View Full Version : Skaters' ages

figure_skater
08-09-2004, 03:59 PM
i noticed that this forum has mostly adult skaters here. is that true? any younger?

so i started this poll

by the way, i am NOT an adult skater... 8-)

garyc254
08-09-2004, 04:28 PM
by the way, i am NOT an adult skater... 8-)

Having fun isn't the sole domain of the young, just the young at heart. ;)

dbny
08-09-2004, 04:52 PM
Why did you stop at "Over 45"? I'm 57 and know there are others here over 50.

singerskates
08-09-2004, 05:12 PM
Having fun isn't the sole domain of the young, just the young at heart. ;)

Check out my tag at the end. I see you've been reading.

Brigitte

figure_skater
08-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Why did you stop at "Over 45"? I'm 57 and know there are others here over 50.

sorry... i didn't think there were too many older skaters. :lol:

Figureskates
08-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Here's another older skater...58.

I remember when figure skate blades were made of whale bone. :lol: :lol: :lol:

skateflo
08-10-2004, 04:12 AM
And another - I will be 58 in December.

Mrs Redboots
08-10-2004, 06:33 AM
I'm a comparative youngster at 51. Many of the adult skaters at my rink are over 60, and one of the best adult skaters in the UK is nearer 80 than 70.

skaternum
08-10-2004, 08:57 AM
Yeah, this poll is biased toward kids. You have 3, 4, and 5 year increments for the kids, but one big "45 to death" category! 8O May I suggest another poll? As you can see, we have lots of older skaters here. Unless, of course, you only really care about the kids?? :lol:

twokidsskatemom
08-10-2004, 09:58 PM
I have a 3.5 yo a 5yo, neither one on the poll, Im 42 and dh is 52.

montanarose
08-15-2004, 12:13 AM
I second what skaternum just said above: why in the world do you insist upon herding everyone over 45 into a single group/category? A 45-plus skater is very different than a 75-plus skater (and yes, there are quite a few of the latter). There are, after all, thirty years between 75 and 45; just as there are thirty years between 45 and 15. Would you even consider comparing a 40-year-old to a 10-year-old skater? Of course you wouldn't. How insulting of you to assume that a skater over age 45 is, essentially, dog meat and no different (at least in your screwed-up paradigm) from a seventy year-old skater.

I just got back from an adult skating week where many, if not most, of the participants were well beyond age 45. And, more to the point, we had a guest coach who was in her mid-60s and who could skate circles around the whole lot of us, who had charisma and talent up the wazoo, and who exuded an incredible amount of sexuality and joie de vivre.

So please, whoever is doing this poll -- PLEASE recognize that age 45 is not exactly the uppermost limit of adult skating!

dbny
08-15-2004, 02:20 PM
I second what skaternum just said above: why in the world do you insist upon herding everyone over 45 into a single group/category?

Since I was the first to object to the age groups in this poll, I will also answer the above question.

Even at the ripe old age of 57, I remember when my mom turned 50, and I thought that was absolutely ancient. The longer you live, the greater your perspective. Kids thereby suffer from a lack of perspective and really do not understand that there are differences in age groups much older than they. We are all just "old" to them.

Also, now that I think about it, figure_skater did state that her purpose in this poll was to see if there were many younger skaters here: "i noticed that this forum has mostly adult skaters here. is that true?
any younger?
so i started this poll by the way, i am NOT an adult skater... "

kit*kat
08-26-2004, 05:37 PM
im 11 turning 12 in september!! :)

fadedstardust
08-27-2004, 12:33 AM
I think the reason this person set up the poll that way was mainly to see how many kids were on the board (I'm 17- not a KID but not an adult yet either). I guess I see it in her perspective (typical, I know, haha) that if she wants to see how many kids there are, she'd make smaller increments because it is what she was wondering about, and then make one big increment for adult skaters because since she is wondering about the kids and their ages, it doesn't matter, as long as the skater is an adult, how old they are, because it isn't one of their peers and thus makes little difference to them regarding that particular inquiry. That's how I saw it.

As someone said, it seems like it IS a poll geared towards kids. I understand this is mainly an adult board, but I mean, is it a crime if it is? I don't get why people are getting upset about it, if you don't like lumping yourself into the big increment, just skip it and don't answer...I mean kids can post stuff between themselves on this board too can't they, even if there's only a small quantity of them? :) Maybe the title of the thread should have been different than what it is, though.