View Full Version : Back from Wilmington

Debbie S
08-01-2004, 09:43 PM
I got to Wilmington at about 11 and left at around 3. When I got there, they were running a bit behind schedule so I got see most of the adult spins and compulsory comps. Phillyskater did an excellent job winning the compulsory. And she also excelled as the Halloween comp PR rep. :)

I saw sk8pics's interpretive - great job, especially the spirals! I also saw a number of really good performances in the Gold FS and interpretive and improv events. Another of my coach's students was competing Pre-Bronze - it was her first competition - and she skated really well.

As for me, well, I knew Bronze would be tough. I had thought there were only going to be 4 skaters, so I figured I would be guaranteed a medal, but b/c of an admin mix-up, there ended up being 5. And yes, I was the one who went medal-less. But I skated well, and my coach was pleased. I landed a loop for the first time in comp (yay!) and my camel-sit was OK - let's just say that given the way my practices went this week, I was glad to be able to actually get in the sit position from the camel and stay there for a couple of revs. Unfortunately, my sal-loop combo was not to be - I messed up on the loop part. :frus: But I did finish with the music, which was what I was most worried about.

Anyway, it's back to Pre-Bronze for me for the near future - that's the level I'll compete FS at in the Halloween comp, assuming I can go. At this point, I'd like to try to do Eastern Sectionals this year in NYC, which means doing Bronze, but hopefully by then, I'll have at least a flip, if not a lutz, and a better combo spin.

Now that I'm finished with my club's show and my summer comp, it's on to Bronze moves. Eeek!

NoVa Sk8r
08-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the report ... Sounds like you did well with meeting a few goals yourself. Onward and upward!

See you at the Halloween Classic 8-)

jazzpants
08-02-2004, 12:55 AM
Debbie: sounds like you do a wonderful job at Skate Wilmington! Good going on getting that loop and camel-sit!!!

GOOOOO, Phillyskater!!! :mrgreen:

Glad to hear that sk8pics skated great! I was thinking about her tonight just before my test.

sk8pics
08-02-2004, 08:37 AM
Glad to hear that sk8pics skated great! I was thinking about her tonight just before my test.

Well thanks, but why were you thinking about me just before your test? :??

Debbie -- Thanks! And I enjoyed your program, too. BTW, the SCNY Winter Classic is being held in conjunction with Eastern Adult Sectionals, and they usually have pre-bronze, so you always have that option if you don't want to do Bronze there. It was really nice seeing you again!

As for me, I had a great time. I love the atmosphere at adult-only competitions, and although Skate Wilmington also has kid events, the atmosphere is great and I don't feel like adults are an afterthought there. Great job on running the competition and posting results in a timely fashion.

I was really quite nervous beforehand, but my coach did a good job of calming me down, including a shoulder massage :bow: which always really helps. And then at the end of the warmup, as I was waiting to be introduced, one of the other skaters (who is a friend of mine) came over and hugged me before she got off the ice. That was so nice of her. And then everybody made a lot of noise when I was introduced, and that was nice. I was very happy with how I skated, and my coach said the waltz jump sequence was probably the best he'd ever seen me do. And I'm very proud of that spiral sequence, which we only put in about a month ago. I will post a link to the photo of the RFO spiral when the pictures show up on line, in the picture thread. And, the best part, I didn't fall down when I did my little curtsy-like thing at the end! ;) After, I got a lot of compliments from people who hadn't seen me skate in a while; apparently I've gotten better, which is nice. One of the other coaches had some really nice things to say to me and told me she was very proud of me. :D And some of you might remember Yazmeen who used to post here. She came and brought me flowers! It was so nice of her. :bow:

All in all, a great experience. I encourage anyone in the area to come next year!

Pat
edited to fix a typo

flo
08-02-2004, 09:04 AM
Congratulations to all! Debbie - that's pretty impressive to put in your camel sit! Way to go!

phillyskater
08-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Phillyskater did an excellent job winning the compulsory. And she also excelled as the Halloween comp PR rep. :)

Why, thank you, Debbie!! That's very sweet of you. Compulsory moves is my "fun" event - for some reason, I've always had success with it (as opposed to freestyle, which is hit or miss :oops: ). And I made sure that every adult skater in that building didn't leave without a Halloween Classic application in their hand! :)

I saw sk8pics's interpretive - great job, especially the spirals!

sk8pics did a GREAT job in the interp. As Dick Button would say, those spirals were "First Rate!"

As for me, well, I knew Bronze would be tough.

Debbie, I thought your Bronze program was really solid. All of your landings and exits from spins were really strong. It was a tough field. Helga (1st place) is a really strong Bronze skater and has been winning that event for years. You did great!!!

I think as a whole, the Adults had a really good showing at Wilmington this year. (Go us!!!) The Freestyle events were strong and Interps were all really solid. Nice job, everyone! I've been inspired to FINALLY get my Interp program ready for Halloween. On my way into work this morning, all I could think about was possible choreography -- can't wait to lace up the skates!

Good luck to anyone doing Hershey.

philly

flo
08-02-2004, 11:11 AM
Hi,
What were the interpretive programs?
Thanks,

sk8pics
08-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Compulsory moves is my "fun" event - for some reason, I've always had success with it (as opposed to freestyle, which is hit or miss :oops: ).
sk8pics did a GREAT job in the interp. As Dick Button would say, those spirals were "First Rate!"

I think as a whole, the Adults had a really good showing at Wilmington this year. (Go us!!!) The Freestyle events were strong and Interps were all really solid. Nice job, everyone!

Hi Philly, Yes, you did do a great job in compulsories! I laughed when you called it your "fun" event because for me, there's always some element that I can't do or I'm afraid of, so I always breathe a sigh of relief when it's over.

And thanks for your compliment on my spirals. My coach and I have worked so hard on them off ice; I'm probably one of the least naturally flexible people around so it's been hard, but it feels so good to have made real progress.

And yeah, go us!!

Flo-- My interpretive was to Nora Jones' Don't Know Why. Another skater did, oh I forget the exact name, but we call it "Mama" and I think it's from a broadway musical ("If you're good to Mama..."). She wore a flapper dress. The third program was to a soft ballad type of song, just beautiful, but I forget the name. At one point, the skater did a back spiral with her hands clasped before her as if in prayer (which is what the lyrics were about at that point) and it was just beautiful.

Pat

luna_skater
08-02-2004, 01:52 PM
Another skater did, oh I forget the exact name, but we call it "Mama" and I think it's from a broadway musical ("If you're good to Mama..."). She wore a flapper dress.

Sounds like Chicago.

Debbie S
08-02-2004, 02:19 PM
Debbie, I thought your Bronze program was really solid. All of your landings and exits from spins were really strong. It was a tough field. Helga (1st place) is a really strong Bronze skater and has been winning that event for years. You did great!!!

Thanks, philly! Yep, it was a tough field. From the bits and pieces I saw, everyone did very well. I bought the video, so I'll be able to see the comp in its entirety.

A big difference bet Bronze and Pre-Bronze skating (that I've noticed) is the overall quality of skating - higher jumps, faster spins (and held for more revs) and more flow in the skating. My jumps are pretty small - I think I probably could have landed a flip and lutz and still placed 5th. But now I know what I need to work on to be competitive in a stronger field.

I think I'll stay at Pre-Bronze for FS for a while, but I think I'll try the Bronze compulsory at Halloween - if I go. The compulsory can work both ways - on one hand, it forces you to do something you might not want to do, but it also limits the elements and kind of puts everyone on a level playing field. Then, the challenge is to improve those specific elements. The way the Bronze compulsory is set up for Halloween, the hardest jump is a loop, so I won't feel like I'm in over my head. But of course, the challenge will be to really improve that jump as well as my sit spin. But b/c the content of the program is more "regulated", I find that challenge encouraging.

And yep, the song "When You're Good to Mama" is from "Chicago". Our club's recent show had a Hollywood theme, and "Chicago" music was featured. One skater was going to skate to that song, but unfortunately, she had to back out of the show for health reasons. I thought the skater who did it yesterday did a great job - she was so into the music!

Terri C
08-02-2004, 04:15 PM
Debbie,
Sounds like a personal best to me- which is what I go for when I skate up to Bronze. Geeze, I don't have a camel, much less a camel sit or sal-loop combo.

Reading yours and Joanna's post about her test yesterday made me really want to get out on the ice and work today. Unfortunately, we have this thing off the coast called Alex that is giving us torrential downpours, resulting in flood watches and warnings! :evil:

jazzpants
08-02-2004, 04:45 PM
Well thanks, but why were you thinking about me just before your test? :?? Maybe more like when I was on the web yesterday before I left for warming up on the ice Sunday... but hey, I need a distraction from thinking about the test and getting TOTALLY STRESSED about it. :P

sk8pics
08-02-2004, 06:41 PM
Maybe more like when I was on the web yesterday before I left for warming up on the ice Sunday... but hey, I need a distraction from thinking about the test and getting TOTALLY STRESSED about it. :P

LOL! Glad to be a distraction for you! But as far as stressing, you need someone to give you a shoulder massage or something like that to help you relax, like my coach does for me! :lol: The funny thing is, he knows exactly where I get tight in my shoulders after all this time, so he works on that spot, and it really helps me! :bow:

Keep plugging away, Jazzpants.

jazzpants
08-02-2004, 06:50 PM
LOL! Glad to be a distraction for you! But as far as stressing, you need someone to give you a shoulder massage or something like that to help you relax, like my coach does for me! :lol: The funny thing is, he knows exactly where I get tight in my shoulders after all this time, so he works on that spot, and it really helps me! :bow:

Keep plugging away, Jazzpants.Oh, but my coach does try to tell me to relax, kids around with me and tells me that I'll do fine... but that still doesn't do me good! I think I need a tranquilizer (or Nyquil at the very least...) :P :twisted: :lol:

Mrs Redboots
08-04-2004, 04:37 AM
Oh, but my coach does try to tell me to relax, kids around with me and tells me that I'll do fine... but that still doesn't do me good! I think I need a tranquilizer (or Nyquil at the very least...) :P :twisted: :lol:No you don't - you just need to test and compete more, and get used to it. Or decide you hate it so badly it's just not for you, and do something else with your skating instead (lots of people who feel like that train as coaches, or even judges).

Well done, everybody - it sounds like a great time was had by all! Having not skated for a week, I feel like I've totally forgotten everything I knew.... we shall see, on Friday, whether I have or not!