View Full Version : Klingbeil has a new light skate!

sk8er1964
07-31-2004, 05:25 PM
I was at my fitters the other day, talking about getting new skates. Klingbeil has a new "super light" boot - 8 oz lighter than the regular boot. I tried on a pair and they felt wonderful! Nice and cushy in the inside, and weightless compared to what I have (of course, there was no blade attached, which adds quite a bit of weight). I need the stronger version (3 - the ones I tried on were a 2 and too soft), so I have a pair on order.

I should get my new boots in about five weeks. Yippee!

skaternum
07-31-2004, 06:11 PM
Please keep us posted as to how they work out. I'd love to hear how they hold up.

vesperholly
07-31-2004, 09:14 PM
What makes them lighter? I know Reidell put cork in the heels instead of leather which made them lighter. This is great if they work out - I love my Klingbeils but one of the drawbacks is definitely how heavy they are.

MissIndigo
08-01-2004, 12:27 PM
...one of the drawbacks is definitely how heavy they are.

Hear, hear. Sometimes I feel like I'm skating with casts on my feet.

sk8er1964
08-01-2004, 06:47 PM
What makes them lighter? I know Reidell put cork in the heels instead of leather which made them lighter. This is great if they work out - I love my Klingbeils but one of the drawbacks is definitely how heavy they are.

You know, I don't know. Anyone closer to NY have any info?

Debbie S
08-01-2004, 09:10 PM
I love my Klingbeils but one of the drawbacks is definitely how heavy they are.

Not to get OT here, but I'm going to be getting customs at some point (like 1 year from now after I finish b-school and (hopefully) have a full-time job). My coach has Klingbeils and loves them, but I'm also considering Harlicks. What's the word on which is lighter? I previously heard that Harlicks were the heaviest skates, and then last week an adult skater I was talking to told me Klingbeils are the heaviest. I'm kind of a small adult (5'0" and 100 lbs) so I definitely don't want skates that are too heavy.

vesperholly
08-01-2004, 10:02 PM
I had terrible problems with my custom Harlicks, and none whatsoever with my Klingbeils. If I had to guess, the Klingbeils were slightly heavier but not enough so that it made a significant difference. If I can find my old Harlicks I'll weigh them against the Klingbeils (both have the same blade).

I think boot weight is vastly overrated anyway. I wouldn't say that it's adversely affected me enough for me to want to switch to a lighter boot. For me, fit and durability are the most important and Klingbeils were it.