View Full Version : The "Good Luck Joanna" thread

skaternum
07-30-2004, 04:50 AM
Just wanted to wish Joanna (and anyone else who's testing this weekend) good luck! Who else is testing?

Terri C
07-30-2004, 05:09 AM
Joanna,
GOOD LUCK ON SUNDAY!!!

Hopefully,I'll be next, possibly taking in the fall!

Terri

Mrs Redboots
07-30-2004, 05:18 AM
KNOCK 'EM DEAD, GIRL!

Might as well keep this in your "good-luck" purple! You'll be absolutely fine; just keep breathing and remember, the judges are looking for excuses to pass you, not reasons to fail you!

Mind you let us know how it goes; I don't know when I'll next check my e-mail or this forum, as I'm on an unexpected week's holiday in Warsaw, Poland, at the moment. But I'll be home again on Friday of next week, and will check then, if not before. I fully expect to hear that you've passed!

NickiT
07-30-2004, 05:26 AM
The best of luck to you Joanna. I'm sure you'll do just fine. Let us know how it goes!

Nicki

dani
07-30-2004, 05:35 AM
Good luck!!! I know you will do well!!

Hugs!!

Danielle

jenlyon60
07-30-2004, 06:39 AM
GOOD LUCK !!!

GOOD LUCK !!!

GOOD LUCK !!!

Keep your head up

Smile

Relax

Bend your knees (when you're supposed to :) )

Have Fun

And yes... the judges would much rather Pass someone than hand out a Retry...

montanarose
07-30-2004, 09:33 AM
Hey Joanna -- Best of luck to you! Go out and dazzle 'em with those spiffy purple boots.

Ellen

MissIndigo
07-30-2004, 10:21 AM
Good luck! I want this to go well for you, and do let us know how the experience goes!

LoopLoop
07-30-2004, 11:00 AM
Good luck, Joanna! Bend those knees, stay off the toepicks, and smile at the judges!

PattyP
07-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Best of luck to you Joanna! Although you don't need it because you are SO ready for this test! Just remember to breath and you will do great.

I am sending a long distance ice blessing for your test session!

Patty

jazzpants
07-30-2004, 12:43 PM
AWWWW, SHUCKS!!!! 8O :oops: :mrgreen: 8-)

Thank you so much, everyone!!! I'm deeply touched!!! :) :) :) (And I'll let you guys know what happens as soon as I get on the computer after the test.)

GOOOOOO "Adult Nationals 2005 or Bust" Group!!! http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/kao/otn/pcheerleader.gif

Elsy2
07-30-2004, 05:17 PM
I would love to see you competing at AN.....Be confident and it will show!

sk8pics
07-30-2004, 06:36 PM
GOOD LUCK! I'm sure you'll do your best!

Pat

flutzilla1
07-31-2004, 05:56 AM
Sending a great big good luck and sk8 gr8 from all the way here Down Under in Sydney to you Joanna! I know you'll do great! :)

Terri C
07-31-2004, 07:10 PM
Hey guys,
It just dawned on me that Debbie S is competing tommorow at Skate Wilmington- so let's pass on some luck to her!!

For tommorow- good luck Joanna and Debbie!

Debbie S
07-31-2004, 10:58 PM
Thanks, Terri! Don't forget about sk8pics, who is competing in interpretive tomorrow at Wilmington. :) Hopefully, I'll get to watch.

Good luck, Joanna! Btw, I love the little cheerleader icon in your siggy line.

jazzpants
08-01-2004, 02:50 AM
Thanks, Terri! Don't forget about sk8pics, who is competing in interpretive tomorrow at Wilmington. :) Hopefully, I'll get to watch.

Good luck, Joanna! Btw, I love the little cheerleader icon in your siggy line. Good luck sk8pics and Debbie S!!! Sk8 Gr8... SMILE...and go kick some ice butts there!!! :mrgreen:
http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blob_box.gif

Debbie S
08-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Thanks, Joanna! How did your test go?

I'm about to start working on Bronze moves, so I'll soon feel your pain. :)

jazzpants
08-02-2004, 12:25 AM
I didn't pass... I got a retry!!! :cry:

The worst part is that I was about .3 to .5 off from passing, which tells me that I was definitely not ready to take the test! As I mentioned before, I took this test at this time under protest and I fully expected not to pass. I was quite nervous and stressed before the test and couldn't get the feel of my legs in time to skate my test session.

But you know something, my coaches were not totally wrong in making me test before I'm ready. I was chickening out two months ago and I wasn't pushing hard enough!!! I'm glad the coaches pushed me to take the test before I'm ready, b/c I wouldn't have pushed myself as hard and I would have never gotten those dreaded forward power 3's.

Also, to make matters even worse, they rescheduled the test session at the last minute. I was supposed to test at around 6:30pm and I got to the rink at 5:45pm (my primary coach says to show up at 6pm) just to find out that I was supposed to be on the ice warming up with the group that's already on the ice. 8O 8O 8O Needless to say, I hurried up and got my dress and skates on, while another fellow skater called my primary coach to tell him to get his butt over here to the rink!!! When my coach found out what happened, he was royally pissed!!! So I ended up skated my test at about 6:15pm instead (warm up at about 6pm.) The test chair even called a couple of days before and he even said my test starts at 6:30pm. :evil: :x :frus:

Lesson learn from this:

Show up at the beginning of the session, even if you're not schedule to skate for 2 hours!!! Test session schedule changes on a dime and you never know when they're gonna make you test an hour earlier than planned. (Of course, then what's the point of putting out a test session schedule?!?!? They might as well tell everyone to show up at the beginning of the session.) :evil:
It's the process of getting better at your skating skills that's the important thing, not whether you pass the test or not. And this critical part is why I'm glad my coaches pushed me to take the test now.
OVER-prepare for the test!!! Nerves will instantly knock at least .3 off your overall score!!!
I know what I need to work on... which was practically everything my coaches have been telling me to work on. But I also need to work on my nerves. (Is there a "Zen of Skating" somewhere out on the Internet?)
If you are getting ready for the Bronze Moves, I strongly suggest two things: bend those knees and PUSH!!!
5 step mohawks... be careful not to skate on a flat (as I did...)
I want to thank everyone for being so supportive (both online and offline people...) You guys are GREAT... and I am deeply touched!!! :) I will work harder to pass this test the next time around. It's not a totally loss!!!

Mrs Redboots
08-02-2004, 04:36 AM
Well, I'm really sorry to hear you got a retry, but you've obviously learnt a lot from the experience. The judges' notes will help you learn what you need to focus on to get this test out of the way - and next time, I'm sure, you'll do better.

If, or rather since, nerves are letting you down, why not either (a) do some local competitions at your level to get used to skating before an audience and/or (b) do some exercises to learn how to conquer your nerves? It can be done - you can use them to work *for* you, not against you.

skaternum
08-02-2004, 05:04 AM
I didn't pass... I got a retry!!!

Sorry to hear you didn't pass. It's never fun to get a retry, but, as Mrs. Redboots said, at least you learned something about testing.

Show up at the beginning of the session, even if you're not schedule to skate for 2 hours!!! Test session schedule changes on a dime and you never know when they're gonna make you test an hour earlier than planned. (Of course, then what's the point of putting out a test session schedule?!?!? They might as well tell everyone to show up at the beginning of the session.)

I hate to say it, but having you show up at 6:00 seems kinda naive. (Don't tell your coach I said that! <grin>) Running 45 minutes early is a bit extreme, but 'round here, everyone knows to show up one full hour before testing. Our test chairs try not to have things run more than 30 minutes early, but sometimes it can't be helped. Having said that, I can tell you that my very first testing experience was similar to yours. I got there 45 minutes early, and while I was in the bathroom changing, the test chair came in and yelled at me that my group will go warm up as soon as I get my skates on! 8O Needless to say, I was freaked. I don't know how I managed to get through it, but it wasn't pretty. I eeked out a passing score (it was the old Bronze freeskate test, pre-MITF), but yuck! I hated that feeling of being rushed and freaked out. You have my complete empathy!

So now you know how to over-prepare and can go knock 'em dead next time!

Debbie S
08-02-2004, 07:59 AM
I'm sorry to hear you got a retry, Joanna. But it sounds like you learned a lot from the experience. The fact that you put the test out there is a major accomplishment, especially getting those power 3's. :bow:

And it sounds like you handled yourself well after the last-minute changes - I would definitely be freaking out! My club's recent test session ran about 5 minutes early (at least by the time I got there). I think the general advice at clubs around here is to arrive 1 hour early.

I know what you mean about test nerves. When I got out to do my Pre-Bronze moves, my legs were shaking. I had subcurves everywhere. And I had practiced like crazy before the test, including 3 sessions that morning and about 1/2 hour on a public session at the other ice surface at my rink right before my test warm-up. I learned a lot from that experience, too,

Bronze moves are tough (as I'm about to find out). Lots of skaters have to retry it, including one of my coach's other adult students. But then 2 weeks ago, she took her Bronze moves and passed - and was a couple tenths above the passing level.

Now that you know exactly what you need to work on, you can get out there the next time and kick butt!

And do Skate SF after all - don't let this temporary setback keep you from having fun with your skating!

sk8pics
08-02-2004, 08:42 AM
Aw, I'm sorry you got a retry! But like you said, it's the whole process that counts, and you will become a better skater!

I can sympathize with you about the whole being rushed, thing. I always get to the rink way early for tests or competitions. I'm sure my coach thinks I'm nuts, but I just hate the whole last-minute thing. In fact, at Skate Wilmington, they skipped the ice cut before my event, so I ended up being rushed anyway! The monitor was laughing (sympathetically) with me because I'd gone over to check the schedule with her to make sure there would be no surprises, and then, surprise! But it all worked out.

I'm sure you'll keep plugging away and get that test! Did you feel like you skated as well as you could? I know you said you had some trouble with nerves. Are there any tips you'd like to share (besides not stepping on a flat in the 5-step)?

Hang in there!

Pat

slusher
08-02-2004, 01:04 PM
I agree with nerves knocking points off your score. I don't understand the points thing, in Canada it's Excellent down to Needs Improvement and they can give you all excellents and one lousy NI which makes you fail the whole test. So, I've always tried to prepare to the excellent level, figuring that would level out to a satisfactory !

I've nerves too and last year decided to do dance to get used to being in a test situation but to have some support by having a partner out there. I'm, er old enough, that I don't have to do solo dance. I figure by the time I get ready for Preliminary skills (about the same as Bronze moves I think, it's got a groovy mohawk pattern too) I will be in better shape to step out on that ice all by myself.

Congratulations for trying the test. Doing so and writing about it here give me encouragement to set goals for myself, that I will eventually figure out 3 turns also.

Oh yeah, the one skating club job I will never do is being Test Day chair because I'm not good at scheduling or organizing. Sorry about being rushed.

jenlyon60
08-02-2004, 01:50 PM
Joanna -- I hope you got good useful comments that you and your coach can use to improve your MIF for the next time you test.

--jsl

Re test sessions....

I've seen many a test session run early at the very last moment due to no-shows, or have last minute scheduling changes because at the last minute, coaches and/or parents decide students really aren't ready, or (in the winter especially) one or more testers get sick.

On the flip side, I've also seen test sessions where skaters leave in plenty of time to be at the rink at least 30 minutes to an hour early, then get stuck in traffic and end up just barely making it in time.

I've also seen it where a tester has gone to the wrong rink. Our club alternates between any of 3 different rinks for test sessions, and the test chair clearly marks on TOP and BOTTOM of the test schedule which rink the test session is at, but every so often, someone forgets and goes to the wrong place.

backspin
08-02-2004, 03:30 PM
It doesn't really take much for a test session to get off schedule--one or two novice or junior moves scratches, & BOOM, they're running 1/2 hour early! While it seems sessions around here tend to run late rather than early, I always make sure my skaters are there at least an hour ahead, to be safe.

Also, I think you're right, there is a value in going out in front of judges, even if the test fails. I wouldn't send a student out who I didn't think had a shot (you don't want to embarrass them either!!), but I have sent a few out that I knew could go either way, to give them the experience. Sometimes they fail, & sometimes they pass!

Good for you for having a great attitude & taking this for the learning experience it was. Keep working & next time you'll be that much stronger! 8-)

daisies
08-02-2004, 08:31 PM
Sorry to hear you didn't pass, Joanna. Keep working at it, I know you will pass next time!

Julie

jazzpants
08-03-2004, 02:04 AM
I'm sure you'll keep plugging away and get that test! Did you feel like you skated as well as you could? I know you said you had some trouble with nerves. Are there any tips you'd like to share (besides not stepping on a flat in the 5-step)? Nope! That was NOT my best skate!!! I've done a lot better in practice! But given that, most of the stuff that I was marked down on was an indication that I was just not ready for it yet!!!

What did I learned from it? (Especially if you are working on Bronze Moves)

Nerves will take away anywhere from .3 to .5 points off your average score. Don't take the test until you can do it on 3-4 hrs sleep with Nyquil in your system!!! My coaches are gonna work on my nerves when I go out there. (I have pretty bad "performance anxiety.")
I will probably start practicing a month before the test in the test outfit I'm gonna wear at least once a week. Of course, if you have always practiced in a dress, this doesn't apply to you!
Mind your FI mohawk on the 5 step. And especially, watch out for that 4th step of the 5 step mohawk. Really bend those knees and extend your free leg!!! Watch the extension of your free leg!!! Also, no hopping your mohawk! Bring your foot together before each mohawk. Bend those knees to make it easier to bring the foot together (and give you more stability on the mohawk glide.) JUdges want to see nice easy glides!!!
Mind your crossovers (both forward and backwards!!!) They better be crossed over (actually think crossed under as opposed to crossed over.)
For the alt. forward crossovers, the extension is a critical part of it. And no, it's not JUST when you hold your FI edge. They watch for the one when you push off on your FO just before you cross over!!! Also, you better be curving your edges, especially if you have a small rink.
For the alt. back crossovers, watch those BI edges. Lean more towards the outside BI edge and CURVE IN!!! (Yes, they watch for that too. I had pretty good speed on this one, but the edge quality was not as great and THAT is the secondary focus.)
Do NOT cut the corners at the ends of the rink!!! Judges HATE that! They want to see full coverage of the ice!!! CURVE your edges to make your lobes smaller so you can fit your pattern in your rink. (Of course, I haven't done that in practice in at least a few WEEKS!!!) :roll: :frus:
You need POWER on pretty much ALL the moves. And at least a certain amount in the 5 step mohawk, even those its emphasis is edge quality and extension. You better be moving at a pretty good clip across the rink in the least amount of strokes, particulary around the ends of the rink!!! No chickens on the ice!!! :P
Mind your edge on the push off into the next power 3's on the forward power 3's. Don't do what I do and turn your foot to adjust after stepping down. You have to step down right into a strong FO edge for the next FO3. (On second thought, don't step down right into a strong FO edge... PUSH into a strong FO edge!!!)
You will probably see that you have a strong side and a weak side depending on which direction you jump or spin on the forward power 3's. For most people, their LFO3 are strong than their RFO3. I'm the opposite, since I spin and jump clockwise!!!) In any case, you'll probably find yourself practicing your weaker side twice as much as you do your stronger side!
Hope that helps a bit!!! And again, thank you to all you guys for your support!!! You guys are the BEST!!!

sk8pics
08-03-2004, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the tips! Sounds like many of the same things my coaches have said to me. And my primary coach has warned me about that 4th step on the 5 step mohawk, saying I was stepping too flat. Good to know!

I'm sorry you feel you didn't skate your best, but you'll only get better!

Pat

Debbie S
08-03-2004, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the advice! Looks like I definitely have my work cut out for me!

jenlyon60
08-03-2004, 09:03 AM
On this whole test, if in doubt, work on getting more power... this is what I have noticed from watching several Adult Bronze tests at different test sessions. And having a nearly flat FO edge that goes off the circle after the BO is a kiss of death in my neighborhood.

The bulk of the Bronze MIFs emphasize power in one way or another... and remember, power does not always mean speed.

NCSkater02
08-03-2004, 09:07 AM
I have pretty bad "performance anxiety."

Hey! Are you related to me? My husband says he can see me trembling from across the rink! :lol:

jazzpants
08-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Hey! Are you related to me? My husband says he can see me trembling from across the rink! :lol: Prolly! My primary coach always had to remind me to not clench my fist and "BREATHE, BREATHE, WOMAN!!!" :lol: (Last night it was "That looks good! Now could you do that again and BREATHE too???" I jokingly said "I have to do ALL THAT... AND BREATHE TOO???" 8O :lol: )

The bulk of the Bronze MIFs emphasize power in one way or another... and remember, power does not always mean speed.Yes, this is very important to remember!!! It's not just "moving at a pretty good clip", but "moving at a pretty good clip across the rink in the least amount of strokes." (Maybe I should change my phrasing to "make sure you get the most push for your one stroke!") They want to see that when you push, you use the entire blade and you push into the edge. Toe scratchings are a MAJOR no-no!!! BEND THOSE KNEES and keep your back straight!!! And for those who do not use their knees, I'll tell 'ya they'll HURT at first, but supposedly you'll get used to them after a while!!!

Yes, that 4th step on the 5 step mohawk is also the "kiss of death" for a LOT of testers... including this current test session!!! It sure killed me!!!