View Full Version : The "Good Luck LoopLoop and NoVaSk8r" thread

skaternum
08-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Good luck in your Adult Pairs debut this weekend! Can't wait to hear all about it.

LoopLoop
08-03-2004, 07:42 AM
Aw, thanks, skaternum!
And no matter what happens on the ice I'll be happy when I get to Chocolate World! :yum:

Debbie S
08-03-2004, 08:00 AM
Good luck!! :D

Terri C
08-03-2004, 08:02 AM
Ok, so Skaternum beat me!
My coach is en route to Hershey today- there are skaters from my rink going!
Good luck Sunday and don't eat too much chocolate!

sk8pics
08-03-2004, 08:35 AM
Have fun! Good luck!

Pat

NoVa Sk8r
08-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Thanks, folks. Lots of *Hugs* and *Kisses* for all. :D

But none for me this week ... it's intensive training time.

(Time to start my "train" of thought: I think I can, I think I ... no, wait. I think WE can, I think WE can ...)

jazzpants
08-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Thanks, folks. Lots of *Hugs* and *Kisses* for all. :D

But none for me this week ... it's intensive training time.

(Time to start my "train" of thought: I think I can, I think I ... no, wait. I think WE can, I think WE can ...)No, no... it's "WE think WE can! WE think WE can..." :twisted: (All together you two!!!)

Good luck to you and LoopLoop this weekend!!! And have some chocolate... AFTER the competition!!! After all, this IS Hershey!!! :halo:

NoVa Sk8r
08-03-2004, 11:11 AM
No, no... it's "WE think WE can! WE think WE can..." :twisted: (All together you two!!!)

Haha. I guess you're right. But I wouldn't dare to speak for Loops. Who knows WHAT she's thinking. (I always assume it's, "Why did I get stuck with HIM?!") :P

LoopLoop
08-03-2004, 11:31 AM
Hey, since when can you hear that voice in my head? :lol:
(You know I'm kidding.)

We just have to remember what John Z told us: the first word of pair skating is "we."

dcden
08-03-2004, 02:06 PM
Good luck both of you! Adult pairs are very rare, so it's always good when a new one officially enters the fold. I wish the competition were local so I could watch, but Hershey's a bit far. It will be steamy on the ice, so be prepared.

Nova, have you been making it to lessons? I already missed two of my last three lessons... I blame it on the erratic sleeping schedule induced by my recent trip to Montreal. Hope you guys have worked out that warmup issue... it seems like they are really rushing to get the adult events out of the way, so hopefully you can find a way to get as much time on the ice as possible.

NoVa Sk8r
08-03-2004, 02:23 PM
Nova, have you been making it to lessons? I already missed two of my last three lessons... Hope you guys have worked out that warmup issue... it seems like they are really rushing to get the adult events out of the way, so hopefully you can find a way to get as much time on the ice as possible.

Yup, been making my lesson time on wed mornings at 6:45. It's been singles program like crazy. Plus, coach has been nudging me to do axels. Um, that's not gonna happen that early.

I think we've got our warmup down. We've been practicing a 3-minute spurts for the past few weeks. Since there are only 2 pair teams with 15 minutes for the entire scheduled ice time, I'm guessing (or hoping!) that they'll give us extra time.

We missed you last night at Mt.V.!

mskater
08-03-2004, 02:24 PM
Good luck you too! I didn't realize Hersey was this weekend...I'm sure you guys will do well:]

LoopLoop
08-03-2004, 02:46 PM
It will be steamy on the ice, so be prepared....

Hope you guys have worked out that warmup issue... it seems like they are really rushing to get the adult events out of the way, so hopefully you can find a way to get as much time on the ice as possible.

I skated in the fog there last summer; I think I may have actually disappeared from view at times because I was wearing a white dress. :)

And it's not just the adult events that have the extra-short warmup time, it's that way all week! Even the novices and up.

NoVa Sk8r
08-03-2004, 03:15 PM
We are SO prepared that we don't even NEED a warmup. Ha!

MQSeries
08-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Can we please get a preview of the pair's elements you guys are planning to do? Good luck. Chocolate will taste great whether you win or lose :)

skaternum
08-03-2004, 04:20 PM
Can we please get a preview of the pair's elements you guys are planning to do? Good luck. Chocolate will taste great whether you win or lose First of all, they can't lose. They can only MEDAL! :)

Secondly, the chocolate part is SO true. It must be part of adult pairs skating. After our first competition in pairs, right after we got off the ice, one of my friends presented us each with chocolate bars! She still does after every competition we do together. I have a really gross picture of us still high on adrenaline, shoving chocolate in our mouths. :oops:

NoVa Sk8r
08-03-2004, 05:58 PM
I'm not much of a chocolate fan (only really like bitter or dark chocolate), so Loops can eat for 2!

mikawendy
08-03-2004, 09:07 PM
I'm not much of a chocolate fan (only really like bitter or dark chocolate), so Loops can eat for 2!

Me, too, I only really like dark chocolate. My husband really only likes milk chocolate, so we don't have problems with having to share our respective stashes! ;)

(However, we did try the dark Toblerone bar recently--comes in a black triangular tube and has nuggets of honeyed nougat in it. He _did_ like that, so we do have to share that) :D

One time after skating edge class, one of the skaters shared her chocolate from her trip to London. It was gourmet chocolate from Harrods. Mmm, endorphin rush and chocolate!!! :D :D

Mrs Redboots
08-04-2004, 04:43 AM
Best chocolate in the world is on the Continent. I haven't bought any here in Poland, though - it's been too hot to want to eat any, except in ice-cream (I had the most delicious gianduja ice yesterday!).

Anyway, that's off-topic. Best of luck to you - and :bow: . Me and Robert are way too chicken to do anything more serious than Interpretive Pairs! Our coach would so love us to do Adult Pairs, but..... no way!

And you might be surprised - friends of ours very unexpectedly took first place at Bracknell as the two couples they were up against (a mother and daughter and their respective partners - now, there's brave!) had only been skating together a few weeks, and it showed. Nobody scored more than 1.9 in the whole competition - and that was good enough to win!

mskater
08-04-2004, 09:06 AM
Hey Nova,

If you need me to Tonya Harding anyone you know how to reach me 8-)

I don't think I've got any jobs yet this month;]

NoVa Sk8r
08-04-2004, 09:22 AM
Hey Nova,

If you need me to Tonya Harding anyone you know how to reach me 8-)

I don't think I've got any jobs yet this month;]

Sshhhhhh!!!! Not so loud!

But thanks for the offer, mskater, or should I call you m-Gillooly from now on?

Hmm, maybe I'll enlist you for Peach. :P

LoopLoop
08-04-2004, 09:29 AM

Let's not start any rumors here by taking things out of context! ;)

I prefer dark chocolate, but there's plenty of that in Hershey too.

skaternum
08-04-2004, 10:43 AM
But thanks for the offer, mskater, or should I call you m-Gillooly from now on?

Hmm, maybe I'll enlist you for Peach.

Well, this post is bad on SO many levels! Where to start?? I'll just skip the first part. 8O Speaking as one of NoVa Sk8r and LoopLoop's competitors at Peach, rest assured that my goons will be watching mskater like a HAWK!

mskater
08-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Well, this post is bad on SO many levels! Where to start?? I'll just skip the first part. 8O Speaking as one of NoVa Sk8r and LoopLoop's competitors at Peach, rest assured that my goons will be watching mskater like a HAWK!

LOL:]

-As if I could harm a mouse :halo: But just to be on the safe side I would avoid any desolate areas; just make sure your partner stays close at all times 8-)

NoVa Sk8r
08-04-2004, 01:42 PM
And if we hear any cries of "Why! ... Why!! ... Why!!!" we'll all know what happened. :P

skatingatty
08-04-2004, 04:01 PM
Yes, and since skaternum looks so much like Nancy Kerrigan, she must beware of being whacked w/a baton! Good luck at Hershey, ya'll! Don't 4get to bring a cooler to keep your chocolate intact on the trip home. :)

dani
08-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Hey Nova - Love you and all, but I already have my application in to skaternum for the position of Chief Goon! Haven't heard back yet, though.

Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me ;-)

:twisted:

ps) Good luck in Hershey!

NoVa Sk8r
08-05-2004, 12:26 PM
Hey Nova - Love you and all, but I already have my application in to skaternum for the position of Chief Goon! Haven't heard back yet, though.

Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me ;-)

:twisted:

ps) Good luck in Hershey!

Hmm ... "Mskater vs. Dani: The Battle of the Whacks!" Sheesh, maybe THAT will be the event to watch.

I was concerned about my pair outfit, but (as I told Loops), I WORE IT AT WORK (!) and got the thumbs up from my coworkers. So we're good to go. They also asked what my starting and ending poses were, so of course I just had to oblige!

LoopLoop
08-05-2004, 12:49 PM
I was concerned about my pair outfit, but (as I told Loops), I WORE IT AT WORK (!) and got the thumbs up from my coworkers. So we're good to go. They also asked what my starting and ending poses were, so of course I just had to oblige!

Did you wear the competition pants too? 8O Or just the shirt?

On another note (and speaking for both of us), thanks for the support, everyone! All we want this weekend is a clean program, so if anyone is in touch with the Skategods please let them know.

skaternum
08-05-2004, 12:51 PM
All Goon positions are now filled. Thank you for applying. :)

Chief Goon:
dani -- I've seen that woman land a lutz with a 102 degree fever. I think she's made of the right stuff for the job!

Assistant Goons:
Beccapoo -- Have you seen the muscles on this one? I think she can handle anything mskater throws at her.

skatingatty -- I may need her for legal advice and defense once we're arrested after the brawl.

Michele (not a skatingforums participant) -- She's French and will insult my opponents to death.

NoVa Sk8r
08-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Did you wear the competition pants too? 8O Or just the shirt?

Hahaha. No, next time. Though the shirt would have looked better with the black comp pants than with my cargo shorts and sandals. :P

2salch0w
08-05-2004, 08:22 PM
Holy cow, what did my partner get me into? I'm gonna get whacked in the knees? Yipes! :D

Seriously, good luck you two, from "the other pair". How have you been Marna? Glad to see that we weren't the only team that entered this thing, what fun would that be?

So I want the scoop -- what's your music, what are your elements, costume color, performance-enhancing substance of choice, etc. :) We're doing the "Your Song" instrumental from Moulin Rouge. We'll be <attempting> SBS sit spins, lutz lift, throw loop, SBS flips, spiral sequence, twist lift, pair camel, SBS lutz/loop combos, death spiral.

Looking forward to Sunday. Oh, and you won't even need to whack me. That was taken care of by my softball team last week. Note to skaters: don't play first base with a team that can't throw. I took a nice one in the shin!

Tim (of Tim and Debbie fame)

LoopLoop
08-06-2004, 09:13 AM
OK, OK...no whacking. ;) Wasn't my idea anyway.

Elements: pivot spiral into pseudo-death spiral, loop lift, flip, throw sal, sbs sitspin, spread eagles into loops, footwork into axel lift, waltz-toe tap-salchow, spiral sequence, dance lift, tango camel.

Music is from Return of the King and the costumes are purple. As for performance-enhancing substances, I think that should be obvious given the location of the competition. :P

Good luck to you and Debbie also; we just want to get through it! Really, we had two lessons to put together a Christmas program, and then we started regular lessons in mid-January; so we still consider ourselves "beginner pairs."

See you Sunday!

NoVa Sk8r
08-06-2004, 10:27 AM
I hereby declare Hershey a "whack-free zone." As for Peach? Well, that's a different story. :P

While our music is good, it was Loops's spectacular splicing of the music that makes it work so well. She should win an award on that alone.

No performance enhancers for us. Unless, Loops, you want me to start drinking coffee? Can you imagine me THEN--Holy Spaz-ville! 8O

Till Sunday, folks. And it looks like great weather is in store--low temps and low humidity = NO FOG!--so we won't need any lighthouses to protect us from the boards ...

Terri C
08-06-2004, 10:42 AM
NoVa and Loops,
Have a safe trip to Hershey! And no coffee for NoVa until after his event!!

Mrs Redboots
08-06-2004, 01:33 PM
Michele (not a skatingforums participant) -- She's French and will insult my opponents to death.Why isn't she - a skatingforums participant, I mean? Do invite her; she'd both contribute and learn a lot, I think.

LoopLoop
08-06-2004, 01:35 PM
And no coffee for NoVa until after his event!!

Terri, you know him... no coffee EVER. The results would be downright scary.

skaternum
08-06-2004, 02:48 PM
Why isn't she - a skatingforums participant, I mean? Do invite her; she'd both contribute and learn a lot, I think.

I've tried. I've given her the URL and talked it up, but it's just not something she's ever taken to. She doesn't spend time on the computer for non-work related stuff -- just some digital photography stuff. She's weird that way. She always says, "Oh, yeah. That sounds interesting." But she never goes to the skating sites and pokes around. Even when she was going to Mtn. Cup, I'm the one who had to get her to join the yahoo group. She didn't like getting the email digest, but she just wouldn't take 5 minutes to go online and change her options. She just stopped reading it completely. I gave up trying to get her involved. <shrug>

2salch0w
08-06-2004, 09:44 PM
Wow you guys, how did you get all that content into 2:40? We must be killing time somewhere ... maybe it's that coffee break I take at the 2 minute mark. Hmmmm.

You'll really enjoy your first time competing, and your LAST time being able to call yourself beginners. That was this past March at Sectionals for us -- no pressure, just trying to stay on our feet the first time out. We did really well, so now the pressure starts, because we have to do at least that + a little more each time. So as Debbie tells me all the time, savor it!

You have us on the lifts (again, where are you getting all this time?) and you're doing one more jump than we are. We *just* learned the death spiral -- it's about 50/50, and even when we get it, it isn't that low yet. Who knows what will happen with that.

I'm doing singles (Silver) and interp, too. I must be nuts. Are you guys entering anything else? I wish they had Pairs interp. We have a pretty cute idea for that.

Tim

NoVa Sk8r
08-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Tim,
It's Stephen, of Marna and Stephen (soon to be) fame.

At first, we were a bit anxious about a 2:40 program. I'm technically still a bronze-level skater. But in our holiday show, we did this really long spiral sequence (We call it the "30-second spiral sequence"), but in the pair program, there's no room, so we pruned it down.

I think I'm getting a little excited about performing the routine. Speaking of which, I also entered silver men freeskate. That is going to be interesting, since I altered my program no less than 10 times since I last performed it in March. And it's been getting short shrift in deference to the pair program. I've also been havig dreams where I do my singles program but halfway thru, I start doing my pairs program! :oops:

We're really looking forward to seeing you and Deb compete--we're hoping to learn from the masters!

And don't worry about your shin--I managed to pull a midback muscle this morning in an unsuccessful lift attempt. Other than it being difficult to breathe, I should be fine. :lol:

Careygram
08-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Ah yes, learn from the masters. Remind us to tell you about the time in Lake Placid when we seemed to just run out of rink. We hit said boards and since we had never practiced the move before we just kept hanging on to one another, me cruising along on my knees. Great. Our coach said we did it just like the pros. Great. Oh and our "costume Malfunction". Practicing the twist lift, Tim got his pinky caught under my running top. We flashed a good friend and he said something to the effect of "now that's what I call adult pairs". On second thought, maybe you should take notes from another set of masters. We've got tricks but some of them may get you disqualified.

Good luck tomorrow to all of us. Here's to a chocolate celebration!
Debbie

2salch0w
08-07-2004, 07:41 PM
Like Debbie said ... you'll want to find other 'masters'. LOL

See you all tomorrow.

Hey partner, set TWO alarm clocks. :-)

Tim

Careygram
08-07-2004, 09:35 PM
yeah yeah yeah, who's always waiting for whom??? Remember, I'm the low maintenance partner!

Sweet dreams (of chocolate or just food in general!)

Debbie

NoVa Sk8r
08-08-2004, 08:13 PM
Hurray, we all skated well--no injuries and no falls!
I'm sure Loops or others will report more tomorrow. I am so tired from skating, walking around Hershey Park & Chocolate World, and driving back. Yeah, I don't think I'll be making it to the rink at 6:30am tomorrow.

Loops, I took my friends on the Chocolate World ride, and I think we were a little too giddy. Amanda took pictures of us on the ride as well as when we were buying our loads of chocolate confections. , I think I bought too much chocolate. No, wait, that phrase shouldn't exist! In fact, there was a family of 5 behind me in line, and they were all staring at me since I bought more goodies for myself than that whole family bought for themsleves. I finally turned around and said, "I'm entitled--I'm thin enough!" I don't know if they understood (I heard them speaking Japanese.)

Another funny: I had so much of your glitter on me that people were giving me strange looks (wait; was that from the glitter?!), and the glitter really sparkled in Chocolate World.
Oh, Loops, I bought you that special chocolate item that you requested. I hope I don't eat it before I see you again. :lol:

Well done pair teams!

NoVa Sk8r
08-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Oh, I forgot to report that no one got whacked!

And the weather was simply gorgeous and the ice was nice.

2salch0w
08-09-2004, 05:57 AM
Yes, it was a beautiful day in Hershey. You're right about the ice - it was really nice.

Great job to Nova and LoopLoop on their first time out. A really nice skate all around. I especially liked the eagles into loops and the spirals. You should be proud of your win. We didn't skate our best, but it was still pretty good for us, and you won anyway. You'll be competitive against the rest of the adult pairs field out there! Keep at it.

I really liked your costumes, too. Stephen, a couple of stones on the top part of your shirt would be cool. Oh, and I had glitter all over me, too. I told Debbie for my interpretive that I should have done a West Hollywood male prostitute number.

As for us -- I'm already plotting where to squeeze in that 3rd jump and 3rd lift. I knew you guys had way more elements! I demand a time check. If they can ding Kwan on it, why not you two? LOL

See you guys at the next one of these. Aston in October?

Tim

Mrs Redboots
08-09-2004, 06:01 AM
Will there be a list of results out there anywhere? I am sure I know more skaters there than I think I do.

Well done, all of you! I am envious that you dare to skate pairs - I just don't have the guts to do more than a pivot spiral and side-by-side spirals (plus I'm still too heavy to lift; our "lift" in our free dance is basically an assisted 3-jump!).

LoopLoop
08-09-2004, 08:17 AM
Stephen and I were thrilled when we finished our skate, because our goal for this competition was to do a clean program, and we did that. We had practice ice at 7:20 in the morning, and were a bit concerned because our pair spin was not cooperating AT ALL, but it decided to come back when we needed it.

I think we're at the stage Tim and Debbie were at sectionals last spring; we put in the elements we knew we could do well so that we could concentrate on the performance. This time they put some *tough* elements out there (split twist, real death spiral) and it looked like maybe they were thinking about those and got ahead of themselves, causing a couple of minor glitches along the way. (Amateur psychoanalysis is free, and we all know what that's worth. ;) )

Debbie S
08-09-2004, 08:35 AM
Congratulations to both pairs!

It sounds like you all did really well. Bravo to you for even having the courage to try pair skating as adults, not mention finding the time to practice! :bow:

LoopLoop
08-09-2004, 08:41 AM
Yes, it was a beautiful day in Hershey. You're right about the ice - it was really nice.

As for us -- I'm already plotting where to squeeze in that 3rd jump and 3rd lift. Aston in October?

Tim

Hey Tim, remember that only two pair lifts are allowed in silver; the third one has to be a dance lift (not above the shoulders). We had the stag-position lift right before our tango camel at the end of the program.

We'll see you Halloween weekend!

Marna

flo
08-09-2004, 08:43 AM
congrats all around!

LoopLoop
08-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Congratulations to both Tim and Stephen on their performances in silver men!

Terri C
08-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Marna and Stephen,

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Are you or are have you guys told JZ about this one??

And that candy- Stephen, are you doing you Halloween shopping early for Aston???
By the time we get there, I'll expect a killer program from you guys!!! :lol:

skaternum
08-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Congrats to everyone. It takes guts to skate adult pairs!

mskater
08-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Kudos to everyone that competed! And "big-ups" to Stephen for skating so well without having to solicit my "services";] Hey, until I'm needed I'll just keep lurking in the background...think of me as an Illuminatus from "Angels and Demons" or something:]

I'm jelous of everyone that has gotten that first competition of the season out of the way...

Glad everyone had a good time!

NoVa Sk8r
08-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Kudos to everyone that competed! And "big-ups" to Stephen for skating so well without having to solicit my "services";] Hey, until I'm needed I'll just keep lurking in the background...think of me as an Illuminatus from "Angels and Demons" or something:]

I'm jelous of everyone that has gotten that first competition of the season out of the way...

Glad everyone had a good time!

No, Chad, thankfuly your services were not required. But who knows what the future holds. You can be a "hanging Chad" until then. :)

NoVa Sk8r
08-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Congrats to everyone. It takes guts to skate adult pairs!
And A LOT of ibuprofen (a.k.a. "vitamin I")!!!

NoVa Sk8r
08-09-2004, 10:43 PM
Are you or are have you guys told JZ about this one??

And that candy- Stephen, are you doing you Halloween shopping early for Aston???
By the time we get there, I'll expect a killer program from you guys!!! :lol:
No word to JZ just yet, but I'm sure he's forgotten all about us.

All that candy: It'll be long gone before Aston, heck, before this weekend. (Most is actually fodder for my fellow office workers.)

Alright Loops, maybe we can redouble our efforts for Peach. We do have a lot of cleaning up and revision and refinement to do.

I also have a feeling that Loops just may weigh a few extra lbs this week. But that's OK, she's earned it. She really was the rock in our performance--steady steady steady. (I actually forgot our program 3/4 of the way thru :oops: but after turning around and seeing her, it all came back to me--our spiral sequence was saved at the last second!)

LoopLoop
08-10-2004, 09:09 AM
I also have a feeling that Loops just may weigh a few extra lbs this week. But that's OK, she's earned it.

What's the point of going to Hershey and NOT bringing home a big bag of goodies? ;)

NoVa Sk8r
08-10-2004, 10:12 AM
What's the point of going to Hershey and NOT bringing home a big bag of goodies? ;)

Well, of course... just don't eat it all at once!