coaches can get sucked into spending too much time with them and not realize it.

kayskate
08-14-2004, 06:43 AM
You might try supplementing group classes w/ a private every other week. The private may be only 20 min to focus on xovers (or whaterver else you need to move up). I would have the private after the group, if that is possible, on a public session. That would make the most of your commute. Then you can stay to practice.

You may already be participating in other skating-enhancing activities since your ice time is limited. If not, sign up for aerobics, yoga, ballet, or whatever is available in your area.

Kay

stogba
08-14-2004, 01:51 PM
Kayskate I really like the idea of a private lesson after the group. I'll need to talk with my teacher to see if that works for her. I really appreciate everyone's response!