View Full Version : What Distinguishes You From the Crowd

skateday2002
08-04-2004, 11:55 AM
Here is a fun thread and a way to find out a little more about our skaters.

List your current skate level (example: adult bronze)
and
List the element(s) that distinguishes you from your competitors in your level (example: speed and good spirals)

Here's mine: Adult pre-bronze skater. Distinguishing moves: good height on my jumps.

NoVa Sk8r
08-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Adult silver

Distinguishing moves: Very low sit spin (cannonball position) and good flexibility (donut spin, back grab spiral, back shoot-the-duck/hydroblade).

Silver pairs
Distinguishing moves:Um, nothing spectacular right now. Well, maybe good side-by-side jumps and a 30-second spiral sequence (that gets pruned down to fit in our 2:40 program :cry:

TashaKat
08-04-2004, 12:39 PM
These: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/TashaKat/Purple_boots.jpg and this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/TashaKat/Death_Spiral_PB.jpg this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/TashaKat/Back_Pick-Up__Spiral.jpg

and this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/TashaKat/Hydroblade.gif and finally this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/TashaKat/Kick.gif

Figureskates
08-04-2004, 01:34 PM
My not so bad waltz jump and my extremely bald pate!!

I can reflect light from anywhere in the rink.

sk8er1964
08-04-2004, 09:23 PM
I'm adult gold, and I'm going from what other people tell me -

my footwork and my axel.

I do know I absolutely love both! I'm quite sure they feel much better than they look 8O .

Mel On Ice
08-04-2004, 09:45 PM
adult bronze

distinguished elements: forward inside to back outside spiral sequence; fast footwork in my artistic program; expression on ice

manleywoman
08-04-2004, 10:35 PM
Level: Masters Junior

Distinguishing element: a layback I can hold forever!

Chico
08-04-2004, 10:45 PM
Braver I think. I'm more willing to attempt harder skills than some of my peers. Falling seems to bother me less. Well, you know. My coach has told me that my positive points are strength, soft knees, flexibility, and fast rotation on jumps. She seems like a pretty honest gal. =-) At the least, kind.

Chico

jazzpants
08-04-2004, 11:56 PM
Level: Adult Pre-Bronze (still!!!) :frus:

Distinguishing elements: A combination of things...

New Purple boots (in fact, TashaKat was an inspiration for my new purple boots!!! I LOOOOOOVE PURPLE!!!) Before that, it was black figure skating boots!!!
I wear jazzpants to skate (not skating dress... well, except for tests and competition... then my wearing a skating dress becomes a distinguishing element!!!) :twisted:
Spins and jumps clockwise...
My primary coach!!! I can actually say that I have "Michelle Kwan" as my coach! :twisted: :lol: :P ;)

lizzz
08-05-2004, 01:10 AM
my level :preliminary

What distinguishes me from the crowd I compete against:

I'm 43, they are around 12 give or take a few years
I have a drivers license and car, they don't..hehehe
I have a bank account, they don't!
I work, they go to elementary school!
etc etc! :)

skating wise, I have a heck of alot of fun!!! :P

TashaKat
08-05-2004, 02:20 AM
Oh whoops .... forgot to put my 'level':

Free: UK 'Old' Prelim Free, Elements and Field Moves
Dance: UK 'Old' Bronze Compulsories & Elementary Variation

Beccapoo2003
08-05-2004, 07:46 AM
People compliment me on how well I fall! 8O I even received an award at our club banquet for being an excellent zamboni prospect. Whooohoooo!! :lol: :lol:
Becca from Alabama

johnfisher
08-05-2004, 08:07 AM
People compliment me on how well I fall! 8O I even received an award at our club banquet for being an excellent zamboni prospect. Whooohoooo!! :lol: :lol:
Becca from Alabama

Who would know where to start with what distinguishes you from the crowd Becca. Your hairy chest for one... :lol:

John

skaternum
08-05-2004, 08:26 AM
Hmmm, perhaps we need a whole thread devoted to "What Distinguishes Becca." I'll play! :twisted:

Her propensity for entering every event listed in a competition announcement.

Her ability to drink heavily up until 2 a.m., skate 6:45 a.m. practice ice, "sleep it off" in the car, then compete at 9:30 a.m.!! :bow:

johnfisher
08-05-2004, 09:54 AM
Hmmm, perhaps we need a whole thread devoted to "What Distinguishes Becca." I'll play! :twisted:

Her propensity for entering every event listed in a competition announcement.

Her ability to drink heavily up until 2 a.m., skate 6:45 a.m. practice ice, "sleep it off" in the car, then compete at 9:30 a.m.!! :bow:

Her unique ways with rental cars... :roll:

daisies
08-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Level: Masters Junior II
Distinguishing element: Walleys! :) I usually do three consecutive walleys in my Interp, but I can actually do up to five or six in a row before I hit the wall (literally)!

Terri C
08-05-2004, 06:21 PM
Level: Pre Bronze II
What distinguishes me:
My backscratch spin and power!

jenlyon60
08-05-2004, 07:54 PM
my size

and my weird music (I like unusual European house music)

jestemkkool
08-05-2004, 09:52 PM
my level: USFSA Freestyle 4/5
distinguishing characteristics: I'm preparing for my ppm MITF test and have only been skating for less than 2 years. I am 16 so I compete with kids ages 7-12. I have a car(nice one) and a job. hmmm....I have a cool spiral sequences(high spirals)...FLI/O~Y-spiral~BRI...o yeah- I'm taller then most of my instructors and fellow competitors. :lol:

Mrs Redboots
08-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Who would know where to start with what distinguishes you from the crowd Becca. Your hairy chest for one... :lol:

JohnTo say nothing of her bald head.... ;) Oh, and the barking.....:halo: And the unusual (and delicious) things she chooses to throw on the ice (yum, yum - I didn't know I liked bourbon until this May; now I love it!).

As for me: being grossly overweight; barely able to skate; being funny on the ice.

Level: Old UK Novice Dance and Novice Dance Moves, now credited with Level 3 Compulsory Dances and Level 2 Dance Moves.

TashaKat
08-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Ahem Annabel ...... first of all you'd lost a lot of weight when I saw you last so don't go putting yourself down!!!! Where's that stern look smilie? Secondly you've forgotten another thing that makes you stand out MRS REDBOOTS .......

NCSkater02
08-06-2004, 07:32 PM
Adult Pre-Bronze (not tested yet)

Like Annabel, I am over weight, but I have lost 30 pounds skating :D

I'm also the only redheaded adult I've seen skating.

Sooo, I guess I'm the fat, middle-aged redhead. :roll:

Beccapoo2003
08-06-2004, 08:59 PM
Annabel,
You're an inspiration! :bow: I will be sure to bring an extra bottle of "the good stuff" for you next year! :yum:
You go, girl! :D
Becca from Alabama

Mrs Redboots
08-07-2004, 03:52 AM
Ahem Annabel ...... first of all you'd lost a lot of weight when I saw you last so don't go putting yourself down!!!! Where's that stern look smilie? Secondly you've forgotten another thing that makes you stand out MRS REDBOOTS .......You haven't seen me recently, then... but I hope we'll rectify that in October (you are coming to watch the British Adult Championships now that you're local, aren't you?). And I hope that by October I'll have lost serious weight - I have at least 20 kg to lose, which I certainly won't have done by then, but hopefully will have lost 4 or 5.

And yes, I always wear boot covers for practice (and over-boot tights in competition)... not always red (although always on the first day of camp, so that people like BlueIIIMoon can recognise me!), but one of any number of colours. Today was navy-blue, for example. Tomorrow will be green.

Becca - thanks! I can't wait. :yum:

batikat
08-07-2004, 04:33 AM
Nothing, sadly :cry: ..... I guess I am just a typical run-of-the-mill, not-very-good-but-tries-hard, adult skater - and I so wish I could be more than that.......... :cry: :cry: :cry:

2salch0w
08-07-2004, 08:45 PM
I'm told my speed in general, and out of jumps in particular, is pretty good.

Decent outside eagle.

I can jump a waltz, Salch0w and toe loop the wrong way. This is fun in pairs because I'm lefty and my p is righty.

I'd also like to think that my position in my spirals and camel spin is very nice. I have good flexibility (all that yoga!) and I try to stretch those out as best I can. Now if only I could hold the edge in the camel it'd be pretty swell. ;-)

From a pairs perspective I'm proud of the progress we've made on the lifts. I'm way too small for pairs (5'8" and 148), but with all my time in the gym lifting and my poor partner starving herself and running countless miles, they're getting respectable.

There's another thread about what sux in your skating, so I'll just put it here: spins! Hate em. They do me in every time. I start in new skates next week and I'm going to really try to work on them and conquer it this time.

Tim

Careygram
08-07-2004, 09:40 PM
My presentation and no fear attitude (in singles). Plus the jumps that I have from all the years of gymnastics.

Mind you, my moves make me the biggest wall flower (cave dweller) in terms of a standout!

Mrs Redboots
08-08-2004, 04:20 AM
Nothing, sadly :cry: ..... I guess I am just a typical run-of-the-mill, not-very-good-but-tries-hard, adult skater - and I so wish I could be more than that.......... :cry: :cry: :cry:Nonsense! Anyway, it's your lovely skating dresses that stand you out from the crowd, if you can't think of anything else (she makes her own, and they are beautiful!).

dooobedooo
08-08-2004, 07:27 AM
I'm still skating! :D

(Most of the adults I started with, have packed in ... )

MissIndigo
08-08-2004, 09:10 AM
I can hold an Ina Bauer for the entire length of the rink.

I've made a backward outside pivot my signature move...and I can do a forward outside pivot too! (Those are hard!)

I also taught myself how to do camel spins, and somewhat taught myself a layback spin. Those two spins come easily to me but I still can't do a decent sit spin. :frus:

LoopLoop
08-09-2004, 08:03 AM
I have good extension (not great flexibility though, there is a difference). Pretty good outside and inside spread eagles, plus outside and straight-line bauers.

kayskate
08-10-2004, 07:52 PM
If I were to compete, it would be at Adult silver since I do not have an axel. My distinguishing move would be my spins, most exceptionally my inverted back camel (like the one Josee Chouinard does). I love this spin. I can also do some very unusual combos.

Kay

sitspin89
08-11-2004, 07:28 PM
i have a killer split jump, i cant go any further down on my sitspin without dragging my bum on the ice :roll:, i have awesoem hieght on double flip, and a very consistant double loop, and i have one e pink skate lace and one purple skate lace

kenny leong
08-11-2004, 07:56 PM
Here is a fun thread and a way to find out a little more about our skaters.

List your current skate level (example: adult bronze)
and
List the element(s) that distinguishes you from your competitors in your level (example: speed and good spirals)

Here's mine: Adult pre-bronze skater. Distinguishing moves: good height on my jumps.

Well....I've been about the only guy that wears knee pads, elbow pads and a bicycle helmet on the ice rink in recreational skating sessions. I don't see too many others wearing the same kind of things though. I just thought it was common sense to wear protective gear. I've seen both kinds of skaters...hockey style and figure style skaters hit their heads on the ice ... or knees or elbows etc.... protective gear would have been useful at those times.

Mrs Redboots
08-12-2004, 04:16 AM
Well....I've been about the only guy that wears knee pads, elbow pads and a bicycle helmet on the ice rink in recreational skating sessions. I don't see too many others wearing the same kind of things though. I just thought it was common sense to wear protective gear. I've seen both kinds of skaters...hockey style and figure style skaters hit their heads on the ice ... or knees or elbows etc.... protective gear would have been useful at those times.It is common sense when you are starting out, and many skaters wear padded shorts when they are learning double jumps; however you can't wear them for tests or competitions, so no point in learning to rely on them.

Most of the worst injuries I've known skaters have have either been off-ice, or when they have been standing by the boards thinking of something else! I didn't skate today as I have a wrenched hand caused, not by skating, but by trying to get my ice-cream machine out of the deep freeze where it had frozen in!